El Cajon, CA
Grossmont College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Grossmont College

Ashley, pay attnetion in your algebra II class. It will save you a lot of hard work and money later. If you want to be a doctor or a lawyer someday, you will need to take advanced math classes and the more you can test out of the quicker you will get through them. Also, please use this time to network. You never know who you could meet at school. Meet everyone you can. Talk to everyone. You are not too cool and remember that. Finally debt, credit card debt, car debt, etc, try as hard as you can to stay out of debt. Your future could depend on it. The more you owe, the more you are obliged to work and not complete school. Debt could keep you from getting the job you want. It can keep you in the wrong job for too long and can ruin your future. It's ok to stay at Mom's house if it will save you some dough. Everone else in school is, they just aren't telling you. Take care, be safe.

I wish I would have known the power of keeping up on my algebra principles. There are so many classes that require math pre-requesites and if you let your math skills slide, re-entry is tough. Luckily, I did not do too poorly on the entrance exams, but if you are taking a major that requires a lot of math, it sure makes life easier when you can test out of 3 or 4 basic classes.

Sometimes, there is very little support for re-entry students. Be a self starter, get a map, go to class early so you don't get lost. No one is going to babysit you and make sure you attend your counseling session, show you how to check out a book or walk you through your assessment exams. There are a lot of classes that are not offered during the night, so if you have a full time job, be prepared to go to school a bit longer.

Manuel

Grossmont College is best known for it's unique tight knit community. Not only is it diverse, but it offers plenty of programs to help the community in returning to education. From recent highschool graduate's to former parents, Grossmont is the school for you. Small, quaint, available and cute - Grossmont College is the school for me.

In a cloudy dream one restlest night, I imagine an older me walking towards me. With a bright light surrounding me, I am unsure of this illusion. With countless sleepless nights, I simply turn and continue this awkward sight. It's me. From the future. But why? Going to College in the same city one may have grown up in, is not a bad choice. You get the opportunity to stay at home, or live on campus with the knowledge that home is just a quick drive away. Which is what I did, which now thinking I would have preferred not too. If I would have lived in the on campus dorms, I feel as if my life would have taken a different path. I would have met more people and I also think I would have stayed at that school. With academic shame, I was eventually disqualified - only to return under completely different conditions. With the economy in it's recession, it has proved even more difficult as foreseen. Time will only tell. Whatever school I do decide to go to, I will not give up. Not i. Not me. Not ever.

rebecca

As i look at my life now, i would travel back in time and tell myself how important education really is. On top of that i would really explain how important it is to get homework, or work in general done because not only does it boost yourt grade inthat specific class but it paves the way for learning new things and excelling you in the future. In other words take the time to do work instead of procrastinating just to get by. I would tell myself to prepare for the unexpected both positivley and negativley, and that anything that happens in life has a purpose and will make me stronger in the end. Also no matter what happens family and friends are the most important people in your life and you need to learnt o appreicate them for what they have done for you and what they are going to do for you. Last i would tell myself to surround myself with friends who make my life positive, because no matter what you think negative friends turn into negative cituations and who you spend time with in life determines the type of person you can turn out to be.

Kelly

Grossmont College has an amazing nursing program. Also they do offer a wide array of classes if you are undecided and want to search around.

The best advice I could give myself would be to go away to college. I think by being in a college envoirment all day, it would have helped me focus and do a lot better the first time around. I also would take advantage of all the time and flexibility I had. Now going back to school with two small kids at home is a lot harder but it will definitly be worth it in the end. Now I can be a positive example to my kids that you can always finish what you start.

All the budget cuts are ridiculous. It is impossible to get to see a counceler because they are so understaffed.

Katrina

This school is unique because of the relationship it has with it's sister college, Cuyamaca College. You can attend both schools in order to get your requirement for transfer or asscociates completed. I decided on these schools after listening to my sister, who attended both schools. I was also drawn t their TAG programs and detailed information about transferring to a 4-year university after 2 years at Grossmont.

