Columbus, OH
Capital University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Capital University

Justin

If you're looking for a small college that provides an escape from home--whether living on campus or commuting--Capital is the school for you. It does not get much more intimate than capital as far as knowing the staff and student body. In fact, it takes little to no effort to learn who's who and connect with people in any social group on campus. If you know what a small school is like, then you know what capital is like. If you're unfamiliar with small school politics, capital probably isn't your best fit. Knowing your teachers and friends this closely has benefits and drawbacks. School pride is easy to come by and easy to avoid, but as for opportunities to be involved in sports or on campus, Capital provides an unparalleled ease of access. Administration is very straightforward, friendly, and will probably learn your name if you see them very often.

Hunter

My classmates all come off generally friendly. Being a small campus, we all see eachother often and eventually a sort of community has been established between us. Its a nice quality for someone that would otherwise have a hard time making friends. In fact it's hard not to know at least a few people in every class!

As a freshman in college, I certainly don't know all there is to know about the functions of college, but I have learned a great deal in my time here. The first thing I would tell my high school self would be to invest more time in understanding how campus life works. As the oldest of three brothers I went into my first semester of college not knowing much of how my everyday life would soon be. Knowing this would've not only relieved stress, but allowed me to have more control over rooming, meal plans, arrival times, and perhaps even scheduling as well. Secondly, I would tell myself to try harder to earn scholarships and to apply for monetary opportunities with greater haste. The cost of college didn't set in for me until last semester and coming from a middle class family, we are stuck in a strange monetary situation. We don't have the funds to pay for every dollar of the hefty tuition, but we do have enough money to unfortunately evade some degree of financial aid. Being more aggressive with my scholarship search would have been a great help to me and my family.

The school is rather small in terms of campus space. Someone looking for a large community wouldnt be satisfying their need for the big campus feel. The buildings and campus are never truly bustling and you can travel anywhere by foot in less than 5 minutes.

Abbey

If I were to go back in time and give my high school self advice, I would say to keep your head up and enjoy your experience. High school sucked and you will look back on it and say that you are glad to be out of there and away from all the people that caused emotional harm to you. College is great. You will meet a ton of people and almost all of them will end up being in your life until you or they die. There are a lot of things I wish I would have done in high school or would love to change, but I know I can't. I don't regret anything that happened in high school. All of those experiences have made me who I am and will help me in my future career. It will get tough, especially sophomore year when you get diagnosised with depression, but you can make it through. You have a huge support group behind you that will help forever and always. So my advice is to simply enjoy college and keep your head up.

I brag about everything that I have experienced on campus. I love it at Capital. It is just the right size for being such a small school, the activities are wonderful, the staff is wonderful, the facilities workers are wonderful. I love bragging about my co'ed fraternity the most. Greek life on Capital's campus is very prominent and its literally like have a second family that you are not where near related to. The students are so close on campus over all that we refer to everyone as the capfam.

Theresa

It is very family oriented. Everyone tries to get along, and they call themselves the cap fam. You always know that there will be someone there rooting for you to do your best. At the same time the area around the campus is very nice. There are plenty of stores that would be willing to hire, and to work with you.

If there was ever a way I could go back to my senior self the first thing I would say would be to not fight my parents so hard. No matter how hard of a fight you put up they will force you to go to the school they want for a year. But it will be ok. The next words of advice I would give would be to keep calm. The anxiety over AP calculus and AP physics is not worth it, but if you do the work, it will be a lot easier to understand and keep up. The final advice I would give myself would be to live up life as a senior. Senior year was my year to prove everyone wrong. To become someone I might never be again. To feel strong and in control of my own life, even for a couple months, even when everyone’s making my decisions for me behind my back. That year was the year I gained everything I needed. I would not revile anything about college life – good or bad. It is the unknown that may be scary. But it can also be the biggest thrill to live by.

I would recommend Capital to someone who can make friends easily. Being such a small campus is is easy for one to get left behind if they don't put themselves out there in some way. There are plenty of activites if you look for them. Also if you like being in a confined space, the campus is small and put together.

Nik

Hey, Nik. So, Capital University, huh? I think it was one of the best choices you have made in your lifetime. I know you're nervous and probably intimidated by this new chapter in your life, but it will be okay. New people and new experiences causes anxiety, but be open to it all; let yourself float along the river of life on the fork you chose and take it all in. Go out and enjoy yourself; try new things and talk to new people. They will change your life and your outlook on life. Be wary of your studies. Be determined and go for 110%, even when its easier to do the bare minimum. The harder you work now, in college, will pay off in the long run. The habits you create now will be there after graduation, so get into the habit of giving it your all, whether that be in writing, putting your nose to the grindstone, or even socializing. The connections you make now can come in handy later on when looking for a job; at the very least you can aquire the proper social skills needed when applying. With this, good luck; follow your heart.

