Lewiston, ME
Bates College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bates College

Caleb

Bates is a beautiful small college with professors who care deeply about their students and who are always happy to speak with students if they need help. The dining commons are especially excellent. Academics and courses are also superb. The Bates Outing Club is amazing and they go on kinds of trips all over the country.

Anais

If you're looking for a small, liberal arts education with very limited distractions, Bates College may be the place for you. Bates College is extremely small and personally, I find the small environment to be a perfect place to live in. It's extremely easy to gain leadership experience and have a close connection with students + teachers. However, if you're really big into sports, this division three school might not have the largest fan base.

Brianna

Bates College is a truly awesome place. The people are so friendly and interesting, and are welcoming to everyone. The community within Bates as well as in the city of Lewiston is a very special one, and being able to interact and get out in the community is such a great experience. Bates has helped shape me as a person and I am grateful for it!

Hayley

I love this place! I'm a freshman and have only been here a little over 3 months, but so far my experience at Bates has been great. There's a strong sense of community and everyone looks out for and helps one another, and while classes can be very difficult, the professors are generally accessible and want us to succeed. There's tons of extracurricular opportunities as well, there's generally something happening every night and it seems pretty easy to get involved.

Will

We visited Bates recently and it was the nicest school we saw in Maine, Vermont and Mass. It has a very communal feeling and the location of the school in the neighborhood of the town is simply fantastic. The town is edgy but is very convenient to Maine attractions and transportation. The facilities are lovely and the students were all very helpful in helping us navigate things. We just got the feeling there was a lot of school spirit and the students were all very friendly and outgoing. The new residences that opened this fall were beyond spectacular and the food was tops. Highly Recommend.

s

Stunning, elite institution. There is nothing I found fault with.

Stunning, elite institution. There is nothing I found fault with.

Paige

Bates is an excellent school that is an intellectually rewarding challenge that fosters great relationships with professors and students and is a great place to have fun. While classes may be difficult, most professors are sure to keep you intrigued and many are just really nice people. Socially, there are so many different kinds of groups, and it's pretty common to be involved in more than one group, which is widely accepted and even preferred. Bates has great extracurricular activities, ranging from musical lessons and a cappella groups to dance and sports to knitting clubs and even a competitive eating club- the fat cats. Weekends are full of fun with parties if you're into those, or theme nights like bingo night or themed dances. The outdoors are great since we're surrounded by so many beautiful parks and mountains, even right near campus are great places to bike or run to. FOOD: Great dessert, mac and cheese is awesome, BRICK OVEN PIZZA, ice cream and fro-yo, vegan pad thai, great restaurants in the area, late night snacks at the den, sundae sundays, and great staff. Also, we do have vegetables and fruit but that's not as exciting as an awesome slice of pizza or John Corrie's cheesecake (sing for choir and you'll get at least 3 pieces). Bates is an awesome place, and if you're an awesome person who is accepting of differences, openminded, and a bit quirky, you'll have a great time here.

Joshua

I was so uptight and anxious in highschool that first and foremost, I would tell myself to just relax. I was at an extremely competitive public school where grades seemingly meant everything to everyone. It was so easy to just tunnel vision on that and not focus on simple things such as having fun. I would tell myself to pass up doing some homework assignment after school and instead take my friends up on their offer for an ultimate frisbee game. At the same time, I know that without all of my hard work in school, I would not have had the opportunity to attend such an amazing institution as Bates. Thus, balance is key. Also do yoga-- it's awesome.

I really wish I had known how strong the arts department here is. Not only do artsy people take these classes, but athletes as well. The classes are a ton of work and thus the athletes take them because of passion and not just as an easy course. The people here are so multi-faceted (in a good way) that I was a little bit shocked by the contrast between my two schools.

I recently transferred to Bates college which has given me such a unique perspective on differing student bodies. Bates is so diverse that there is no singular factor to describe a type of person to attend this school save kindness. Coming to a new school midway through the semester was one of the most intimidating things I had ever done. The transition was made so much easier and possible due to people reaching out, showing genuine interest, and most importantly: just being friendly. Any type of person can and should attend Bates: it's an all inclusive caring college.

Fatima

Dear Future Fatima , I want you to know that you are a beautiful and smart young woman! Grades do not define you so do not beat youself up about them. I know your hardworking and your very determined. Your drive will allow you to accomplish many tasks, overcome obstacles and become more independent. Please do not linger in fear, push yourself to new limits and do not ever be afraid to ask for help. Everyone at your school wants to help and advisors want to see you succeed. ASK QUESTIONS! Speak up Fatima, do not let self- doubt possess you. Everything you will learn and the new experiences you will gain will only make you become a stronger individual. Your very ambitious and remember to stop comparing yourself to others, its not a race so remember that every person you meet has a similar vision to you. Help each other out and do not forget where you gave from, many family members have gave up their dreams in order to help you pursue yours. Lastly, look in the mirror and tell yourself your awesome everyday! Now go tell another classmate or friend! Love you Girl, xoxo

I wish I would have known that my financial aid package would dramatically increase from year to year. I just recieved my financial package and money is already due for school on August 1st. My bill nearly doubled and I feel helpless. I will have to work more hours to pay off what I owe I refuse to take out a federal perkins loan.

The worst thing about my school is the availability of diverse food sources. In my entire campus we have one dining hall and we also have a Den which is a late night food place. I think Bates could use more ethnic food sources, I know this may be hard considering the ethnic diversity of the campus but I do believe that maybe once a week the kitchen staff could incoporate an ethnic dish in the menu.

Jacob

Bates is a small liberal arts college that embraces diversity and has many students with a deep passion for learning and growing.

Coming into college at the beginning of the semester, I felt as though I would be content with being introverted. To me, spending time studying in my dorm room could take the place of being social on weekends, and that’s how my first semester has gone. What I’ve realized is that this isn’t something I want. It has only been within the last month that I’ve discovered that I need to take a few steps out of my comfort zone. I wish I could tell my high school self to be more social and relaxed at the outset. Even though I’ve realized now that I want to make more friends and get involved, I’m not sure how to. I have a solid group of a few friends whom I eat meals with, but overall I haven’t found my niche. I want to seize the day, but I feel as though I’m being held back by myself. This was a problem for me in high school, and I don’t want history to repeat itself. The next time my roommate asks me if I want to drive to Freeport, I must say yes.

Bates is a great place to be, because the students are all academically oriented and very open and accepting toward each other. I haven't met a single Batesie whom I can't have a cordial conversation with. For this reason, I feel safe expressing my views and really finding myself on the Bates campus.

Bates College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.