New York, NY
CUNY City College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY City College

Connie

City College is the first college to be part of CUNY and has buildings that looks like it could belong in the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

I would nag at my past self to apply for scholarships and to not be lazy when writing essays for my applications. I chose a school closer to home so I could save money and commute instead of dorming, but I wish I had had the proactivity to apply to more scholarship opportunities so I could have the money to dorm. Commuting isn't too bad but I also feel like I am missing out a big part of the college experience by staying home. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to manage my time better and set my priorities straight. I didn't think scholarships were too important but I realize now that no matter what amount you can get from a scholarship award, it helps a long way.

I wish I had known that students aren't allowed to double major in engineering.

Antonio

The very first thing I would tell myself would be "college is not impossible." In those days, I was convinced college was something available to people with a lot of money and stellar grades. Seeing as I lacked both, I didn't even bother with college applications for years following my graduation. I would explain to my past self that financial aid not only exists but will make it possible to handle the textbooks, transportation, and the food I would have to buy. I would also explain that the CUNY system allows for a one-time application fee that covers up to 6 separate applications. While I would be reluctant to pay at first, I know I would see the benefit of this feature. The last thing I would tell myself is "I know you can do it." It is the very same line a very important person told me long ago. While the memory would remind me of his death, it would also stir feelings of determination and remove any doubts from my old self. I could have told myself about the awards, the grades, the extracurriculars, and all of my accomplishments, but I work better when challenged.

Donald

For most of my classes, my classmates are culturally, economically, and educationally diverse. They represent a broad spectrum of perspectives and focuses, and add greatly to both the learning environment and the social environment. They can truly be regarded as the identity of the world today.

If I could go back in time and talk to my former self, the first thing that I will say to me is, "you will do great things." I will look at my aloof self; the self that has been yearning to find a place in this world; the self that has begrudgingly followed monotonous and mundane tasks; the self that didn't know his self; and tell him that in college, you will find everything that you need. "I, that is, you will come across something incredibly precious. That thing is, 'a start'. Even though you care very little about the things that you are doing now and the topics that you are learning, just know that the knowledge itself isn't everything; it is what you do with your knowledge that makes the difference. Learn what will help you to be a great support to this world. Do not follow a script. Do not force yourself to fit a mold. Be smart. Be caring. But most importantly, be you." "Do not be afraid about college. This change will be the best that ever happens to you. Follow your heart. Do not confine yourself to one field. Have fun."

I do not think there is anyone who should "not" attend this school. I would say, however, that for an individual who is closed-minded, is uncomfortable with cultural and religious diversity, or is rigid towards non-standard school settings, they would have a difficult time establishing themselves at this school. Nevertheless, this school is extremely wlecoming and will remain open to such individuals; and in time, the school may even stir in them a potential for openness that matches its own.

jason

If I were to go back in time, I would particpate in a relationship instead of isolating myself from my classmates, who I saw were in worthy of my time. I spend way too much time in the libary alone with my studies and became a geek without friends in highschool. I had so much time in highschool, but I was too focused on my studies that I rejected many potential relationships and hurted many people with my arrogance and carelessness. Now that I am in college, I begin the make more friends, but I just don't have the time to do things with them. I wish everything would change...

The crime rates around the campus area. It was only a week ago that a girl got mugged by two black men with bats and sexually assaulted.

The food is a nightmare, you could never get tasty food from the caferatia and they are too expensive.

Avin

The only advice I would give to myself would be to not forget that senior is the the most inportant year as we make a transition to college. I needed to apply for more scholorships, be more rigorous with my schoolwork, and apply for the FAFSA as soon as the application was applied. I am learning now that money doesn't grow on trees and everytime I see the money going out from my bank account, I wish I had applied for more scholarships. Right now, I apply for at least one scholarship a day but I am still waiting to get any type of financial help.

I wish I knew that the dorms were expensive because that is where most of my money is going.

