Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Cristina

I think the best thing about mason is how easy it is to find things and to get aroun; except for the construction now, but it will get better. When i told people i was going to GMU they asked me where that is. I told them down in Virginia and once the basketball team starting to show up in the ranks people would put it together that it was the same school. I spend most of my time on campus in our study hall, which is located behind pv's since our PE building is under construction. I think that fairfax is not a very college town more of a family town and area, but we are so close to DC so we can go out on the town there.

that people just come to this school because of the basketball team, there are many other teams that have done or going to do well this year.

I wish our lacrosse games were filled like the mens basketball games are. I am a very competitive person and i love watching other sports and supporting my fellow athletes.

Some, i have heard of people coming because they like to have a big time team like our basketball team. I just know thats how many of my friends from home knew about Mason, because of us going to the final four.

Quinn

GMU is very boring school and there is not enough activities going on in schools. most students go school just for classes and go home after classes. people are not friendly and approachable. Asians stay with Asians, Middle East stay with Middle East and so on. people are not open for other people who are different from their cultures and languages.

GMU's Students are very diverse and from different countries but they are not open to talk to other people such as Native American ( White ) or African American espeically Black.

that is very diversity and classes are challenging.

GMU is boring. people do not have social life. They just go to classes. most of them work before or after the classes.

classes in GMU are hard and most professors are not helpful. GMU's academic requirements are too much which cause to many students to stay longer in school and pay more money on school.

Mike

GMU is one of the fastest growing schools. There is so much construction and new things being built. We're young and strong and in the future will be one of the best schools.

We are a very mixed school. Lots of students from all different places, ethnicities, styles, and likes. Everyone is open, i've met so many students with so many different backrounds.

For the most part yeah, big commuting school. Not exactly ivy league.

Academics are good. There is alot of majors to choose from. Tons of students in each major.

There is really three types, Greek, Athletes, and other. Greek kids are a big part of the school and dont accept others. While athletes are accepting of everyone and very wide spread.

Commuter school. Not really the smartest students.

Hayley

I would try to get more sports teams at GMU. I think they are a great way to get income since most of them (football especially) pay for themselves within a year. I think this would also allow for more out-of-state students to come to GMU as well. I think the amount of commuters at this school gives GMU a bad rep as just a commuter school. As someone from around the area i would like to see this school become more like a JMU or UMD where school pride is big, sports are a tradition and have the school support Greek Life.

I feel this school is diverse and that's great but i think because it is so diverse it's hard for people to come together for causes such as sporting events and school pride. I feel that since most students commute here there is a lack of pride because they come to school to get a degree not for the whole college experience which is think GMU should try and strive more towards becoming.

I think sporting events are a great way to bond and support your school. I find that a large turnout really gets me pumped and shows that people support my team when we are competing. I'm not sure about what there is to do on campus on the weekends i would rather go to a party somewhere. I think Greek Life should be sponsored by the school more.

All Commuter students, not much school spirit when it comes to sports

I find all the Comm. teachers to be very friendly and nice and willing to work with students if they need extra help. I think the IT requirement should be taken away because it is hard and only useful for a couple majors. In my smaller classes the professors know my name.

James

mason is a vey diverse campus with a very diverse student body which allows everyone to learn from everyone else

the student body is amazing, lots of diversity. you learn a lot about different cultures.

not true many chose mason over those schools

academics are important at mason but not too important. the teachers are accesible and the classes not too difficult.

They all got rejected form madison, tech and uva.

students go home too much on the weekends and most parties are frat or sorority parties.

Callie

The best thing about GMU for me is the athletics. A lot of the teams have been doing well so it makes going to the games and the campus atmosphere exciting. The school is large. I spend most of my time in my dorm or at the field house for practice. It isn't really in a college town, but Fairfax has so much to offer so it's not a boring place to live. The biggest problem here is the construction which leads to the lack of parking and inconveniences that brings.

There's a lot of activities always going on in because the student body is very involved in the student life and social activities. In the dining hall it's a very relaxed and fun place, there isn't really any designated area for anyone--you just sit where there's an empty table, which can sometimes be hard to find. Most GMU students are from all over the place, and there's a lot of commuters who live in the area.

All of the new buildings and things they're building here on campus are awesome and will be a great addition to campus life

The school does have a lot of diversity, but that's partially what gives the school it's personality

A majority of my professors know my name and have been very attentive and caring. I have really enjoyed my English and Geography classes the most because they are both very interesting subjects.

