Grand Rapids, MI
Cornerstone University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Cornerstone University

Courtney

I would tell myself to make sure to make a good group of friends that pushes you to be a better person. Within my first couple months at college I found myself in a group of friends that I typically would not have hung around. Although they were great people deep down, they tending to pull me down in both my faith and school work. I found myself becoming the person I always told myself I would not be. I am proud to say I have found a better group of friends that is helping me turn away from that version of myself. Although I am glad I went through that stage of life, learned, and grew from it, if I could go back and warn myself as a high school senior I definitely would.

Because it is a private christian school, I would not advise extremly liberal people to attend this school. It is very faith based and Christian beliefs will be taught in each class.

I mostly brag about how much the professors care about their students. They truly take the time the time to get to know the students and want them to succeed in every asspect of life.

Isaac

My school is best known for the community it offers. We are huge believers in a Christ-Centered community where students can grow in their relationships with the Lord. We are also known for our competetive attitudes in our athletics as well. Our Basketball team were the national champions in 2011!

If I could go back to my senior self, I would tell him to think about his future more. I had never thought that college was going to be an option for me as a senior in high school, so I gave up trying in many of classes. I would also tell myself that the transition to a fast paced college life would be tough, but that he could do it! Because I feel like if I could just come up beside him during his struggling times with encouragment, he would be able to succeed in all of his dreams!

A person who is passionate about their walk with the Lord. If you have a deep desire to surround yourself with other christians who will push you spiritually, the Cornerstone is an amazing option!

Jason

Honestly, I never considered any other schools. Therefore, it is difficult for me to say what is unique about Cornerstone as compared to other colleges. Compared with my sibling's school, Spring Arbor University, however, I think the close-knit atmosphere and smaller campus are advantages that I consider. I enjoy the campus life as well. My favorite part is seeing the Van Osdel yard full of students after the snow melts and the spring weather finally sets in. I also really enjoy the path around the campus pond, where we can see a large variety of birds and plants.

If I could go back in time, the most important piece of advice I would give to myself would be to focus more on making friendships rather than seeking an intimate relationship. I thought about a girl I had a crush on during my freshman year and how I eventually came to the conclusion that it would be more impactful for both of us if I focused on forming a solid friendship with her. At the end of that year, she wrote me a letter which read, "I wanted to thank you for being a good friend". She said, "You always asked me how I was doing and made sure that I was okay". When I received that letter, I knew I had formed a very special, lasting friendship. Had I continued to pursue a relationship, our friendship never would have had a chance to grow, and we would have been difficult to interact as classmates. It also helped me later on when I met my girlfriend the following year. In short, I would tell myself to seek friendships rather than relationships, and try to see every girl as a potential friend, not a potential partner.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the lack of announcements for student activities. Granted, since my Freshman year back in 2010, they have greatly improved. That being said, occasionally, there are still events I miss because I never heard a single thing about them.

A baseball team has returned to Cornerstone after not having one for about 15 years, there's a new baseball facility with turf, and indoor and outdoor batting cages, and a dorm connected to the baseball stadium concourse. Incoming freshman recieve MacBook computers and transfer students receive one as well. Terra Firma is a program before school starts as a way of getting students acclimated to college life before classes start. In Terra Firma students are divided into groups of 8-12 students, and you meet with this group 1 time a week and it's a one-credit class.

If I could go back in time to myself as a high school senior, I would say to myself, don't worry so much about retaking the ACT and trying to get a better score. I had already been accepted a couple other schools, and I worried afterwards if the ACT score was good enough, so I retook it, but afterwards I realized that it was a waste of time, energy, and money to re-take the ACT. Also looking back, I wouldn't have made myself stress so much about grades, your high school grades really don't matter much once you are out of high school. People rarely ask what my high school GPA is, which makes me a little sad because at one point I was really proud of having a 3.8/4.0 GPA, but now I have moved onto bigger and better things and could really care less about what my high school GPA was.

Campus Community, Christian atmosphere, Dedicated staff and faculty, campus setting, great academics, chapel, new baseball stadium/field

Justin

Cornerstone University is a fun University where one can grow personally and spiritually.

Hey Justin how is it going? Man, you wouldn't believe how amazing college is. I know, I know. Everyone says how amazing it is going to be and your probably oging to be disappointed when you get there, but as your future self, let me tell you this: go for it! And go for it with everything you have. It is a ton of fun, and even more work. It is everything everyone builds it up to be: pulling all-nighters for writing papers, playing fun pranks on people, and even gaining the freshman 15. But it is all worth it, even with the cost being way above your price range. Just make sure to apply for as many scholarships as you can; they really do help out a lot. You will have some the best and worst days of your life at college. You have a dream of counseling at risk you. You can achieve that dream by learning and applying. Trust me, you won't be disappointed in the end.

When I talk about my school I talk about the campus lifestyle and the great community that is built there connecting everyone together closer to one another and to God. One of my best friends I roomed with there and we help each other whenever the need arises. I also brag about how I love going to the classes because I actually learn something that is worthwhile to my life and no just useless information I will never use.

Darien

Cornerstone University is a faith-based university with a team of faculty and staff that cares about the students both academically and spiritually, strengthening them to be the men and women that God calls them to be.

