Georgetown University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Georgetown University

Hector

Great institution and message about serving others! The professors are great and invested in their students' success inside and outside the classroom. I am proud to be a Georgetown Hoya and I am happy to see other alumni do great things in this world.

Julia

It is the most perfect school for anyone looking in to a career in Politics and or Diplomacy. The School of Foreign Service which I am apart of specializes in this and is incredible. The people who work here are incredible and self motivated to do well.

Melissa

First of all, the Georgetown campus has an amazing neighborhood. M Street is filled with shops, restaurants, bars, yoga places. There's even a waterfront where you can stroll through for a walk or watch a really intense crew meet. If you are a brunch-aholic, look no further than Georgetown. You can have any kind of brunch you want at Georgetown- from Mexican to Asian to classic American. At Georgetown, there are so many extracurriculars to choose from that you will always find a way to stay involved and busy. People tend to be politically active, but what can you expect? We go to school in DC. There are always really cool guest speakers that come to our campus-think Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, the pope, Obama.. You get the idea. Students tend to be very athletic and in shape. The dining services does an okay job to keep underclassmen students fed, but students tend to go off the meal plan or onto a very small meal plan in their upperclassmen years. We have a Trader Joe's and Safeway, so you're all set on getting good groceries here at Georgetown. I'd recommend Georgetown to anyone who wants an environment where you can stay academically, socially, and politically involved!

Chloe

Honestly everyone raves about Georgetown as being the best place, in the center of DC. Sure, if you're in the SFS or MSB, you might have better professors and classroom experiences because they get more funding. But the College and Nursing School lacks the resources. Being pre-med is especially awful--the chem and physics department are constantly going through changes in professors because none care about undergrad teaching. However, Bio department is difficult but solid. We're overly obsessed with interning on the Hill just because we're in DC, and sometimes I feel pressured into being politically active. The arts are definitely not appreciated here, unless you do acapella. Every group on campus is super cliquey and competitive, which sucks because social scenes revolve around them. If you have the confidence that people will like you, and you can get through club applications with acceptance rates less than Harvard, go for it. Georgetown is your place. But if you're looking for somewhere inclusive and friendly, this is definitely not your place.

Alice

Absolutely amazing atmosphere. I have met some of the most interesting and engaged individuals who are not only brilliant, but also kindhearted and service-oriented. In my experience, professors are always open and willing to help. The opportunities and academics have expanded my mind, and I definitely have become more adventurous and fearless. Georgetown is set apart because of its commitment to the development of the whole person, and I can certainly attest to that. Hoya freakin saxa!

Madison

Georgetown can definitely have a toxic, high-stress culture, and coming from the west coast, I was definitely not prepared for the east coast preppy-ness. It also surprises me that for a school with a student body drenched in wealth, they do a very poor job of maintaining the facilities and financial aid for middle class students is terrible. That being said, the school has its perks and comes with some amazing opportunities, so it's really up to you to decide if its worth it.

charlotte

A fun place with a wide diversity of students (geographically, culturally, and racially). There is always something to do in the area, no matter your interests. People are there to learn but also to experience college and make friends. Overall an amazing school!

I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. And I only have quite literally one bone to pick and that's the price tag: Georgetown university is so expensive! I'm not just talking about the tuition: I mean the laundry ($1.50/wash, $1.50/dry), the printing, the meal plans (for Aramark food that is mediocre at best)...etc. and the maintenance/facilities crew is basically useless. But the social, academic, and athletic opportunities are endless. Hoya Saxa :)

K

I read a million of these reviews choosing a college so I'm hoping this is helpful. Georgetown is absolutely amazing. As someone who struggled to find a single school I actually liked, Georgetown has a little bit of everything you could possibly want. I mean really, there's truly not one thing Georgetown doesn't have. For one thing, you feel like you're sort of apart from the world on the Hilltop, and yet you literally step outside the front gates and you are in the middle of the most amazing city in the entire world. And then you walk two blocks and you have more shopping and dining options than you could ever imagine. So you get a campus but also a city. There is an insane amount of school spirit and there are always people at basketball games, but you don't have to go and its not like you have to wake up at at 6 am on Saturdays to start tailgating. The on-campus food, in my opinion, is great. You have the dining hall and meal swipe food plus all The Corp locations. I just got home for the first time since coming to school and really miss the dining hall...which is weird but true. The people are so friendly and welcoming (and ATTRACTIVE). Greek life is not at all overwhelming, but is definitely great for frat parties. Also, there seem to be a lot of complaints on this page about "club culture" at Georgetown...the truth is that they're not that exclusive, and there are plenty of clubs that simply ask you to sign up and attend meetings/events and fill out a short application. There are also a ton of more competitive and pre-professional clubs, but life does not revolve around the clubs you are in...clubs are simply a part of what makes each Hoya unique. We all have different interests and you can be totally hammered with your friends talking about absolutely nothing and then suddenly shift to an incredibly intellectual conversation. Georgetown students are a 10/10. The biggest downside about Georgetown is that ugly library, but I have gotten over that and Lau 2 is now my favorite place on campus. If you're still reading this, STOP AND APPLY/COMMIT/TRANSFER TO GEORGETOWN!

