Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Bob

Lots of students this semester! Everything is torn up. It's all kind of crappy having everything under construction. I won't even be going there to see the results. They could've done the construction in stages or something.

There's varying religions and races. There's varying degrees of wealth too. Most students seem okay with money. It is a college though. There's tons different students. Everyone's pretty down to Earth. Everyone at Mason seems middle class.

Traffic at Mason is awful. Parking is awful. I don't know why anyone buys a parking pass anymore. They're expensive too.

It is kind of a commuter college. I think they're trying to get away from that. It's pretty diverse, but I don't know what colleges to compare it too?

I have some pretty small classes, so most of my professors know my name. All of my classes require a lot of studying. Plus, most of my classes take attendance and require everyday participation.

It's a commuter college. Diversity.

Everyone at Mason has their group. It's all about the Frats and Sororities. Even people who commute are in some type of group.

Abby

GMU has a fairly large student population with various activities and events occurring daily. There is always something happening on campus. The best thing about GMU is how close it is to DC and how easily accessible it is. It's a great location.

I'm involved in a religious group on campus, and I absolutely love it. Depending on what your interests are you would be able to find groups that will fit your mold and that will share the same similarities as you. School organizations, clubs, sports, and sororities/fraternities are really big on campus and you can find many different organizations that might be of interest to you.

Yes, I would say that based on the facts this school is both diverse and very much a "commuter" environment.

The academics at GMU is highly noteworthy. I've always had really great professors. Classes tend to get smaller once you start getting into your major/concentration and you will be surprised to find many of the same students in your classes sometimes. I absolutely love the English Department at GMU. I've always had great English professors (many of them have doctorate degrees). Many of the professors vary, some are very personable while others are far from it. It just depends on the type of class you take and the teacher you get.

I think the biggest stereotype about GMU and the GMU students is the diversity. Also, a common stereotype about GMU includes how GMU is such a "commuter" campus.

The GMU basketball games are great especially after our first Final Four appearance. There is a lot of school spirit around GMU and this mostly stems from the sporting events that occur on campus. We usually have a ton of speakers that come to speak to students on campus. We had Bill Clinton on campus a few weeks ago, which was really neat. Being so close to the metropolitan area, we get our fair share of political figures that visit and give speeches. It's a really exciting place to be.

Ryan

The best thing about GMU is the basketball team. This is because the team brings unity to the campus. One thing I would change about GMU is people's opinion of it. Many think it is too much like a community college. I like the size of the school as it is. It is small enough that everyone is connected but it is big enough that you can blend in if you want to. When I tell people that I go to GMU I usually get a pretty positive response. Prior to the Final Four, I got a lot of, "where is that?" but this has improved tremendously. I spend the most time on campus in my dorm room or in the Johnson Center. Fairfax is not a college town. The school exists because of the town. I have no problem with GMU's adminstration. Everything has ran pretty smoothly since I have been here. At GMU I wish there was more school pride. Things have again improved a bit since the Final Four run in 2006. The one experience I will always remember about GMU, is the feeling on campus when GMU basketball was going through the Final Four. Student complaints I mainly hear about the construction, the lack of parking, and the fact that nothing is open on campus on the weekends.

Everyone here at Mason seems to be fairly open and accepting no matter what background. I feel like many students are fairly well off financially speaking. I feel as though many of the students are politically aware and I believe there is a nice balance between liberal, conservative, and other.

I like GMU's academics. Since I have gotten into my major classes many of the professors know my name and strive to give extra help when needed whether it is for class material or networking purposes. I have had some classes here at Mason that were a little easy. However, I have had more that were extensive and feel they prepared me for my career. I think the education requirements are excellent here at Mason. I feel like I have gotten a well rounded education in my four years here.

I believe the stereotype that GMU is a commuter school is accurate. However, I don't think it should have the negative connotation that everyone gives it. It really isn't a bad thing in all circumstances.

