California State University-Long Beach Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-Long Beach

becca

When I first came to California State University Long Beach, I was very happy to be in a welcoming environment that thrives on differences. There are various clubs that the university offers, as well as sports that students can become involved in. The campus is gorgeous, with works of art throughout. It is the perfect campus that gives off the California vibe that is chill and relaxed. The grass and trees are a perfect place to relax in the California sunshine, or study for an upcoming test. There are plenty of places to hang out with friends, or grab a bite to eat.

I am honestly really glad that I chose this school to go to! There are so many clubs to be involved in on campus which is awesome! Most of the professors are super helpful and are always available to ask questions during their office hours. All of the facilities are super nice!

Isabella

I love my school. I applied to 5 other schools, got into them all and I chose Long Beach. The people are so friendly and helpful. The Campus is beautiful and there is always something fun to do! Moving to Long Beach which is 7 hours from my family was a really scary thought. But in the end I'm glad I chose the Beach. I have amazing friends and I make new memories every day.

alan

great

Olivia

I absolutely love Long Beach State. I could not imagine attending any other university for my undergraduate career. Having lived in the dorms and joining a sorority, I have made the best of friends and have been provided with leadership opportunities, opportunities to build relationships with my professors, and am in an amazing major. I do wish Long Beach State had a community within the city of Long Beach and I wish Greek life was supported by Long Beach State as a university. I do believe that as a student I am missing out on that aspect of college, but I am still taking full advantage of what Long Beach State has to offer. For my graduate degree in Speech Language Pathology, I am hoping to attend a university with a community, but I do need to be mindful of the financial aspect. The universities I can afford are state schools, and most do not have much support with the community. But, I am working so I can provide myself with that opportunity.

Katherine

Cal State Long Beach is the most welcoming campus I've ever stepped foot on, the faculty and staff's main priority is to make sure the students get the best of the college experience. The school itself has a vast selection of majors for students to explore, along with various extracurricular activities and student resources, I definitely feel part of the Beach family and am excited for my remaining 3 years here!

Tanner

This college is a very prestigious, diverse, great college. I spend many hours in the facilities at long beach because they offer a lot of space for students to engage in studying or socializing. The students at this college are driven and want to succeed.

Adriana

CSULB is an amazing university. I personally underestimated it at first but now that I am here I would not have it any other way. Professors and staff in general are great. For the most part basically everyone here wants you to succeed. Not only is the campus and academics good but the location is perfect. Weather is amazing and there is always something good to do with friends, family or by yourself around here. Definitely recommend CSULB.

Valerie

California State University, Long Beach has provides everything I look for in a university without paying the UC or out-of-state prices. The professors are always available, food's great, atmosphere's excellent, people are very diverse, education... priceless.

Emmalee

I really love this school. The academics are great and there is a lot for this campus to offer for your academic career. The campus life isn’t that wonderful but there are somethings that the school offers for those looking for a strong campus life. On-campus housing is okay, I’ve lived on-campus for three years and at this point it’s not my favorite because it just gets mundane. It’s definitely worth living here first year, maybe second year, but not my favorite in my third year. Overall, I do enjoy the school and I’m proud to be a student at CSULB.

Tania

I feel that this campus has become my second home, because I spend most of my time here when I do not work. Cal State Long Beach offers a safe space for people of different backgrounds, so I would encourage everybody to attend our beautifully cultured campus. You will not regret your decision to attend CSULB!

Remy

This college from where I stand is the greatest college I have the pleasure of attending because I feel a sense of real world diversity in a educational and academic environment with many people from different walks of life. This college may be in a different city than mine, but it is the city that I was born in and I wish to succeed in the city that I was born in.

Alina

This college has an amazing campus area with lots of diversity, clubs and organizations, and heart. The teachers are always there to help you with anything and they truly work hard to make sure the students understand the material. I can't wait to start the year strong.

Manuel

It a great school you have many opportunities with a lot of resources you can use. Including, They send you emails to keep you up to date with events and opportunists. The clubs are very helpful with multiple workshops to help with resumes, study skills, getting internships, and many more.

