New York, NY
CUNY City College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY City College

Sara

You may or may not be sure of yourself now, but allow yourself to be comfortable not knowing and not having an identity. Life is going to change how you see yourself every single day. College is a time to be totaly unsure and totally ok with that. College is a time to try things you never thought you would, socially, academicaly, and otherwise. By doing this, you will learn so much more about yourself. Don't be afraid of making change, be easy going, and go with the flow. However, when you feel strongly about a value or ideal, don't compromise that. You need to trust yourself and trust your gut. You are beautiful and perfect and flawed. There is nothing wrong with that.

The diversity is the greatest thing about City. There isn't a kind of person you won't find here and everyone is so accepting of others. Groups of friends often represent so many corners of the world. Every day is a global education simply through socialization.

It is a public school, so there are always a lot of steps to geting anything done. It makes it discouraging to try and make changes here.

Shari

CCNY is the place where one discovers themselves, create memorable bonds with people from all over the world, and a place of intellectual enlightenment for those who seek it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice I would give myself would to dream big because anything is possible. I would have applied to more scholarships and told myself that college life is what you make it to be. Be open to meeting and establishing friendships with people, because learning isnt limited to just inside the classroom. Students not only learn from what is taught to them in class, they also learn how to facilitate and actually use the knowledge they learn by sharing it with others and learning from each other. By doing so, it creates a spark of interest that ignites in students creativity and willingness to learn. Another form of advice I would tell myself is to be more involved in the oppurtunties that college offer. Besides starting my own club called The Asian Language Club, I would have liked to have urged myself to join a sport like fencing because, not only is it healthy, but it is a window of oppurtunity to do something positive that contributes to the school.

The kind of person who should attend this school should be the one's who are open minded to new experiences, cultures, and languages because, this university is very diverse and friendly.

Adam

City College offers a variety of majors that an individual can pick from which alot of other CUNY schools do not have. City College always has workshops that are helpful and answer alot of questions. There are a variety of programs at City College such as the Student Support Services Program that focuses on the individual and their own needs.

What I have gotten out of my college expererience are a variety of things. College has shown me how to manage my time which is crucial. I have also learned how to prioritize my life as college can interfere with your social life. Overall, college has been valuable to attend because it taught me how to mature and manage my responsibilities. High school can only teach out a number of things, but attending college taught me more than what I expected and I am grateful for that.

The most frustrating thing about City College is the lack of musical activities and guest speakers that arrive to the school.

Rema

They are okay but not so social at first.

They are okay but not so social at first.

The school is overall okay but it would help if there were more advisors to help us guide our future.

I think the college is fine overall but I just wished their were more guidance in future careers because nobody really helps unless you go bug them for it. I also do not receive financial aid so it is horrible to pay for classes that I do not want to be in but have to take in order to be a full time student. They should open more class sections for students who actually pay for college.

Sullivan

As a freshman, I suppose I haven't yet completed my "college experience," but nevertheless it is already effecting a change in me. I think my experience is unique to an extent, because of the school I attend and the city, but at the same time can be universal. At City College, I am learning how to take care of myself. It isn't just the classroom experience that matters. I am learning to become an independently functioning member of society, cooking my own meals and taking in the abundance of culture that New York City has to offer. I am also meeting new people, and making friendships that are already very dear to me, and that I know will appreciate in the years to come. All of this is invaluable to me. College is there to help open your mind to the rest of the world, and I don't think I'd be having quite the same experience anywhere else.

The worst thing about City is probably the limited dorming options. Most of the students commute from off campus, so the only housing there is the Towers, which is a nice facility but very expensive. I come from out of state so there isn't much choice for me but to live there. Though tuition isn't too bad, the housing cost adds up quickly. Also, there's no meal plan, which means buying groceries, unless you want to eat at the cafeteria in the school.

City is very science oriented, so non-science majors like myself may seem few and far between. This doesn't mean we aren't welcome though! Also, the student population is extremely diverse, so it helps to be interested in other cultures and people.

