Flint, MI
Baker College Center for Graduate Studies

1 Rating

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Baker College Center for Graduate Studies

Sara

I love this school! It is 100% online, so some of my ratings do not pertain to my school. There is not a campus we attend, so I have never personally met my instructors or fellow students, but they are always available. My instructors give their personal phone numbers out and will take your call until midnight (most times).

Karen

I enjoy the set up for this school. They do a good job with making sure you know what your doing to succeed. They start you off with making sure your not set up to fail.

What do people really wear to class?

Because the classes are online, it is whatever we want.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Because it was one of the few schools that offer the courses that I wanted to take with an online setting.

The students here are a great learning resource. Each person has different points of views on a topic that you may not of made the connection for. We are all different ages, have different careers, and are at different levels in life and education.

That we are all the same. No we are all in different levels of life and have different reasons on continuing our education.

Hani

Baker College offers a very flexible way of teaching students. Most of Baker college students attend online classes which give them the opportunity to improve their lives and future careers!

What are the most popular classes offered?

The most popular classes offered by Baker College are the Java classes. Java is a programming language that is widely used in different applications. The syntax and codes in Java language are very similar to C++.

I love my school. I think that online schooling is the best thing that could have ever happened for me. I am able to have my interest peaked from day one to the end of the six week course. I have found that online classes just work for me, and I'm learning in a new way that I never though possible. And it is actually sticking with me! I think that people need to realize that online school is not for everyone, and even then every online school is not for everyone. You need to find a school that meets your personal needs, just like you do if you go to an actual campus school. But, when you find the right fit, the combination is magical!

I am not really sure about all of the activities and groups that the students at Baker College Online participate in. I know that there are certain clubs that are on every campus that are available to our online students, such as NSCS. Being an online school though, we do not have as many activities or groups as some of the other schools may have.

The students at my school are very diverse. There are students from all walks of life, students who are older than me, students who are younger than me and students who are my age. There are students who have children, students who have grandchildren and students who have none. There are students fresh out of high school and students who are starting over after pursuing a different career.

Academics is very competitive at my school. Since you go to an online school, academics is the one thing that we all have in common. Class participation is very common, and even in some schools required on a daily basis. I think that Baker Online works with its professors to make sure that everyone has a tailored experience when taking a class. While my professor may not know what I look like, they do know my name and they do pay attention to what I have to say. Also, Baker Online gears its students towards getting a career after graduation. They make sure that you have the tools needed to succeed after their courses. All in all, Baker Online is a very well rounded school, and I couldn't be prouder of the school that I am attending.

I attend an online school. There is definitely a stereotype associated with online schools. People think they are not as hard, you don't really learn the information, and it is much easier to cheat your way through to a degree. Going to an online school is definitely not for everyone. It takes a lot of self-discipline and a lot of time management. In my opinion, you learn more than at a regular school. I have to make sure that I know my information before an assignment is due, while in a regular class I had someone telling me all of the information. Also, the courses are much shorter in length, so my interest is kept a lot longer than in a regular course.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I wanted to go to an online school that allowed me to still be a part of the onsite college life experience. I wanted to be able to go to the school, and still be able to go up to my school when I would like. I also wanted there to be small classes sizes so I could have that one on one experience that I always wanted in order to succeed in the classroom. At most Universities the classrooms are very large, but with Baker it is still a University, but has the small classrooms.

The most popular student activities or groups would be to just be with one another outside of the class room. There are study groups all over the place, and there are always activities to get you more involved in the college life experience. I know that I have met many people even going fully online through the online school experience and being able to talk and email the fellow students. It is also nice that being a part of the online schooling we are also able to go up to the school and hangout at events or go to the school library, and be around other students that are online or going to the classes at the school. Baker makes all the students feel equal.

The students in the school feel that they are accepted. I know that I am an online student at Baker which I find to be very nice. I know that with my classes we put up a bio of ourselves in the first week of every class as well as a picture of ourselves so that our fellow students are still able to know who we are. The students are always talking about their future and what their goals are each week. There is a discussion board so that we can all talk to each other including our teacher, which allows all of the students to be able to know one another very well. A lot of the teachers use this discussion board to talk about feelings and to talk about our goals for each week. Having this as a part of the class allows us to have a positive attitude and to help one another in the class.

The academics at Baker are great. All of my teachers have all known my name, and always send emails and phones calls when I needed help with anything in the class. I feel that the teachers are there to help me and not just to teach and earn their paycheck. The school has hired teachers that love to teach, and do very well at teaching the classes that they do. The teachers also all seem to have a very heavy background in the profession that they are teaching classes on. I am currently going for Human Resource Management, and my favorite class that I have taken was my speak class, due to giving very in depth speaks through webcam each week. I feel that the education that I have received is geared toward me getting a job when I am done, and also getting involved with other students and through the Baker sites such as their Facebook link can keep you in touch with other students, and others throughout the school.

