Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Beatrice

The transition from high school to college was a challenge for me because of the amount of work that was necessary to get there. The amount of time necessary for studying was very different from what I was accustomed to. When I was in high school all I was told is that, college was going to be tough. I wish I had sought the opinions of those who have been there before and evaluate their situations and applied what’s learned to guide my own situation. If I had the opportunity to give myself advice about college, I would talk about research, financing, dedication, and hard work. Knowing ones options helps others to better prepare for the future triumphs, trials and tribulations ahead. Furthermore, I would talk about the amount of dedication required to achieve a goal, regardless of what that goal is. I would talk to myself about my workload. Whether it be through an education or through back breaking work, I will strive, but I need to always remember to take time for the simple things in life; things that help me to remember who I am as member of society.

Chelsea

Chelsea, failure is not an option, but change is inevitable. One thing I can say about myself is I'm a planner and I need structure in my life. My freshman year was difficult and painful. I missed my family, which is typical for a first year student but was even harder for me since I was separated from my twin sister and had trouble making friends. My worst setback came with my academics. I began the year as pre-med, and, I finished the semester with barely a 2.0. I was angry with myself because I felt like a failed. I eventually, dropped pre-med, allowing myself to focus on my major. I had to modify my original plan and even though my route may be a bit different than most students, I still plan to attend medical school in the future. College has taught me that I can't plan everything and life can be very spontaneous. I wish I knew this in high school, but I'm glad that now, I am more aware of the constant change in my life, and that life is not just black and white, but is colorful and forever changing.

I wish that I knew the importance of talking to upperclassmen. They can really help you out with picking classes and can be great friends. Also, I didn’t realize that Georgetown only has one dining hall which makes your food choices very limited. It is a small school and I didn't realize how small it was. You will see the same people so make sure that you keep good relationships with others because I can guarantee that person you got into a fight with an hour ago you will see at Leos later that evening.

If you don't like working hard or challenging yourself then Georgetown is not the place for you. Georgetown can be difficult, the academics can be intense and the students are competitive, but we all have dreams and want to succeed. You must be willing to motivate yourself. This is the key to success at this school. Georgetown also has people from different backgrounds and if you are not willing to have an open mind than this is not the place for you.

Alexandria

Paraphrasing a quote by comedian Robin Williams, students at Georgetown are the smartest "normal" people.

Georgetown is best known for its international and political character.

Don't rush into the college decision process. Each school has a unique character, so not every school is a perfect fit for every student. Instead of focusing on the school's name, research the programs the school has to offer, talk to current students, and spend time on the campus. It helps make the transition to college easier if you have already visited and know what to expect. Being in college is great because there are so many new oppurtunities and experiences presented to you, so you should take advantage of them! Try a new activity; you might find a new passion! Sit next to someone in the cafeteria who looks nothing like you; you can make a new friend while embracing diversity. Attend performances, lectures, and sports game; all of them add to the character of a school. Most importantly, have fun! Don't take yourself so seriously. You might think you know who you are, and you had to write it all down on paper for your application, but college is a time of learning and self-discovery. Don't be afraid to change and grow.

tephanie

if i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell my self to figure out what my major would be so i wont waste time just taking general education classes. i would make sure to tell myself not to take alot of classes so that i can keep up with the work. i would also tell myself not to procrastinate with the important projects and turn things in on time.

Brendan

My advice to my high school self would be to think in perspective. Life is inherently subjective and as human we tend to only consider things in the moment in which they occur. It is the wise person that considers events and decisions in the grand scheme of life and the universe. Thus I would tell myself not to solely consider what is best for myself at that given time but for me in the longrun and more importantly for those around me. I would recommend that I examine the friendships I had and to pursue the true friendship in virtue as Aristotle would put it, rather than casual friendships of use. If I were to consider the classes I took freshman year as offering the lifelong knowledge which they did, I think I would have taken a greater care to gleam as much as I could from those teachers. In retrospect, that is the main lesson of college anyway, to think more deeply and transcend the individual.

The sense of unity and the faculty are the two best features of Georgetown. It is truly a great learning institution with a history of propogating the Truth.

Nichele

Georgetown stood out to me because the staff were so welcoming. At other college visits, the staff were not as welcoming or helpful. Since I was almost 3000 miles away from my family they stepped in to make sure I felt at home. Campus life made me feel like I was living with more of my family. It helped me to not get homesick. When my parents came to visit they treated them as family as well. They were helpful to my needs or able to steer me to whom ever could help me best. The staff were awesome!

