Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Grand Rapids Community College

Bessie

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice I would give myself would be to take college seriously and attend yearly, save for college instead of getting student loans, and be prepared and open minded for anything.

I wish I had known how to fill out a fafsa correctly and that there were resources available to help me with those kinds of things. If I had known this I could have finished my degree already. Since I didn't know, I learned the hard way and had to drop out of school for a couple semesters because I filled the fafsa out wrong and was denied money.

What I consider to be the worst thing about my school is the number of enrolled students that come for the wrong reasons. I think this is the worst thing because a lot of people attend school for the money instead of the learning experience. I love learning and coming to schoool to meet new people. I struggled to get money for school and I feel like the money that is given to those students should come to me since I am willing to work hard for it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make sure that I encouraged myself to get to know more people in my community and even outside of my community. When I got to college I was, in a sense, overwhelmed with all the different types of people I was around and interacting with , which was really hard at times. I struggled my first semester when trying to connect with people, because I was only used to my own group of friends and family. I feel like I missed out a lot when it came to getting to know people, being involved in college clubs and rallies, and even in classroom discussions because I was afraid to get out of my comfort zone. I know now that if I had worked harder to be involved in my community and outside of my community I would have felt more comfortable my first semester in being open to everything and everyone around me.

The best thing about Grand Rapids Community College is the all the opportunities that are available for me to experience. Each day there are different clubs that are meeting, informational lectures, career counseling, and hundreds of classes that can relate to every type of major, minor, or student's curiousty. It's amazing that when trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life I can make sure I'm getting all the necessary experiences needed in order to make sure I'm making the right choice.

The worst thing about Grand Rapids Community College, which is also one of the best things, is the wide variety of people of all ages. Typically, people think college students are right out of high school, however with community colleges older people, who may or may not have been out of high school for a decade or so, have the opportunity to further their education and careers. It's great being able to get to know different types of people, but it's hard when trying to connect with people who have already started their careers, families, and such.

James

I would tell myself that going to a vocational school for my Airframe and Powerplant certification would be a waste of time. It would be a much greater benefit to apply for more scholarships and attend Grand Valley State University or Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida. If I could go back in time and tell myself all of this, I believe that my life would be significantly better off. A major benefit of hind sight is that I get to experience things one way, while thinking about how life would be different had I decided to go another route. Overall, I think that I have learned very valuable life lessons with the route I have taken. I know that I would not be where I am today had I been informed via hind sight of my choices and results since I graduated high school. I would finish off telling my high school senior self that, while I may get further ahead in life by not going to a vocational school, I will miss out on great friendships, a decent job, and some sense of stability.

I wish I had known just how easy it would be. If I had known just how easy GRCC would be, I would have worked harder at scholarships so that I could attend Grand Valley State University.

It is not challenging enough. I currently have a 4.0. I would really like to be challenged more, I work a full-time job, and I am a full-time student, and I am still able to maintain plenty of free-time.

To put my ALL into my education, and to take school seriously. Knowledge is King.

Anyone that has the drive and motivation to learn more.

I tell all my friends that Grand Rapids Community College is one of the best in the state.

oh my darling, college seems scary now, but truly you will love it! yes there will be new friends you have to make, but you will get though, classes are difficult but make sure you dont party too much, and please dont drink. thats what screw some of my other friends over. Take a deep breath and dive in it will be all good

the parking has to be the worst because the school its in the city

anyone who is ready and willing to learn. this school is meant for the student who isnt quite sure what they are doing for college major. My suggestion is that you get your general education out of the way so that you can focus on your intended career choices later. Not to mention you get the same amount of education that costs less than a big private school or university. This would make your parents happier.

Kaitlyn

I went into college with an open mind and a mature outlook. I didn't absorb much of the "high school" personality that many girls that age do. Going back in time and talking to myself during that age, I'm not sure that advice would be the right word. If anything, it would be a shoulder to lean on and a reminder that soon enough I would be with people of my trade. I would be with people who wanted me around and wanted my opinion. High school didn't settle well in my stomach, and I was ready for the next step; anything would have been better. The transition was easy and it felt so right. The advice that I needed 3 years ago was to just keep my chin up. Keep looking forward and that there truly are better things to come. Better things beyond what can been seen now. And best of all, better things will happen than could ever be imagined.

(I actually attend Kendall College of Art and Design, but it was not an option in the drop down box.) I came to college worrying more about how nervous I was, rather than understand the opportunities that were right under my nose and the beauty of going to school for what I have always dreamed of. I wish that I didn't waste so much time being shy and introverted during the first semester. After I got over that, I started to shine and really start walking towards my dreams.

Since Kendall College is an art and design school, the people who should attend the school is a narrow list. Whether you are a furniture designer, an animator, or a fine artist, then Kendall is right for you. Those who attend the school are like a family, we are always pushing and helping eachother to do our best. If you don't think that you fit in anywhere, then this is the school for you. If you think that you're clothes are weird, just wait until you meet some of us art kids!

Nanette

Having widely varying backgrounds we experience a unique sameness; striving for success in our education.