My school has really low tuition and those in need of financial aid will get it.

Lassana

Diversity is the best thing about my school. The City College of New York's student body is comprised of 32% Asian, 13% Black or African American, 28% Hispanic/Latino, and 18% White students. I had the opportunity work at the office of the Student Support Services Program at City College of New York, which I enjoy the most. This program is a federal TRIO Program sponsored by the US Department of Education exposes me to minority communities routinely. The program provides support for academic development, educational advising, and serves to motivate students toward the successful completion of their post-secondary education. The program's goal is to increase college retention and graduation rates of its participants, who are mostly persons from under-represented communities, by helping them to make the transition from high school to college. A lot of students are happy that they are getting very good quality of education with less financial burden. When most people think of this school, they think about the fact that it is first public higher institution in New York. It has produced some great people, General Collins Powell. The graduates of this school, most especially in engineering, are always in demand. The school is always participating in National Model UN; and it always comes up with a honor among many schools. Last year, we got distinguish delegation in National Model UN in which I participated.

Most of the classes in this school are very small. So technically, professor tend to know the names of students. My favorite class happened to be the global perspective class. This is the class that actually helped me make up my mind about my major. I was very confused about what to considered as my major; however, after taking this class, i felt very optimistic in majoring in an International Studies. My less favorite class was Bio 103. I had one of the worst professor ever. he was very boring and did not seem to know the material well. I study 4 to 6 hours a day, considering the fact that I only work on campus. Students have intellectual conversation outside of class most of the time; and they are very competitive. The most unique class I have taken is Model UN class. this class taught me how to be diplomatic and I really enjoyed it a lot. I try to see my professors during their office hours at least once a week. There is no doubt that education at this school provide great chance of getting job.

The City College of New York, located in upper Manhattan, is one of the most diverse Universities in the United States. There are many students majoring in engineering and science. The school has substantial numbers of Asian people. There is a stereotype that you find only Asians majoring in engineering and science. The stereotype seems to be mostly accurate, but not entirely. I have heard a professors guessing about Asians students’ majors as either engineering or science. Some tended to be wrong, while some were right.

Nailah

Many students at our institution academically match up to Ivy League counterparts. Most actually go on to continue studies at these institutions including last year's valedictorian. The student population is very diverse. Most are first generation to seek college degrees and students of immigrant parents. This makes for compelling classroom settings,especially those that encourage discussion among colleagues. Opportunities to learn about a new culture ate endless.

Arifur

In many cases the City College of New York is a more affordable college experience for an individual seeking higher education learning opportunities. It has been passed around by word of mouth that CCNY is a cheaper and far less sophisticated version of Columbia University which is located a mere twenty blocks away from campus. This stereotype has been supported by many false opinions and comments. CCNY is indeed a very financially friendly campus with yearly rates that are a fraction to that of Columbia University and most other private schools. However, the comments stating City College's standard for education is minimal and falls far inferior to that of other private schools is not a fact. Moreover, these are the facts that are not known to students: CCNY has produced the most ever Nobel Peace Prize Winners, programs in CCNY fall under top national rankings, the budget at CCNY is outstanding which provide students with services and resources that are top notch, student government and student life plays a large role and influence the manner in which the school is run, CCNY networks with various professions, clubs and organization to open doors for the students, and CCNY has established a campus that both isolates the school from society and interjects the school into society at the same time. The Spitzer Architecture Program, the ranging Engineering Programs, the Sophie Davis medical program, and the teaching academy are accredited courses and schools embodied within CCNY that have elevated this institution to be one of the top ranked in the nation. In the last few years, the athletics programs have vastly improved. Fraternities and sororities have begun to flourish and establish a new element of college life on these grounds. Social organizations, student government, clubs, and honor societies have created layers which make the college experience a lifestyle, rather than making City College solely a grounds for education. CCNY may be a fraction of the cost of Columbia University, however it is not a fraction of the entire college experience nor is it a fraction of the quality of education.