The first thing I would tell my high school self, is to be prepared and to get as much information as I can. When I was a senior, I had no idea where to start when it came to getting ready for college. I barely had time to research before graduation came up. I would also tell myself to really take some time to think about what careers interest me. I didn't take a lot of time to think about my major, and, though it was the right choice for me, I was nervous that I had made the wrong decision for a while. You should feel completely confident in your choice of major. Last but not least, I would tell my self to fully experience college in all it's glory, and i'm not just talking about the parties and the social events. I was so fascinated by how different learning in college was compared to high school. You learn so much more in a much less censored and more realistic setting. You can really apply your knowledge to real-life situations. Putting forth the utmost effort is so much more rewarding that you would expect.

I love the atmosphere. I love that there is such a diverse group of people. There are students fresh out of high school, as well as students well into various careers. It really allows a student to get the full insight into what they're learning. It allows students to see how to apply the things they're learning at different stages of their lives. You get to see things from so many perspectives that it really allows for a fully rounded education. What you end up leaving with is worth far more than what you paid for it.

Andrew

"Keep doing what you are doing. You are already involved in several campus clubs, teams, and activities. Your grades are on top, but your social life may be affecting what you want to achieve. Understand that friendships are not necessarily based on how much time you spend together, but how much mutual understanding there is between you and them. With that said, do not sacrifice your goals and aspirations for a one-time deal of fun. You will grow older and realize that your reputation is no longer a field of play, rather your character. It is important to know who you were to understand who you are. From there you will be able to see who you will become. Stay hungry for knowledge, but stay humble."

Grossmont College lacks the opportunity for campus involvement. Perhaps the reason it is because it is a commuter and two-year college. Nonetheless, the school gets boring if you are not entirely focused on your studies.

Grossmont College is a school for a purpose driven student. The environment is serene and highly academic which provides several opportunities for a student to succeed at this school. Because of the small class sizes, the course work caters to the student's individual progress.

jamie

Never give up or lose faith in yourself to succeed. I know how difficult it can get to find time to study or pay for college books. As a high school senior, I was also a young mother and I often thought it would be easier to give up on school. I would tell myself to keep looking forward, do not procrastinate and to take time for myself, friends and family. School is more enjoyable when you are not overworked and stressed with homework, projects and tests.

Everyone should attend this school!

The most frustrating thing about attending Grossmont College is navigating around the huge campus! There arent many maps of the campus for students to find classrooms which may be hidden.

amanda

Very laid back, open minded, and unaware of real issues.

Very laid back, open minded, and unaware of real issues.

You know I actually ask myself that question all the time since whatever answer I come up with is what I tell my 5 children. I would tell myself that even though everybody in my life made me feel like I was stupid and wasn't "college material" that I should have bigger expectations of myself. That I should have at least given college a try and risked failing or not completing, rather than avoiding it all together. College is not just about learning more stuff from books. It is about learning who you are, and it is amazing the things you don't know about yourself. The "normal college" age 18-21 is so important for one to experience, and I as a 29 yr old divorcee mom am just entering that "developmental" stage. I am growing as an adult in ways I should have back then. And in reality I would have if I had convinced myself I could be something more, and encouraged myself to take that step towards a different kind of growth.

I feel the most frustrating thing is there are not enough culinary arts classes available. They are aware of the popularity but they don't do anything about it so its hard to complete the requierments for the degree.

Nisa

What is unique about Grossmont College compared to other schools, such as a 4-year university, is that it is affordable. Also, I am able to get the same education at Grossmont College without the expensive cost. Grossmont College allows me to complete two years of education that I would get at a 4-year university and allow me to transfer to a 4-year university to finish my last two years of schooling. I save over 50% in tuition cost compared to going to a 4-year university right after high school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that the sky is the limit and to never give up. I would tell myself that there is a solution to every situation; you just have to go out in the world and find it. I would tell myself to continue talking to more people, such as my teachers, counselors, and high school staff until I was certain I had my questions completely answered. Last, but not least, I would tell myself to grow up into a young woman that instant. To start handling my responsibilites as a sister and student as a mature young adult. Also, to open my eyes and mind to realize that from this point on, I am on my own and no one holds my future but myself. That I am responsible from this point on for what career I will obtain in the future.

I believe the kind of person that should not attend this school, are individuals who do not apply themselves to strive for the best. There are not enough teachers, classrooms, or seats available to people who do not want to be there and learn. Too many students who want to move forward in their lives and careers are denied the opportunity; due to the people who do not take school seriously. Therefore, the people who do not try at school, should not attend this school.

Grossmont College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.