Jameel

I took a few classes at Georgetown University recently and am considering attending McDonough and Georgetown University Law Center. Speaking to the magic of the undergraduate experience, I can say that the academic experience here is genuinely top notch and very challenging. A lot of people want to attend Georgetown University so much so that a lot of people who don't actually attend Georgetown feel enticed to stock up on Georgetown paraphernalia and express their infatuation with the hill around various parts of D.C. And yet so very few of those people actually want to do the amount of work that is required at this university. This is not an easy university by any means but the kind of students and faculty you will meet here are academically brilliant and stoic. Not to mention the number of Yale Law alums this university has produced.

Daniela

I am surprised every single day by the largely diverse population and interests of the students at this University. I do wish that there were better Facilities and Management teams, they often take a while to respond to urgent needs such as mold and AC problems. Besides that, I am happy with my living situation and the convenience of having a small campus. All of my classes have demanded that I be the best student that I can be and I love the way that I am challenging intellectually by both my professors and peers. I have grown as a human being since being on this campus and I could not be happier to call myself a Hoya.

Georgetown University is filled with many amazing students and faculty. There is easy some resource that is available to you if you are in need of self-care or just simply someone to talk to. The only cons are the old buildings offered for housing, and the lack of funding to fix these facilities permanently. Our elevators in some dorms go out at least once a month. Another con is the cost of attendance, but I'm sure that is the same case for many other Universities. I can honestly say that Georgetown tries to help us overcome this through financial aid. They'll attempt to pay for all of the tuition with their scholarship program and student loans, which leaves students having to only pay for housing and food plans as needed.

J

Georgetown has a problem when it comes to on campus attitudes. It is extremely pretentious, and all the students do their best to make you aware of this. There is constant pressure to mold to what the ideal Georgetown student should be: politically active, to the point where it becomes their whole identity, well-dressed, always eating out, always working out, and always in designer clothing.

Shalina

Georgetown is a great school with excellent academic opportunities divided among four different specialty schools. I have no complaints about the education that I have received here. With a little bit of extra effort you can craft the curriculum you want the way you want, so long as you cooperate with the deans and professors, who all want nothing more than to help you. The only downside to Georgetown is that it is extremely career-oriented. You must be prepared to face people that may only want to know you for a connection or for networking. You must also understand that political culture is part of campus life, and not let it overwhelm you. If you can find your niche extracurricular at Georgetown, you will have a great time!

Alexandra

It is a beautiful college. I stayed for a week over the summer and it was obvious that it is a very high caliber school. The professors are amazing, and are very willing to help you with any questions or issues. I love the school so much. Anyone who can keep up with the pace of learning, would be very happy here.

Eliana

The campus is very beautiful and although the architecture of the facilities are old, the inside is continuously renovated. There are many options for on- and off-campus housing, which is great for students who live out of state. Although the food in the cafeteria can be improved, there are many affordable places to eat within and outside of campus. The campus lifestyle balances the rigor of academics very well.

Ines

I could not imagine myself anywhere else. Georgetown was the perfect size for me (mid-sized), and the professors are top-notch. Academically, I feel challenged to do my best but supported all the while. I would highly recommend Georgetown to prospective students seeking to study international affairs, as there is no better school for the subject than the School of Foreign Service.

Anne

Georgetown is great overall. In terms of academics, the curriculum is challenging, the students tend to be very bright, the class sizes tend to be small, and learning and professional development seems to be a priority for most. More practically, it has a beautiful campus, but the amenities aren't that great. Food on campus is expensive, and the Georgetown neighbourhood really doesn't offer much in the way of cheap and healthy meal options. Also, the Jesuit presence at Georgetown is definitely prominent, which is extremely bizarre if you haven't been exposed to religious influences. It is especially hard to swallow when it comes to health insurance and services available to female students. (Really try to get your own insurance as a woman attending this school. The practices are discriminatory and are designed to serve men much better than women, which I suppose is a reflection of the US health care system more broadly, but it is next level here due to the Jesuit influence.)

