Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Grand Rapids Community College

Andrew

GRCC is actually merged with a university called Ferris State University, making it cheaper and more affordable for students to achieve a degree from a university. GRCC is also a completely tobacco free college, so they are not only helping the environment but they are helping the students as well. Overall, it is a fairly nice school especially for the affordable cost of attending their!

The simple answer would be to say that I am only getting a higher education to put me above others in our society, but it is truely more than that. During my freshman year at CMU I was really able to figure out who I am as a person since I was exposed to completely new people. I went to CMU without any friends from my hometown and landed in unfamiliar territory. I was able to find out my true personality and figure out who I am as a student. Students should also join organization, clubs, and sports because it really helped me get to know people. I would have stayed at CMU, but I needed to save on cash. GRCC has been great as well, I've met many nice people and its a nice small campus. It just isn't quite the same without the dorm experience especially since I am, once again, living at home. Overall I would say, if you have the money to go to a university then I would say you will get a ton more out of it than at GRCC. Otherwise get the requirements done and then go to a university.

In the 2009 year I attended CMU and in this year I am attending GRCC. I am going here to get my general education requirements completed. I think a community college is the best way to save money and get the gen. eds out of the way. On the other hand, I also believe it is very important for a student to receive that first year experience of college life because it allows young adults to find out who they really are when they are out of the nest so to speak.

Joshua

The class mates I attended school with were people who shared the same ambition I did while attending school. My class mates were encouraging and competitive academically. My class mates pushed me to become a better student but also challenged me to become more involved in classroom discussions. Many of my classmates thought outside the box which helped push me to be more open minded to other ideas.

College experiences help mold us into the people we are today. I attended school very unsure of who I was and also who I wanted to become in the professional world. Going into my senior year of college I had chosen to become a social worker. I was playing soccer, working, and had a full class load, on top of an internship with Wedgwood Christian Services. I interned with the Summit Program. The focus of the program was Substance Abuse and Co-occurring disorders. During my internship my life began to change in that I knew I wanted to work with high risk teens. I began focusing on learning as much as I could and take in every experience my internship had to offer. I know for a fact today that I would not be the person I am if I had not had the experience and opportunity for this internship. My college experience helped me professionally as well as academically. I strive to help others take full advantage of this experience and push for high risk teens to not let their circumstances determine their futures, but encourage them to take full advantage of the opportunities given to them.

Athletics are what my school is known for mostly. But I would have to say interactions with the professors and class room discussions. I tell my friends about the academics and the opportunities they can get from building solid relationships with peers and the professors.

Charmica

Helpful understanding kind concerned & patience

Helpful understanding kind concerned & patience

I have received alot from my college experience being that I am the fist in my generation to attend college, being an older adult andthe youngest lady in my family and wanting too go back to school to further my education to obtain financial stability in a sercure career field to be able to live and enjoy life comfortably for myself and children. my colege experience was a struggle for me becauseI had been out of school for many years prior to me attending college however my experience with very much so an accomplishment being able to show and tell my children that your education is and should be your number one priority in life because with out you won't be able to get very far in life. learning how to use time management, business Etiquette, persoanl financehow to perpare for a interview, team initiative etc. My experience has been vey valuable because I have learned & use from college as well as for my up bringings everyday in my life and will continue to use them everyday of my life in a business setting(career filed) and persoanl aspects of my life.

just how I want to succeed and pursue my eduacation to obtain financial stability for myself and children.

Tabitha

My school is constantly changing, it is a great educational environment with friendly people, and some outstanding professors...

My first piece of advice would be to take a variety of classes, no matter if I had known my major or not. Everyone needs to be well-rounded individuals, and taking a few out-of-the-box classes would not hurt. Secondly, I would definitely take a few classes on my own, without friends that you know too well, so that you get your own sense of independency. When you're on your own, you are your own person, with no expectancies of any kind, and you can be and do how ever you feel. Finally, I would tell myself to try to stay happy, no matter how high the stress levels may be. This is a new chapter in life and all you can do is try your best, live with no regrets, and just think that no matter how bad a situation may be, it could always be worse. It could always be worse.

Chris

GRCC has a lot to offer, valuable professors and equipment, but the work ethic of a lot of the student body is lacking, and so there is a divided air about the place.

