Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

For me, being an athlete has been the best thing about Mason. You meet so many different people and you automatically meet your best friends from the first day you walk onto campus. The reason I came to Mason was to play Lacrosse and I would not change that for the world. The one thing i would change would to make it less of a commuter school and have more students on campus. Although we are the largest school in Virginia, you would never be able to tell because so many students live off-campus and it takes away from the college experience. I spend most of my time at the Field House and can definitly agree with the "what college town" phrase. Most people go to Arlington or Georgetown to hang out because there are not a lot of "fun" places to hang out in Fairfax.

No one would feel out of place here at mason. There are soo many different clubs, groups, religions, ethnicities and interests that there is something for everyone.

for the most part yes....Mason is a commuter school however, as the years go on, it is becoming less and less of a commuter school by bringing more out-of-state students to live on campus. The social life will increase and turn Fairfax into more of a college town. However that can only happen if they are willing to acknowledge the fact that Mason is the largest college in Virginia. Although I do not know for sure if the stereotype of professors speaking english as their 2nd language is true or not, more than half of my professors have had a very hard time communicating with students to to language barriers. Since we do not have a football team, students do not acknowledge the fact that there are other sports team at Mason. It is starting to increase awareness because of the Final Four back in 2006 and with the Game of the Week emails that are sent out to the student body. And on the last note, i can definitly tell you that for the most part, ALL of the Mason Police Officers could care less about Rape, Stealing, Abuse or Assault Charges and CARE WAY MORE about filling quotas and how many people they can arrest for underage drinking instead of making sure these students are safe while walking back to their dorms.

Lecture professors could care less who you are and could care less whether you fail or pass. They care about getting through the semester. Once you get into your major courses, professors start to learn your name and interact with you. Classes are difficult and you have to stay focused and study hard for a lot of classes just to get by. Yes, mason students have intellectual conversations outside of class, atleast the people I have met, my friends and myself have intellectual conversations with each other. The most unique class ive taken would have to be modern dance. It was a great experience and was a lot of fun but definitly unique. I am in the School of Management and although our school is known for its SOM program, the SOM administration does not really help students with class selection and helping them graduate on time. A lot of professors in SOM would rather have a student fail then pass their class and i dont think some of them even know how to write an A. Most professors even say that they are not their to pass students, they are their to teach the material whether you understand it or not is your own problem. Its kind of discouraging when you walk into a class the first day of the semester and hear "75% of this class will fail this semester and have to retake the course". However, while taking a minor in Sports Management, I had a completely opposite experience. All the professors are encouraging, learn your name, want you to learn the material and UNDERSTAND it...no matter what. They are willing to meet with you and help in the classroom and outside with references and helping getting hired in the real world. I still talk to some professors that I had taken my first semester here at Mason.

At Mason, your either in a Frat/Sorority or you play a Sport.... Students in dorms leave their doors open until you have a problem with stealing and then you are pretty concious of who is around, when your leaving your door open or unlocked. I met my closest friends through playing Lacrosse. If im awake @ 2am on a tuesday, im either drunk or studying.

Mason is a commuter school There's no social life 50% of the professors speak English as their 2ND Language Mason isnt a sports enthusiast school because it doesnt have a football team Mason Police Officers are not here to serve and protect Mason Student We are the most culturally diverse school in the nation

Roxie

Diversity is the school's greatest attribute. School pride could be better. Nice facilities.

liberal, diverse, informed about cultural movements

student body is still made up with many commuters. hot guys can be found.

offers all kinds of clubs/activities for different interests

Decent, deserves more recognition. Some students are underqualified for this level of education.

Kat

Most frequent student complaints are about parking and food. Fairfax is definilty not a college town, and anyone outside of Virginia has probably never heard of GMU. Most of my time on campus is either spent in my room or at the field house. Being an athlete most of the time i don't really know what's going on because im too busy trying to balence class and practice.

Very diverse, most of the ethinic groups tend to stick together though and theres not much interaction between them that i know of.

GMU is mainly a commuter school and it's completly dead on weekends.