Alaa

CSULB is a great school, the campus community and overall support is amazing. After attending this school for 5 years, it has become a home to me and has given me many opportunities that I have been able to take with me even after graduation. The wide variety of class selections has allowed me to take classes that have been extremely beneficial. Overall I would definitely​ recommended CSULB to anyone!

Melissa

I love this school! Not many people can say that they go to a school in a beach city. I love that I can go to class and then the beach in the same day! The nightlife and extra activities that students can do outside the campus are plenty and are great for getting to know other classmates

Nicholas

The college is great place to experience the college life that many people are looking for. I have come to know many people and genuinely love going to class. The campus is still being improved upon and that is something I can’t help but love. I would recommend this college to anyone who can afford it and I promise they’ll love their time here.

Terren

California State University-Long Beach is a very diverse campus made up of tons of extracurricular activities and organizations you can join, along with a very diverse student population from all over the United States and the world which helps expose you to many different mindsets and customs. The teachers, especially with smaller class sizes, seem to pay more attention and care a lot about the students and go the extra mile in explaining the material or anything a student may need help in. The campus is also expansive and doesn't feel like just apart of the city but completely separate and in its own little vacuum away from the outside world. If you want to be exposed to brilliant minds in a welcoming and friendly environment with plenty of things to do while learing with some very thoughtful and best in their field teachers California State University Long Beach is the place for you.

I do love going to school here. There is plenty of opportunities to get free tutoring, meet with you professors during office hours, and there are also tons of great places to study around campus. It is clear that CSULB cares about student health as well because they are always new events to promote mental and physical health. If you live on campus the dorms are small and a most of them do not have air conditioning.

Pedro

In all honesty I did a summer program in Cal State Long Beach and it was awesome, many alums and students from the college were there to help me and my friends throughout our 6 week SAT testing courses and also in our enrichment activities that awarded us for our hard work. The school is very chill and mellow and clean. The program I attended was Upward Bound.

amani

The school is beautiful and there’s always something popping off. I love being apart of the ‘sharks’ I couldn’t imagine myself anywhere else!! Academically I would say the school pushes all students of all kinds to obtain greatness in their own standards. Social life is busy and fun, and I love meeting others in my class! Love long beach !!

nathan

it the best college cause it can help you alot with you education and can provide academic.

Vanessa

Don’t get me wrong California State University Long Beach is awesome ! Just wish their policies and advisors were a little more clear. There are GREAT advisors but there are also not so great ones that can make you pull your hair out. Best rout is find one of those good advisors and enjoy college life while it lasts its great!

Diana

So I start at Cal State University Long Beach this upcoming fall and I am very excited to become part of the Beach. When I visited the campus with a friend everyone was friendly and relaxed, everyone seemed to be enjoying their semester and year at Long Beach.

Jordan

The school is nice, but mediocre at best. There are clubs that fit every individual to make great friends. This was the best part of attending school. The campus is mostly safe and never felt worried walking around. The worst part of the school are most of the students that attend here. They are very immature and would make fun of other students like it was high school all over again. This might be the same at all schools though. Community college students are a lot worse by comparison since there is no intellectual filter to attend. The campus gives you the big college experience and is beautiful for a cal state. There are lots of businesses to fit your daily needs. There isn’t much stress during the semester in the atmosphere except for midterms and finals week. A lot of the classrooms, buildings, and bathrooms look decrepit representing the amount of investment in cal states vs UCs. I would’ve been prouder to say I went to a UC.

Joshua

I’m not from the area, but this school has a little bit of everything. It’s extremely diverse in all aspects and I love that. It is also a cheaper option for college which is very nice. The school has some great academics, but not very many clubs even though the student population is huge.

wilfredo

Its a good school. Faculty is very knowledgeable. Only problem is the computer science department is very unorganized. They tend to have miscommunication with the students regarding what classes a student needs to take, but the classes themselves are very well structured.

Charlie

This is a university that cares about its students, they provide the necessary tools for students to succeed in their careers, such as labs, tutoring, rooms, recreational places for mental and physical development. This university is well located as well, so off campus life is a pleasent experience, having the beach and many shops within the zone, such as food, clothing or other facilities

Aneyda

I always recommend CSULB to incoming freshman. Reason being the environment is very welcoming, faculty and students are there to help everyone succeed, no one is every alone. CSULB has everything a student needs either new or returning. In the end the Beach has your back!

