California State University-Long Beach Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-Long Beach

Amilcar

Overall Cal State Long Beach is a great school. The campus is beautiful and always buzzing with things to do. The clubs and greek life are vast and entertaining and the academic facilities are top notch. The night life is also very lively which makes fro a great weekend.

Javier

The University is a very secure and expansive environment, where students are able to learn and thrive within the best academics an institution of higher education can offer. Professors are always looking out for their students and ensuring the students receive the best possible education they can offer. Students support each other in their academic and social goals in order to advance their success in school and later in life.

Charitey

When I first step foot on this campus as a transfer student, I was pleasantly surprised to see such welcoming staff and students. The first two weeks of attending this campus required a lot of getting used to and adapting to new environments. As overwhelming as it was, having such kind and helpful people all around really helped me enjoy this transfer experience more than I had expected. I appreciate that the professors on this campus have a true passion for the subjects that they teach. The professors that I've had so far all encourage us to engage with our classmates during and outside of class, which helped me a lot when it came to studying for exams. These professors were more than willing to help me after class, during office hours, and even outside of office hours if needed. They helped me to their best ability by using different examples than given in class and going in depth so I can clearly understand the lesson that was given that week. I took advantage of the free services they provide on campus and I met up with several counselors with different backgrounds of expertise just to experience what it's like and also to get aid for the future with the tips they provided. The campus is structured in a way where it's easy to navigate my way around and is filled with several spots to eat, study, and lounge. I didn't have high expectations coming into this campus but now being a full-time student for over a year has made me appreciate the entirety of CSU Long Beach.

Annika

It is my backup school, but I've learned to like it a lot. The Rec Center is great but the campus is big enough that I never got a Freshman 15. There is a wide diversity of people both socioeconomically and ethnically. All of the professors I've encountered so far really care about the students and they're very accessible for office hours/before and after classes. Academics aren't too difficult. A lot of food options (although it can get expensive) and just a chill vibe overall.

anneray

I really like my school, our campus is beautiful and we have access to so many different resources. Although, I wish our social life on campus was more active, the students who do participate make it great! I would have to say after experiencing my first semester that the professors are very helpful with their students as well as other students who have attended the school even longer. Within college costs, I just hope I'm able to complete my schooling and living at Cal State Long Beach, GO BEACH!

Aleria

California State University of Long Beach is a very big diverse campus where there are many things that are available to do. Everyone on the campus is very friendly and easy to get along with. I have no complaints of any sort of this campus. Being at this school was a good choice for me in my opinion.

Susan

As a first year student at California State University Long Beach, I can say that my time residing within the university will consist of, an adventure that lies within each day spent on and off campus. For, there has yet to be a dull day within CSULB.

Federico

I think California State University - Long Beach is a great college overall. The campus has a very laidback vibe and the people in the surrounding area are always friendly. There are always lots of events to participate in and the arts program is highly rated. I love my college!

Lizbeth

Having been at California State University- Long Beach for three years, I've come to deeply understand my school. Personally, I have loved CSULB every second and have always been thankful for choosing this school. The environment that CSULB provides to students is nurturing in all aspects. It allows all students to become involved in whatever they are interested. Being on campus never fails to remind me that I am surrounded by like-minded people who want to better their lives in all ways. My school has contributed not only to my education, but also to my mental/physical wellness, and confidence. I strongly believe that I'm attending a school that will help me succeed.

Ether

Its an amazing school. Literally everything is here, food clothing. Everyone here is chill, and easy to talk to, even some of the professors! These professors are here for us to succeed, and I have learned so much in short time I have been here so far. Its so far the best college I've seen.

kayla

it looks like a great learning environment and the student life is very interactive. The campus is so so so beautiful and very clean and i love that the campus is near the beach, makes me want to attend even more. I can't wait to apply and hopefully attend next fall