I think it was pretty easy getting in to Mason, the best class i have is Russian, probably because my professor is the head of the Russian department. Other than that most of th teachers i've had havn't really been that remarkable. George Mason really stresses studying abroad and learning about different cultures, they also like you to complete foreign language requierment, more so than other schools i think.

George Mason is such a diverse campus that it is imossible to stereotype the entire student body into one type of person. Basically, don't expect the first language you hear as you step on campus to be english.

Theres always stuff going on, the religious groups are very active. I think the fraternities and soroities are active too but im not sure.

Cristina

I think the best thing about mason is how easy it is to find things and to get aroun; except for the construction now, but it will get better. When i told people i was going to GMU they asked me where that is. I told them down in Virginia and once the basketball team starting to show up in the ranks people would put it together that it was the same school. I spend most of my time on campus in our study hall, which is located behind pv's since our PE building is under construction. I think that fairfax is not a very college town more of a family town and area, but we are so close to DC so we can go out on the town there.

that people just come to this school because of the basketball team, there are many other teams that have done or going to do well this year.

I wish our lacrosse games were filled like the mens basketball games are. I am a very competitive person and i love watching other sports and supporting my fellow athletes.

Some, i have heard of people coming because they like to have a big time team like our basketball team. I just know thats how many of my friends from home knew about Mason, because of us going to the final four.

Quinn

GMU is very boring school and there is not enough activities going on in schools. most students go school just for classes and go home after classes. people are not friendly and approachable. Asians stay with Asians, Middle East stay with Middle East and so on. people are not open for other people who are different from their cultures and languages.

GMU's Students are very diverse and from different countries but they are not open to talk to other people such as Native American ( White ) or African American espeically Black.

that is very diversity and classes are challenging.

GMU is boring. people do not have social life. They just go to classes. most of them work before or after the classes.

classes in GMU are hard and most professors are not helpful. GMU's academic requirements are too much which cause to many students to stay longer in school and pay more money on school.

Mike

GMU is one of the fastest growing schools. There is so much construction and new things being built. We're young and strong and in the future will be one of the best schools.

We are a very mixed school. Lots of students from all different places, ethnicities, styles, and likes. Everyone is open, i've met so many students with so many different backrounds.

For the most part yeah, big commuting school. Not exactly ivy league.

Academics are good. There is alot of majors to choose from. Tons of students in each major.

There is really three types, Greek, Athletes, and other. Greek kids are a big part of the school and dont accept others. While athletes are accepting of everyone and very wide spread.

Commuter school. Not really the smartest students.

Hayley

I would try to get more sports teams at GMU. I think they are a great way to get income since most of them (football especially) pay for themselves within a year. I think this would also allow for more out-of-state students to come to GMU as well. I think the amount of commuters at this school gives GMU a bad rep as just a commuter school. As someone from around the area i would like to see this school become more like a JMU or UMD where school pride is big, sports are a tradition and have the school support Greek Life.

I feel this school is diverse and that's great but i think because it is so diverse it's hard for people to come together for causes such as sporting events and school pride. I feel that since most students commute here there is a lack of pride because they come to school to get a degree not for the whole college experience which is think GMU should try and strive more towards becoming.

I think sporting events are a great way to bond and support your school. I find that a large turnout really gets me pumped and shows that people support my team when we are competing. I'm not sure about what there is to do on campus on the weekends i would rather go to a party somewhere. I think Greek Life should be sponsored by the school more.

All Commuter students, not much school spirit when it comes to sports

I find all the Comm. teachers to be very friendly and nice and willing to work with students if they need extra help. I think the IT requirement should be taken away because it is hard and only useful for a couple majors. In my smaller classes the professors know my name.

James

mason is a vey diverse campus with a very diverse student body which allows everyone to learn from everyone else

the student body is amazing, lots of diversity. you learn a lot about different cultures.

not true many chose mason over those schools

academics are important at mason but not too important. the teachers are accesible and the classes not too difficult.

They all got rejected form madison, tech and uva.

students go home too much on the weekends and most parties are frat or sorority parties.

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.