New York, NY
CUNY City College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY City College

The fact that it is in New York City makes it very unique compared to other schools I applied to. It makes the college experience very different than if you were to go to school anywhere else. Everyone in the city is always moving so quickly and so driven it makes you want to do that as well. As a theatre student too it's great to be in the hub of theatre for the country.

I would tell myself the simple words, "everything is going to be okay". Going to college is a huge transition but as long as you understand that things will get better it makes it easier. I would also say make sure you have someone you can go to for emotional support because it can be hard. I would also say try to make as many friends as possible because not only do you need friends for your emotional wellbeing but you're also making connections for the future!

I would say the professors. All of the professors I've had so far have been very passionate about their work and very knowledgable. As a theatre student, all of my teachers work in their field in someway and come from very prestigious backgrounds. That is great because it helps you create connections in the field you are trying to be successful in before you've even entered it.

Chantae

I would tell my High School self “motivation is the key to getting things done” and that I shouldn’t let opportunities blow by. I would encourage myself to continue to retake the regents exam so as to not end up in remedial like I did. I would tell myself to be more social and bold and start networking with other people who shares my interest to better myself and start taking steps towards my career. I would advice myself to ask more questions concerning things of importance because it never hurts to fully know what’s going on and because it would help me to avoid future problems that stems from ignorance. But most importantly I would tell myself it’s never too soon to start working on scholarships. Paying for college isn’t easy and even with the assistance of financial aid, more often than not it’s not enough. In order to have smooth sailing from the start of my college career till the end of it, this is the most important thing I would’ve advised my younger self about.

How organized and efficient they are. They always make sure to check back with you whenever there’s a problem or assistance to be had and when it comes to finding offices or rooms, the directions are easy to follow with the security staff being fully knowledgeable.

They seem to be strict on what classes they offer every semester but i have yet to find out if this just applies to a particular department or if this applies to all majors.

latisha

I would advice myself that High School is nothing like college, I have to work much harder and know that the professors would not be as easy going as the teachers in High School. I would also remind myself that I will basically be on my own in college, professors would not be questioning or showing much concern about one student's missing work or test. I would advice myself to just stay focus, sit in the front of every class, and make sure the teacher atleast knows my name. Understanding the material, no matter how many questions needs to be asked is essential in college, especially that the tuition for each course is so expensive. So my biggest advice to myself as a whole, is to keep reminding myself that the college life is much different from that of High School.

The best thing about City College is that it offers many extracurricular activities and it also offers much tutoring centers and help from fellow students or teachers. The extracurricular is great because everyone is interested in different things and at this campus, you can always find something that suits a person. The tutoring centers are great because they are really helpful for when someoone is struggling in a class. Going to the tutoring centers can surely boost up a student's grade for a class.

I wish I knew more about the scholarship packages at this college before I came. I thought that they had many opportunities and various scholarships for students who were doing well, but they do not have that much variety of scholarships. Most of the scholarships are need-based, and not academic scholarships, which is what I need

Andrea

I would tell myself to complete the FAFSA in the beginning of January. It should get finished right away so it would be one less thing to have to worry about. Also, focus onschool work!! Don't worry about what other people think of you and don't feel the need to have a boyfriend. That will only take away from the valuble study time. When I got a job, I should have saved most of the money for when I transfer schools in fall of 2014. The final thing I'd tell myself is to not be too outgoing. Go back to being the shy girl I was in 8th grade. It would've kept me out of the little trouble I was in and also prbably would've helped my study habits.

Life is very competetive. Treat everyone around you as your competitor. Make friends, but only use them if they help you strengthen your goals, and lower their chance of succeeding.

The research experience is simply phenominal. As an undergraduate I am able to say I have done Cancer Research. The experience and connections I have made are unmatched.

The internship opportunities; finding a good job over the summer because of my volunteer experience helped me able to afford to eat for the following semesters.

Kirsten

City College is an open fun and divers campus.

City College is an open fun and divers campus.

I’d tell myself that college is nothing like high school, studying vigorously and smartly is a requirement. High School, although it taught us an amazing skill did by no means prepare us for college, especially in the sciences which will later be our major. I’d advise myself to immediately look at the requirements of our major and plan out which courses to take from that semester until the semester we graduate. Do this by aligning your major requirements, with advice of peers who have already been through the major. Do not rely on your advisors advice because you will have 7 advisors throughout your college career. None of which will ever know you by name because they change with semester, and most of which are unfamiliar with the college courses and requirements. The advice taken from them will on most occasions be wrong and set you back. In summation I’d tell myself to have a plan for my college career, in essence not wait for the information to come to you but to seek out the information yourself, and plan accordingly. College is an extremely autonomous place, where your future and its success are in your hands.

The best about City College is that it provided quality education, for an amazing price. I helps low income student who otherwise couldn't afford and education, have and education. Their are plenty of clubs to join, and if you can't find one you like you can it quite easy to make one of your own. The students are all very friendly and eager to learn.

Crystal

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to make the most out of your senior year because it'll be the last year in high school then it's off to the real world. I would encourage myself to join clubs, make new friends, and to join different sports. I would also like to make sure that I did my homework every day, take notes, and to study. If I were already used to that routine, it would have been a much smoother transition in to college. I would have also suggested to apply to more colleges and apply for more scholarships since their are so much oppurtunities in the world and paying for college would be much easier. If I had this advice while I was a high school senior, I would have an easier transition to college and it would be much less stressful. I want to take any oppurtunity that I can in order to succeed in life. The earlier, the better! So don't delay and prepare for the future.

sashan

I would have entered college as a double major instead of just choosing one, and I would have made up my mind about what I wanted before I got to college.

The service at the financial aid office is the worst. You spend most of the semester worrying about paying your bill instead of focussing on your classes.

Steven

If I could go back in time to high school, I would tell myself to enroll in college ASAP! I am 48 and waited late in life. College is about 5-10x the cost of what is was back then, and the cost of living has skyrocketed. So, self, do NOT wait 30 years after high school to enroll in college! DO IT NOW!

bethani

If i could go back in time to talk to myself about college. My advice will be to never wait to the last minute to get work done. You want to get all the important things done because the deadline for things are not as long as you think. Waiting for the last minute to get things done will put you in trouble depending what needs to be done. Plus, it's better to get work done so you won't have so much stress on yourself. Sometimes when you wait too late you don't get everything done. I would also tell myself to do lots of scholarships and grants because that can help you pay for school. There are lots of scholarships that are being offered today because of the college tutitions are expensive. Another advice I would say is to be focus on school. Too many people are going to school and not being focus. When your not focus you tend to forget about school and get bad grades or drop out. Being focus can help you keep a good GPA. These are the advice I would of told myself about college.

CUNY City College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.