The most popular groups on campus is Greek life. They run everything, support, and unify campus. In the freshman dorms people leave their doors open. Everyone is still trying to meet people at that time. I have noticed that in the upper classman dorms everyone keeps doors shut most of the time. I think this is because many have already found their group of friends. Athletic events are not very popular with the exception of the men's basketball team. I have been luckly enough to attend several events at Mason where there has been a guest speaker. Two of the most rememorable would be Bill Clinton and Barak Obama. I met my closest friends here through greek life, my classes, and by living on campus. If I am awake at 2 am, it is because I am making a late night run to Ihop, or studying, or goofing off with my friends. My favorite events that happen yearly involve Mason Day, Homecoming events, and International week is pretty awesome as well.

A major stereotype about GMU is that it is a commuter school.

I transfered into Mason from Lord Fairfax Community College and I have been there 2 years and will be graduating in May. Here is what I know: First and foremost PARKING SUX. They are in the process of building another parking garage but that will be expensive to park in. (As are the other garages) I am not sure whats up if you live on campus. Your prob. better off although the campus is big and it will prob. be a hike from your dorm. (Depending on which dorm) Second of all, I would like to say Mason is a great college and I have enjoyed getting my education there. I had to live off campus because there was a shortage of dorms. Students were housed in nearby hotels last year if that gives you an idea. They are also building more dorms so that problem may be satisfied. Overall, its a beautiful campus (despite construction) and a diverse community of students who have lots of school pride. Thanks to the final 4 run. I would reccomend it 3 out of 5.

The student body is cool I guess. Anyone is sure to find someone they can relate too. There are also lots of passionate students so its easy to find something to get involved with. In the end, I dont think anyone would feel out of place.

I can say anything?? Hmmm.....Go Mason Nation! <---That was gay but I told you we had spirit.

I don't really know because I transfered to GMU so I will have only been there 2 years prior to graduating. It is a very diverse campus so theres alot going on.

I don't know much about this because my partying days were over after comminity college. There are lots of cool bars around town though and a Damons on campus. Besides the nite life there is always something to do as I mentioned before. One last thing, I have heard rumors that the campus clears out on the weekends but I wouldn't know since I lived off campus.

Well, I came to Mason for a B.A to become an elementary school teacher. So because Mason's teacher ed program SUX I ended up in New Century College. (check is out on their website www.ncfc.gmu.edu) NCC is an integrative studies major and then you have a concentration...mine is obviously education. Basically, if you want to be a teacher try for a school with a 4 year program. Dont get me wrong NCC is a great college and I will still be able to use my degree to get a teacher licensure it just might take me longer. I'm not going to say much more except I am not trying to make NCC sound bad because its great, I just want people to know it is a lot of reflective writng, portfolios, and class discussions. All of that is better than a packed lecture hall, and the classes are unique and interesting. Well I hope that helps.

Emma

The best thing about GMU is the laid back people. It isn't a huge party school but there is always something going on if you want to party. Theres a good balance of hard work and fun. If I could change one thing about GMU, it would be the parking! Since so many people live off campus, the parking lots fill up and if you have class anytime after 10:30am, you need to get on campus at LEAST 45 minutes before your class starts to try and find a spot somewhere. The school is the perfect size, because although it is one of the biggest schools in VA, once you make friends and meet people it becomes so much smaller because you see people you know all the time. When I tell people I go to GMU, they are impressed because it is becoming a more known school and not just because of our basketball team -- we are putting ourselves on the academic map. I spend most of my time in the JC when I'm on campus because all the best food is there, the bookstore, as well as a lot of places to study. The administration for the most part is amazing, and I have only had a few professors I thought were sub-par. The biggest recent controversy on campus was either the protesters who come every now and then and hate on almost any type of person you can find on campus (race, religion, sex, etc.) or the suicide that happened about a year ago in the Johnson Center. There is a lot of school pride, and we have a large and active greek life so its hard to meet someone who isn't always wearing either a GMU t-shirt or letters. One thing unusual about GMU is that we have an underwater hockey team. One experience I will always remember is when Barack Obama and Bill Clinton came to speak at the JC. The most complaints from students that I have heard is about parking.

Some people think that since GMU has been known as a commuter school in the past that the campus is dead on the weekends.

