Flint, MI
Baker College Center for Graduate Studies

1 Rating

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Baker College Center for Graduate Studies

Derek

Schedules are very flexible. Class sizes are smaller which allows for more student instructor interaction. People within the school administration are very helpful and polite. The school offers many different programs that range from certification to PH.D.

I enjoy it. The people are great, I feel like I learn a lot, and I feel like I will be successful in my career due to the education I am receiving.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Baker College has great Culinary Arts program, often you get some great smells when walking down the halls. They also have dining.

Intelligent and repectful. Career oriented.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Available programs, tuition cost, and class flexibility.

Tell us about your professors.

Many are experienced professionals that are very knowledgeable.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Classes in healthcare, business, and technology are by far the most popular right now. There are many different degree programs available for each which gives students lots of options.

What are your classes like?

They are very cool. There is a lot of participation through discussion boards for the online courses through blackboard. Assignments are well thoughout and explained.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

My classes are online so at home in a nice quiet place.

I currently was invited and joined the Baker College Online Chapter for the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

I am a full-time online student. I would say the online courses are challenging but geared toward anyone pursuing a higher education. Students from all around the world.

Instructors interact very much with students. I personally enjoy the technical/computer courses. There is quite a bit of class participation. The school's academic requirements are challenging but fair. The school is dedicated to preparing students as much as possible to be successful professionals in the career field of their choice.

The college I attend has many working professionals, some younger, some older, working to better there careers or to gain more knowledge in the career field the already work in.

When I enrolled in Baker College Online, it was for the convenience of attending classes while working full-time and raising two young children. It fulfilled that beyond my expectations. The staff are accessible and beyond helpful in anyway a student needs despite the distance. The courses are organized and challenging. I have attended a campus location prior to Baker and I have attended campus courses with Baker College. I have found the online courses to be more in depth and require more personal involvement. I also appreciate that I do not have to follow other student's timelines and needs. In on-campus courses, I tend to become extremely bored waiting for others to catch up and feel like me time is wasted sitting in a classroom listening to the same subject matter reiterated and people's personal discussions. This is not an issue online. Once I joined the Honor Society, I was able to meet many staff members personally including Career Advisors, the Vice President, and President of the Online College. They are all very dedicated to the education of their students and providing the greatest experience that they possibly can for them. The staff truly cares about the success of the college and their students.

The National Society of Collegiate Scholars, NSCS, (honor society) is currently the only organization recognized by Baker College Online, though the physical campuses do have their own organizations. NSCS is a fantastic organization for high achieving college students that provides many benefits and over $250,000 in scholarships to members each year. I have had numerous networking, career, and educational opportunities through this organization. Outside of this society there is little interaction outside of classroom discussion. There is a community board for students to have discussions and interact but it is only minimally utilized. Students are often busy and do not have a lot of additional time outside of classroom, career, and familial responsibilities to consort.

The students that I have met through my courses and the honor society showcase a very broad spectrum of people. They come from diverse backgrounds in every sense, age, financially, socially, politically, religiously, different areas of the country and even world. Yet they come together with little judgment through their courses. I have attended several courses that touch on very personal and controversial subjects including Principles of Ethics. Despite the nature of the courses that basically require differing opinions and personal admissions the other students have always been understanding, accepting and supportive. I have personally experienced an outpouring of support for a fellow student that admitted to having an abortion during our ethics course. Even those that did not support abortion by any means stood behind her and offered consolation and support. It was truly touching. I feel that this environment provides such a large and diverse group of generally very mature students that absolutely no one would feel out of place at this school. I have even had fellow students that are retired and simply wanted to further their educational enjoyment and practice computer skills.

The classroom environment is very fast-paced and requires students to prepare for the work environment where deadlines are short-term and have high expectations for quality. Each course is only six-weeks long, which requires students to read as much as 4 chapters per course, 5 days of classroom participation posting, and completion of many assignments in a 7 day period.The assignments are prepared by curriculum specialists to maximize learning of specific course objectives and prepare for practical application. Professors are hired due to practical experience in the field and are able to offer great advice and insight to their students. There are often other students that have or currently work in the field and are taking updating coursework. As a Finance Major, I have met many experts in the Finance field with over 20 years of experience. I have even set up phone meetings for networking with other students that work in the field. So you do not necessarily lose the advantage of contact in an online school. Baker College is considered a career college and lives up to its title. The Career Services division ensures that students are linked to a Career Advisor and that they receive training in resume writing and interviewing tactics. Most Finance courses through Baker College are delivered online and prepare students for the increasingly technological community and environment that students will be introduced into after graduation. My favorite courses have been Macroeconomics, Marketing, Emerging Nations, International Financial Markets, and Women's studies. I have enjoyed different projects that require creativity and research for these courses. Baker College also provides a large focus on global perspectives and diversity.

It is a common stereotype that online schools do not provide the same level of education and that students that attend are not as devoted to their studies. I do not believe this is accurate. As the President of the Honor Society for our campus, I have had the pleasure of being introduced to many other students in my own college and other more prestigious schools, including Harvard students. It is my opinion that our students are as intellectual and driven as any other students that I have met. Our students are often non-traditional in that they have children, are adult, and many have full-time careers as well. These external factors often drive the students at Baker College Online to succeed.

Trina

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that while grades are important, it is also important to hang on to what you learned and enjoy the experience. If you are truly interested in what you learned, the grades will follow. You learn so much in a semester, and sometimes it slips always quickly if you don't make sure to really LEARN it, not just memorize notes that you wrote down. Some things may seem like you will never use them in life, but I have found so much of what I have learned to be so helpful at the most unexpected times. College passes quickly, and you'll want to make sure you seized every opportunity possible to learn, make friends, and try new things.

People should attend this school if they love a hands-on experience that is constantly moving and changing. They emphasize real world information, putting you directly into the field in which you will be working. You are constantly being challenged, so they are only putting the best of the best out there. If you respond well to a busy, fast-paced environment with lots of visual learning, this is the school for you.

People shouldn't attend this school if they are uncomfortable with a fast-paced environment. The semesters are shorter than most universities, which means that every class goes the full length and you are constantly learning and moving through the semester very quickly. You get a lot of information in a very short period of time. It's very exciting and keeps you on your toes, but if you prefer the longer semesters with the information spread out across a few more weeks, this is not the school for you.

Baker College Center for Graduate Studies administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.