That our school has so much diversity that most of the students are from different countries; the classes are a lot easier--so the students aren't as smart as say students at Tech, or JMU

The most popular groups here on campus are the sports teams and the sororities and fraternities. These groups both offer a lot of involvement, fun, and activities. My closest friends are the girls on my team (lacrosse), and I'm dating one of the guys on the baseball team. Most of the athletes hang out with the other athletes which is fun so we all get to know each other a lot

Warner

More on campus community, our own little "downtown", the police need to chill our alittle to give us that feeling of college

This campus is supposedly diverse, but instead its extremely rciallly divided, in the jc, you know that the greek groups sit on the first floo,r the asians on the second and the middle easterns on the third, the schools constant concern with diversity and expanding our knowlege of other fcultures has created more bad then good,

Commuters, no campus community feeling

The basketball team is probably the most popular team on campus, I found being a greek organizations is probably the only thing that has given me a since of belonging on campus and given me somewhat of an actual college experience, other then that nothing, I party on the weekends and thats about it, Mason tries to have their sober eventso nthe weekends but their a waste of money, who actually wants to do that shit in colleege,

Grad students suck at teaching, professors should be also checked for general ability to communicate, alot of my professors are very smart yet because of their accent or lack of english speaking experience, they are impossible to understand while speaking in class, and if I don't understand what they are saying, I won't learn

Caitlin

I enjoy how everything is close on campus. The gym, library, food courts, dorms, and apartments are all together. I wish there was a football team of men's lacrosse team. This school is the perfect size...it's big but everything's close by. I spend a lot of time at the JC and the field house.

This campus is extremely diverse so I do not think that anyone would feel out of place.

I'm friends with mostly athletes because I am an athlete. I am also friends with the people on my floor.

The professors are all willing to help and keep in contact to get you a better grade. It is difficult for me to spend as much time as I would like studying becuase I also play a sport, and that takes up a lot of time.

Josh

parking sucks really badly and they treat alcohol like its worse than murder

parking sucks really badly and they treat alcohol like its worse than murder

very diverse but generally heartless and not united unless its basketball season

the music and economics departments are amazing, mason academically is a very sound institution but is having a difficult time transitioning from a mostly commuter school to a "real" college

for the most part, 70% of mason students complain but those who love it really love it

definatley challenging on a variety of levels

on campus life sucks because not that many students live on campus, there is nothing to do on the weekend. if you dont make friends your first week at school you probbably never will. In order to have an active partying life you better go greek.

gmu students generally dont like mason and complain a lot

Katy

GMU is a big campus but its well organized so the longest walk to classes isnt too bad, like 10 min. I would make mason less expensive, as an out of state it is redick. When I tell people I go to GMU they usually ask where that is bc they have never heard of it before. I spend most of my time at the field house training for soccer, or in the JC eating and studying. I wouldn't say that fairfax is a college town, but its not like we're in the middle of no where too. Biggest recent controversy on campus is how annoying the cops are, they go out of their way to screw over students. I would say there is a lot of school pride, esp because of the final four basketball. Besides that tho there is a good amount of attendence towards ranging other sports matches/games. One experience I will always remember is hitch hiking because the stupid shuttle bus does not run on saturdays. I know this is a large commute school, but give the on campus kids a break.

GMU is full of every type of person, and no one would feel out of place here, they would find a group. People dress causal for class, jeans and a tee, or sweat shirt. I'm not sure if didnt types of students interact, I know that the athletes usually stick together. Yes students talk about how much they'll earn one day to pay off these huge debts we've dug ourselves into.

Most amount of transfers, unhappy students, not a big party school, not a great greek life.

Sports. Uganda help is a good group too if you like world issues. Students dont leave their dorm doors open. Last weekend I went to DC and a party.

Yes the professors know my name and most of them go out of their way to make sure students succeed. My favorite class is english 201 with professor Dr. Williams, he is very deep and realistic. Least favorite is stat 250-005. The minitabs and H.W.s dont even work on macbooks, and do not help me understand the material. Depends on your major if you study a lot. Class participation is not that common. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class, and are competitive, but dont mind helping out by giving old quizes out. Most unique class is modern dance. I just declared nursing and I dont really start taking nursing classes till my junior year, if i make it into the program :/ I don't spend time with professors outside of the class.

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.