Teaneck, NJ
Fairleigh Dickinson University-Metropolitan Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Fairleigh Dickinson University-Metropolitan Campus

Fixed  rate loan

Fairleigh Ridiculous

There's actually no real "global education" as the late president Adams said many years ago about FDU. The claims about students wanting to be competitive and driven to excel in their exams is not that hyped up. In fact there's a lot of ultra positive flyers that "Fairleigh Ridiculous" created by the marketing staff but the moment you sign up and enroll, it's just an average room with seats and you will be subjected to a variety of professors ranging from terrible, mediocre, alright, and good lecturers. But during the time I studied, it was very disappointing. The financial aid package just looks appealing at first but eventually you realize how overpriced is a course taught by a corporate reject who laments why he's lecturing students. The Global Education experience is just ambiguous and flawed. You can pretty much can go to a community college and see racial diversity everywhere you go in the united states. The Global Experience in and out of campus is just the same as anywhere you go outside your home. The so called international lecturers are also the same type you'd see at Montclair and Rutgers, so nothing ground breaking and new. You're better off going to Bergen Community College or Hudson Community college and then go to an older more prestiged place than FDU's "Fairleigh ridiculous" institute. Not all of the credits are transferrable, and if you're not happy with a bad grade you get from a bad professor, you're not allowed to study outside the academic rules of FDU (the director most likely will reject the credits you took at NYU or Harvard summer courses, it's a real story) . If you're unhappy with the quality of the grade and lecture and unjust methodology you want to question, you can file a grievance (faculty wont help you how to file a form, you end up writing a letter citing all the flaws you highlighted) letter but the chances are your request to appeal and investigate will be fruitless. Also during your years at FDU, either the professor or apologetic people will always find a way to put you down that if your performance is bad in a course. Even when you compared your grades outside FDU's grading system (community colleges). Also upon graduation, the job search is not that great either, you're likely to be rejected when you're competing against Steven's Tech, St Peter's college, Kean University, Montclair, NYU, Boston U, NJIT. Pretty much the stigma of "fairleigh ridiculous" supposedly leaves a stench in your resume' .... But somehow, for weird reasons, FDU seems to attrack Indian applicants... Perhaps just because the University might grant them an "american diploma" but that's about it. You're better off spending your money at a cheaper place, the lecturers I had were just as bad as the diploma mills (cittone institute, devry institute) where the professor has no idea how to teach and if you learn it from different sources, chances are there will be a diva-capricious attitude from them. Be careful.

Amani

I truly love this campus my first two years have been amazing. There was never a time where I felt like there weren't the right resources around me to help me get through a difficult course. The students are very friendly and so are the professors. Since I have completed my associates in liberal arts I can finally focus on my major which is Radiography and they work hand and hand with Valley Hospital.

Bisi
My Experience of Fdu so far

My Experience of Fdu so far

Fairleigh Dickinson university is a school for international students and commuters. If you don't fit under those two categories, it's likely you won't won't like this school. The school in itself needs a lot of work. The facilities are not up to date. The air conditioning and heating systems are all over the place. A lot of the halls are run down and it looks like a high school. In fact, it's like I'm in high school again. As for the food, it's not that great. There's some staff that's good but many are rude and won't look you in the eye when they scan you in. You get unlimited swipes in the main dining hall--because there's only one-- and about 100 dollars of flex at jeepers. Jeepers is slightly better than the dining hall but the food is expensive and it closes early most of the time. The dining hall has very limited options. You can cook your own food but the ingredients are of very low quality and the food they serve has a lot of oil in it. The chicken is often under cooked and I have had stomach aches from eating their food. Sometimes they pull food before you can get some so you have to wait until it's available. Overall, the dining options are poor. Sometimes student life holds events around campus but they're really hard to find. Broadway shows are a popular thing but they tend to be sold out or the lines are really long wrapping around the staircase. I tried joining about 3 clubs but they meet so infrequently is hard to actually be a part of it. It feels as though a select group of upperclassmen run the clubs and activities and don't care about the other students who want to join. The resident halls are very different from one another. Most freshmen live in the lindens which some people call the "hood" of fdu. Lindens 4 and 5 are not renovated and need to be., the bathrooms especially. Linden's 1 and 2 are renovated but the dorms look like jail. The courts are slightly better. They have more room in them and bigger bathrooms but it smells mildewy and could use a renovation. Last, northpointe is the place you want to be. Although I've never been inside, it's basically like a traditional college dormitory. The teachers are fantastic. They're always accessible and are ready to talk to you if you need help. The class sizes are really good too, small and intimate, I had a class that once had 7 people in it. The only bad thing is that it's hard to find your advisor and pick classes since there's so few classes. Overall, I'd say the school needs a lot of work. The academics aren't all that challenging and the atmosphere seems too relaxed. No one seems to care about their grades and education. I'm transferring out next year and would advise to save your money for a better university.

