Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Andy

The best thing about GMU is the diversity. Students are from all walks of life, which is an eye-opening experience and beneficial during class discussions. I think the school is a great size. It is nice to be able to walk around campus and see familiar faces, but also have the opportunity to meet new people all the time. For a long time, people would either not know what GMU was or would mention it being such a commuter school. I think the basketball team's Final Four appearance helped us to gain recognition and boosted school spirit.

I don't think any student would feel out of place. The student body is so diverse that anyone could make a friend or find someone they have something in common with, whether that be religion or academic major, etc. I wouldn't say there is a particular dress code at Mason. It ranges from sweats to suits.

The reputation GMU seems to have gotten as being strictly a commuter school is a significant stereotype.

I met most of my friends through dorm life and some through classes. Mason Day and Homecoming are two popular events on campus every year. I found that Greek life is not life is not terribly important. I had friends that were Greek and some that were not, yet we all hung out together. Some people are very into their group, while others are not. Like anything, it just depends on the person.

In my opinion, once students begin to take major courses that are more specialized, professors begin to really get to know you. I had some professors more than once, which was nice. As far as lecture courses go, the professor isn't going to be able to learn 200 names, but it is also up to the student to make themselves known, by either attending office hours or participating. The most unique class at Mason was Political Journalism. The class was held, for the most part, in a television studio in Innovation Hall. Via satellite, we had conversations with students at two other universities and the C-SPAN studios. We spoke to one another and also had guests, including Helen Thomas and Walter Cronkite.

After living on campus for four years, I believe there is a strong sense of community on campus. Even students that live off campus are often in the JC and other areas, either studying or participating in clubs and organizations. I think people, even some students, underestimate the Mason community.

Derek

Mason is a medium sized campus that is great academically and socially. It's not really a college town, and when people say Mason is a commuter school, they're right because you have to drive everywhere in Fairfax.

Students are however college students act. Most talk about anything from how much they earn, to parties to school. Everyone's the typical college student.

That's pretty much it. Mason's a good school.

GMU doesn't really have a great social scene. It's not really a party school, and it's not really ivy league either. Mason is a good school with the average social scene. Students go to bars and parties on the weekend. Usually, they aren't much.

The girls are sluts or are uptight. People at Mason act like they are too good for other people.

Not true at all. Everyone at Mason is cool. The girls have integrity and are smart and fun to be around. It's a diverse campus.

Mason is really big on making students participate either in or out of the classroom. Sometimes it getts annoying have all of these out of class projects. Mason professors can be cool, and at othet times they can forget that anyone has any other classes.

Harper

Best thing about GMU is all the stuff ya can do. Tons of frat or sorority parties. The people are cool. Everyone is really relaxed and it isn't stressful.

Diverese. There are people from all over the country. There are people from all over the world.

Mason has room for improvement. In a few years or more it will be an eliete school. Right now, they are working on becoming the best in VA. It isn't yet, but it will be. VA is a great state for colleges.

That we're only an academic school.

Parties are great. On campus can be stifiling. Really strict. It's great to get out and have fun.

No, Mason knows how to party. Just because people don't stay on campus, doesn't mean the party isn't happening at a frat house or in a local bar.

All of my classes are interesting. Could be more classes to choose from. I know lots of my friends were thinking about Mason, but didn't go because their major wasn't featured.

Madison

30,000 rejects packed into an ugly campus that has nothing worthwhile within walking distance, no parking to speak of for the majority of commuter students, a BOV that refuses to accept the "commuter school" term and tries to package it in something less depressing. A school paper that would make tabloids sick over the poor writing. No creativity to speak of. Laughable attempts by students trying to make the school either a liberal-elitist vegan enclave or a frat-boy paradise of rap-metal and beer pong. A police force that answers to no one and breaks up any attempts at fun that the few students living on campus might try to have. A Taco Bell without chalupas or mexican pizzas. "Smart" classrooms without smart teachers or smart courses. Having said that, the majority of women on campus are absolutely stunning.

Although racial diversity is through the roof, that does not mean the school is a huge cultural melting pot where everyone gets together and sings song about harmony and love. Pretty much everyone is from a Virginia suburb and this is their safety school. The whites hang out with the whites, blacks hang out with the blacks, etc. There's apparently a huge gay population at Mason, but it's not as open as one would think. While many students like to think they are politically active, the reality is that they most likely have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. The right-wing students like to complain that the school is to liberal while the left-wing likes to say it's too conservative, yet the majority of students are either too stupid or too apathetic to care either way, so it balances out.

If there is a hell below us, I have little doubt that Satan is looking at Mason and taking notes on what real torture is like. Going to Mason is like reliving your most boring high school days every time you set foot on campus. It's like a poison that creeps into your blood but doesn't kill you, so every second you spend there is more and more agonizing. You are surrounded at all times by failure that you can't escape and have nobody to blame but yourself.

That we're incapable of independent thought. That we failed high school and didn't get into a school that someone would be proud to go to. That we're old people trying to get degrees from somewhere other than Devry. That we're too stupid to be remotely creative or even function as human beings.