Dear Darien, You need to stop depending on Facebook for everything. I know that school is pretty overwhelming (AP Biology and Calculus will do that to you---trust me, I've been through it), and you're a teenage girl, so you need some social aspect of your life, but don't depend on Facebook. When you go to college, knowing who your true friends are is crucial, and it's a tough search. Take advantage of social events like CU @ the Beach (You have the postcard on your bulletin board. Get Mom to take you!) so you can meet them face-to-face rather than guess if they're being true to you through the computer screen. Speaking from experience, some people will deceive you. Sure, socialize with your future roommates. You'll know who they are because you're going to live with them for six months, but when it comes to everyone else, wait until Terra Firma week. I know you have no idea what that means, but trust me. It's going to be a blast, and you're going to love it! Once you know them, though, it's a HUGE blessing! :) Sincerely, You.

I don't like how the institution constantly feels the need to upgrade their ways of interacting online. To elaborate, when it comes to the online classroom--so to speak--where the professors upload assignments, deadlines, communicate with students, etc., the school completely changed the website on the students, making the incoming sophomores (who already are getting used to how it is now) need to learn the ways of the school's online databases all over again. I believe that this is a one-time thing, but it could cause some confusion.

Christopher

Be yourself, and be involved. Don't try to fit yourself into the molds that other people might have for you. Make your own mold and complete the goals that you have for yourself. Work hard now and it will pay off. Most importantly be an example to the people that are looking up to you and live your life in a way that you would want them to. Take your time and effort seriously and in everything that you do you should do it to the best of your ability, otherwise you will never know what you are capable of. Be strong and stand up for what is right, and for what you belive and don't be afraid to let your light shine no matter where you are in life. Remember, it doesn't matter where you have come from or what circumstances that you have in your home life, it only matters what you do with the tools that you are given and what you make of yourself. The last thing I would say to myself is to make mom proud.

If the person isn't a Christian and doesn't desire to have a relationship with God. Also, if the person is someone that likes to party and drink a lot then Cornerstone isn't a school for them.

The loving relationships that I have with every single one of my professors and the fact that they are extremely kind and understanding.

Dana

I would tell myself to really enjoy the process of school. It is a privilege and a wonderful opportunity that only a handful of people in the world ever get to experience. I would tell myself to not worry about any interruptions that come my way. These "interruptions" will happen in every area of life, but instead of letting them get you down, you can let become a part of your future. Those detours can be the very thing that you needed to get yourself to re-evaluate your goals, and they also serve as a way to make you a stronger person. Anyone that has had it too "easy" in life is a prime example of the importance of life trials. I would tell myself to work hard, relax, and enjoy every minute of college - even those crazy detours.

If I could speak to my high school self, I would tell myself to enjoy the process more. Life just kinda falls into place, so you plan the best you can, but you also can't worry when things don't work out how they were "supposed to." A change in priorities or direction is not a bad thing. In fact, it can sometimes be a door opening to something you never could have imagined. Had it not been for "interruptions" in my plan, I would not be as strong or insiteful as I am today.

I was very frustrated with the lack of respect for the music department. Even some students who were in the program were very condescending about it, even though they had chosen it themselves. I had some wonderful professors there and I wish the program had received more respect than it did.

Brianna

My classmates are caring people who care if I do well in and out of the classroom. They show that through asking in depth questions not just surface ones.

I would say to myself to not worry, You will make friends by not judging others before they should be judge. You will have great professors that actually care about how you do in the class and of course you personally will have a great team to take good care of you. Some advice would be to not pack so much becuase I will be going home and to buy books online not at the school! Older girls helped me a lot before I even came here so I think I would just say to stay connected.

A person who would attend this school is one that wants to grow in their faith with God, have great friends and be challeneged intellecutally. Students here always talk about how amazing the professors are because they care about the students. There are also great friendships that happen throughout the dorms and even in the classrooms! And of course Cornerstone is a God centered community where you can grow in your faith.

Don't be intimidated by going away from home and attending college-level classes. Yes, it is challenging, but it is so very much worth it. Step out and meet new people, it will be the best decision you will make especially as you meet other students who become your friends who will encourage you in your studies and college experience. Be diligent in your studies and try not to procrastinate, even when the events on and off campus tempt you to put your projects off. The main reason you're attending college is to learn something, all the rest is just an added bonus. Above all else, enjoy yourself! The college years will mold you and shape you in ways you cannot even begin to imagine, so make the most of your experience.

I think the best thing about Cornerstone is the community of students, faculty and staff. This is not only my opinion, but also that of many other students and even prospective students. CU is a friendly, welcoming campus with people who care about each other. The students are amazing and genuinely care about the people around them and the faculty and staff welcome the opportunity to get to know the students and encourage them in their studies as well as their personal lives.

Someone who is not a Christian or who would not like to attend a Christian university, someone who cannot or will not obey rules such as refraining from drug or alcohol use while in attendance, or someone who would not agree to attend the required chapels. Cornerstone is not an overly strict school, but they do expect their students to abide by their standards of conduct as well as their academic standards.

Cornerstone University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.