Bemidji, MN
Bemidji State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bemidji State University

John

Nice, down to earth students who are eager to learn and study.

Nice, down to earth students who are eager to learn and study.

Don't decide on a major unless you are 100% certain what you want to do. Give yourself at least a year to get general education classes out of the way so that you don't "waste" credits on a class that you won't need for a degree if you switch majors. College is a great experience, but you don't want to spend the first 3 years switching to 5 different majors until realizing what you want to do with a career.

I have gotten a lot of experiences out of going to college. I have recently transferred to BSU from Concordia College because I couldn't afford the high tuition costs anymore and they didn't have a very good physical therapy program there. So transferring has been quite an experience in itself, making me more independent and more prone to ask questions when I don't know what to do. Before I transferred, college helped make me more independent from my mother. I finally had to fill out paper work for myself and do everything on my own without her help. I lived in the dorms at Concordia the last year and a half, and in doing that helped me become an adult and start doing things on my own. It was like that middle step from moving out of your parent's house into your own house minus paying all the monthly bills. So in doing that really helped me and now I am living in my own place paying my own monthly bills and I think it was good timing and I feel like I'm ready to be more independent.

I think the best thing about BSU is how diverse the campus is. There are so many people with various different baackgrounds that attend college here. This is a great thing because you get to meet different types of people everywhere you go, it's an experience in itself to see and talk to people, people who gre up in a different country or grew up in a different type of household.

I believe this college is meant just about for anyone. You can find basically any type of person here and so anybody would fit in well at this college.

Enjoy having a good time and being on the lake.

Enjoy having a good time and being on the lake.

I have grown in knowledge about health in the world around me. My communication skills have benefited from coursework and presentations. Required to take liberal education credits in various fields, I was encouraged and found that I enjoyed learning about topics I would never had studied without the requirements. My networking and professional qualities have multiplied and have taken me in directions that I hadn't thought of prior to college. I recommend college to anyone!

Do not attend if you do not like cold weather.

Brooke

Bemidji is the best school to attend: it's small, quaint and the professors are amazing.

While attending Bemidji State University, I have become more independent and I have became aware of who I want to be as a person. Being here, I have found myself and a passion that I want to carry throughout my life. The Mass Communications department at Bemidji State has given me so many opportunities to express who I am. I get to be on the local radio station every Thursday, and when I'm on there, everyone is listening to me. I love that aspect about being a Mass Communications major. I have gotten so much out of Bemidji State in a semester, that I cannot wait what else the professors can throw at me. Bemidji State has been worth every penny.

The worst thing about my school would be that it is located in the Northern part of Minnesota, which means it is very cold here and there is always a lot of snow.

Monica

Bemidji State University offers a very distinct climate that cannot be found anywhere else. The school provides multiple experiences for people who enjoy the outdoors, sports and a supportive, inclusive education. The school is known for being diverse and meeting the needs of all students who attend. One of the most unique aspects of this school is the infrastructure which includes underground tunnels linking buildings together. This provides students with shelter and comfort from the often excruciating cold winter months. The school is located on Bemidji Lake, which is used for recreation and parking once it turns to ice.

Without my college education I would not have provided with the many different opportunities that I have had, including working in corrections, working with students of all backgrounds in the education system, and working in a unique partial inpatient setting for youth. I thank my college education for that, but also for providing me with a chance to meet new people, network with others who have similar interests and gain a more realistic view of life. College also taught me the value of different literature, writing skills, speaking skills, studying skills and diligence. Allowing myself the chance to attend college and ultimately graduating from college has brought me awareness of the importance of imparting these skills to my children and the children I may work with. Without an education you begin to limit your opportunities and a chance at finding and maintaining a successful career, but more than that, a person without a college education loses out on social, physical and mental experiences that college can provide.

Anyone who is looking for a diverse education, professors and staff that are truly concerned with your future, opportunities for recreation in both summer and winter months, hockey fans and those seeking a flexible, educational experience should attend this university. It offers diverse education for many different disciplines, as well as an open, friendly climate. There seems to be something for everyone at this school and they often work in connection with the local technical school in order to provide a more well-rounded and individualized prospect for the students attending.