There is no dorm life to speak of, no town to walk to, no parties to attend, no campus hangouts to meet at, no music worth listening to, no frat rows to get drunk at, no football games to get drunk at, no clubs of artistic or intellectual merit, no guest speakers worth attending, no fun to be had. It's worse if you're a commuter student because then the slim chance you have of dating or finding friends is shot to hell. It's ok if you like basketball, but once the team starts losing and fails to make the NCAA bracket (as is the trend), the campus life dies.

These aren't stereotypes. These are scientific facts.

While the professors try to be intelligent, and while some actually are, this school simply does not foster education. A Nobel-winner or two aside (for economics), professors at Mason are usually in the process of getting a degree themselves or teaching in between jobs. If they know your name, it's only because they can't pronounce it and have a new pronunciation each class. Students here can't even spell "intellectual", much less discussing anything that could be described as such. Saying a word that has three or more syllables is usually enough get you into the honors program. Although the SDS (Students For a Democratic Society, a hippie political group originally started in the 1960s) tries to protest and "shake things up", they quickly give up when they realize almost nobody knows what they're talking about and the few that do don't care. There is no other reason to go here other than to learn how to get a job. All classes are related towards a job in some way, so there's no reason for the school to support anything intelligent or interesting that isn't useful for getting employment in the fast food industry after you graduate.

Ryan

The best thing about GMU is the size of the university and it feeling like a very secluded campus (unless you commute). Leading to what I would change, traffic/parking is horrible. In addition, the university is VERY bureaucratic. I think overall the size of the university is a plus, but at the same time, that size makes things very problematic. Most people don't know where GMU is, which is a shame. I spend most of my time on campus at the Catholic Campus Ministry Chapel because there are always people hanging out there. GMU administration is horribly inefficient, though they are making things better. They seem to be wanting to meet the needs of the students more recently. The biggest controversy on campus lately? I can't think of much, other than they continually bring in democratic candidates and events and VERY liberal and OFFENSIVE events such as the "Vagina Monologues" or a Sextravaganza. They are all about free speech until it is traditional; they do stuff like make the RA's pass out condoms but they won't let them put up information about abstinence, etc. School pride is lacking. Except for men's basketball, the sporting events aren't very popular. People always wear other college clothing. I will always remember the Final 4 Run in 2006. Most student complain about the lack of diverse food choices, be them healthy or just different. We have had mostly the same food all of my 4 years, and there is no room for a private food place to come on campus because of the agreement with our dining services; it's horrible!

Professors know your name in the smaller classes but only if you talk. My favorite class is my capstone course to graduate; it is very challenging, and it isn't just teaching the same thing in a different way. I am tired of sitting in rooms for no reason learning the same stuff over and over and am excited about the challenge. I hate classes that are large lectures and boring. Students study... There are two kinds of students: those who always study, and those who rarely do. I am a business major (School of Management), in particular, a Management major. The management program is horrible; there is no way to specialize in a certain field (non-profit, entrepreneurship, HR, etc). We must take aspects of everything. Overall, School of Management is a very large program (1/3 of all students take SOM classes), but it is still rather booring and only challenging sometimes.

I think the percentage is probably 70% democrat and 30% republican (excluding independents, etc)

Catholic Campus Ministry is one of the most active and oldest organizations on campus, yet we often get overlooked and shafted by the administration. It is the same for most of the religious groups, however Campus Crusade seems to be doing well and the same with the Muslim groups. We aren't being deprived, but we do seem to get shafted more than the rest.

They are democrats and not republican friendly.

The best thing about GMU was that I met two great roommates there. The school was rather large, and sometimes felt overcrowded. When I tell people I went to GMU, they are usually pleased. I had a great college experience. I would have to say that there was not much school pride at GMU. The only sport to really rally around was basketball. While I was there, GMU did make it to the final 4 and that was really exciting. That was the most school spirit I ever saw.

I was not associated with any group in particular. I did notice that there was a lot of diversity on campus. The oddballs usually ate in sub 1 and all the "cool" fraternity and sorority kids ate in the JC.

I would have to say the most popular group to be in was a sorority or fraternity. While living in the dorms. most people kept to themselves and left the doors closed. It was up to you to approach someone. I was not part of the party scene, I had to work while I was in school. If I was ever up late, it was just to hang out or grab some late night fast food with my roommates. Now that I have graduated, I usually go out with friends and have a good time, not always drinking!

That is the most diverse school in the nation. That a bunch of preppy kids go there

I was a part of New Century College and most of the professors I had could recognize me and knew my face. The classes were small, but very interactive. I am glad that I did not have too many of the large lecture classes. To those professors, you are just a number. I do not think that the students were really competitive. We were all education majors and took our education very seriously. I think that GMU was a great experience unlike any other to prepare me for the working world.

Yes, the school is very diverse, and that is an advantage! I would say GMU has no preppy kids than any other college.

Lorie

Close to Washington, D.C. School size is fine. Parking is horrendous. I do not spend most of my time on campus. I wish Fairfax was more of a college town. Not a lot of school pride, at all. School of Management is atrocious.

