New York, NY
CUNY Graduate School and University Center

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Graduate School and University Center

Robert

I attended the CUNY Baccalaureate for Unique and Interdisciplinary Studies, an interdisciplinary program in which the student creates her/his own curriculum and is mentored by a senior college faculty member. The program was unique in that it provided the broad scope of 19 senior colleges from which the student could choose her/his courses. This tremendous breadth of academic institutions supported a great variety of integrated studies.

Having entered college a full 24 years after my high school graduation and receiving my BS 30 years after receiving my high school diploma, I have the advantage of 20/10 hindsight. Though I have no regrets for the path of autodidactic learning in which I engaged during that period, I believe that if I could travel back in time, I would have counseled myself to enter college closer to my graduation from high school. If I had done so, I would have reaped the benefit of focusing my career aims at an earlier age. Having said this, however, I believe that there is a benefit to my having waited. As an older man, I had the advantage of being able to far more clearly deliniate my path. This has proven a great advantage to me, and has pushed me to the highest academic standards, and surpassing my wildest dreams of achievement, when in 2011, I graduated from the CUNY Baccalaureate for Unique and Interdisciplinary Studies Summa cum Laude.

The Integrated Digital Media program, to which I have been accepted at NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering, a versatile program that integrates the diverse disciplines associated with digital media, will allow me to learn in depth the realm of integrated web application and design with a holistic approach. Key to my upcoming work in the program will be the ability to receive placement assistance into critically needed internships in the industry. The School of Engineering is ideally positioned to provide this assistance, and to me, this is the most valuable asset the school provides for me.

I honestly felt perfectly prepared to come to this school. Classes are online and utilize many of the same online tools that I use in my day job, like Facebook, Twitter, message boards and podcasts.

Talking to myself as a high school senior with the knowledge that I have of the "real world" now at 25 would be beneficial, but I'm not sure that I would want to give away all my hard earned knowledge -- otherwise how would I turn out a well-rounded adult without having navigated those personal experience myself? If I did have to give away one piece of advice though, I would have told myself to wait a year or two before attending college initially, and spend some time traveling abroad immersed in another language and culture. That, I believe, would have given me invaluable experience as not only a student, but a person.

My classmates are driven non-traditional (read: adult) students that are quick learners with focuses on many different communications fields, including online media, public relations and journalism.

CUNY Graduate School and University Center administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.