Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Sasha

I would change the parking and the way the university treats their students. I enjoy the diversity of the university and I like the campus for the most part. I think the school pride level is pretty evenly mixed, some students love getting into the spirit and some don't even know who our mascot is. I think Gunston has been a big controversy this year, and apparently in past years. The administration is considering a new mascott and really what's the point... so we can have a mascott that looks just like UVA's pukey cavalier? No thanks. The most common complain lately is the parking as I mentioned before.

I think there are many diverse groups on the mason campus and that's awesome! I'm not sure what kind of student would feel out of place, I would say someone who doesn't know many people which is common with transfer students especially. The more people you meet however the more you feel at home and this is common in any college.

Seriously, something MUST be done about the cost of parking and the shitty circumstances they leave the students in when they let something like the circus come to town. Mason owes their students more respect.

George Mason is considered the default school, along with NOVA, for most students who grew up in the nothern VA area.

The basketball events seem to be the most attended and they're a lot of fun. I have no idea if people leave their dorm rooms open, I can't afford to live on campus. I enjoy the traditional events each year, cultural week was fun and greek week was interesting. I'm looking forward to mason day and the fall event to welcome back the students was also a lot of fun.

I would say yes, most of the people from my HS who have gone to mason either weren't good enough to get into a college with a better reputation or could not afford one.

The language department at mason needs a LOT more funding!!! The teachers are supposed to follow a strict syllabus and some do and some don't and when you need tutoring help there isn't any. I feel that the psychology department is good, this being the area I have the most experience in. However some of the books are boring and out dated so it would be good if things were evaluated more often to keep them fresh and interesting. I think some of the programs at mason make sense, trying to get you to be a well rounded student is nice, but I speak from personal experience when I say I will never need the IT skills in the corporate world.

Lee

When I tell people that I go to GMU they are always impressed. They always say how great a school it is. Students usually complain about the parking situation!--which is less than impressive at the moment.. I live off campus, but am on campus most of the time. I love getting involved in the Mason spirit!! I will always and forever remember our journey to the Final Four and all of the amazing opportunities Mason has given me.

Because of Mason's diversity, people of all different backgrounds are constantly interacting with one another. Mason prides itself on being diverse, thus we have events such as Pride Week, International Week, and Welcome Week. Many of the students at GMU are very politically aware and express their views through events like debates.

GMU students are prudish, uppity. GMU is boring-nothing to do. Everyone always goes home on the weekends.

My favorite class was my abnormal psych class. That class was very informative and was made a lot of fun by the professor. GMU students, like many others I'm sure, do have intellectual conversations outside of class. There is almost always something going on on Mason's campus that is mind boggling/stimulating. Some of the gen eds I feel students should not have to take because they do not pertain to the major. However, I agree with the gen eds in the sense that they help students 'know a little about a lot'. Once you get more into your core courses, I feel that the learning becomes more geared toward a job.

Students in the Park (freshman dorms) leave their doors open. This is something that I have missed, because once you move out of the freshman dorms, the doors get shut for whatever reason. I met my closest friends at freshman orientation, in my classes, and through other friends. Every year, Mason hosts a variety of events, ranging from Welcome Week to Mason Week. On a Saturday night, my friends and I often just hang out at someone's room and watch movies or tv..the possibilities are endless (and yet none of them involve alcohol!)!

Kathleen

I would definitely work on the parking situation. It's ridiculous. There were parking issues before they started construction, but now it's gotten out of control. They also need more on campus housing opportunities. I spend most of my time at the Catholic Campus MInistry, which is the largest student group on campus. There is definitley a lot of school pride and it's a great school to go to for that. George Mason also has a lot of different things that you can do.

George Mason is really diverse and we have a variety of students. I don't think anyone would feel out of place here, unless they can't handle a lot of traffic/commotion. Most students tend to stay within thier own groups, but there is no animosity between groups. Money is a big discussion on campus, because this is such an expensive area to live.

Sort of. There are a lot of commuters, but it's moving more towards residential. There are also a lot of international students, but we do tend to separate into our own groups and comfort zones.

