Frostburg State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Frostburg State University

Allison

The best decision I have made. Frostburg State University is an awesome school.

Cheyanne

My overall opinion is that it's a great school! There's many ways to get involved, there's usually always something going on campus. My only concern is the quality of student housing. There are very few nice places to live on campus - and that's clearly reflected in how much those dorms cost. Try and save money on housing and you end up in a dorm with broken elevators, messy kitchens and leaking bathrooms.

Facia

Personally, I like Frostburg. It's a small university which don't get me wrong can have its downside, but the fact that it's a small university means that everyone knows everybody. It makes it more family like. Everyone is connected in some sort of way. That's also good because it makes everyone more comfortable and less homesick. Frostburg isn't a University that judges either. They encourage individuality and creativity. That is why so many organizations/clubs have been created. Aside from comfort, Frostburg has great academics, a clean environment and is highly cheaper than other Universities. Frostburg University is a great school and I would definitely recommend it to others.

Justin

Frostburg State University can be described in with one word, and that word is understanding. Frostburg State is understanding of the fact that us teenagers are probably going to partake in sexual activity with each other, therefore they provide and promote protection. The professors understand that many students are on sports teams, organizations, etc. so they are lenient with their office hours. The school understands that many times when students go to parties they drink and many of them live off campus, so they established a company that drives you to any place around campus and off campus called "Saferide" to prevent drunk drivers from being behind the wheel. I could go on for an hour telling about how lenient this school is, which is good because that's what makes this school great. It provides just enough leniency to prevent any student from breaking the law. And for the most part, it does. Of course there are some that still break the law but only "some". I love this school and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a college to attend.

Felicia

If you are looking for a nice school where it is easy to get the help you need either when it comes to a class, housing, or financial aid, then THIS IS NOT THE SCHOOL FOR YOU. This school cares too much about the money they get from their students and they use it in all the wrong places. Most of the professors are tenured and as a result no longer care to teach classes in a way that students can understand, there's always a problem with housing due to how inefficiently it is ran. Worse of all, the financial aid office makes too many mistakes to the point where they almost lost the school's accreditation. Going deeper into the issues that I listed, if you need help for a class you need to hope that either the tutors at the school can help you because most of the professors do not care enough and even if they claim that they do care if you come to them with a concern after class or even outside of their office hours they either disregard it or they ignore you altogether. The Residence Halls Office is usually aware of all the problems there are on campus but rather than trying to fix the issues with all the residence halls they are stock piling the money and trying to build a new dorm, leaving the old ones in poor conditions. During my first semester at Frostburg the financial aid office made a mistake where they charged me around $3000 more money than they were supposed to and then they refunded me more money than they were supposed to and added the refund charge to my tuition the following semester, and after my family they got their money they later on took away my grants because my father received a pay raise and they thought that my parents would be able to pay for my education out of pocket but they couldn't. If all this wasn't bad enough, the university police doesn't do their jobs unless marijuana is involved or if there's a party going on. I took a risk by attending this school for 2 and a half years, and I decided to further my education in another school because this school is horrid.

Jermiah

Frostburg state is a decent school, it has a unique vibe to it which in turn makes it stand out from the rest. There are a numbered amount of activities to take part in on campus, campus life isn't too extravagant but it is decent. Overall the campus is a unique yet plain experience.

Bryanna

There are a lot of clubs and extra-curricular activities on campus. The education and the campus are average. the food and nearby stores suck because there are a very limited selections of food, and the nearby stores that everyone goes to (Walmart, the mall) you need a ride for. you can't just walk. There are cute little shops & restaurants not too far off-campus.

Dezmond

Its great to be a Bobcat! That saying never felt so true to say. I love Frostburg State University. this university truly is a world full of experiences. From the beautiful view of the surrounding mountains to the comfort of the surrounding town you can feel the bobcat pride on campus. The university truly is a world of experiences and I encourage people to come and visit and if you like it apply.

Tifawni

I love FSU. It is an amazing school with a great atmosphere, it draws people in and becomes home. I am going to grad school there as soon as i finish undergraduate studies. I would hope my kids go to FSU in the future it has changed and shaped me for the future.

