Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Grand Rapids Community College

Jonathan

Being content with my current life, I would bypass the standard 'study hard, get good grades' advice, and tell myself to embrace my passions. I was a great musician in high school--I would tell my past self to throw myself into that, to block out popularity, to experiment with my interests, to find myself while I still could. I would say that AP classes weren't all that important, that I had nothing to prove anybody. Most importantly, I would tell myself to 'trim the fat' so to speak, to hone the ability to sit down at a table or desk and work on something I'm passionate about, and embrace it wholeheartedly.

One should not determine a school's qualities by stating who SHOULDN'T attend. Anybody who attends any college has at least a kernel of ambition within themselves. Anybody without this morsel of potential shouldn't attend any college, let alone Grand Rapids Community College. The quality of education, the standards of teaching and culture are as great here as any other school you're liable to find, with the great surroundings of downtown Grand Rapids.

Stacy

I attend Kendal College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids Mi. It wasnt listed on your list. GRCC is very close to Kendall. I love my school, the environment is wonderful. The professors are amazing and so layed back. Ive learned so much more than i ever imaged to in only 1 year. I love Kendall and recommend it for any art student.

Kendall is most known for is Art programs. Its an amazing art school filled with a wide variety of majorts to choose from.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not be afraid of the big college world. Yes its hard work and you will struggle at times. But its not all that bad. I would tell myself that everything will be ok. I would also tell myself to keep following my dreams and to never give up hope. You can do anything you set your mind to, big or small. Never let somebody tell you that you cant do something. Because you can! I would also tell myself that during the transition into college to talk to anyone. You are going to school with all new faces and that can be very scary. But just talk to your fellow classmates. They are in the same postition as you. Relax.

Bruce

It seems so much better than the structured high school process. I like college freedom and hopefully in the future I will be dealing with more educated/talented instructors. So far the learning is fun, informative. The hours are what I want them to be and I hope to build from my education the skills that I will need to help me make a nice comfortable living in the future. I hope I will be able to contribute to the future technologies that will assist in our daily lives.

Chantal

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience so far. I have learned how to become indepent in a way that now I know I can rely on myself to get things done. I have also gained so much confidence in myself that I didn't even know I could have before I started college. I'm not afraid to try new things now, and I can make friends a lot easier then I use to. I know this experience will last me a long time, and I am grateful for it. I is very valuable to attend college, not only for the education factor but also for the social factor. I am very excited to learn all the new things I have so far in college, and I can't wait to graduate and then continue on to get my masters and become a successful teacher.

Andrew

GRCC is actually merged with a university called Ferris State University, making it cheaper and more affordable for students to achieve a degree from a university. GRCC is also a completely tobacco free college, so they are not only helping the environment but they are helping the students as well. Overall, it is a fairly nice school especially for the affordable cost of attending their!

The simple answer would be to say that I am only getting a higher education to put me above others in our society, but it is truely more than that. During my freshman year at CMU I was really able to figure out who I am as a person since I was exposed to completely new people. I went to CMU without any friends from my hometown and landed in unfamiliar territory. I was able to find out my true personality and figure out who I am as a student. Students should also join organization, clubs, and sports because it really helped me get to know people. I would have stayed at CMU, but I needed to save on cash. GRCC has been great as well, I've met many nice people and its a nice small campus. It just isn't quite the same without the dorm experience especially since I am, once again, living at home. Overall I would say, if you have the money to go to a university then I would say you will get a ton more out of it than at GRCC. Otherwise get the requirements done and then go to a university.

In the 2009 year I attended CMU and in this year I am attending GRCC. I am going here to get my general education requirements completed. I think a community college is the best way to save money and get the gen. eds out of the way. On the other hand, I also believe it is very important for a student to receive that first year experience of college life because it allows young adults to find out who they really are when they are out of the nest so to speak.