Alyssa

I absolutely love CSULB. I feel as though I am in a safe environment with plenty of opportunities to learn and get involved either on campus or in the community. The faculty care about their students and make themselves avaliable to help however they can. This institution feels inclusive and safe.

Karla

California State University, Long Beach, became a home that I so desperately needed after leaving my hometown. Adapting to the environment that was carefully cultivated by staff and the CSU administration, was one of the easiest transitions I’ve ever had to endure.

Kaylani

I have lived in Long Beach all of my life, so I am thoroughly invested and knowledgeable of the culture here. Obviously, California State University- Long Beach would be apart of that culture. I have always believed it to be a great school that many locals have taken advantage of. This school is one of the best across the nation and there is constantly improvements being made across the campus. There is a multitude of things that students and even residents of Long Beach that they can partake in; whether it's supporting the local basketball team in the Walter Pyramid, participating in Imagine Beach 2030, or visiting our beautiful Japanese Garden.

Samra

I really enjoy the people and community here. I feel like they really make my college experience worth it. So far, the academics are average to above average. There's not much competition within classes. The dorm food is either hit or miss depending on the day and the cafeteria. However, I really wish that the beach was more accessible, and that the city was less of a concrete jungle. Trees (aside from palm trees) are scarce, and there just isn't as much wildlife as I wanted. For transportation, you can buy a bus pass from the school, which is good, but it takes awhile to get from place to place, and Uber is expensive. Aside from that, I really do like CSULB.

Helen

I love the whole atmosphere that CSULB brings to its students. CSULB is a wonderful school that has professors that actually care about their students success. CSULB has so many opportunities for its students to be involved and everyone is always so welcoming!

Raechel

I love going to school at CSULB but prospective students should be aware that it is primarily a commuter school. It is possible to get involved but it is not as easy as if you were to go to a private school. We have very limited on campus housing and the school does not have sponsored apartments or off campus housing.

Albert

From my visit to this college from SOAR, I feel confident to say that I have picked the right college. I felt that the community in it is just right to be able to focus on activities after I've done my classes. I hope that I will be able to succeed in getting my degree in the four years I participate there.

Viridiana

I really enjoyed my time at CSULB. I enjoyed being on campus; CSULB felt like a second home to me. If I could do it all over again I would still choose CSULB. The professors I had were always willing to help and knowledgeable. However, CSULB is becoming extremely selective. I currently work with students and there are students with 3.7s that do not get in. I even had a student with a 3.8+ that was wait-listed.

Jasmine

California State University-Long Beach is an absolutely amazing school! The people are very friendly and everyone seems to fit in. Even though it is a pretty big school it's not hard to get your way around and to your classes on time. The professors are super nice and always make time for their students even when they are very busy. This had been my dream school since I first set foot on it back in my elementary schools days and now I am able to live the dream of actually being here.

Riley

I love this school from teachers, material, and recreations the student union puts on. Finished my first year and cant wait to go back! Opportunities arise every day within discovering something new or getting involved with something you werent before.

Galen

My professors are always well-educated and I trust that they are fully competent in teaching the material. All professors I have had are approachable and super friendly, as they care about their students as individuals. Grading and expectations are mostly fair while workload is at a necessary amount. The campus is beautiful and big enough to explore, but small enough to feel at home. Campus life is always interesting, as there is always something going on or many, many clubs to check out. Overall, I feel like a very educated person after every class I take and every person I meet.

Grace

All of my instructors are really passionate about their job which translates to a solid education. I like that many of my instructors have a lot of experience in the field which greatly contributes to how much I can learn from them. CaGreat School, however, sometimes I wish many of the amenities could be traded for a lower cost.

Briana

I think it’s a pretty chill school and that it’s safe enough for students to enjoy the social life is a nice one for students who want to get each other. The campus is a beautiful place to be at even when it’s a little bit chilly . The classroom sizes are ok but it could be better.