Rainah

Georgetown University is a great institution. It is quite pricey, but for the most part, you do get your money's worth. The campus is very collaborative despite its initial intimidating appearance. I am a first-year, and am happy to say that I look forward to the coming years.

P

As a current student, there are definitely pros and cons to attending the school. I'll start with the good stuff first... Pro: People are driven which is contagious - think resumes packed with internships on the Hill or at Goldman Sachs, volunteering in third-world countries, speaks multiple languages, two-five clubs with leadership positions, won a case competition, plays the piano...etc etc etc. People are political, passionate, and ambitious. Come with a dream. Con: People are hyper-competitive and sometimes too resume-oriented. Clubs are competitive...some accept only ~5%. And sometimes people just need to relaaaaaax. Ultra Type-As. Sometimes snobby. Sometimes ignorant. Pro: The campus possesses some GORGEOUS buildings - Healy Hall, White Gravenor, and Hariri Building are stunning! The first few blocks of townhouses past the front gates are considered on-campus so students (usually juniors/seniors) live in them. Very Unique Georgetown Attribute. Walking around the Georgetown area is really beautiful - posh townhouses, charming stores, nice outdoor space (you can walk to the waterfront of the Potomac or even to the National Mall). Con: The library is Ugly AF, however, GU students have a soft-spot for Lau. ICC classrooms are dreary. The architecture lacks flow. Some dorms are kind of gross. And there is a good deal of crime that happens in the Georgetown neighborhood. I don't like to walk alone at night. Pro: Food in the Georgetown area is great along with the DC area. Plenty of places to explore and tastes to satisfy Con: Leo's (the only dining hall) is gross...however is to be remodeled and ready for Fall 2017. Pro: Academics push you to learn effective time management, further your critical thinking abilities, prepare you for the professional environment, and are taught by some of the best professors in the field. Speaking of professors, they are probably one of the best parts of my GU experiences. Very intelligent and challenging, yet approachable and willing to help. Con: We have such a stress culture. Get ready to SPRINT when you come here. No warmups... Also, mental illness is not prioritized here. We have too high of a demand for too few mental healthcare providers...it usually takes a few weeks to get an appointment. And some professors are meh Pro: GU widely accepts inter-religious communities. There are plenty of places for minorities to feel apart of the community Con: We are very white and very rich. It is something that needs to change in order to combat elitism/racism and ignorance. Pro: Once you turn 21 (yes, 21), you can go to cool bars in Georgetown and DC. There are a few parties at the beginning of the year. Most nightlife take place off campus. Greek life is not that big. Con: Once it gets a little cold outside and midtermsfinalsgroupprojects start lurking, people will be staying up all night, but not to party. Greek life is not that big. And like I said, on campus parties are not too frequent. Overall, I hope that helped give a better taste of the blue&gray, jack the bulldog lovin', john carroll hoppin', HoYA! place know as Georgetown! For myself, I have had good and bad moments. But I really do love it here. And if you are a prospective student, just remember no matter where you go for school, it is really depend on what you make of it. Don't let a rejection letter limit yourself; take advantage of any opportunities that come your way at GU or another school! (i read that on pinterest i am pretty sure).

aj

My overall experience at Georgetown has been positive. Professors/TAs have incredibly high standards in academic performance. There were a few classes that consider a 93% a B+. Smaller classes can get competitive. You see a lot of homeless people sleep in the library study rooms during the winter. They should have the social worker there to help them out. I always feel bad when I see GUPD kick them out. LAU 2nd floor is a hormone-filled circus no studying is accomplished there. Everyone socially and politically wants to move mountains, and I am always surprised by where that attitude takes them.

Amber

In terms of academics, professors, and professional opportunities, Georgetown University is outstanding. Each student is able to find a spot to fit in, whether that be in the performing arts, STEM community, or political advocates. Additionally, living in DC gives students amazing opportunities not only in the political arena, but in health, math, business, etc. However, Georgetown doesn't maintain the quality of their dorms and while some have a reputation of being more problematic than others, almost every housing option, with the exception of the newly built Arrupe hall, faces facility issues on a daily basis.