I really like the academics at George Mason. I've taken a lot of electives that I've really enjoyed, since the teachers were very knowledgeable. However, within my major, I have not had a good professor within my concentration. I do not feel like I've learned anything that can be applied to a real job.

I don't live on campus so I don't really know what goes on during the weekends. We do have Mason day every year, where we just celebrate Mason. We also have a huge Homecoming Block Party. I met my closest friends at the chapel and I hang out mainly with them. Last weekend I worked and then went out with my friends.

We are all commuters or international students.

Maria

Things I would change about GMU: As both a staff member, I find it ridiculous that we A. have to pay for parking and B. that school isn't either free for us or are allowed to give our family members our benefits if we aren't attending school. As a student, there is definitely not enough pride. Final four helped that out a little bit but that's it. George Mason is a great school and people should feel pride in being a part of it.

Mason is a very diverse school having students from all over the world and even though, you still seem to see every race hanging out with their own. It's great to be able to see all the diversity, but it would also be great to see some unity within these groups.

I wish parking wasn't so crazy. That they would actually pave the parking lots. I wish that salaries for those that worked on campus were higher than they are. School in other parts of the state that aren't in such high costing places make more that those that live in this are which is completely ridiculous. Food is another issue on this campus. The cafeteria is very mediocre.

That it isn't a real college because so many people are commuters that live in the surrounding areas.

I live off campus am married with a family. Not too much time for a social life.

Favorite class is Communication 389 with Professor Anderson. She is a wonderful professor who prides herself in trying to get the most out of her students. I wouldn't say all, but most of the classes I have taken have tried to make them geared toward helping us in the real world. Being so close to the city, I believe it gives students at GMU a great advantage over many other schools.

Erika

Unfortunately, there are many commuters or people who live on campus that go home for the weekend at GMU. Like everyone says college is what you make of it, usually you wont make friends with the people who go home all the time so you really don't need to worry about having no one to hang out with on the weekends. The friends you do make will be around.

That it is a commuter school :(

Kristin

"What college town?"--The city of Fairfax is definitely not a college town, if people want to hang out with each other they usually go to a house or maybe take a trip all the way to D.C. (if they have a car, because there's no where to park). On the weekends, Mason food closes up except for two places, because there are a lot of commuters. However, they don't realize the amount of students that still need to be fed and entertained. One thing going along with the food situation is that half the people that work at these places don't understand English as well as they should if they're trying to serve "fast food". Mason has some things going for it too though. It's not like James Madison where everyone looks the same and dresses the same, it's nice to look around and see people from all over the world mingling. The campus is beautiful and we're getting tons of new buildings. Also, the Patriot Center is right here and it has a lot of concerts, obviously basketball, the circus, and even a rodeo came. I'm glad I chose Mason over my first choice because I'm making the most of what I have here. I definitely reccommend Greek Life to all upcoming freshman, it's made Mason a lot more exciting.

George Mason is a great school if you're looking for a job in the D.C. Metro area. People can join clubs and learn about jobs or even teachers will reccommend certain interships. Speaking of classes, most are lectures but some classes have 20-30 people so someone can really get to know their professor and professors here definitely try to help out as much as they can.

The groups I'm in include, Students for Life, College Republicans and Alpha Phi. I am the Treasurer for Students for Life which is a club solely against abortion. We've had a few really good speakers come and talk about abortions, including a doctor who decided to stop doing them. College Republicans is one of the best clubs I've been in. Every meeting there's either a speaker or a discussion, and plus they go on two really nice trips to Republican conventions throughout the year. Lastly, joining Alpha Phi has been the best decision I've made Spring semester. I've met so many new people and got to know a lot of other people better by joining this sorority and doing philanthropy work with them. These girls are truly amazing and classy, and I know the next three years are going to be full of great experiences and hardwork.

People think it's really easy to get in to GMU and that maybe the students aren't as smart as though going to Virginia Tech or another popular school.