Mason is incredibly diverse which is a great thing. I do not like the crazy Cru kids though who tell you if you're Jewish, Muslim, gay, etc then you're damned to hell. I think politically, there is an even distribution of Democrats, Republicans, etc. I think there are more Libertarians that go to Mason than any other college in Virginia (which is absolutely due to our great Economics department).

Favorite class was by far Intermediate Microeconomics with Walter E. Williams.

Essentially, yes. They are right on target.

Dull, boring campus. Apathetic. Lacks school spirit.

Bob

Lots of students this semester! Everything is torn up. It's all kind of crappy having everything under construction. I won't even be going there to see the results. They could've done the construction in stages or something.

There's varying religions and races. There's varying degrees of wealth too. Most students seem okay with money. It is a college though. There's tons different students. Everyone's pretty down to Earth. Everyone at Mason seems middle class.

Traffic at Mason is awful. Parking is awful. I don't know why anyone buys a parking pass anymore. They're expensive too.

It is kind of a commuter college. I think they're trying to get away from that. It's pretty diverse, but I don't know what colleges to compare it too?

I have some pretty small classes, so most of my professors know my name. All of my classes require a lot of studying. Plus, most of my classes take attendance and require everyday participation.

It's a commuter college. Diversity.

Everyone at Mason has their group. It's all about the Frats and Sororities. Even people who commute are in some type of group.

Abby

GMU has a fairly large student population with various activities and events occurring daily. There is always something happening on campus. The best thing about GMU is how close it is to DC and how easily accessible it is. It's a great location.

I'm involved in a religious group on campus, and I absolutely love it. Depending on what your interests are you would be able to find groups that will fit your mold and that will share the same similarities as you. School organizations, clubs, sports, and sororities/fraternities are really big on campus and you can find many different organizations that might be of interest to you.

Yes, I would say that based on the facts this school is both diverse and very much a "commuter" environment.

The academics at GMU is highly noteworthy. I've always had really great professors. Classes tend to get smaller once you start getting into your major/concentration and you will be surprised to find many of the same students in your classes sometimes. I absolutely love the English Department at GMU. I've always had great English professors (many of them have doctorate degrees). Many of the professors vary, some are very personable while others are far from it. It just depends on the type of class you take and the teacher you get.

I think the biggest stereotype about GMU and the GMU students is the diversity. Also, a common stereotype about GMU includes how GMU is such a "commuter" campus.

The GMU basketball games are great especially after our first Final Four appearance. There is a lot of school spirit around GMU and this mostly stems from the sporting events that occur on campus. We usually have a ton of speakers that come to speak to students on campus. We had Bill Clinton on campus a few weeks ago, which was really neat. Being so close to the metropolitan area, we get our fair share of political figures that visit and give speeches. It's a really exciting place to be.

Ryan

The best thing about GMU is the basketball team. This is because the team brings unity to the campus. One thing I would change about GMU is people's opinion of it. Many think it is too much like a community college. I like the size of the school as it is. It is small enough that everyone is connected but it is big enough that you can blend in if you want to. When I tell people that I go to GMU I usually get a pretty positive response. Prior to the Final Four, I got a lot of, "where is that?" but this has improved tremendously. I spend the most time on campus in my dorm room or in the Johnson Center. Fairfax is not a college town. The school exists because of the town. I have no problem with GMU's adminstration. Everything has ran pretty smoothly since I have been here. At GMU I wish there was more school pride. Things have again improved a bit since the Final Four run in 2006. The one experience I will always remember about GMU, is the feeling on campus when GMU basketball was going through the Final Four. Student complaints I mainly hear about the construction, the lack of parking, and the fact that nothing is open on campus on the weekends.

Everyone here at Mason seems to be fairly open and accepting no matter what background. I feel like many students are fairly well off financially speaking. I feel as though many of the students are politically aware and I believe there is a nice balance between liberal, conservative, and other.

I like GMU's academics. Since I have gotten into my major classes many of the professors know my name and strive to give extra help when needed whether it is for class material or networking purposes. I have had some classes here at Mason that were a little easy. However, I have had more that were extensive and feel they prepared me for my career. I think the education requirements are excellent here at Mason. I feel like I have gotten a well rounded education in my four years here.

I believe the stereotype that GMU is a commuter school is accurate. However, I don't think it should have the negative connotation that everyone gives it. It really isn't a bad thing in all circumstances.

The most popular groups on campus is Greek life. They run everything, support, and unify campus. In the freshman dorms people leave their doors open. Everyone is still trying to meet people at that time. I have noticed that in the upper classman dorms everyone keeps doors shut most of the time. I think this is because many have already found their group of friends. Athletic events are not very popular with the exception of the men's basketball team. I have been luckly enough to attend several events at Mason where there has been a guest speaker. Two of the most rememorable would be Bill Clinton and Barak Obama. I met my closest friends here through greek life, my classes, and by living on campus. If I am awake at 2 am, it is because I am making a late night run to Ihop, or studying, or goofing off with my friends. My favorite events that happen yearly involve Mason Day, Homecoming events, and International week is pretty awesome as well.

A major stereotype about GMU is that it is a commuter school.

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.