Depending on your class size, professors try their hardest to get to know their students. Alot of professors who teach larger classes even try to get to know their students. My favorite class so far has been my PR class with Professor Rowan. She is the most cheerful and most helpful professor I've had so far and she really wants to take care of her students, in and outside of class. My least favorite class was IT 103! I just don't get computers. Students tend to study a good amount. Class participation is common with certain students in every class. Some people prefer not to speak at all and let others do most of the talking. My major is communications and so far I love the department. I know a lot of students who have graduated from this department have gone far in the Communication world and I plan to be one of them, thanks to the great staff and classes I have and will take at Mason.

This used to be the case but since they have built the new student apartments and dorms there are a lot more people on campus at all times, not just during school hours.

Fran

The size is just right, there's nothing good about the school, the place is boring, the administration's not the best, and what college town?

My favorite classes were religion, geology, and geography because the teachers were abosolutely amazing! My least favorite class was history because the teacher was horrible.

Leah

Because I'm from California, I constantly get asked, "Why'd you pick MASON?". My short answer is that I like the area, I needed to be in a good music program, and I'm comfortable far away from home. Now that I'm here, I can say that it is definitely my place, and the people make it. I feel that many people come to the state school for financial reasons, which makes it a big commuter school. Because some people do not have many options for college, I feel that Mason students are more humble than those at a school with a much higher tuition. Mason is also extremely diverse - walking between classes it's impossible not to hear another language. It's more real-world, different from the 90% white sheltered suburbs I grew up in. Mason is also home to the Patriot Center and the Center for the Arts, two huge venues for Northern Virginia. Concerts, performances and speakers come through Mason and we often get free tickets. Many people on the west coast have only heard of Mason's basketball team (woohoo!), if that. I was originally reluctant to go to a school that didn't have a big name, but I got over that quickly. Everyone in the area knows Mason and it's a great place to be. Like at many colleges, people sport Mason clothing and paraphanalia all the time. I imagine that since the Final Four, Mason's school pride has skyrocketed. School pride is most obvious in the Patriot Center for men's basketball games. Students go all out with facepaint, signs, and anything else green and gold. It's difficult to say what I would change about Mason because I've accepted it and I love it. I think I would add more practice rooms in the Performing Arts Building and a new rehearsal hall...Oh and I would improve the food. Mason's not known for it's food, but it is improving.

Racial, religious and LGBT groups are very prominent on campus. Many people express their ties to one group or another but do so considerately. Because Mason is so diverse, different types of students interact all the time, it's practically impossible not to. Unlike high school, where I found ethnic groups to be relatively exclusive, everyone here can hang out with anyone else. Essentially, the combination of people maturing in college and the extreme diversity of this campus allows comfortable interactions with anyone. Student wear anything and everything to class. Jeans, skirts, sweatpants, T-shirts, sweaters, button down shirts, sometimes suits if they're involved in something important around the same time. Many people feel comfortable expressing their religious beliefs in their clothing as well. These include Muslim hijabs and Catholic Campus Ministry sweatshirts, for example. There are four tables in the Johnson Center, the main food court on campus. Maybe two are filled with a bunch of people associated with the same group, whether it be a fraternity, sorority, or music students. Another table may have someone eating and working on their computer, and the last may have a couple friends talking and eating before class. Students are politically aware and active. Many students attend Mason because of its proximity to DC and thereby its proximity to politics. I know many Government and International Politics majors, International Relation majors, and people whose dream is to work in the CIA or the State Department.

1. There's nothing to do 2. Parties, if there are parties, are lame 3. Nobody's here on weekends 4. People use it as a "stepping stone" school