Joshua

The class mates I attended school with were people who shared the same ambition I did while attending school. My class mates were encouraging and competitive academically. My class mates pushed me to become a better student but also challenged me to become more involved in classroom discussions. Many of my classmates thought outside the box which helped push me to be more open minded to other ideas.

College experiences help mold us into the people we are today. I attended school very unsure of who I was and also who I wanted to become in the professional world. Going into my senior year of college I had chosen to become a social worker. I was playing soccer, working, and had a full class load, on top of an internship with Wedgwood Christian Services. I interned with the Summit Program. The focus of the program was Substance Abuse and Co-occurring disorders. During my internship my life began to change in that I knew I wanted to work with high risk teens. I began focusing on learning as much as I could and take in every experience my internship had to offer. I know for a fact today that I would not be the person I am if I had not had the experience and opportunity for this internship. My college experience helped me professionally as well as academically. I strive to help others take full advantage of this experience and push for high risk teens to not let their circumstances determine their futures, but encourage them to take full advantage of the opportunities given to them.

Athletics are what my school is known for mostly. But I would have to say interactions with the professors and class room discussions. I tell my friends about the academics and the opportunities they can get from building solid relationships with peers and the professors.

Charmica

Helpful understanding kind concerned & patience

Helpful understanding kind concerned & patience

I have received alot from my college experience being that I am the fist in my generation to attend college, being an older adult andthe youngest lady in my family and wanting too go back to school to further my education to obtain financial stability in a sercure career field to be able to live and enjoy life comfortably for myself and children. my colege experience was a struggle for me becauseI had been out of school for many years prior to me attending college however my experience with very much so an accomplishment being able to show and tell my children that your education is and should be your number one priority in life because with out you won't be able to get very far in life. learning how to use time management, business Etiquette, persoanl financehow to perpare for a interview, team initiative etc. My experience has been vey valuable because I have learned & use from college as well as for my up bringings everyday in my life and will continue to use them everyday of my life in a business setting(career filed) and persoanl aspects of my life.

just how I want to succeed and pursue my eduacation to obtain financial stability for myself and children.

Tabitha

My school is constantly changing, it is a great educational environment with friendly people, and some outstanding professors...

My first piece of advice would be to take a variety of classes, no matter if I had known my major or not. Everyone needs to be well-rounded individuals, and taking a few out-of-the-box classes would not hurt. Secondly, I would definitely take a few classes on my own, without friends that you know too well, so that you get your own sense of independency. When you're on your own, you are your own person, with no expectancies of any kind, and you can be and do how ever you feel. Finally, I would tell myself to try to stay happy, no matter how high the stress levels may be. This is a new chapter in life and all you can do is try your best, live with no regrets, and just think that no matter how bad a situation may be, it could always be worse. It could always be worse.

Chris

GRCC has a lot to offer, valuable professors and equipment, but the work ethic of a lot of the student body is lacking, and so there is a divided air about the place.

Chris, focus first on school, and second on social life. There is no harder thing to build than a strong and worth while work ethic, and nothing more valuable in the long run. Work hard at working hard. Make sure you explore. There are so many things available in so many places. Even if they weren't what you were expecting, they may have something to offer. Try to form relationships with your professors. Their friendships will not only help them open up to you, but will also help you open up to them, and make the learning experience go that much smoother. Also, down the road they may be delighted to hear from you and offer futher assistance, if needed, as a favor rather than as an assignment. A marvelous thing to have is a brilliant friend. (Then, so I knew I was serious, I'd give myself a nice cold bottle of Yoohoo chocolate drink, because I know I'd like it.)

There is a huge variety of classes, many of which are specialized and renowned for their quality. Also, they are rather affordable.

Yusef

Knowing what I know about college life today, I would have a lot to say to my high school senior self. First of all I would tell myself that there is a really big load of opportunity, help, and diversity. In high school, i was not as fond of clubs, groups, and programs that would really expand my knowledge and understanding of myself even more, eventhough I did have great grades

Grand Rapids Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.