Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Rahul

Hey, it's you, but from the future. College is a place of learning, but learning is not limited to the knowledge of books contained in libraries. Books may help me toward an education, but college is teaching me how to relate with others around me find my place in this world and the universe. The world doesn’t revolve around me, nor does it revolve around any particular person. This ball of dirt may revolve around the Sun, but we revolve around each other and it is the passion within us that causes to gravitate towards or repel away from people, places and things. Although I write my destiny every day, I’ve learned something else in college. I’m not the only one. I'm just one character, not just in a play as Shakespeare would say, but a character of a word in a sentence in a story that continues to be written every day. That story of humanity is History itself, which is written by God. You didn’t believe in Him before, but he found you and saved your life. I’ve found love, patience, and faith. That is more than I ever bargained for.

There isn't a metro stop here. That can get a little annoying.

I wish I had known about the pre-college summer programs that they offer here. I would have definitely signed up for a few of them related to international relations or the summer in washington program.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college, I would definitely tell myself to not be afraid to take chances. High school puts everyone in their own comfort zone. After all, everyone is their for four years. That zone becomes hard to get out of; it becomes hard to accept change. The difficult part is that going to college is all about transitioning and changing. I was afraid to go far away from my friends and family but I did anyway and I am so happy that I made that choice. Though, even when I got to college I was still stuck in my comfort zone, not wanting to join new clubs and organizations. I would have to tell myself in the past to try new things because you meet so many amazing people and have so many opportunities. Life is all about taking chances. Nevertheless, it is understandable that people get sucked into comfort zones and it becomes hard to leave but once you do your life will take a turn for the better.

I believe that the best thing about Georgetown is its emphasis on diversity. The school stresses the importance of diversity and I consider that one of the most amazing things. I have met so many different people from various backgrouds, socio-economic statuses, ethnicties, and personalities. Knowing so many people truly makes you a better person, for you are able to see other parts of the world and hear opinions that would have otherwise not exisited to you.

I believe that any type of person could attend Georgetown University. In the past they have been known to have a preppy culture but I believe the university and its students has worked hard to rid themselves of that stererotype. DIversity is key at Georgetown nowadays. People from all over the world, rich or poor, attend. With the schools strong since of unity and school spirit, it is visible to see that everyone loves Georgetown, every type of person.

Christian

Goergetown is a home, a small, beautiful, and friendly safe haven for its students and an amazing place to receive an educati...

Goergetown is a home, a small, beautiful, and friendly safe haven for its students and an amazing place to receive an education.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high schooler about college, I think I would say that keeping one's beliefs, integrity and sense of self is the most important part about making the transition from impressionable teenager to responsible adult. I come from Nicaragua, a very small and conservative country. When I went to the United States to receive my education I admit that I was conflicted-it was so very different. While I always strived to keep in touch with the roots of my past-my culture, my religion, and my language-I do think that in such large societies, where anonimity and loneliness is not uncommon, it is very easy to lose that connection. While I fought that eventuality, I know that when I graduated high school I did not have the same appreciation for my heritage that I do now and that the strength to keep it close to my heart did not come until recently, when I felt it threatened. If I could advise myself in high school, I would tell myself to begin preparing for that intense struggle, as it is what shapes the people we become.

Deffinitely the ease with which one can make friends at Georgetown, everyone is very open-minded and interested in learning about new cultures and I think that helps to make the campus more united and much more fun.

Bridget

Georgetown is best known for its diverse, international student body, which matches their broad range of interests. Its four undergraduate colleges create a more intimate, structured framework within which students are able to hone their studies and delve deeply into their specific areas of study. Georgetown's location in the nicest neighborhood in DC provides a relatively calm atmosphere in the middle of a metropolitan area, including great restaurants and nightlife. DC also allows Georgetown the opportunity to host excellent professors and famous speakers, creating an informed, cultured, politically active community.

"Breathe, Bridget!" I wish I could scream to my seventeen-year-old self. As a high school senior, living in the aftermath of seemingly endless exams, applications and obligations, it is tempting to sprint to the finish line. I counted the days until my college decisions arrived, until graduation, until I could finally start my freshman year. My mind was anxiously fixed on the future, leaving me no energy to appreciate my final year at boarding school in Switzerland, a beautiful place filled with amazing people that I miss more and more each day. This preoccupation only intensified when summer came, when I became obsessed with picking the right professors and the perfect roommate. Although this preperation and motivation is necessary, I have gained a new appreciation for living in the moment. Freshamn year flew by, and I expect the years to only continue to accelerate as I begin internships and studying abroad. College is a delicate balance of intense experiences of both work and leisure, of transformation and development. In order to extract the best of each, you must prepare by understanding how and when to take a deep breathe and decide how certain experiences will shape your identity.

First, I brag about the family that my neighbors in my freshman dorm have become. I have yet to hear a story of a group of college students that immediately became so geninely supportive of one another, and stayed that way. Second, I brag about seeing Obama speak and my run to the White House on the night that Osama bin Laden was killed. I brag about studying international relations one day and passing the State Department and the Lincoln Memorial on my run the next day. These opportunities cannot be found anywhere but in DC.