The most popular groups on campus are probably those that have to do with religion, fraternities/sororities, or politics. I am involved with the Pep Band and I love being able to be a part of the energy that hypes up basketball games. The best part is that people who aren't necessarily involved with music in college can still participate. There are students who played half-heartedly in high school, as well as amplified strings, a crazy rhythm section and excellent musicians in the brass and woodwinds. Everyone is welcome. Athletic events are popular if it's men's basketball. Aside from that, I don't believe there is much of a turnout. Guest speakers, especially if they're politically affiliated, are very popular. I met my closest friends through my freshman dorm, the music department, Honors classes and through other friends. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I am finishing a paper. I try to avoid those nights. Mason Day (in April) is a yearly tradition. Bands come and play in a parking lot, there's free food and other games. Homecoming is also big at Mason. In February there's a week devoted to a certain theme (this year it was "Mason Rocks") and there are activities and events planned throughout the week. It ends with Saturday night's basketball game. Last weekend I went out dancing for one of my friend's birthdays. We went to Fur in DC and had a good time. I also worked on homework, spent the night with my boyfriend, and went to the gym. On a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, people can watch movies, play games (like Cranium, it's one of my favorites), go clubbing or see a show in DC or attend an event on campus (like a concert). Off campus, I like to get food, go to the mall, go into DC for any reason whatsoever, and go clubbing or dancing.

I am in the Honors Progam for General Education and in the Music Department. Teachers in the Honors Program know my name because we have classes under 25 and they are very approachable. If we have a paper or a project we often have to meet with them one on one to discuss it. Participation in class discussion also makes it easy for teachers to learn our names. In the music department, everyone knows everyone, and the ensemble directors know everybody's name. Musicians here at Mason are very personable and welcoming. Classes for my psychology major are the biggest classes I have. I think my largest class was 80 people, and not everyone showed up all the time. In no class did I feel uncomfortable participating or asking to meet with the teacher. I have intellectual conversations with other students outside of class. I think academically, your typical GMU student is more laid back than a student at an ivy league; however, there are plenty of opportunities to become involved and challenge yourself academically. I think people have more of a choice here. GMU is geared towards both getting a job and learning for its own sake. Internships are everywhere and Career Services will aid anyone in getting a job. The Honors Program is definitely geared towards learning for the sake of learning. Instead of a huge and broad general education class, the Honors program is more specific and addresses things that most people have never thought of.

1. No. There is always something to do, you just have to put yourself out there and do them. It may take a little more effort than in other schools, but the people here are friendly and very inclusive. Get involved! 2. Again, I'm afraid people expect everything to be done for them. Parties happen, but if they're on campus they're more like get-togethers because Mason cops are very strict. If you're loud on campus it's a recipe for cops. On the other hand, there are parties at houses off campus that are popular. 3. I think about half of Mason students commute, so campus is not as busy on weekends as during the week. That said, I enjoy the break from the business of the week. I like the tranquility. Moreover, it's easier to get closer to people on campus because they're in your same situation. 4. I think Mason can be classified as a "stepping stone" school, but not in a negative way. Mason is a firm institution and will give you a very good undergraduate foundation. As college graduates attend grad school more and more, I really think that Mason prepares its students for a more specific career in grad school.

Francis

The best thing about GMU is the student organizations, there are so many. I really like the diversity and the opportunities to meet different types of people. I spend most of my time on campus at the Johnson Center, Aquatic Center, and the Field house. I enjoy playing basketball and working out but I am very disappointed in George Mason's recreational facilities. GMU fails to accommodate it's paying students when they close down the very few basketball courts they have. Maybe it reflects the few students who live on campus, and I am hoping for the construction of more facilities. Mason parking is also very inconvenient, I feel this way and I live on campus. I don't look for parking everyday, but I can see and hear all the complications that come with Mason parking. Most of my needs derive from the fact that I live on campus, and end up comparing Mason to the other universities that house a lot of students.

At the Johnson Center, I feel the sorting of ethnicity is most evident. It's clear to see that there are groups of students who hang out at the Johnson Center but are usually of the same race. I don't suggest any solutions to it, or any causes of it. Sometimes I feel it's just the way things are.

It's a commuter school, doesn't really have an on campus life, therefore doesn't really give the real university feeling. Indeed GMU is a very diverse college, but it remains real diverse in the sense that "cliques" and groups are sorted by ethnicity.

I am not disappointed in Mason academics at all. There is a great studying environment at the Johnson Center. I hope the trend continues with any future buildings that mason has planned. I am quite satisfied with Mason academics, but at the same time hope that it only continues to get better.

I believe these stereotypes can prove accurate at most times. There are exceptions, but these stereotypes are pretty evident. The stereotype against the university is slowly changing, but I am not really sure in what direction Mason is headed.