Rainah

Georgetown University is an excellent school. I love it. Some of the facilities, such as residence halls, do need some repairs and updates, primarily due to age. Professors are approachable and accessible always, and fellow students are always willing to help out. There is definitely a "work hard, play hard" mentality at Georgetown University.

Rahul

My overall opinion of Georgetown University is positive. It's an institution that has numerous opportunities, especially with access to the heart of the capital of the United States. The alumni access is impeccable, and the assistance after graduation is something that I expect to be exceptional. Once a Hoya, always a Hoya.

Georgetown University provides not only academic rigor, but has a reputation to uphold as it is one of the oldest and most renown universities. Therefore, being a student at this university pushes me beyond my normal academic limits to mold me into a better student and one day, a better physician. I believe Georgetown University will provide the most opportunistic environment to fulfill my dream of becoming a medical doctor.

Dahlia

There is no better school to attend if you want the perfect intersection of politics, city life, and a university atmosphere. The campus itself is beautiful, and its location is unparalleled. You can see the Washington Monument from the dorms, and can reach downtown via walking, skating, or taking one of the free buses. Because we are in the nation's capital, political events are common and political figures often visit campus. Many students are passionate about politics. The student body is growing more and more diverse, and will hopefully that trend will continue. The campus is very safe and easy to navigate. However, it isn't very accessible to handicapped students. Furthermore, the dining hall is pretty, but the food isn't always super tasty in the main dining hall. Luckily, we have other on-campus options and many restaurants around campus. My favorite part about Georgetown is that it is a relatively small school. As a result, you will often see your friends somewhere around campus, and it's very hard to get lost. Also, most of the classes (other than the freshman intro classes) are quite small, so professors are easy to access and contact.

Cathilyn

I believe Georgetown has something for everyone wether it be academic, athletic, or club activities. The classes here are very small meaning that you are a receiving a more personalized education. The professors here are also very understanding of students' life outside of the classroom and are very flexible. We may not have the flashiest facilities, but I think that is what makes it fun. The University's location allows its students to have a substantial amount of opportunities for just about anything: study abroad, job opportunities, forming connections, and more. Additionally, there is a very strong connection with Georgetown alumni which opens the door for even more opportunities. Being in the nation's capital means that there is always something to do around campus, as well.

Connor

Ok so here's the deal. Academically I wouldn't have traded Georgetown for almost anywhere else. The caliber of students is incredible, and the diversity of backgrounds can lead to some incredibly productive conversations. The teachers are generally good, but can vary widely. There is space on this campus for everyone. THAT BEING SAID... I'm really writing this review to address some cultural issues which I believe students should be aware of. 1st: Georgetown is stingy. I mean really stingy. The dorms consistently have mold and water damage - there isn't a single person here who doesn't know at least one person who has had to move out of their dorm for a period of time due to latent maintenance issues. The buildings are (generally) extremely poorly maintained. 2nd: Georgetown is absolutely horrible when it comes to handling issues of SEXUAL ASSAULT and MINORITY RIGHTS (putting these in caps so hopefully people stop to read the review and are made aware of the issue). I'm not a super liberal person. I'm pretty centrist actually, and I'm not an activist (not that those are bad things) on many things myself. That being said, I just have to lament the sad state of things when it comes to CREATING A SAFE ENVIRONMENT for women especially but people in general. Women have been raped here. A friend of mine was raped. I was a witness for her Title IX investigation and throughout the process Georgetown was nothing but difficult and insensitive. The statistics themselves are shocking. 1/4 women who finish a four year degree here have been sexually assaulted at some point, yet between 2014-2017 only 14 hearings were held. Think about that. This is an institutional issue here, and one every student (male or female) should be aware of before coming here. In conclusion: If you're interested in Georgetown, know that it IS an amazing academic school! Professors do care about you, and your peers are generally incredibly awesome people - but know there are drawbacks, and serious ones. Sorry if this came off too hard, but I just think more people need to know what exists beyond the tour guides and sunny brochure photos.

Nadine

Overall, I like Georgetown University. There is more diversity within students than in other colleges that I have been in. What I also like about Georgetown University is that there are many opportunities for students, inside and outside the classroom.

Catherine

Despite the amount of money Georgetown has, the facilities are a little dated and often are not up to a good standard. The food is also decent. However, it's the academics and student life that is really attractive about the university. That's what has drawn me to the school and kept me there.