As a high school senior, you being to think you know everything and do not need help from anyone, but in reality you will need help. Looking back at my transition from high school to college my parents were the most supportive and helpful people ever. At first I tried to do everything myself, but I did not realize how hard it was going to be to keep my paperwork together, call all these different offices to make sure I was set for the year, or to keep my emotions in check. It was all very overwhelming. Without my parents my first year I do not think I would have survived. Classes were very challenging, but my parents keep encouraging me. They also would send little gifts of encouragement, such as my favorite snacks, and letters from my brothers and their families. Even though I was leaving my home thinking I would not have to bug my parents again, I never knew how much my family would play in my success. The first year is the hardest and my parents made sure I knew that I could call them and bother them anytime of day or night. Get help!

Honestly, I cannot think of anything negative about Georgetown. I enjoyed my four years at school and time flew by so fast. I guess because it was such a wonderful experience and made time fly by so fast, so that would be my most negative thing to say about the school; not a long enough stay. I wish time would have slowed down to enjoy it more and also to finish sightseeing around the area. I was there four years and still have places to visit. Hopefully soon I will be back in that area for medical school.

Kyle

I am proud to say that my high school and technical school prepared me as well as possible for college. The only advice I could give myself would be learn to cook. The hardest transition for me was living by myself. I am going to college in another state with only off campus living. My parents helped set me up in an appartment. But being alone and cooking for myself has been the most challenging for me.

Brigid

Strong ambitions that may or maynot currently drive their work ethic while their time here.

I would save up more money, prioritize my time, eat healthier, try to cram less stuff in my little dorm room and to appreciate every day.

The Catholic values and teachings because there are somethings more important than a degree.

Daniella

The best piece of advice that I can offer to you, about going off to college is the importance of accepting balance in your life. College is similar to everyday life, there is going to be surprises, some good and some disappointing. In college, you will learn every day, whether you like it or not, friends will come and go, and there will be times of extreme stress and late night cramming, but there will also be exhilarating moments of self accomplishment and peace. You will meet professors who are technically more intelligent than anyone you've ever meet before and there will be times when you’re not happy with the grades those same professors give you. Personally, I learned from the negative experiences and felt gratitude for the positive ones. If you learn to appreciate the good and the bad and stay true to yourself, you will make it through successfully.

Georgetown University's curriculum and faculty are the heart of the university. The faculty and their relationships with stduents is phenomenal. The professors are invested in thier students success and academic growth. I have defintley become a stronger scholar and more prepared for professional and field experiences becuase of the courses that i have taken at the university. Small class sizes, individual attention and a strong push from the school's faculty for academic success is what every student at the university expereiences.

The one area in which in which i consider the least favorable about the university is the social life. I believe that social activities are also important for the college experience. At Georegtown there are not that many school sponsered events where students across academic and organizational boundaries can soley meet and socialize.

Araceli

Georgetown helps the whole person develop. Personally, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Thus, it was essential that, in addition to the business courses I had chosen, I still experienced a complete liberal arts education. What's more, I have never seen a campus more dedicated to its students' health and wellbeing, which it caters to by providing a meditation center, on-residence chaplains, and so many advisors willing to help you. It also helps to be in an exciting city that offers so many opportunities for internships, networking, learning, and even fun!

I have grown so much this past year. I now feed myself, do my own laundry, and make my own decisions. Contrary to high school, I now have a choice: I can choose to learn, or I can choose not to. This was the biggest surprise for me. Classes are mainly self-taught. There are no organized PowerPoint presentations that list all you need to take away from a course in a few, succinct, and well-chosen bullet points. No one bugs me to do my homework and do it well. Here, it is up to me to choose to study. If I don’t, no one particularly cares. Some of my classmates have already dropped their valedictorian work ethic because of this. But now that I have to invest so much more into my education, I feel more committed to it. I can appreciate my success. I know I did not get where I am because someone pushed me to it; I got myself here. I’ve extended the limits of “do your best”—I’ve become aware of my true potential, more so than ever before.

I wish I had realized that it would take a long time to process my scholarship money; I couldn't afford to buy books until a month after classes started. In the future, I would make sure I had money put aside to take care of that. I also wish that I had realized that flying across the country meant my baggage charges would be high; in the future, I would ship the stuff or just buy it here. I also wished someone had prepared me for all the stairs on campus; "the Hilltop" isn't just a romantic nickname.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.