Jesse

Best thing: our Economics school Change: Abolish the Office of Diversity Programs and Services The school is too small physically for its large student body Reaction: Disappointment Most of my time is spent in the Johnson Center "what college town?" George Mason's administration is stunningly incompetent The biggest recent controversy was over the Muslim Students Association's total control over the Meditation Room which became national news. There is a fair amount of school pride. There is nothing particularly unusual about GMU. The most frequent complaints are about harassment from the MSA and a lack of parking spots.

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? Pride Alliance is small but active and is fairly well accepted by non-members. There are a lot of Christian groups but most are too afraid to do anything particularly public. What kind of student would feel out of place at GMU? No one What do most students wear to class? Clothes Do different types of students interact? No Where are most GMU students from? All around the world What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? Varies greatly Are students politically aware/active? No Are they predominantly left, right or center? Left Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? No

Do professors know your name? Most Tell us about your favorite class. Arabic is by far the most educational classs I've taken. Least favorite? Fundamentals of Music - fine art credit, very boring How often do students study? Few hours a week. Is class participation common? No Do GMU students have intellectual conversations outside of class? No Are students competitive? No What's the most unique class you've taken? Counter-insurgency Tell us about your major/department. Do you spend time with professors outside of class? Nope. How do you feel about GMU 's academic requirements? The requirements are idiotic. Students have to take two years of classes that have nothing to do with their major. Is the education at GMU geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake? The education is not geared towards anything in particular, getting a job or otherwise.

Commuter school International school

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? The most popular groups are the Filipino Cultural Association, the Muslim Students Association, and "The Gathering". Tell us about a group you’re involved with. I am involved in Students for Life, College Republicans, College Democrats, Indian Students Association, Israel Club, Jewish Students Association, Sikh Students Association and a number of other groups. Do students in dorms leave their doors open? They automatically close and lock How popular are athletic events? Guest speakers? Theater? Athletic events are fairly well attended. Non-athletic events are not attended. If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? Working What traditions/events happen each year? International Day What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? Studying What do you do off campus? Work

Kelly

I love my professors at GMU. There are a few that I have had that have actually made me switch majors...some because they have inspired me, some because they have scared me away from majoring in something else. (Ex: no longer majoring in nursing because of the A&P teachers, majoring in English because of some rocking Professors that truly inspire). I think that GMU is just right in size, any bigger and the school would be too big. I wish that there was more school pride. I think that going to the final four a couple years ago really opened the door to GMU and how we are a competitive school, a school that should be taken seriously. I spend most of my time on campus in the classrooms. I don't really stay to hang out or anything, unless I am meeting people for a group project. GMU is not in a college town- it's Northern VA. Enough said. I'll always remember my English professors at GMU. Great group of people- probably don't get the great amount of respect that they deserve. The BIGGEST student complaint at GMU is the language requirement. Who the f*ck wants to take 4 semesters of a foreign language, especially since most of us have taken 3 or 4 years of it already in high school?! It's outdated, unnecessary, and no one really has an interest in it. If they do have an interest, than they major in it. I think that 2 semesters of a language requirement is sufficient. Any more than that, and you want to commit educational suicide (do I really need this degree?).

I don't think that any student would feel out of place at GMU. It is so diverse, that there is a group for every body. The only group that drives me crazy are the sororities. So many of them think that they are above everybody else. I wish that there were more "down to earth" sororities. (like for stay-at-home moms that are also students, like me!)

No, not at all! I work really hard to balance everything in my life. Even when I was single, I still worked part time while going to school, and almost every GMU student that I know has a part time job or does some kind of volunteering. I just don't think that people are appreciative of the education that they are getting at GMU because most people are commuters- there is no romanticism involved in off-campus life like there is, say, down at VA Tech or UVA.

Some professors in my major know my name. Others could care less (those are often found in other departments, though). I hate spanish class. I hate the language requirement. GMU students study a lot- especially if they want a decent grade.

That it's an easy school to get into; that the students don't work really hard in their studies or that it's an easy ride for education.

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.