As a proud brother of the Honorable Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated, I bare witness to many events that occur on campus. The students at the city college of New York are filled with a great deal of enthusiasm, energy, and diversity. The school is united by the culture of southeast Asia with Indian dances and festivals, to the shows put together by the students from the Caribbean to tantalizing performances of Samba from south america to the display of American culture. During lavender week or homecoming, students come together and create showcases for the entire school to witness. The WCCR radio station electrifies the crowd on weekly bases to give students a break from studying. Student driven events and student involvement is growing by the year. From the steppers, to the belly dances, the salsa mamba club, to the greek organizations, to all clubs activities, CCNY is not a quiet place. As a brother of Sigma Lambda Beta, we throw events dealing with our principles of brotherhood, scholarship, leadership and community service. We throw fundraisers to raise money for our philanthropy or for specific organizations. We work with other Greeks on campus to throw shows and events for the entertainment of the students of CCNY. After becoming a brother in the semester of fall 2009, i have been witnessing the development and growth of Greek life in the school. Fraternities and Sororities have taken their rightful place in the school and are continuing to grow. Pride in the athletic program is growing as well. With the addition of the new athletic facilities, basketball, track, volleyball, swimming, and baseball have become the schools emblems. As the facilities finalize more and more, and the teams grow and stabilize, the pride that the school has in these teams grow as well. The CCNY Beavers are taking the campus over by storm. When it comes to socializing with other students, CCNY is like no other. People on this campus are confident, have much to say and interact with each other on a daily bases. Dating and going out on weekends or even thursday nights is a trend that has not changed in this school for years. In the city that never sleeps, the social experience is elevated to a new plateau. Movies, festivals, dining, exploring, traveling, sight seeing, and clubbing are all elements of the New York experience which seem to never have any limit or any end. This past weekend began with a dinner with the brothers of Sigma Lambda Beta, a movie and Uno night, then a day of movies, leading to a Banquet thrown by the brothers of Sigma Lambda Beta and the sisters of Sigma Lambda Gamma, and an all you can eat breakfast buffet on campus grounds. There is never a boring weekend when it comes to CCNY, and that is personified even more all of the energy and passion shown by CCNY students.

As a student of the Bernard and Anne Spitzer school of Architecture at the City college of New York, college life and the college experience differs greatly from that of other students. College graduates or current undergraduates attending the CCNY may speak about nights spent studying, or the pressure piling on because of the rigor the exams, or the paper that they must spend the weekend writing. For the architecture student, papers, and written exams are the least of our worries. The job of the architect is to use his or her imagination to establish the fundamental ideas and workings of a structure that is to be placed on any given site. For this to be done, there is a combination of brain storming, rigorous sketching, site analyzing, case studying, precise hand made drawing, computer renderings, preliminary models, working models, final models, floor plans, sections, perspectives and animations, just to name a few. A typical architecture student works with minimal sleep, does not leave the design studio often, works well under stress, produces all work with a great deal of passion, and designs with all aspects of architecture and society in mind. The architect combines the art of aestheticism, the desires of society, the needs of the owner, the imagination of the architect, and the use of all the sciences to create a dwelling or a structure that can perfectly in a site. It is not just a matter of studying; rather it is the act of always producing work to further analyzes an idea. It is not a course with right or wrong answers; it is an investigation through a specific lens. It is not a classroom it is a workspace. A student here does not have a professor, they have a professional architect giving their opinion on the work at hand. Participation is not an option it is a must. Students are motivated by each other as they all realize the competitive nature of this field. In the school of architecture, students are always in constant talk with their professors. Students not only speak via email to them, they are known to text and converge ideas verbally as class never really has an end. In the Siptzer and Anne school of Architecture building, the halls are filled with work. Students of all years carry long conversations on Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpieces, or the Capitol Complex in Dhaka, or how the new world trade center fits into modern society, or how simple architectural moves can rejuvenate South Street Seaport in downtown New York City. The school of architecture is but one of the many accredited programs in this institution. Each has their environments, their cultures, their expectations, and requirements.