Jetun-Nadine

I am currently enrolled I am a visitor I will be attending Frostburg State University in the Spring of 2017. When visiting Frostburg State University and going on campus tours the campus is always clean the dorms were clean and the cafes were clean. The professors and administrators were all nice and welcoming. That is why I chose to go to Frostburg State University. They take the students academic life very seriously. All extra curricular activities are included. Students put academics as first priority. Overall Frostburg State University is a great school.

Timothy

It’s not that bad, but not that great. It’s cheap and it gets the job done. I now have to use 250 characters. Frostburg is in Maryland and was founded in 1812. Now I’m not sure if this review is mandatory or not. I like summer, and dogs. Dogs are my favorite. K thanksss byeeeee

Cheyenne

Frostburg is a diverse Campus where all the students feel comfortable sharing their opinions with each other. We're one big happy diverse family, learning about each others culture with open minds and hearts. Apply today and come join our campus family.

Savannah

I have always been a believer in the saying from Nelson Mandela that "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world" and I believe that Frostburg State University lives by that motto. Frostburg puts alot into making sure that every student succeeds and is able to leave from their university prepared for life after college. There are many classes available for all majors however, they are sure that you only have to take classes for your major so that you are not wasting credits or money. The professors are genuinely there to help you better yourself and allow "office hours" so that you can come and talk to them about any academic criteria that you may be struggling with or may just want a better understanding of. Where campus life is concerned, living on campus is nice. You have the option of living in a single room (which is what I chose), living with one roommate or living with multiple people in a quad. In each room you are given a three-drawer dresser, full closet, and micro fridge. All students have access to the two bathrooms on each room that come custom with plenty of showers, changing stalls, toilet stalls and mirrors. A residence assistant is always on duty to help you when needed as well. The food is okay and could use improvement. Some days are better than others when it comes to the general cafeteria but the vendors that we have on campus are very nice. We have Subway, Chic Fil A and many others that supply us with good food we look forward to eating while on campus. Outside of the school, the community is very warm and loving to all people. You can easily make friends and network to get bigger opportunities for yourself for when you are no longer in school. I was able to find two jobs through the help of community residence. Overall, I must say that Frostburg State University is a very great school that I would recommend to anyone. There are always academic and extra curricular activities to past the time and the environment shows that simply the people who work there care about your success. I am proud to be a bobcat!

Frostburg is fairly isolated in the middle of the rural mountains of Allegheny County, Maryland. It is one of the less-expensive colleges in Maryland, so there is a chance for incredible diversity. However, conservative mindsets are abundant despite it being a Liberal Arts college. It can be quite safe, though there is a history of crime, and the occasional critical accident does occur, mostly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Morgan

It's great! The professors are more than willing to help you succeed. There's tons to do, it's a big enough school to branch out and do your own thing, yet small enough to see and visit close friends in a flash. The university is such a much better place than i attended before

Tamia

Its a great school, the academics are excellent. The school teaches us responsibility and independency.

Kendra

FSU is a very friendly, fairly small college that is very helpful and fun to be a part of. Professors make themselves available and really seem to care about each individual student in their classes.

Joia

I have enjoyed my time so far at Frostburg. This semester I made the dean's list and it was all due to hard work and the resources that my school provides. I love our CCIT building and how the computer lab is 24 hours; this makes it easier to get work done and to stay on top of things.

It was simply a school that offered a program that could help me obtain my degree while working. I had numerous issues with Professors and the Dean and never got anything resolved. For example, during my final year of college I was working full-time, but had no health insurance. I couldn't afford to obtain health insurance through the school, so I lived with a lot of anxiety and fear about the future and my overall health. I was paying a therapist out of pocket to help manage my stress, and she offered to write a letter to the Dean so I could get extra time to complete assignments and tests. The Dean wouldn't accept my letter because I hadn't "presented my recent diagnosis prior". I will never give a cent to that school.

Noah

Very nice size! The campus and student body is big enough, where there is enough students to have programs and clubs, but yet small enough where you can still be close to your professors.

Brenna

Frostburg State is located in a small, quiet college town. I truly believe that Frostburg state has the capability of opening a world of opportunities. The class size is great and every class encourages students to truly learn and become involved. Being that some classes can consist of about 20 students, it is really easy to learn and not become lost amongst chaos.

