Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Ariff

Men's basketball is the only big thing we have on campus compared to other sports. We do have a football team, but it's only a club team (oddly enough, it's the only other sport on campus to pull in at least 1000 fans). I'm more of a football fan and the fact that the school does not want to sponsor an NCAA sanction team is a disappointment. If you want to come to mason and don't mind a club football team, that's great. But if you are a hardcore football fan, a club team might not suit you too well.

Kelly

The school size is just right and it is a kept secret. People always ask if they hear that I go to GMU if I commute or stay on campus. There are many interesting things about Mason and I love all the experiences that I have had since coming to Mason. There is a lot of school pride. Students complain about the food choice on the weekend.

I have not had much experience with the student body other than classmates because I am a commuter and I do not spend much time on campus when I do not have class. I do not think that any one person would feel out of place because there is always some place for them to fit in. Most students are from out of state or Northern VA.

We are more known for being a commuter school but it is not all the way true. GMU trys and does make life interesting for students that live on campus with activities like Every Freakin' Friday. It is true that it is hard to get in if you are from Northern Virginia.

Professors do know my name because I had smaller class settings because of NCC. Next year I will be in larger classes. Students are competitive and we do discuss what we have learned in class and share it with other people like our friends. I do not spend much time with my professors outside of class. The only time that I do is to ask them a question during their office hours. Learning at Mason, I feel, is geared to getting a job first and foremost and than about the learning for itself.

I am involved with the Pep Band called the Green Machine and Mason's winterguard: Mason Declaration. I honestly do not know much about the student life since I am a commuter.

We are a commuter school and that the school only caters to commuters. Another one is that it is hard to get into GMU if you are from Northern Virginia.

Harper

GMU has no college town. It is in the middle of Fairfax, va. which is a business town but we do have access to all of the culture in DC the mountains of the Shenendoah, and city life. The one thing Mason REALLY needs to change is the parking situation. It is Terrible! I mean it...There are not enough parking lots for the amount of transit students and everytime you park you have to be extra sure of the regulations placed on that parking spot. These parking cops are vicious. Walking 1 1/2 miles to your car after class in the rain is not ideal and then realizing that the lot you were parked in turned into faculty parking 15 mins. earlier and now you have a $35-$55 ticket on your windshield is RIDICULOUS!

I would say that GMU is geared toward getting students jobs in their field of study. All departmental professors know the students names and get to know their situations and keep a close eye on their education. General education class teachers know that their classes are not top priority and give students their space. However, class participation is usually a must in all classes.

Ever since the basketball team made it into the Final Four of the NCAA tournament we have become the Cinderella school. GMU has a large population of commuters, so the atmosphere is a little apathetic towards school spirit activities.

Carlos

The best thing about GMU would have to be the diversity! U dont really find that at too many schools.

My favorite class would have had to been Communications 101. My teacher was great and let us participate in a lot of hands on activities.

I haven't really heard any stereotypes about GMU or GMU students.

The fact that GMU is only about 15 to 20 min away from DC is a plus for people who enjoy the nightlife.

Hillary

Honestly, I could care less about GMU. I only transferred here because its cheap, my fiance is stationted here, and I can drive to and from home. The only reason I'm here is I need to finish up my English degree.

NO. Every class sticks with themselves and don't intermix or talk with one another unless forced too in a class. Students are politically aware and active, but to the degree that they have no idea what they are talking about. Ignorance is a great thing!

I'm only here to get a degree and to be honest, I've had better experiences elsewhere.

I'm in a sorority, but a sorority that has no presence on campus. The Greek life is extensive and its one of the few things at Mason that is positive.

That it's the most diverse campus in the country. whatever that means...That it is welcome to all types of religions, classes, races, etc., etc. That it offers plenty of opportunities. Blow me!

No the professors forget about me after I leave there class. I'm a straight A, B+ student and have never had a real great experience with the students here. The students are competitive to the degree that they have to prove themselves and prove that they are better than their own race. I think its pretty ridiculous that I have to take and pass an intermediate level course just so I can graduate, but I have to take the class that Mason approves of. At the last college I attended, I met that requirement withh flying colors, but coming to Mason I was told that Mason goes above and beyond every other university. I was also told my transfer credit was shit and I would need to take a whole other class. Woohoo!