Dear Nanette, I'm writing to you from my place in time 2010. May you delight in your own wisdom 25 years early. "And now these three things remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Cor. 13 1. Have faith in yourself, certainly in God, but also in people. Continue to believe that all people are basically good. Trust them, commune with them, show them grace and mercy just as you are shown. 2. Continue to hope in a future where good continues to triumph over evil. Be an active participant in the battle. 3. Love all others. Love those who let you down, who live with different sets of values, who don't love you. Hold tight to what you know is right; stand for the weak, give voice for the oppressed. Love your creator, recognize Her and respond. And love yourself, always freely accepting the grace and forgiveness given you. You won't do this perfectly. That's alright. Perfection is never required, it is a burden you've chosen to carry. Drop it immediately. Don't let your momentum wane. Move forward and enjoy the run.

My decision to re-enter college came after much research. I know my eyes were wide open and I haven't met any surprises along the way. I know that the time spent doing the legwork has helped me to free up time for my studies now that classes have started.

Jonathon

I would tell myself to take a deep breath. Senior year is perhaps one of the most hectic and nerve wracking times of my life, and I'm sure the same can be said for many other Seniors. While Senior year is filled with plenty of fun and excitement, there's also so much pressure I'm surpised so many students make it out alive. Not only must seniors focus on their classes and maintaining their GPA, there's also extracuriculars such as Honor Society, sports, band, and not to mention AP classes along with AP tests at the end of the year. If this pressure isn't enough, then the college application process certainly is. I remember many long nights trying to perfect college application essays, spending hour after hour filling out applications, and trying to determine which college I want to attend, as well as what I want to major in. Senior year is filled with difficult decisions, and can't be taken lightly, but one thing that I didn't do enough of was take a deep breath, and relax. Senior year can be unbearable, unless it's taken step by step, one day at a time.

The best thing about GRCC has to be the value. Many students go to a community college because of their uncertainty about the future. I went to GRCC because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. As it turns out everything worked out great! I was able to take plenty of prerequisite classes for my now decided major for a fraction of the price than at a university. At GRCC a student can afford to spend another year deciding on a major, or taking prerequisites, without depleting the pocketbook.

I wish I had known more about the scholarships offered at Grand Rapids Community College. Going in I was really unprepared as far as taking advantage of oppurtunities to earn more money. Cost is one of prospective students largest concerns going in to college, and it definitly pays to know what kind of scholarships are out there and available. It's worth the time it takes to go to different websites offering scholarship money, and to check out what kind of scholarships the college is offering as well.

Makisha

I would tell myself to trust the advice of those with more life experience than myself at that point. This is because, although I was accepted into what is considered a prestigious Art program at Western Michigan University, I ended up wasting my time and money. All I had in mind was to escape my hometown and to be on my own. I had no idea how complicated college can turn out to be, and I also had no idea how much it would cost me in the long run. I ended up changing my major to several different things, and was still confused until about a year ago. I ended up being over $20,000.00 in debt from loans that I could have prevented by going to a community college in the first place. I came so close to joining the military in order to help pay for my education, but in the end, I realized that it was not for me. There are so many trials I could have avoided if I had stopped to think about the details. Hindsight is always 20/20 and tough to accept, but I intend it to make me wiser.

I wish that I had not tried so quickly to grow up and escape my home town. I had applied to Western Michigan University's college, and I was accepted into their Art School. It is difficult to get into, so I was very excited, but once I began taking classes, I hated it. I spent the next few years wasting money and time in college, when I should have trusted my elders and gone to community college in the first place. I laugh now, but now I am incredibly in debt, and working full time while in college.

I brag that it is in one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited. I have travelled, but I love my school because it is in a city on the river. At night it is gorgeous white lit up, and the day time is nothing less than great as well. The city is conservative, yet open-minded, and I feel safe walking from my home in Heritage Hill to school, and also to downtown. Downtown is always exciting, and everything is a short drive away, including Lake Michigan. You cannot go wrong living in Grand Rapids.

Leslie

My classmates are a very diverse group of people. I thought upon first returning to college that I would be an "outsider" as I am near 40years old. But that is just not the case. There are many people of all ages, of all ethnicities, and all pursuing an education that will help them to have a better life, just like what I am doing. I do not stand out in the crowd, and actually I fit right in and have come to have many friends (of younger and older ages ) that I will have the rest of my life.

Wow, what an opportunity you have in front of you, Congratulations! There are so many choices you have to make that really will affect the rest of your life, and the time to be serious about those decisions is now. If you are not ready or willing to make those decisions, no problem, but be honest with yourself, family, and peers. There is no sense wasting the time and money of so many people involved just because you feel pressured to make decisions. I went to college, a four-year university, many years ago. I had too much fun, made lots of friends, but didn't understand the full opportunity I had before me. I was a pre-med student that dropped out of college. I decided stay in the medical field. Seventeen years later, here I am back and in full pursuit of a medical degree! I stayed in the medical field because it was and remains my passion. You have to find out for yourself what your passion is...don't pursue a degree just because the pay once done is high, you will regret it. Take the time to find your passion, and THEN GO FOR IT!

The cost per credit hour of GRCC is very appealing to me as a single mother of two daughters. I have tried to balance my money coming in with that going out, ans so far it is working, thank you to the low credit hour fee at GRCC. I have also found that the professors at GRCC are genuinely interested in helping the students succeed. Because the class sizes are small, I feel very much a part of the class, and the professors always offer their time to help outside of class or for whatever need the student has.

Grand Rapids Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.