Claire

I think that's it's a gorgeous setting and I think that they help a lot with PSEO students. In fact, I think a lot of students there get the opprotunity to take classes at the college then it feels else were. I think that it's small enough so you can know your teacher, but at the same time big enough so you don't know everyone always.

Like a storm hitting you initally, college can feel overwhelming. You have to really learn to stand on your own to feet as a newly freed young adult and a lot of the time people don't fully grasp the reason they're at college. I know I was blown away the first few weeks of school, I was 16 years old and a new mother starting PSEO. It was in a word, terrifying. I'm now a sophmore and I've got the flow of this storm tucked under my belt. My experiences are amazing with new people, teachers that know their stuff and are blunt, and the atmosphere. The freedom and depending on yourself, pushing yourself is what counts. You need to learn that valueable lesson or you're never going to make it. College teaches you to be your own person and find your own way, whether it be through mistakes. You realize that there is so much more that just your "small town," that you're used too. College is also become a necessity in our times, and being a single mother? I work hard knowing it will make both our lives easier in the future.

I like to tell them about how easy it is to make friends. I also tell them that as long as you stay focused and work hard and keep up with assignments and reading, that college classes aren't hard (because I'm PSEOing). I like to tell them how much more freedom you have and how easier it is to focus in class because students are paying for classes, so trying to get their penny's worth.

Andrew

Bemidji state is a great place to get an excellent education.

Bemidji state is a great place to get an excellent education.

I would have concentrated on academics a bit more while playing varsity hockey and baseball. I found that as a freshman, the transition is difficult enough, but playing two sports and adjusting to college life (a school previously attended) put me in a position where I had to work hard for average grades. Grades and academic work first and play later. The schools provide amble opportunities to play club hockey or ameteur baseball without a great deal of pressure that goes with playing a major college sport.

A person that likes a rural college (8500 in Bemidji) that likes to do outdoor activities should attend Bemidji State University. They have excellent varsity hockey, so you must be a fan. The community is fairly diverse and growing quickly, so shopping and social opportunities are improving. Students that come here must be focused and prepared to be challenged. Also, being a bit out-going and ready to try new things would be helpful.

Chelsey

its sports teams, and its nursing programs

its sports teams, and its nursing programs

just make sure you have fun and take time for yourself. dont get too caught up in all the stress of the year. School is there for a reason, and you are here to be a better person. Keep a level head, and remember your purpose. Love you!

the best thing about this school is the diversity of the students and the friendliness and accepting nature of everyone there

Janessa

I would advise my past self to go take Calculus I over again. I took AP Calculus in highschool, and passed the AP test, but I believe it would have been good for me to retake the class. Starting out in Calculus II as my first college math course on campus was difficult . I may have done better in the class if I had known more what to expect. I have matured in my first semester of college and would have handled the course better to have waited just a semester. I would also advise my past self to not go home as often. My home is only about eighty miles from campus, so I ended up going home quite often. All college freshmen are scared their first semester, I should have stayed in Bemidji and participated in activities. I sometimes wonder what would be different if I had chosen my top choice of colleges. Concordia College in Moorhead was my top choice, but even with financial aid I could not afford tuition. I would advise my past self to go ahead and spend the extra money for Concordia. I like Bemidji, but I loved Concordia campus when I visited.

Almost any type of person may attend Bemidji State University. It is a great college, with a variety of majors, to fit many kinds of people. I would not reccommend Bemidji State to "city" people. Bemidji is a small town, but there are still many activities going on. If you come from a tiny town, like I did, Bemidji is a nice - and not too scary- step up.

The most frustrating thing about Bemidji State University is that it is in Northern Minnesota. It gets COLD here. Any temperature above zero feels like a heat wave. Bemidji State University has a tunnel system, so its only a short walk outside before the wind is blocked again. The tunnel system is nice to have, but easy to get confused in. The tunnels are not always warm either.

Bemidji State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.