Probably the worst thing about Capital is how late the dining areas are open. I'm a night owl, so I tend to eat later in the day, yet all the dining areas are open until 11:00pm. The times throught the day, especially on the weekends are a bit scattered and difficult to follow. Also, downtown Columbus is hard to access without a car; there is a bus service though, but it's best to have a friend with you when you want to use the busses.

Someone who is hard working and is willing to put forth effort in their field of study should attend Capital University. Sometimes projects and papers can pile up and it is easy to shrug it off and put the work off until last minute. Someone who is disciplined enough to work hard and buget their time wisely should attend. There is enough here to do for fun, but it can only be fun if you're not worried about deadlines or uncompleted work.

Capital University is small but gives you the best academics a student could look for.

Advice I would give to myself if I were talking to my old self in high school is to spend less time worrying about dating and making old relationships from high school work. I would tell myself that as you get older and hit college it really is a different state of life. People will come and people will go, but those that are meant to stay will and it's not worth the time or emotional drain of trying to keep those in your life that won't. When you hit college you have to focus on building your future, and if things from the past can't fit in, even after trying, you have to learn to let things go and move on.

A person who has a very specific major in mind should attend Capital University.

Maryann

Dear Past Self, I know you are nervous about starting college, and understandably so. To make the transition a little easier, I have a few tips for you. 1) Talk to people you don't know. You're going to have to make friends somehow, and people aren't always going to approach you, so if someone looks cool, approach them. Making friends is hard, but super rewarding. 2) You picked the wrong major. Follow your true passion instead of sticking to something that you think is "right" but doesn't at all feel right. 3) School work comes before social media. 4) Get used to cleaning so that your dorm room doesn't become such a mess. 5) Me-time is important, but so is friend-time. Make it a point to socialize more than just once or twice a week. 6) Professors can be your friends. No really, it's allowed. 7) Don't abandon your faith. Sometimes God is all you have. 8) You should call home more often. Well, that's about it. The rest I'll let you figure out on your own. You'll be just fine, I promise. Love, me.

I wish I had known that I didn't have to be shy and that it was okay to be myself.

We're a small, personal school where our professors know us by name. It is easy to make friends if you are willing to go out of your comfort zone a little. The facilities are nice and the food is pretty good.

Bobbi

Entering college I thought I projected a sucessful image of myself and had my life strategically planned. When questioned about my major or career path I would answer, "Political science degree and continue on to law school, I am going to be a lawyer." It sounded impressive and ambitious, which was what I was going for, but looking back I was scared stiff. To my former self I would say "Follow your heart and know that this is something you do not truely want for yourself. Don't limit yourself to what appears to be the major or career choice that others find dignified or befitting." My heart and true calling is to help others in some way, to give back to my community that increases their chances of having a better life, a life that I was blessed with. What better way than to be a teacher, something I know I am gifted at doing and have excelled previously. I would tell myself, "Start with what you are good at, my patience and compassion for others, and use teaching as your vessel to expand your dreams of positively impacting your community."

Abbey

What is unique about Capital compared to other schools is how small the campus is. I love the fact tha I can get up 15 minutes before class grab my books throw on some sweats and a t-shirt and still make it to class on time. I like that it is small and I don't have to worry about rushing when it comes to getting to where I need to be on time.

If I went back in time and gave my high school senior self advice, I would tell me to stop procrastinating and be open! I put off getting stuff for college for so long that I ended up having to buy a ton of stuff at once. I was also having scheduling issues that took forever to correct. I am also not a very outgoing person when I first meet someone new, so I would also tell myself to be open and ready to meet some pretty amazing friends. College is an experience you want to take advantage and enjoy every single minute of it. You never know what will happen while your in college. You just have to be open and ready for what is to come and be happy to be able to finally experience college and getting used to being away from home.

Honestly, I don't really have something that I don't like about this school. I love everything about it and am glad I chose this school. I think the only thing that I have a problem with it are the food court hours, but I've worked around those hours countless times, so it is not so bad. This school is amazing and it is the place to be if you want great faculty and a small campus. It feels like home here to me.

Capital University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.