Shannon

I attend Baker College through their online program, so it is very difficult to determine any student stereotypes in this type of environment. I definitely feel that this is a plus for students because the students are able to focus on their studies without being labeled as a certain "type" of student, which can ultimately hinder a students ability to learn.

Ibrahim

Baker college online and center for graduate studies has some of the best programs in the country, each course is aimed at bringing out the best in each students, the instructors each have their own style of teaching but they all adhere by the institutions guidelines, the admissions department consists of well experienced counselors that strives to get students the right type of help, from financial aid to degree evaluation. Whether you choose the traditional classroom or prefer to go online, you can be sure that you're getting the very best of what Baker college has to offer, Baker College recognizes the diversity of its students and works hard to make their experience an enjoyable one.

Baker College is not for the lazy, you must be determined to succeed, interaction is very important in Baker studies and you are expected to meet or exceed the expected standards.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to work is definitely the student academic office, there are numerous jobs from clerks to administrative assistant, your financial aid adviser should be able to elaborate more on these opportunities.

What do students complain about most?

The number one issue would be the required daily posting on the discussion board for online students and for on campus students, it would be the very limited choice of honor societies.

On campus, we have students supporting various societies, I'm actively involved in the N.S.C.S (National Society of Collegiate Scholars), they offer various scholarships and activities for exceptional students with G.P.A of 3.4 or higher. Online students are usually more professional and really into academics but traditional students can afford to be more flexible and enjoy dorm parties and other functions. We've had various guest speakers from actors to business leaders.

Wow! Baker College has a mixture of students, from Asians to Hispanics, everyone has their unique story, online students interact more because they have to actively participate in the discussion board, and if you are campus-based, there are activities geared towards social development, most students are generally from the Michigan area but are very open to meeting people from different background, in fact it's one of the things that makes this institution appealing to everyone.

The academic setup is well organized, Baker students are expected to be focused and determined, the courses starts out easy and then offers challenging assignments as the course progresses, being a business management major, I've tackled courses from Conflict Management to Human Resource Management, each course is six weeks and for online students you are expected to actively participate 5 out of 7 days by submitting posts in the discussion board and completing the required assignments, this must be done by 11.59 p.m. Eastern time. Every course has it's own rewards and the career center is geared towards helping you secure a job anytime.

Carolyn

Baker Online has its pros and cons like any other school. I think the best thing about Baker Online is the flexibility. Homework can be done anytime, meaning that you can set up your own schedule--as long as you submit your work on time. Class sizes tend to start off around 25 students and they usually go down in the first few weeks, meaning there is a lot of one-on-one time available. Tutoring is free and often available nearly instantly. The biggest problem students seem to have is about the technological aspects of taking an online class.

What are the most popular classes offered?

The most popular classes at Baker are probably Comp 1 & 2, because they're required for everyone in any program. Popular classes will differ depending on your major.

I'm not sure if there really is one stereotype of the students at Baker Online. However, with "online classes," people sometimes get the idea that you "didn't get into a real school" or you're lazy. Not true! You're taking an online class from a real school.

Jaclyn

The best thing about Baker College Online is I get to complete my school work online at home. I can login at any time and watch my lectures or complete school work. I still interact with fellow students in the class and have discussions just like we would in the classroom. Baker College is well known in Michigan and I have heard many good things about this school before attending this college. The only thing I would change about online course work is the requirement that you most post to the discussion board 5 days a week with two post a day. This is the most frequent complaint among students.

Since I am taking all my course work online, students are required to post in discussion forums to count towards participation. This is the only way we can interact. Sometimes it is beneficial other times it becomes just posting to get your points for the day. Students are from all ages and from all over the country. Many men and women from the military attend Baker College Online because of the convienance.

My least favorite class has been math. It is very time consuming online, you must watch the lecture, complete practice problems and then complete problems for your homework.

I am attending online so students are from various ages, races and even living in different countries.

Karen

Many people think Baker College does not measure up compared to other colleges and universities but I can tell you that Baker College offers courses that are challenging and informative. As a Baker Online student I have been sought out by and refused other colleges for completing my bachelor's degree. I have also been contacted by Universities interested in having me attend their school for my graduate degree. When I hear someone stereotype Baker College students as not having the GPA to cut it at a "real" school, I believe I am speaking with someone who really has no clue about the fantastic education Baker College is providing me.

Baker College Center for Graduate Studies administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.