Gene

Parking sucks big time, but they swear it will get better once construction is finished. There are two computer labs, which is good because they fill up quickly during midterms and finals. I spend most of my time on campus in class, there really isn't much else to do. People are fianlly starting to recognize GMU as a legit school since basketball has blown up, but we still don't get enough respect.

Most students are respectful and nice, and the others never go to class anyway so they don't matter. There are tons of groups to join on campus, certainly one for everyone! Since Mason is such a laid back school most kids just rock whatever, but of course there are always brand whores around. As far as politics go I find most of my peers to be either uninformed or underinformed on most issues, and certainly most students and professors lean to the left on political issues.

I don't live on campus so I really don't know much about what goes on there for fun. I have met all of my friends through classes, and they are not all COMM majors. I think fraternities and sororities are really only important to the people in them, noone else cares.

Well everyone thinks of GMU as a commuter college for local kids who couldn't get into a real college.

Academics are varied. In any given class you may sit and listen to a professor drone on and on or be engaged in discussion. Intellectual conversation outside of class is not to common in my crown, but who knows right? There is very little competition at GMU, most students just try to get by without too much effort or thought. I have had some great professors and some i thought were not even qualified to teach me, once again its a varied academic environment.

Not really, GMU students are far more diverse than just NoVA dwellers.

Brittney

The most frequent student complaints are directed towards parking. Commutor and residences a like are agreeing that the construction on campus is causing unnessary problems, both with the campus' appearance and parking. Some even feel the construction is damaging their school "experience." And, I completely agree with them. I honestly do not understand why we need so many new buildings, but hey, they supposely know what they are doing.

I would say from the people I talk to most students are from Northern Virginia: Stafford, Fredericksburg, Fairfax, the list goes on. I mean I have students from other states; however, they are far and in between. To take this idea further, my roommate freshman year was not from another state or even another town. We did not know one another previously and we did random roommate selection; yet, I end up in na dorm with a girl from my hometown and went to my school rival high school. Also, I knew her sister. Do they not want us to interact with people unknown to us?

Last weekend, I went home due to an unexpected water outage in the "D.C area," as Housing told me on the phone friday morning. Also, it was full of homework so I did not exsactly go out and party.

I am not sure or any particular stereotypes of GMU students. However, I did hear a young man say my junior of high school that George Mason was the only high school of Virginia; basically implying that everyone went there and it was not somewhere he wanted to go to school.

I feel GMU's academic requirements are not benefical to the students in context with their major. For instance, my general university requirements are roughly 40 credits and on top of that I have other general requirements within the english department. Not to say I do not enjoy some of the classes, I just feel I could work on other subjects to understand my major at a better level. I mean techniquely I am taking 4 core classes that apply to my major. I think that is not exsactly something you would expect from your university, but yet our university is known to "go a step beyond." Beyond what? A basic education? All I know is, I would prefer to have more english classes that applied to my major.

I found that I do run into a lot of kids I knew from high school. So yes, I think that statement was a pretty accurate, but I do not see them every day so it is not that typical high school interaction that he was referencing.

Caroline

School pride, especially with the basketball team is amazing! Events that are held on campus bring more pride and get people involved in organizations. Most of the events offer giveaways, prizes, and free food. Although Mason is not a typical college town across the street is a shopping center with a grocery store, movie theater (with student discount), restaurants (most take Mason Money), and bars. Fairfax City also offers shops, restaurants, bars, and local live music venues. The campus does feel like one big construction site and is growing faster and larger than most people want. The parking is the biggest problem we have, but the school does provide free transportation around Fairfax City and to the Metro.

Being so close to D.C. Mason has a lot of diversity. There are some many different backgrouds and organizations for all of them. Because of the location and the commuter aspect there are a lof of upper-middle class backgrounds, which can come across as pretentious. The campus is very active in politics, again because of the location. All political views are represented though clubs. The school (although more liberal) has a fair amount of student support from all sides. Since Mason has a larger commuter population this isn't a campus where you find students wearing their PJ's around. Some students work during the day and will come to class wearing business attire.