Hell no! It's just annoying. I'm sure you can already tell that I LOVE mason, right?

Niki

lack of commitment and enthusiasm in school life affairs

lack of commitment and enthusiasm in school life affairs

the most predominant aren't taking interest in on campus issues. commuters just come and go. not enough enthusiasm in the kids attending classes/university.

we have religious differences, its not all 'kumbayah'. we are separated and have our own cliches. our professors sometimes don't try hard enough.

they're usually meant for on campus kids.

they're stupid; they don't speak english; they don't care about their education

they don't challenge us enough.

Wade

I really liked my school. It was a good size, did not take very long to travel from one side of campus to the other. The campus is not overly crowded so you don't feel like you are packed in a sardine can while walking from class to class. I am not incredibly into school spirit, though I did enjoy cheering on the basketball team this year and watching the games. As for the biggest complain...parking is terrible. Period.

The GMU student body is INCREDIBLY diverse! Which to me is an amazing and awesome experience. Just walking down the sidewalk from one class to another you may very well hear at least 2-3 different languages being spoken and you definitely see people who come from all over the world.

I have made many good friends among the professors I have had. Class participation is a bit higher than in high school, as for competition among students I have no idea about that. I do spend time with professors outside of class, just talking about anything and everything, though not too often. Honestly I would have to say that the education I have received at GMU is geared toward learning for its own sake, not towards getting a job.

I am not involved in any clubs, though I have gone to some basketball games. My friends and I generally go to bars off campus, don't party on campus. I have no idea about the frats and such, don't care for them.

Lorie

Size is not an issue, it does not matter as long as the classes dont go beyond 23 per class. GMUs administration can be generally described as conservative. However, most of them think of themselves as liberal. A variety of people have complained that most students in the school are stuck up. My opinion, there is enough room for everybody. One thing I will say about the bureocracy that a students has to go through when trying to develop an idea can be frustrating. Example, I was involved with Student Activites for an event i organized, International Trade Discussion. After a written committment from different departments on campus it took them over three months to get speakers to get paid. This makes everybody look bad. I'm thankful that they were supportive, but I made committments to have these people paid and was unable to meet it. Not a good thing at all. Another thing I would work on changing is making African language classes available.

I dont know enough to talk about this one.

You really have to shop arround. Few are great, most of them are average and some of them are real difficult to learn anything from. Just like students.

For the most part some are but you have to go beyond the surface from an individual stand point.

Very clickish,which is true. Majority of students come from HS in the area and the others who generally tend to form clicks based on nationality or language. It is a diverse school but its not expressed in the curriculum and activities or temprature enough.

Social life is very bland because all of VA is pretty bland.

Hanna

I think my school is just right! The best thing about GMU is the location (25 min outside of DC). When I tell people I am a GMU student they all ask about the Final Four. I spend most of my time on campus in my room. For me it would be "what college town?" GMU administration is great! I worked at the SOM Dean's office for 2 years and the faculty and staff are great people. There is some school pride. I-week is my fondest memory, the exhibition of over a dozen cultures and traditions. Most frequent student complaints pertain to PARKING, or lack of.

I think that for the most part the GMU student body is the most tolerating student body or a group of people i've come across.

I don't think so, we may not be a traditional school, but every GMU student I know loves the location, campus, and most of all the DIVERSITY!

My favorite class was MKTG Jeff Kulick was my prof. really cool guy, and an amazing teacher! I learned a great deal in his class.

That GMU students don't have School Spirit.

I'm involved with The Ethiopian Student Association, I am the vice president and have been on the exec board for 3 years. I love my organization, we always have fun and annually meet our goals.

Kelsey

*Though the GMU student body is very diverse, the different groups typically stay within their own groups *most of the students financially are well-off, its hard to find very many people in the same poor boat as me *politically, students are all over the place

*i know most of my professors' names *my favorite class is my African American class and my least favorite is my social psyc class *i study probably 3 days before every test *class participation only happens in small classes with an approachable teacher *my department is integrative studies and its one of the few that is organized and knows its students *I think that the education at GMU is more geared towards learning just because i know of few options once i graduate and need a job

*a stereotype is we don't have a lot of fun

*socially, george mason has few on campus activities that happen after 9 o'clock. there are few traditions and closeness between the students besides the people that have already bonded at events off-campus

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.