Cal State Long Beach is a good school, I'm really grateful that they provide tap cards for students to take the bus to get to school because lots of students live far away and haven't gotten their license yet. The school has a great art program and offers many different art classes for students to take such as life drawing, animation, illustration, ceramics, print making, etc. There's even an on campus art store for students to buy their art supplies and avoid having to constantly search outside of school for their materials. The library has five floors and has computers and printers for students to use. The second floor is a quiet area filled with children's books and other books as well (I always go up there to get my work done or to just draw in my sketchbook). I have so far had friendly and supportive teachers who have their set office hours but are willing to set up a time to meet with you if you can't make it to their office hours. I haven't tried the food on campus (I pack my own lunch), but there is a food court and an ASI building were students can go and play video games, ping-pong, or even go bowling. The advisors are a bit difficult to get a hold off since they're very busy. I have had a very stressful time with them when I was registering for my second semester. I was trying take a math class that I needed but I needed "Department Consent" so I called my advisors from the school of art and asked for help, they tried but failed so then they had me visit the Math Department. The Math Department didn't help either, they confused me more, and then they tried sending back to my art advisors again to get help. In the end, I wasn't able to register for the math class. I also wish that we could have the freedom to explore other majors and take other classes, it feels like everyone is rushed to find their major and take the classes needed in order to graduate in time.

Isabella

I love CSULB for its diverse community and location. This school has a main emphasis on accessibility to their professors allowing students to hone in on their academic success. A perk of this school is the close proximity to many things such as the beach, Disneyland, and downtown Los Angeles.

Great school. Well known and well liked by students, faculty and the community. There are many things to do, many ways to meet other students and engage with your teachers. The academic advisors are very helpful. The school has many programs to help academically and financially, which is necessary for success. Overall, very accommodating and friendly.

Kaitlyn

I believe Long Beach State is a great school that gives its students the skills needed to become successful adults. The school is very inclusive and does not tolerate any form of racism or discrimination. I believe the school has a great value and works hard to see the students succeed.

Estrella

It is a nice campus and people are friendly but I imagined it would be more diverse. The professors are very approachable and people are willing to help you as much as they can. The transit system is great and very affordable for college students. There are lots of places to hang out at.

Honestly, CSULB wasn't my first choice when I started applying to colleges. After my first semester, however, I couldn't imagine going to school anywhere else! All of my teachers were amazing, and I even managed to get a job on-campus as a research assistant (shoutout to Dr. Cargile!). I live in the Beachside college off-campus housing and it's very nice. The rooms are a nice size, bigger than I expected, and we even have a sink in our room. The shuttle service can be iffy at times, but overall they're on-time and surprisingly clean. The food was much better than I was expecting, as well. There are fresh fruits and veggies every day, and the menu has a great deal of variety. Overall, I love my school and I cannot wait to return for my next semester! :)

Savannah

I think it is a good school. Teachers are alwasy ready to help you learn. Teachers also have office hours so you can go to them with any questions you might have. Not only that we also have tutors that can help you with any subject, so not only you can get help from teachers you also can get help from others. In addition we have a library that has group floors and quiet floors. In my overall opinion I think that this school is an amazing school and that they really do care about the education for their students. I’m glad to be attending this school because I feel that I’m actually learning the material, while other schools don’t do the extra mile that these schools do.

I studied Kinesiology. Human Biology is as close to the options they offer on here. I love this school. I'm still working for their Student Recreation & Wellness Center as a fitness instructor. I think I disliked one instructor over all the years I attended this school as a student. I received a excellent education and my experience as a student was wonderful. Both my niece and nephew followed me and they love it too.

Sierra

From what I have seen, CSU Long Beach is a very nice place to go to school. There is a very active campus life in the classroom and outside of it. There are many places to hang out on campus and off campus. Being close to downtown long beach, There is always something to do when class is out.

Allie

Overall THe atmosphere created on the campus is warm and welcoming. All of the professors I've had so far and all of the professors my friends have has tended to be very friendly and are often willing to help out students in any way possible. There are many locations on campus where you can find help with writing papers and study, and also places to have fun.

Victoria

I love my school. The scenery. The essential parts of the school are made by wonderful people who have the power to improve everything they can, so that us, students, are comfortable, safe and happy, while still managing to learn at the same time. I am content.

Georgina

California State University, Long Beach is a highly ranked school and with good reason. The academics are spectacular. Courses are engaging and students leave the school ready to find their career. This university is very competitive and hard to get into. Student acceptance is very low.

Ariel

CSULB is pretty average. They have a very diverse academic agenda and the professors are willing to help. However, if you're not actively involved or a social butterfly, you won't get anywhere. Still, csulb has lots of programs and help if needed. There is diversity, but still predominately lacking in certain areas to accommodate other cultures. There is a bit more white and Hispanic services.