Daniela
FDU METRO

FDU METRO

Honestly, FDU was not my first choice. In fact it was my last. And yes I was super pissed to be attending my last choice school (but hey, they gave me too much to turn down) I tried to make the best of it. I got really involved in what I could on campus. And now I love it. I don't regret going to FDU. I basically met my second family there. Although the campus is pretty boring, you gotta learn to make your own memories. I wouldn't change a thing to be honest.

Melanie
FDU Metro

It is a very small campus but if filled with many different opportunites

FDU Metro

It is a very small campus but if filled with many different opportunites

Laura

I honestly don't know. If it's the international campus thing then it's totally correct and accurate.

Super diverse. The metropolitan campus is also the international student campus I've met more cultures on campus and people from all different walks of life then at any other college I've visited or attended. It really ads to the globalization of college.

I am a transfer student and love the small class numbers. I came from a pretty large high school and large junior collage and really enjoy the connections I've made with some classmates and even professors. My only concern is the CORE classes that are required. To me it's like a mistake of sociology classes and comp classes it's not year specific so as a I am a transfer my first class was shared with some freshman and as a junior the discussions felt juvenile.

Andrew

Fairleigh Dickinson is best known for its division one sports teams; such as the varsity woman's bowling team and the men's varisty soccer team. Fairleigh Dickinson is very sport oriented and for a student who doesnt participate in sports scholarships and financial aid are hard to come by and when they are available its in small quantities.

I would tell myself to review my notebooks and textbooks from highschool to retain the knowledge and to also take my studies more seriously. I will tell myself that i need to mature more and take more responsibility for my actions because in the coming years i would nt mature and take control of my life and it will spiral out of control. So the only advice i have from my past self would be to take my academic studies more seriously and to take responsibility for my actions.

A person that should attend Fairleigh Dickinson would be a student who is participating in a sports program, would like to be part of a fraternity or sorority, as well as coming from an upper middle class family.

Dania

Spending four years in high school without a mentor was not a good experience. I turned to my guidance counselor, and some of my teachers for certain questions about college. However, I feel that it would have been a different and, probably, a much better experience if I had a mentor who was there to guide me through my high school years in order to help me prepare for college. My knowledge was very much limited when it came to scholarships and community service. My college of choice was selected in June, the same month of my high school graduation; meaning, I had a very stressful senior year. The two things I knew for certain were: to stay out of trouble, and maintain good grades. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to become involved in the community by serving as a mentor for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in high school to help them start their college selection process early. College preparation starts in 9th grade; not 12th. Had I been aware of such valuable information, the beginning of my college years would have been much easier.

The school is multicultural. The diversity is a big plus.

We all know that there's no such thing as a perfect school. I thank God and grateful that I have been given the opportunity to study at Fairleigh Dickinson University. So far, so good

Dayonara

A lot of the students here don't talk to one another unless put into groups by a professor. It depends on the type of classes you're taking and what type of professor you have. The peers that I talk with are friendly and are easy going.

There are a lot of things about college that I wish I knew when I was a senior. I was under the impression that college was going to be a better experience than high school and that I’d enjoy it more. I also believed that the college I chose was my perfect fit which, turned out to be disappointing. I didn’t do enough research into my institution; I based my opinions off of what other individuals said or what I read. By not visiting the campus or thoroughly investigating, I put a lot of undue stress into my life. In addition, I would have liked to know that common essentials needed in high school, such as binders and five-spiral notebooks, were not important in college. Loading up on things that weren’t imperative was like flushing money down the toilet. Lastly, I wish I knew that fun in college was only existent if you were part of the “in-crowd” just like high school. If I could go back and tell myself to keep my eyes open more and do more research, I would have saved myself some of the 1st year disappointments.

The food in the cafeteria is hardly edible, campus security is the least bit helpful (and will run you over if you don't move off of the sidewalk they're driving on), and that some classrooms aren't meant to hold more than 15 students.

Fairleigh Dickinson University-Metropolitan Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.