Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

whit

Great campus life and professors. the biggest complaint would be lack of parking and food places closing to early. Most people spend their time in the Johnson Center. the campus basically revolves around this building.

greek life tends to be popular on campus but there are a number of other activites. There are lots of things to do as long as you look for them and are open to trying new things

A wide aray of classes. The professors are pretty great and scheduling classes is pretty easy.

Allison

Overall George Mason is great, however parking and housing can both be a pain in the ass, but they're currently working on both.EVERYONE hates parking. We're not really a college town, but we do have a lot of bars and fun places to go to, plus we're twenty minutes outside of D.C. I spend most of my time either off campus or in my room. We tend to have alot of pride, especially when it comes to basketball. There isn't a whole lot of controversy, but about once a year really intense evangelicals come onto campus and damn everyone and we all protest, its pretty fun.

As far as student body goes, we are really open. I'm a lesbian and have never had any problems with it on campus, we even have a whole Pride Week. I feel like everyones really different, but thats also okay with everyone else. No one really seems to be ostracized. Overall we're a pretty liberal school, so the republicans may have a hard time sometimes. We have a lot of International students. Overall, we're kind of segregated in terms of types of people, but I don't think we're any worse than other schools.

I like GMU, alot!!! P.S. Admissions tends to lose things ALL the time, so if you send anything, call them repeatedly

Theres a ton to do. We have all kinds of clubs and organizations for EVERYONE, we have breakdancing, rockclimbing, sports, etc. I used to be involved in Pride and we were all pretty close, and hung out alot. Theres always something to do on campus, whether its people coming to speak or art shows, or events. We also have pretty decent parties depending on what frats you go to, a little known secret is that the Jewish frat throws the best parties. We have greek life, but its not really that important unless your actually in one. Theres still alot to do in D.C. too, which isn't too far. We go to alot of protests.

I think the academics here are pretty good once you get into the upper level classes. A lot of professors are really good, but when they terach 100 level classes they kind of B.S. it because its not what they're really interested in. In my upper level classes I've had a lot of great teachers, all who know my name and work with me on an individual basis if I need it. Most of them are always more than willing to help you out if you need. We also have a lot of really interesting classes, like Cyber punk, Queer Studies and Female Genital Cutting, for example. Some stuff is geared toward getting a job and managing in your field, but alot of it is learning just to know more. I'm an art major and everyone is really close in the art department, we all call our professors by their first name and they all will discuss work with you and joke around.

Yes, however, we don't really mingle. We're diverse yet kind of socially segregated

Ashwin

The best thing about GMU is the environment over here. Very Pleasent to be precise. A very good place to study and hangout as well.. One thing needs to be changed..Is the library..very sad collection

ISA and HSC rocks.. :D

The crowd is always hott!! even if the weather is cold!

I dont drink and I dont smoke... Social Life Rocks....I have no clue abt on campus students as i stay off campus

Obviously the professors know my name.. I am a research assistant..The courses offered in gmu are kinda okie dokie but would help if they offered more courses in Electrical Engg

Mel

The faculty is helpful,The campus

The faculty is helpful,The campus

The campus is always full of activity be it academic or otherwise

Graduate crowd is normally well experinced in the industry so it helps in making the coursework fun.

The aquatic center is a fun place to hangout

The professors know you personally and are very approachable.

scott

it is underfunded, and tuition is too high +professors do not conform to department standards---not to mention their being uncompromising and incompetant

professors do not help you. period. the only good professor is rusticci----and thats because rusticci is a god

according to the princeton review, GMU is the most diverse university in america, representing over 139 countries---so yeah

they are from a different country, have parents who work in embassies and/or are diplomats; that they may have spent the majority of thier lives in a foriegn country

Sasha

I would change the parking and the way the university treats their students. I enjoy the diversity of the university and I like the campus for the most part. I think the school pride level is pretty evenly mixed, some students love getting into the spirit and some don't even know who our mascot is. I think Gunston has been a big controversy this year, and apparently in past years. The administration is considering a new mascott and really what's the point... so we can have a mascott that looks just like UVA's pukey cavalier? No thanks. The most common complain lately is the parking as I mentioned before.

I think there are many diverse groups on the mason campus and that's awesome! I'm not sure what kind of student would feel out of place, I would say someone who doesn't know many people which is common with transfer students especially. The more people you meet however the more you feel at home and this is common in any college.

Seriously, something MUST be done about the cost of parking and the shitty circumstances they leave the students in when they let something like the circus come to town. Mason owes their students more respect.

George Mason is considered the default school, along with NOVA, for most students who grew up in the nothern VA area.

The basketball events seem to be the most attended and they're a lot of fun. I have no idea if people leave their dorm rooms open, I can't afford to live on campus. I enjoy the traditional events each year, cultural week was fun and greek week was interesting. I'm looking forward to mason day and the fall event to welcome back the students was also a lot of fun.

