Elmira, NY
Elmira College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Elmira College

Krista

visit the schools and go to a class and talk to students. also make sure the career services office is good and will help your student find a job before graduation

Elmira College has many traditions and characteristics such as the freshman orientation program, Mountain Day singing for a day off from classes, the Candlelight ceremony that begins freshman year and ends senior year, and the love of our school colors of purple and gold!

Elmira College students aer unique in that they fit here perfectly. The ones that dont usually transfer. you must be looking for a tight-knit community that is proud of their college and is very driven to succeed.

Marcia

There are three types of classmates at Elmira. There are those who do not care and are at school for the social life and to party (a majority of the students at Elmira). The second type are those who try hard and must put in a lot of effort to succeed. The third type of classmate are those who are extremely competitive and are constantly worried about grades and maintaining a certain GPA.

Making the most of the college experience... I can hear my mom echoing something close to this statement. I made a mistake in choosing the wrong school. I realize now I chose a school that is not for me and in fact is far from my personality. But with that said I still am "making the most" of my college experience. Sometimes it's not about where you are but it is about your attitude. Attitude is everything and positivity goes a long way. I have learned to surround myself around supportive individuals and avoid those who are negative. If you have a bad attitude you won't fit at any school. Avoid the small schools- my school lacks diversity and isn't a realistic setting for the "real world." Small colleges tend to also have students who form cliques and who don't dare step foot out of their social circle. Even though small colleges have lower student to teacher ratios I would gladly give that up now. Being at a small school only means small-minded people. So go big.... find a school that is saturated with diversity, culture, and opportunities- you won't regret it, I promise.

The best thing about my school in my opinion is the opportunity to be a student athlete. I currently play a varsity sport and am a nursing major. Elmira competes at the D3 level thus allowing me to perform both in the classroom and on the court. At a Division 1 school it would be almost impossible to play a varsity level sport and be a nursing major simultaneously.

Jill

Elmira College is best known for it's school spirit and traditions. There is purple and gold (the school colors) everywhere! We sing many college songs and there is always some sort of dinner or event going on. My favorite is holiday weekend in which we have a banquet where the professors serve us a turkey dinner. Then the next night, there is a holiday ball and everyone gets dressed up like prom. People are really friendly and the campus is clean. I met the best friends that I could ever hope for here.

Finding the "right college" is perhaps one of the most difficult decisions that a young person will have to make. I agonized over the choice for a year, especially since I was the first in my family to go to college and therefore I was not familiar with the whole process. I think that the right college for each individual should be a place where they feel safe, where they feel they will learn a lot, a place where they have courses that the student feels he or she will truly enjoy, a place that has many activies and athletics to be involved in, but most importantly, a place in which the student feels comfortable and at home. Once I set foot on the Elmira College campus, I knew that this was the place for me. It was a smaller school, a beautiful campus, and had everything that I wanted. After just graduating, I know that I made the right choice. I have made life long friends that I will continue to talk to forever, I received an ivy league education at a private school cost, and I matured and grew into the person that I am today.

People who love life, are energetic, want to get a good liberal arts education, prefer a smaller school, want to live at school, and those who want to be busy and get involved in a lot of campus activities.

Robert

Some of them tend to have a feeling of entitlement due to their socio-economic backgrounds, but once real academic work sets in, most seem to straighten up. A lot of them drink, and often, but if you don't want to drink then you can usually find people to hang out with who don't. Most of them are friendly and feel a strong bond with the friends they've made at the college.

Parents: Let your children choose where they want to go. It is them that will be living and learning there for the next 4 years, not you. So make sure you don't pressure them into choosing a school they do not want to attend, it will only end badly. Students: Don't worry about making friends. It will happen, there's nothing to be worried about. College is not as scary as it can seem sometimes.

That the town is a bit more boring than I thought. But usually there is enough to do on campus or in the surrounding cities. So it's not that big of a deal.

Donna

Elmira has a center for Mark Twain Studies. We have his study on Campus; it is opened at any major event on campus. We have a school shape - The Octagon. We have the Octagon Fair in the fall, where the various organizations of the school showcase things about themselves and vendors sell things. We have a unique three term schedule, rather than quarters or semesters. In the spring we have May Days, which is a weekend Carnival on campus. Our school colors are Purple and Gold, and we have Purple rock salt, soap, christmas lights, John Deere tractors and firetruck.

While visiting the campus, be sure to talk to students that are walking around. That will give you a general idea of how the community of the school as a whole is. Also, talk to the students about what things they like and dislike about the campus. They're the ones that know best. Make sure you find out what the freshman living situation is going to be like. Ask how roommates are selected and if you can choose your own. Get a good look at a typical freshman dorm and see if you could picture yourself living there. Get a good look at the places to park on campus, because in the winter, wandering around a parking lot trying to find your car can be stressful. Find out if it costs anything to park on campus. Find the nearest bus stop for town/campus transport. Visit the school's library. See if printing or copying costs any money and how much. Find out how accessible the internet is thoughout the campus. Ask what there is to do on the weekends. Pick up a copy of the school's newspaper for a better idea of what is going on there.

The Building and Grounds people do not really come in on the weekends in the winter to take care of the snow. However, there's enough foot traffic throughout the campus that if you're wearing a good pair of boots it does not really matter. The paths get kind of flooded, so it is important to wear winter shoes when walking to class. Despite the problems with flooding, the campus is beautiful, all year round.

I believe that the key to finding the perfect place is simply to visit the college ahead of time. There is a certain feeling you will get when you are placed in the atmosphere that just tells you that you belong. Making the most of your college experience does not mean locking yourself in your room studying every hour of the day because in the end you will not remember the nights you stayed up studying, you will remember the nights you stayed up wasting time and being silly and stupid with the friends you will have for the rest of your life. You need to find yourself with the help of others because it is a road you cannot travel alone.

I think the ratio of men to women is absolutely terrible. Our campus is 70% women and 30% men. It is not very mixed or diverse and it is obviously very one-sided in the gender category. It would be better if there was a greater diversity.

The obsessiveness with tradition and purple and gold. It is just a little too much to the point where it seems almost like a cult.

Elmira College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.