connie

I would yell at my past self for not being more open minded on where I want to go for college. I was too set on staying in New York City for school and only applied to schools in the area. But, right now, as a commuter, I wish I could go away for college. Just scrolling down my newsfeed on Facebook, I see my friends with their roommates and new friends and I always feel a tinge of jealousy. Dorming would've been a great experience. If I could go back in time, I would've done more research on other schools and applied to different types of schools-- not just limiting myself to schools in the city.

The best thing about my school is that tuition isn't too costly for my family.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that, while tuition isn't very expensive, dorming is, so I have to commute an hour and a half everyday to get to campus.

Jamie

The best things about City College are the atmosphere and campus. The buildings are beautiful and the campus is well maintained.The quadrangle is a really nice place to sit, relax and eat lunch with friends. City College has a lot of clubs that meet at the same time, making it virtually impossible to be active in numerous clubs. I would stagger the meeting times more. CCNY (the City College of New York) has around 16,000 students but the campus is large so it seems as if it is a much smaller college. Most people do not recognize the school because people only know specific CUNYs and not realize there are many more campuses. I spend most of my time in the library of the North Academic Center or in the quad when the weather permits. The school administration is effective for a college of this magnitude. Our president holds receptions every week that students can attend and informally talk to her about ideas or complaints.

Some buildings look like Hogwarts from Harry Potter! These buildings are the older ones, built when the campus was just beginning. The newer buildings have more mordern, but still interesting architecture. There are many buildings for different areas/major concentration. The CCNY campus is quite large.

What are your classes like?

My classes are interesting and challenge me. With every class I take, my skill set grows especially in writing.

There is no one club, team or organization that is immensely popular. There are a large number of such things on campus and everyone has different tastes and things that they gravitate towards. I am involved in a mentoring program that pairs upperclassmen with first year students. I also started a softball club with a friend. I got to know my friends through the program I am in, my major classes and by being friendly. Although CCNY has dormitories, a majority of students commute. I commute but I have friends that live in the dorm (the Towers as it is called). Students in the dorms are usually close with their roommates and people on their floor. I do live close to campus so I can not say what activities people engage in off campus at night or during the weekends. However, most students who dorm go home for the weekend if they are able to.

There are racial and religious groups on campus. They are open to everyone and are about celebrating different cultures and having discussions about a religion. The is a LGBT organization at City College, which everyone is free to join. I don't believe any student would feel out of place because of the immense diversity of CUNY colleges. Most students are casual. Students wear what they feel comfortable in. I mostly wear jeans, t-shirts and sneakers, as do many other students. There is a lot of interaction between students. I cannot describe tables of students because in the cafeteria there is always a mix of different people sitting together talking about classes or even having just met each other. Students come from all different backgrounds. The financial situation varies but most are from middle class backgrounds. I have never discussed with any of my fellow peers potential salary for our chosen professions/fields.

All of my professors know my name, and most make an attempt to and will by the first couple of weeks of class. My favorite class this semester is introduction to art history. My least favorite is my required science and technology course. Study habits depend on the student and the amount of time they feel should be devoted for each class. Class participation is common especially in smaller classes, such as liberal arts courses. I am double majoring in English Literature and United Sates History. The most unique class I have taken was Arts in NYC because we attended an opera, a play and went to the MTA to discuss Arts for Transit. Education at this school is geared towards learning. There are other services at City College that are available for help in locating jobs and internships that are in a field of interest.

People tend to think of CUNY students as less intellectual then students who attend Ivy League or private schools. This stereotype is inaccurate as some students who attend CUNY turn down private schools because of the reasonable cost and numerous opportunities.

CUNY City College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.