Matthew

Staying focused while in high school will lay a firm foundation for you to relay upon in the future. Time goes by faster than we realize. Keep fellowship with the right crowd and do not be swayed by peer pressure. Often, others perspective in life can do more harm than good and deter you from your aims. Set measurable goals. More often than not, goals that are set will be achieved with the person’s lifetime. Develop a time consciousness. Being timely will add significant dividends in your path of life. Also being timely results in trustworthiness. Estimates say that 96% of people in the world are not time conscience. Set yourself apart and advance your life by being timely. Your integrity is more valuable than you realize. In a world where globalization is the norm having integrity in your dealings with people will aid you far more than the greatest resume. Doing what you say you will do holds more value than any alma mater. Your integrity matters more than the special contact you have in your contact book. These are interpersonal values that will set you apart from the rest and are lacking in society.

Attend Georgetown allows be access to the best research facilities in the academic world. The faculties commitment to scholarly learning put me in the avant-garde of students worldwide. Georgetown social culture fosters learning outside of the campus and aids ones journey in life beyond school. It is a thrilling experience to be in the center of the Nation’s capital just minutes away from the Library of Congress and the Capitol building. For me you are learning in the neighborhood circles that I will one day work. Through our speakers series we have access to many world Leaders.

My school is known to be an elitist school. I would prefer we had more outreach to inner city youth and focus on early childhood education. This by no means insists that we have none. we have partnered with jumpstart, the AmeriCorp, and the Washington [DC] Government among many. However, with the international collection of academia we have at Georgetown, resources should be used to further early childhood education in the most underserved communities. Social programs on the private sector level are crucial to sustaining an economy and our nation. There is an undiscovered resource in Youth.

Beatrice

The transition from high school to college was a challenge for me because of the amount of work that was necessary to get there. The amount of time necessary for studying was very different from what I was accustomed to. When I was in high school all I was told is that, college was going to be tough. I wish I had sought the opinions of those who have been there before and evaluate their situations and applied what’s learned to guide my own situation. If I had the opportunity to give myself advice about college, I would talk about research, financing, dedication, and hard work. Knowing ones options helps others to better prepare for the future triumphs, trials and tribulations ahead. Furthermore, I would talk about the amount of dedication required to achieve a goal, regardless of what that goal is. I would talk to myself about my workload. Whether it be through an education or through back breaking work, I will strive, but I need to always remember to take time for the simple things in life; things that help me to remember who I am as member of society.

Chelsea

Chelsea, failure is not an option, but change is inevitable. One thing I can say about myself is I'm a planner and I need structure in my life. My freshman year was difficult and painful. I missed my family, which is typical for a first year student but was even harder for me since I was separated from my twin sister and had trouble making friends. My worst setback came with my academics. I began the year as pre-med, and, I finished the semester with barely a 2.0. I was angry with myself because I felt like a failed. I eventually, dropped pre-med, allowing myself to focus on my major. I had to modify my original plan and even though my route may be a bit different than most students, I still plan to attend medical school in the future. College has taught me that I can't plan everything and life can be very spontaneous. I wish I knew this in high school, but I'm glad that now, I am more aware of the constant change in my life, and that life is not just black and white, but is colorful and forever changing.

I wish that I knew the importance of talking to upperclassmen. They can really help you out with picking classes and can be great friends. Also, I didn’t realize that Georgetown only has one dining hall which makes your food choices very limited. It is a small school and I didn't realize how small it was. You will see the same people so make sure that you keep good relationships with others because I can guarantee that person you got into a fight with an hour ago you will see at Leos later that evening.

If you don't like working hard or challenging yourself then Georgetown is not the place for you. Georgetown can be difficult, the academics can be intense and the students are competitive, but we all have dreams and want to succeed. You must be willing to motivate yourself. This is the key to success at this school. Georgetown also has people from different backgrounds and if you are not willing to have an open mind than this is not the place for you.

Alexandria

Paraphrasing a quote by comedian Robin Williams, students at Georgetown are the smartest "normal" people.

Georgetown is best known for its international and political character.

Don't rush into the college decision process. Each school has a unique character, so not every school is a perfect fit for every student. Instead of focusing on the school's name, research the programs the school has to offer, talk to current students, and spend time on the campus. It helps make the transition to college easier if you have already visited and know what to expect. Being in college is great because there are so many new oppurtunities and experiences presented to you, so you should take advantage of them! Try a new activity; you might find a new passion! Sit next to someone in the cafeteria who looks nothing like you; you can make a new friend while embracing diversity. Attend performances, lectures, and sports game; all of them add to the character of a school. Most importantly, have fun! Don't take yourself so seriously. You might think you know who you are, and you had to write it all down on paper for your application, but college is a time of learning and self-discovery. Don't be afraid to change and grow.

tephanie

if i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell my self to figure out what my major would be so i wont waste time just taking general education classes. i would make sure to tell myself not to take alot of classes so that i can keep up with the work. i would also tell myself not to procrastinate with the important projects and turn things in on time.

Brendan

My advice to my high school self would be to think in perspective. Life is inherently subjective and as human we tend to only consider things in the moment in which they occur. It is the wise person that considers events and decisions in the grand scheme of life and the universe. Thus I would tell myself not to solely consider what is best for myself at that given time but for me in the longrun and more importantly for those around me. I would recommend that I examine the friendships I had and to pursue the true friendship in virtue as Aristotle would put it, rather than casual friendships of use. If I were to consider the classes I took freshman year as offering the lifelong knowledge which they did, I think I would have taken a greater care to gleam as much as I could from those teachers. In retrospect, that is the main lesson of college anyway, to think more deeply and transcend the individual.

The sense of unity and the faculty are the two best features of Georgetown. It is truly a great learning institution with a history of propogating the Truth.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.