Lyssa

I enjoy the school. There are many different people who have come here, including many people who came from China. The on-campus staff are very friendly, as well as the RA's. They have been very helpful and are willing to help no matter what you need. Starbucks is a popular place to both hangout and study as well. I would recommend Frostburg for those who are looking for a cheaper, yet good school in Maryland.

Savannah

Frostburg State University often get one of those reputations as being a "party" school however, the campus has much more to offer than parties. We are given the opportunity of a lifetime to pursue whatever career we want at a cost that is not crazy. We are only suggested to take classes that we absolutely need to, the class sizes are intimate majority of the time so that learning can take place, and the professors are readily available to us if we need them. The food on campus in the dining hall could be better but we are given other options of Subway and Chic Fil A that make up for the lack of quality of the food in the general dining hall. Overall, I give this school four stars. It isn't a bad school and we are on the right path to success but there is always room for improvement.

Miriam

Frostburg State University is best affordable college in Maryland, they help find the right financial plan for student in order to have great college experience. There are a lot of programs for any major you interested in and also some activities or clubs if your interested in college. I know is the best college because they have been awarded. Very Affordable, have small classes

Maya

It's a great institution, I would recommend this school to almost everyone. If you live in Maryland it's a nice in-state college, not too much money, you know, Professors are always available, easy to talk to, and the academics are challenging but not too much to where it stresses you out. We always find things to do, making up games, starting clubs, and groups. Honestly, if you find a group of friends you'll do great. Take your time with what you actually want to do, if you need to talk to your advisor about what classes you will take because once classes start they hit the ground and they start running. They offer most majors, the application process is easy and easy to understand. Frostburg has a great music program, but if you don't want to stay up half the night and don't have the passion for it, I would recommend finding a different major but if you really want to do it, great. It will be a bit hard your first year, but if you have the motivation and the mindset to get through it and sit down and do what you got to do, you can do anything. Sometimes your not going to want to get up for class, and you may even think about dropping out at one point, but listen, guys, you gotta have the mindset for it, you got to have tough skin. Also, take care of yourself, you know. Self-care is everything, shower, eat, exercise, relax, and treat yourself. Learn as much as you can, and enjoy your stay on and off campus, make friends and try to live your life as best as you can, because not every day is promised. The last thing, I mention it before but, college is hard. Very hard, any college you go to its hard, but if it were easy it wouldn't be worth it.

Sidonie

I love frostburg. especially being in state its a good price and it feels like im out of state but still close to home. it could be closer to other more popular stores; there is only one mall and a walmart within 30 minutes from the university, but theres plenty of caryout spots. the food on campus is ok but not all that great. Although there are plenty of opportunities for students to get involved. Because the campus is small its easy to get to most classes within 5-10 minutes (walking) or less and its usually easy to get a hold of instructors. If you want to go somewhere off campus its most likely within walking distance.

Julia

Frostburg State University was definitely one of my top picks for a couple of reasons. First of all, it was in-state (Maryland), and the tuition price was more affordable in comparison to the other Maryland universities. Another big reason was its location since my interests include the environment, hiking and animals. I knew I wanted to attend a small town college, and Frostburg seemed like a great fit since its environment was described as "rural" (and it is!). My final big reason was it is the only Maryland university with my major, Wildlife & Fisheries. Overall it's a great University and it certainly provides me with the education I need to build my future!

Michaela

I think that Frostburg State University is a wonderful school and it has great opportunities for the students. I am attending Frostburg this year as an incoming freshman and form what I have experience it is a wonderful school. I think High School students should consider applying to Frostburg.

Zoe

I love the school a lot, its in a quite area but you meet a lot of people. All the teachers really care about their students and prepare them for their major. I have felt welcomed since the beginning of the school year and I feel like I could grow as a student and a great teacher in the future. The education program is excellent their's a lot of options for you to go out into the field and do hands on work with the kids and teachers,

Keionte

From the first day I visited the campus I have had nothing but a good experience overall. I look forward to the many opportunities and experiences awaiting me at this school. What a Great school and terrific Atmosphere!! Anyone considering college in Maryland should definitely consider Frostburg State University.