Hoang

What I have gotten out of my college experience is the fact that hard work is involve in everything. I do feel that the standards here at my college are higher than average, but due to this expectation, it makes me work harder and push myself more. I remember taking a class at another college and felt how easy it was compared to my college. The Professors here at City College truly envelops the concept of thinking and understanding rather than simply remembering. I've also found my passion in teaching thanks to this college when I worked as a Workshop Leader in Organic Chemistry. I enjoy teaching people a lot more now and plan to become a Professor.

The best thing about my school is the amount of research labs available for students. I am into researching especially in plants and there's a lab for that.

I wish I knew how to study better. I wish I knew which major I was going into.

Yetsenia

Currently I'm in college for Massage Therapy and it has shown me that this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I dislike the environment my college affords us and I've decided to do something on the other end of the spectrum, but since I wont let this educational experience bog me down, I'll just finish and use it to help me pay my way through the next few years of my life.

Maria

engineering department, architecture, diversity, pre-med

engineering department, architecture, diversity, pre-med

Being in college has shown me what I am capable of, intellectually. When I changed majors from Illustration to Biology, I embarked upon a whole new field that was unfamiliar to me. I had never taken classes in Physics or Organic Chemistry before, and my coursework proved to be a daunting challenge. I powered through and became a top student in all my classes, regardless of the fact that my classmates had more experience in these subjects than I. I was so encouraged by my own progress but also by the admiration and support of my professors that I stayed at City College of complete a Master's degree in Biology. I am the only child in my family with a college degree. Being in college has given me self-esteem and self-respect. I can now approach any problem with clarity, focus and a drive that I did not possess before. Since matriculating as an undergraduate student, I have changed completely as a person, in the most positive way possible. I now know that I am intellectually capable of anything, and that I can excel in whatever I put my mind to.

diversity, scientific research, the number of languages spoken

Katherine

My school is best known for Engineers and it is the reason why the Math and Science classes are more difficult and challenging. The school is known for its engineers and so they provide challenging courses to shape the minds of students following that field of study. Of course, it is rather difficult for other students such as myself who do not look towards anything having to do with that field of study and look towards other fields (like Childhood Education).

Since the inspirational words of president Obama, I realized the country needs more teachers and more nurses. I have always loved teaching things I already know to anyone, like my cousins and their homeworks. I decided to attend college and pursue my dream of being the person who inspires other minds to succeed in life. I wanted to become that inspirational figure that children will look up to because even though vertain events can happen in your life, you always have to look foreward and keep your chin up. With students coming into my classroom filled with questions, I want them to come out satisfied with answers. As soon as I stepped into the City College of New York I felt the vibe of good people, delicious foods and a comfortable environment to study and have fun in. I felt that its highly valuable to be educated without stress. Thankfully, the school has provided locations where there are people to guide you and to listen to any remarks. There have been many programs, many society groups and many great authority figures that set examples of how well the school is structured for the students at CCNY.

I believe that the students that should not enter this school are students who do not attend to any events or even care about school in general. There are a lot of programs that help students with financial needs but then there are those students who do not take advantage of it. I believe that after the second year of college if the student has not shown any signs of progress then they should not attending a college and should look towards other things in life untl they are ready to study.

Hayley

My college experience has been completely different that I had imagined it to be five years ago. I am a single mother who works a full-time job and goes to school full-time. I am pushing extremely hard to achieve my goal of graduating with a Master's in Accountancy and then becoming a CPA. College has been one of the most valuable things in my life yet. It has opened my eyes to a whole new world and to see myself and daughter with a whole new light. Being in college makes me appreciate the things that I have now and helps me focus on my goals because the only way to go is up! My daughter gives me meaning to wake up every day and keep pushing towards my goals to make our lives the best possible! I can not wait until I walk across the stage with my degree. It will be the most full-filling and blessed day!!

CUNY City College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.