Raul

It's a great school. It feels like a safe and second home. All the professors and students are great. All the classes are also great. Places such as the library and the horn center are great places to study for exams and do homework. The advisors are really helpful. If you ever have a questions about classes or concerns about other things, you can ask them.

Haleigh

There are a lot of "great!"s and a lot of "meh"s about this campus. Overall, the community and culture on this campus are what makes going here so worth it. I absolutely love it here simply for the types of people you're always running into. Not to mention how much they care about students and staff here. There are so many amenities and activities available to us that tell us that we're important here and not just another paycheck for administrators. Go Beach!!!

Iulia

This Fall I am starting my junior year at CSULB. Generally speaking, the college has good academic standarts and great social mobility among graduates. Most of the teachers are really passionate and caring. The college allows much flexibility: you can enroll as an "undeclared" student and choose your major after a while, which is a great option. Many of the majors are highly impacted and you are not guaranteed admission to specific majors (especially art majors). I have been living in dorms for two years. I DO NOT recommend living on campus: the facilities are old and small; there was no air conditions as well. Bathrooms are nasty. There was always something broken. The dining hall was good enough, but expect to gain 15 pounds because of a lot of fast food. There are many clubs and organizations, but I found them not well-organized. There is a good free gym for students and many sports.

My approach to college before attending CSULB was one of being on time to my classes, going through them back-to-back, and then promptly going home. Being at CSULB has opened my eyes to real diversity, opportunity, and free expression that I sorely needed to boost my interest in my path to success. There is never a shortage of events to attend, organizations to be a part of, or interests to be piqued within just one walk across the campus. CSULB has shown me the potential a college can have to motivate you simply by its atmosphere and it is still on a path to doing even more for its community of students, faculty, and others of academic standing.

Lexis

CSULB is an awesome school and I can’t wait to apply. Its seems really cool that it’s 15 minutes from the beach and the campus is beautiful. This would probably be one of my dream schools to go to. Not to mention its really close to Disneyland as well!

Noa

i love study in this college because their is a lot of foreign students and they are helpful and very kind. the location of this college is very close to where i lived and it just five minutes walking distance and i don't have to worry about getting extra expenses

Kristine

California State University of Long Beach is overall a good school. There is a lot of diversity within the student population and there is a strong sense of community within the students. There are many extracurriculars and clubs that are available for students as well.

Great school to go to learn and have fun! They always offer great opportunities for students you just have to know where to go. The staff and students are extremely friendly and will always help with whatever you need. Most teaches require books that are affordable and if there is any problems they can lead you to the right direction.

Alexis

I love CSU Long Beach. It has a great campus with accommodating stores, restaurants, resources, and a library. It's big, but not hard to get around, especially with the shuttles that circle around campus all day! The student body seems pretty diverse and the faculty that I have encountered show genuine care for their student's success. I am a freshmen living on campus, and my experience here has been good. The dining hall has a pretty wide selection of food and it actually tastes good! My only concern is being able to afford attending this school. It's quite expensive, and I have another sibling in college so the bills have been piling up. I'm afraid I won't be able to continue my education here, and it terrifies me. Studying at Long Beach, has given me this strange boost of motivation I never had back at home in the Bay Area. I really wish to finish my studies here and graduate in the next 4 years because I feel like this is the right place for me.

Joseph

Long Beach State is definitely a place to behold. It is a gorgeous campus with a very diverse crowd of students, considering it's a commuter school. My experience thus far has been absolutely amazing in that in my short time here, I've already found lifelong friends and created an abundance of memories to reminisce on in my later years of life. I hope that I can continue to strive for success and greatness with CSULB as my vehicle.

Sierra

I feel like opinions of CSULB fluctuate based off of your major. There are majors that receive so much from the school, such as business majors, who have many extracurricular clubs, the majority of scholarships, and the most events revolve around them. Pretty much all of the larger majors have access to so many things. I wouldn't recommend attending if you plan on majoring in some of the smaller programs. Sure, there are smaller class sizes and more personalized academics. However, it comes at the price of a lack of (good) professors, a limited amount of classes to take, and overall much less support from the school.

Kimberly

California State University-Long Beach is one of many diverse colleges California has to offer. The campus offers numerous amounts of clubs and activities for students to join. The school also offers a safe and welcoming environment for all students.