Chris, focus first on school, and second on social life. There is no harder thing to build than a strong and worth while work ethic, and nothing more valuable in the long run. Work hard at working hard. Make sure you explore. There are so many things available in so many places. Even if they weren't what you were expecting, they may have something to offer. Try to form relationships with your professors. Their friendships will not only help them open up to you, but will also help you open up to them, and make the learning experience go that much smoother. Also, down the road they may be delighted to hear from you and offer futher assistance, if needed, as a favor rather than as an assignment. A marvelous thing to have is a brilliant friend. (Then, so I knew I was serious, I'd give myself a nice cold bottle of Yoohoo chocolate drink, because I know I'd like it.)

There is a huge variety of classes, many of which are specialized and renowned for their quality. Also, they are rather affordable.

Yusef

Knowing what I know about college life today, I would have a lot to say to my high school senior self. First of all I would tell myself that there is a really big load of opportunity, help, and diversity. In high school, i was not as fond of clubs, groups, and programs that would really expand my knowledge and understanding of myself even more, eventhough I did have great grades

Bessie

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice I would give myself would be to take college seriously and attend yearly, save for college instead of getting student loans, and be prepared and open minded for anything.

I wish I had known how to fill out a fafsa correctly and that there were resources available to help me with those kinds of things. If I had known this I could have finished my degree already. Since I didn't know, I learned the hard way and had to drop out of school for a couple semesters because I filled the fafsa out wrong and was denied money.

What I consider to be the worst thing about my school is the number of enrolled students that come for the wrong reasons. I think this is the worst thing because a lot of people attend school for the money instead of the learning experience. I love learning and coming to schoool to meet new people. I struggled to get money for school and I feel like the money that is given to those students should come to me since I am willing to work hard for it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make sure that I encouraged myself to get to know more people in my community and even outside of my community. When I got to college I was, in a sense, overwhelmed with all the different types of people I was around and interacting with , which was really hard at times. I struggled my first semester when trying to connect with people, because I was only used to my own group of friends and family. I feel like I missed out a lot when it came to getting to know people, being involved in college clubs and rallies, and even in classroom discussions because I was afraid to get out of my comfort zone. I know now that if I had worked harder to be involved in my community and outside of my community I would have felt more comfortable my first semester in being open to everything and everyone around me.

The best thing about Grand Rapids Community College is the all the opportunities that are available for me to experience. Each day there are different clubs that are meeting, informational lectures, career counseling, and hundreds of classes that can relate to every type of major, minor, or student's curiousty. It's amazing that when trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life I can make sure I'm getting all the necessary experiences needed in order to make sure I'm making the right choice.

The worst thing about Grand Rapids Community College, which is also one of the best things, is the wide variety of people of all ages. Typically, people think college students are right out of high school, however with community colleges older people, who may or may not have been out of high school for a decade or so, have the opportunity to further their education and careers. It's great being able to get to know different types of people, but it's hard when trying to connect with people who have already started their careers, families, and such.

James

I would tell myself that going to a vocational school for my Airframe and Powerplant certification would be a waste of time. It would be a much greater benefit to apply for more scholarships and attend Grand Valley State University or Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida. If I could go back in time and tell myself all of this, I believe that my life would be significantly better off. A major benefit of hind sight is that I get to experience things one way, while thinking about how life would be different had I decided to go another route. Overall, I think that I have learned very valuable life lessons with the route I have taken. I know that I would not be where I am today had I been informed via hind sight of my choices and results since I graduated high school. I would finish off telling my high school senior self that, while I may get further ahead in life by not going to a vocational school, I will miss out on great friendships, a decent job, and some sense of stability.

I wish I had known just how easy it would be. If I had known just how easy GRCC would be, I would have worked harder at scholarships so that I could attend Grand Valley State University.

It is not challenging enough. I currently have a 4.0. I would really like to be challenged more, I work a full-time job, and I am a full-time student, and I am still able to maintain plenty of free-time.

To put my ALL into my education, and to take school seriously. Knowledge is King.

Anyone that has the drive and motivation to learn more.

I tell all my friends that Grand Rapids Community College is one of the best in the state.

Grand Rapids Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.