Kristen

Frostburg is a nice school. It really gives you time to study and focus on work because there's really not much else to do. Of course, you can hang out with friends and look at all of the nature! Frostburg has some beautiful views. Classes aren't huge and the professors are normally available when you need them. The food isn't the best but it gets you through the day. Overall, I'd rate FSU a solid 3.7 out of 5.

Elijah

My opinion of frostburg state university is that it's a great school to keep forward with your education. There is a lot of opportunity here for you to exceed. The school really tries there best to have every student be involved with the campus ranging from clubs, work study, you name it. Now the location of is very beautiful being surrounded by nature, but the winter here could be a little overwhelming.

Nebyu

Pros: -Greek life is great here. I'm involved in Greek life and I am very happy - Lots of extra curriculars. So many. - Nature is everywhere. The atmosphere is calming, and there's even an arboretum. - There IS a night life outside of partying, if you look for it. Main Street has a theatre, a bar that hold open mic nights and poetry slams, and the literary arts center hosts authors that read their works. On campus, there's a big event in the Lane Center every month (this month had a petting zoo, caricature drawings, a man who juggled tazers, and so much more) - Most professors are enthusiastic about their job and would love to help you. There's definitely a few who are full of themselves, but for the most part, we have a great faculty. -Hands on experience with your major. As a nursing major, I get to shadow other nurses in hospitals, as just an example. But just about every major gets real hands on experience outside of school. -You will meet some great people. I have met some of my best friends here, who I know I'll have for life. -Lots of diversity Cons: -We're so fucking poor. I have no idea when is the last time they maintained the sidewalks. -Lower quad dorms are crummy. Broken blinds, stained chairs, etc. Luckily, they're renovating them all to look like upper quad dorms (which are very nice) - People will scoff at your school and say it's "not a real school" -You will wonder if what you experience is the same as any other college, or if you're being cheated out of a true college experience.This school definitely what you make out of it. You can choose to hate every negative aspect of it and suffer through it, or you can surround yourself with all the wonderful things it has to offer. Me being poor as shit, I don't have a choice. I am not my schools reputation, and you don't have to be either. I know I mentioned a lot of negative things, but I also love it here, cause it's making me stronger each day, and I have found so many beautiful people and opportunities. If you go here, id say make damn sure you get at least a 3.5 GPA when you get out so grad schools/jobs know you mean business.

Frostburg State University is a wonderful college. It has everything that I am looking for in a college. Their athletic programs are amazing and their is several opportunities for me to excel their. They have a beautiful college and several opportunities to hike and be with the outdoors. Frostburg has many clubs to join and great groups of people to be around. The campus is very clean and safe to be in and it is not that big but enough to make you feel cozy and comfortable. The proffessors and everyone else are always available to help when I could be struggling in a class and are there to answer my questions.

Mariah

I believe that the school has potential. Everyone has their own groups of friends so it's hard to meet new people because they dont want to. Also the campus is very secluded so it can get boring most times especially without friends. Professors make tests and quizzes completely unrelated from what was taught in class so you have to study literally every textbook page

Persia

I really love Frostburg State University. The campus is the perfect size. Everything on campus is in walking distance. There is a great variety of classes offered. There is also a great variety of extracurricular activities offered. The campus food is very good. Frostburg is a great school if you are looking for a campus that is not too large.

Sydney

I absolutely love Frostburg State University! I'm really happy that I enrolled onto this campus. I took away two majors things during first semester. First, my classes and cirriculum. I expected for my classes to be fairly easy. What really happened was that I withdrawed from one class and passing all my other classes. I learned that withdrawing from a class was okay, so therefore I could end in the GPA I want. I ended the semester with a 3.0 GPA and I am so proud. Secondly, social life at Frostburg State University. I met new people and I learned to manage my time while I'm with friends. I love how Frostburg State University pushed me to make my goals for the end of the semester. Professors/staff/advisors helped me with getting excellent grades, making new friends, and joining activities. I plan on accomplishing many goals at Frostburg.

Morgan

It’s a good school. However if you are in education, good luck. This school is a good school for education. However there are a billion hoops for students to jump through to get there. You can pass all the way through to your senior year and fail one class, or fail one assessment, and fail your whole major. This program is unlike no other school’s in the MD system’s and they lose students every year. I wish I had started at another school because now I’m going to have to finish at another one 4 years later.