Dyersburg, TN
Dyersburg State Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dyersburg State Community College

Mackenzie

Dyersburg State Community College is a wonderful environment to receive a great education. Honestly, I never thought I would attend DSCC. My dad is in the Navy and he will be retiring next spring with 24 years of service. We have lived all over the United States and have even lived overseas in Germany. I've lived in Guam, California, Colorado, Tennessee, Germany, and now back to Tennesse. I never expected to go to college here in a tiny town in TN. I am thankful for and have a positive opinion about where I am going to school for many reasons. I thing DSCC is great primarily because of the cost. The price-point is much lower than the other colleges I was looking at. I will have to pay a lot more money for where I go next, however, being at DSCC helps with the cost right now. Secondly, I have a positive opinion about DSCC because although it is a smaller college, there are still many things to get involved with. The main things are PTK, Psychology Club, and school events that I am involved with. Being able to join clubs and to be involved has drastically changed my viewpoint of Community College. It can be a lot of fun and allow the students to grow as individuals. It allows us to feel a sort of belonging and to have more of a purpose. A third aspect that makes me have a positive opinon on Dyersburg State Community College is the fact that the class sizes are much smaller. Within the community college, the students at DSCC get the chance to have more of a personal relationship with their teachers and the staff at the college. There's one last main thing that is really important to me that makes me have a positive opinion on Dyersburg State Community College. It is inregards to the fact that I am a student with Cystic Fibrosis. Having a lung disease, I have always felt a bit different. Here at DSCC, I have learned through more personal relationships that my fellow classmates have problems just like I do. Through the tight-knit relationships the college allows kids to have (due to the school being on a smaller scale), I have been able to open up more and learn about other people with medical issues.

Alexis

I think Dyersburg State Community College is a great school. It does have its pros and cons. DSCC is located in a relatively small town of Dyersburg. Most of the students that attend here come from surrounding counties, so it is very local. DSCC has small classroom sizes; moreover, you have the ability to have the one-on-one interaction. Most of the professors I have had really care about you as a student and the grades you receive. DSCC has a limited amount of sports. They do not have that many clubs or organizations. To keep in mind, it is a community college is a small town. I feel very safe at Dyersburg State; there aren't any parties or people doing illegal things going on around here. I highly encourage students to come to Dyersburg State. It is a small college, but good enough to get a taste of the college life without jumping straight in to a big university.

Erica

Dyers burg State Community College is a good college if you are on a budget. It is a good college for someone who is shy because at this school, you will easily make friends. This college is not big at all, but everyone there is very nice. Workers and teachers go above and beyond to get to know you and help you with whatever your needs are.

Cathryn

I feel as if Dyerburg State Community College is a very helpful, welcoming inviroment! In my first semester so many people have helped me with community service hours for my scholarships, helped me find my class, and been very friendly and helpful for anything I've needed!

Tracey

Dyersburg State Community College is a great school for tradition adults who are getting their second degree. The instructors there are very helpful and caring. The campus is very peaceful and also the students are very friendly. Lastly, the new student learning center at the Covington, TN is wonderful if you are looking for a quiet study place.

Sierra

Knowing what I know now about college, I would have definitely out more effort in to my work. Also, clubs and organizations are a great look on applications, so I would have been apart of more activities in high school. When we're in high school, we seldomly think about how what we do in high school affects how we're going to do in college. Most students think it's okay not to try as hard in high school as long as they push themselves in college. Sadly, this is only partly true with a lot of effort. Not trying in high school leads to taking lower classes in college that could have been avoided. Therefore, it would take longer to reach your goal. Another reason you should try in high school is simply because you can easily forget the material when you don't apply yourself and put the information to use. I'm learning from my mistakes, but sadly I can't reverse them.

The best thing about my school would be the intrustors. Our instructors make time to assist the students. Also, our classes are very small, this makes it easier for the instructor to spend one-on-one time with each student when needed. Over my school is a very hands-on school.

I would consider the worst thing about my school to be the lack of on campus classes. My school has two campuses, but the campus I'm attending is more like the forgotten child. We don't have the same oppurtunities as the main campus. This semster all of my classes are online because I can't travel far enough to take them at the main campus which is two and a half hours from where I live.

Tiffany

My school is best know for the help and support they give you. Over 75% of the schools students recieve financial aid and the school is on top of it, they know and understand that college is a challenging thing to pay for and are willing to help.

i would tell myself to listen more to your studies and learn them. Even tho you think you may not ever use that subject again you will be suprised where that subject will pop up at.

i wish i would have known more about the college experience high school tries to prepare you but my high school was way off. College is alot more advanced and everything moves alot faster then a high school class would.

Julia

My school can be described as the bare minimum when it comes to getting an education for your intended profession. All that you're getting are the classes, which aren't even on the same difficulty level as other 4-year institutions.

As a high school senior, I was thoroughly determined to attend an accredited university as far away from my hometown as I could get while staying in-state. Although my grades, test scores, and extracurricular activities more than qualified me to attend almost any institution I wanted, I could not go to any of them. I put off filling out applications to sttend and applications for scholarships until they were long passed due. The more I was told that I should have gotten it done, the more I ignored everyone. I would tell my senior self to start filling out applications as quickly as possible to as many places possible so that I would not have had to waste my first year after graduating high school attending a community college and living at home with my mother, which had always been my ultimate worse fear.

I wish I would have known that this school did not offer any secondary education classes that would provide some kind of foundation before I trasferred to a four year university. If I had known this beforehand, I probably would not even be attending.

Wendy

The professors are willing to work with you outside of class and do their best to help you succeed in your goals. The students are all friendly, no kind of person's rejected. We have people ranging from the geek who could create his own video game just because he spends all his time playing them, (no offense to anyone I love them myself), to the high school prom queen or football jockey whom pay someone to do their work for them, (news flash for them you can't do that in college you have finals). The school is awesome!!

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, me personally I would tell myself to be careful and not get pregnant with twins in high school. It makes college a little more difficult to do. As far as the transition goes, I would tell myself to be prepared to work harder and spend more time studying than I did in high school. Take the time to join organizations and volunteer for community projects, they look good on a resume and are very helpful in deciding a major, especially if you're looking at a major in the medical field. Don't let others push you around. Take care of yourself first. Allow time for rest you're gonna need it. Lastly, always, always eat a good breakfast, you will get cranky and snap at people if you don't!!!

Anyone who is looking to obtain an associates degree, a technical certificate, or seeking to gain core requirements to transfer to a four year institute at a price thats not so bad. Parents going back to school, students just graduating high school, or even those who have fulfilled their life goals and have made new ones. It doesn't matter what age, gander, race, ar background you have. All are welcomed here.

Dyersburg State Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.