Jordan

California State University - Long Beach is a commuter school and has limited on-campus housing. If you do plan to stay on campus, you’ll definitely become aware the party scene (if you weren’t already). Despite this, I enjoyed living on campus, just keep in mind that it’s never really quiet at parkside. I did find it hard to make friends being an out-of-state student but overall I enjoyed it. I had really good professors and love the school, just found it hard to connect with people (which is not normally an issue I have).

Jay'linn

I love Long Beach, the School is very beautiful. The students are very kind, and helpful. Meanwhile the campus is a great place to go to and anyone who goes there are very lucky students. When I went to the Campus Myself I feel in Love with it. I was very pleased to see many minority able to pursue through dreams of going to college and being a high achiever.

Tyler

CSULB is a wonderful school with wonderful teachers, but it has its faults. One being that it is a very long campus, so if you have class on lower campus and you only have 15 minutes to get to your next class on upper campus, you better bring some wheels or you'll risk being late, even the walk from the closest parking, G1 lot to the closest a building on main campus, the Hall of Science for example, is almost 10 minutes, if you just so happen to be 5'6 and walk a bit faster than normal people and have long legs, sorry I can only use myself as reference. Don't worry though lots of students use things like bikes, skateboards, and scooters to get around and if you somehow hurt yourself, theres free healthcare for students back by that closest parking lot. Other than this, you'll definitely find your crowd on this campus. There are lots of different people who enjoy doing lots of different things so you don't have to be afraid to be your true self. Just remember to do your homework and study. Happy learning!

Asma

The first time I went to campus I was overwhelmed by it's friendly and comfortable kinda laid back style, one thing that got me was that it's really big and you kinda get lost if you don't ask students around or look for a map, but eventually you'll come to like the campus and the college experience it provides for you.

Donald

HONEST REVIEW: I guess its like a normal California school in a city. Major commuter school, meaning nobody really sticks around. CSULB/ LBSU is better than a community college but not quite a well known University. People are in, get educated, get out. I dormed my first year and it was okay. Rooms were tiny and really not that many things to do. Nobody seemed to be that active. The sports teams are D1 and really good, but hardly anyone goes to the games. It is really disappointing nobody is REALLY into college here. I made a couple of friends but nobody really sticks around. The GE classes were easy af. I thought I was dumb in high school but with GE classes, I have a 4.0. I have come to the realization I am smarter than most people when I peer-review other people's essays. If your major is easy, it is probably really easy because you'll be stuck with people who don't know when the Civil War was or know what a preposition is. With my biology classes though, I am mid pack. Lots of smart people in there. I tried to get involved with clubs on campus but most of them are dead. You have to really be active to keep the club you're in alive. Most of the staff is super friendly. I loved most of my teachers and built relationships with many of them. The best way for you to really be involved with Long Beach State is by joining a Greek life. Rushing a fraternity or sorority is fun and I made a friends in there for the time I was in there. The longer I was in, the more I realized I was in the wrong group. Most of the people I was involved with in there were on academic probation because of poor grades or were in their 5th or 6th year. I looking for more of self-success and I didn't enjoy the hazing of being forced to drink the day before an exam. I guess we have a well balanced Greek system here though compared to other schools which only party. For the money of tuition, Long Beach State is definitely worth it. $3,200 of tuition at a 4 year university is a DEAL!

Gabriella

I love CSULB, there are so many opportunities, organizations, and good vibes on campus. I have never felt unsafe on campus, the Gym is top rate and so far I have only had one teacher that I didn't love. There is a real sense of community and people are all really friendly. There are so many different food places on and off campus plus the beach is less than a mile away!

makyla

Overall, it is a great school. The dining hall and dorm rooms could use a little work. It would be nice if they offered dorms that were apartment-style. I enjoyed all of my professors and they always made it clear that they were there to HELP YOU. There were plenty of opportunities to get involved. The surrounding area is fun and there's a ton of job opportunities for young adults. The party life is pretty big. I personally didn't ever party and it never seemed like a big deal to other people. There isn't​ much pressure to be involved in partying.

Being born and raised in the city that my college is located has been such an amazing experience since I am only a second semester student to say the least. I live off campus so I don't have too many opinions about on-campus leaving. The overall vibe at Cal-State is very welcoming and very peaceful. There are many opportunities to explore your choices which is amazing; from joining clubs to getting help by the understanding advisors.