The parking situations at Mason is a challenge, especially when Ringling Brothers comes and parjs their trailers in the student lot. If you live in Liberty Square or Potomac Heights you have a gated parking lot. The food has improved so much over the last few years. The main dinning hall has a new menu will more variety. The food court in the Johnson Center has a good variety of ethic foods, as well has typical American food and cafe/coffe bar. The Damon's on campus now has a liquor license so students 21/+ can buy drinks without having to worry about drinking and driving.

At George Mason if you have any kind of interests there is a club for you. If there isn't a club make one, it's easy if you can find others to join. The organizations range from academic to religious to interest groups. Greek life at Mason is not like many schools. There is no greek row or any greek housing. Fraternities and sororities hav events, but only get time to shine one week out of the year (Greek Week). Mason basketball is biggest athletic event students attend. It usually gets packed and special games, like Homecoming, are often sold out and packed. If football is your sport you won't really find it at Mason. The football team is a club sport with little support. The school newspaper, the Broadside, sponsors "Game of the Week" where they give free promotional items to the first 20 or so students that come. Ike's is were you will end up when you are hungry on a late night. It's a diner on campus that is only open late. It serves up greasey dinner and breakfast most nights until 3am.

During general ed requirements you will most likely be in large lecture classes where you are just a number. Once you get into your major you will get to know the professors personally. Most of the classes become more discussion based and part of your grade will be participation. Mason has a lot of adjunct professors who work part-time or only stay for a few years. Getting to know your professors will help you to get internships and jobs after graduation. Most of them are helpful and take time to get to know their students.

Erin

GMU is a good size school during the week, but when the weekend comes you wonder if anyone is actually living on campus with you. Everyone leaves on the weekends and there isn't much to do on campus. Lots of people from outside the area have never heard of GMU or only know about it because of our basketball team. Campus is centered around the JC or Johnson Center and that's where I spend most of my time if I'm not in the field house for Lacrosse or in my dorm. There isn't much school pride, most likely because we don't have a football team and because we don't know what our mascot actually is. Campus is very pretty though and everything is quite new here so those amentities are very nice. You have to make your own fun and DC is only 25 minutes away. There are a lot of good restaurants in the area. Also all parties are off campus because of strict security on campus with drinking.

There are a good number of clubs to join on campus and sports are a big deal. There are a wide variety of students here and so some show up dressed up to class and others in sweats. It's the person's preference and no one is looked at funny for their clothing choice. Most GMU students are from Maryland and Virginia. Most come from middle class backgrounds and there are a good number who are politically aware especially with DC around the corner and Bill Clinton actually came to speak in the JC this year.

Parking services are terrible, campus beautiful, facilities all new, sports teams great, good education, no football team, still a very big commuter school so not many people here on the weekends!

Yes, no one here on the weekends and you will see a wide variety of races represented, but only during the week.

Sororities and Fraternities are definately present on campus though there are no sorority houses and the frat houses are off campus. If you don't participate it's not a big deal and it's not all that many students that are involved. Sports are a big deal. I play lacrosse and all the athletes are friends with each other and support each other at games. Basketball is our main sport that most students support since we don't have a football team which is frustrating and causes lack of school spirit. Some students leave their doors open while others choose not to. Depends on the student, I'd say it's half and half. A good number of people utilize the free theater on campus too. The dating scene is just as it is everywhere, nothing special. People party on the weekends. Not much to do on week nights and everything that happens party wise is off campus which means you need a driver and this is frustrating. Not much to do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve going to a party, if there is one.

Academics are good here. The student teacher ratio is very good and you know your professors and they know you. Classes aren't terribly hard and if you do the work you should do well. Studying depends on the student. Some study a lot in the JC or in the rooms and others don't. Most classes call for participation and are part of your grade so it's common. There are a wide variety of classes offered here and students aren't competitive against each other. I think there are also a lot of job/intern opportunities for GMU students with DC around the corner and for a lot of classes going to a DC museum is common.

extrememly diverse campus commuter school

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.