Salvador

CSULB is the flagship CSU institution. There are a vast array of services available for students. If you are committed to making a difference, you will thrive with all the resources available at CSULB. Affordability was a major factor for me and I felt that CSULB was a good social work program with experience faculty, knowledge of the field, and opportunities on-campus as well as in the community.

Jarxzelle

It has a beautiful campus and great opportunities. It is the campus that I would love to be involved in. Visiting the campus had great impact in giving the choice to go. The visit gave the school a great chance of me applying.

Spencer

One of the best public universities in the area. Great sports program and a great business program. Professors are normally readily accessible. The environment around the school is a rather great one and there is always something to be done when attending the University.

Jade

Cal State Long Beach is a great school in my opinion! However, I would not recommend in staying in the dorms if you live close by. The classes are tough but in a way that helps you grow and learn new concepts and ideas! The staff is also very friendly and their biggest concern is safety. I had my doubts at first but I warmed up to the school and realized this is the best place for me to be at. If you always wanted to be in an area near the beach and in a city type environment this is your place.

Deja

Attending California State University for the few months that I have has been a blessing. The atmosphere is both friendly and welcoming. Students are here are hardworking and open to learn. It is a diverse campus with people who don't discriminate because of color, race, disability or sexual preference. Everyone here is truly one large family. Go Beach!

Joann

CSULB is beautiful. The weather, the decorations, and even the people (maybe it's the water we're drinking). When I think of CSULB, I think of students riding beach cruisers and penny boards to class. I enjoy the diversity of the campus, where you can find races of all kinds in one classroom. I also like the different shops and restaurants where students and faculty can socialize at. But what I love about this school are the professors. I have never had such polite, respectful, and personable teachers in my life. The professors really put in effort to show they care, and they teach by example. I truly believe this creates an environment for students to thrive and feel safe, inside and outside the classroom.

Cheyenne

Overall, Long Beach is a great school. However, a big con for me is that it's very much a commuter school and the amount of students compared to the facilities (library, computer labs, benches even) available and scheduling of classes is a problem. However, a big plus for LB is it's diversity on campus.

Yaiza

I am only a first year but I quickly felt a very warm welcome from everyone here at the Beach. We quickly became a family and there are a lot of support services, I never feel alone. The campus is beautiful and the food is good as well; overall, I'm pretty pleased to say the least!

Skylar

CSULB is comprised of a very diverse group of students and staff that have no fear in making their opinions known and generally aim to keep a positive environment. The surrounding city is great as well, there's so many things to do especially downtown and its all accessible by transit which students get free. Academically, it is challenging but it has somewhat to do with poor professors which is dealt with often in Computer Science.

danny

There are much better schools out there, but #1 advantage of this school is tuition. Very cheap. Only reason I'm here

Lizbeth

I think Long Beach is a nice campus and overall a good university. Professors are nice and welcoming. They are available and flexible to help out students when they ask for help. Also, many of the advisors are nice and help students to best of their ability.The school is always renovating and something is happening. The bad thing about Long Beach is parking. The permit for a semester is about $150 and it is very difficult to find parking. It would be best to take the bus or park off campus and bike to campus. Class sizes are average about 20-30 students. For lecture halls, there are more students but it is not that bad. The campus has many convenience stores accessible and a few food places. There are many places to study which I like since I use my time more useful.

Ilona

CSULB is a school that has really allowed me to open up and show my true colors. I strongly believe that I am receiving a good education and I don't regret my decision to come to this school at all. CSULB gives off that fun and exciting college vibe that is not too overwhelming. Go Beach!

Monica

CSULB is a diverse and relaxed campus. When you think California surfer/beach vibes that's kind of this school in a nutshell. The classes aren't easy A's, but you'll learn a lot and make some life long friends. CSULB is also an extremely environmentally motivated school. We also have an amazing gym/rec center that is included in tuition. The gym offers all sorts of classes you would find at any other gym.

Alexis

It is a beautiful campus and I feel so at home on campus. I feel safe in the library and the staff is really friendly and helpful. There are job opportunities and extracurricular activities around. The school has an excellent reputation for its academics, is a commuter school and it cares about the environment. The university is right by the beach and it is an affordable school with the education level of a UC system.