I would say yes, most of the people from my HS who have gone to mason either weren't good enough to get into a college with a better reputation or could not afford one.

The language department at mason needs a LOT more funding!!! The teachers are supposed to follow a strict syllabus and some do and some don't and when you need tutoring help there isn't any. I feel that the psychology department is good, this being the area I have the most experience in. However some of the books are boring and out dated so it would be good if things were evaluated more often to keep them fresh and interesting. I think some of the programs at mason make sense, trying to get you to be a well rounded student is nice, but I speak from personal experience when I say I will never need the IT skills in the corporate world.

Lee

When I tell people that I go to GMU they are always impressed. They always say how great a school it is. Students usually complain about the parking situation!--which is less than impressive at the moment.. I live off campus, but am on campus most of the time. I love getting involved in the Mason spirit!! I will always and forever remember our journey to the Final Four and all of the amazing opportunities Mason has given me.

Because of Mason's diversity, people of all different backgrounds are constantly interacting with one another. Mason prides itself on being diverse, thus we have events such as Pride Week, International Week, and Welcome Week. Many of the students at GMU are very politically aware and express their views through events like debates.

GMU students are prudish, uppity. GMU is boring-nothing to do. Everyone always goes home on the weekends.

My favorite class was my abnormal psych class. That class was very informative and was made a lot of fun by the professor. GMU students, like many others I'm sure, do have intellectual conversations outside of class. There is almost always something going on on Mason's campus that is mind boggling/stimulating. Some of the gen eds I feel students should not have to take because they do not pertain to the major. However, I agree with the gen eds in the sense that they help students 'know a little about a lot'. Once you get more into your core courses, I feel that the learning becomes more geared toward a job.

Students in the Park (freshman dorms) leave their doors open. This is something that I have missed, because once you move out of the freshman dorms, the doors get shut for whatever reason. I met my closest friends at freshman orientation, in my classes, and through other friends. Every year, Mason hosts a variety of events, ranging from Welcome Week to Mason Week. On a Saturday night, my friends and I often just hang out at someone's room and watch movies or tv..the possibilities are endless (and yet none of them involve alcohol!)!

Kathleen

I would definitely work on the parking situation. It's ridiculous. There were parking issues before they started construction, but now it's gotten out of control. They also need more on campus housing opportunities. I spend most of my time at the Catholic Campus MInistry, which is the largest student group on campus. There is definitley a lot of school pride and it's a great school to go to for that. George Mason also has a lot of different things that you can do.

George Mason is really diverse and we have a variety of students. I don't think anyone would feel out of place here, unless they can't handle a lot of traffic/commotion. Most students tend to stay within thier own groups, but there is no animosity between groups. Money is a big discussion on campus, because this is such an expensive area to live.

Sort of. There are a lot of commuters, but it's moving more towards residential. There are also a lot of international students, but we do tend to separate into our own groups and comfort zones.

I really like the academics at George Mason. I've taken a lot of electives that I've really enjoyed, since the teachers were very knowledgeable. However, within my major, I have not had a good professor within my concentration. I do not feel like I've learned anything that can be applied to a real job.

I don't live on campus so I don't really know what goes on during the weekends. We do have Mason day every year, where we just celebrate Mason. We also have a huge Homecoming Block Party. I met my closest friends at the chapel and I hang out mainly with them. Last weekend I worked and then went out with my friends.

We are all commuters or international students.

Maria

Things I would change about GMU: As both a staff member, I find it ridiculous that we A. have to pay for parking and B. that school isn't either free for us or are allowed to give our family members our benefits if we aren't attending school. As a student, there is definitely not enough pride. Final four helped that out a little bit but that's it. George Mason is a great school and people should feel pride in being a part of it.

Mason is a very diverse school having students from all over the world and even though, you still seem to see every race hanging out with their own. It's great to be able to see all the diversity, but it would also be great to see some unity within these groups.

I wish parking wasn't so crazy. That they would actually pave the parking lots. I wish that salaries for those that worked on campus were higher than they are. School in other parts of the state that aren't in such high costing places make more that those that live in this are which is completely ridiculous. Food is another issue on this campus. The cafeteria is very mediocre.

That it isn't a real college because so many people are commuters that live in the surrounding areas.

I live off campus am married with a family. Not too much time for a social life.

Favorite class is Communication 389 with Professor Anderson. She is a wonderful professor who prides herself in trying to get the most out of her students. I wouldn't say all, but most of the classes I have taken have tried to make them geared toward helping us in the real world. Being so close to the city, I believe it gives students at GMU a great advantage over many other schools.

Erika

Unfortunately, there are many commuters or people who live on campus that go home for the weekend at GMU. Like everyone says college is what you make of it, usually you wont make friends with the people who go home all the time so you really don't need to worry about having no one to hang out with on the weekends. The friends you do make will be around.

That it is a commuter school :(

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.