Hill College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Hill College

Tara

They're trying to make this a better place but it's hard when no one cares except a few. Plus they could use with some extra funding.

Paolo

It's a pretty cheap school, but it's not really great. It's like going to the dollar store: you don't spend a lot of money but you're getting low quality stuff. Tuition is pretty low but the school overall is not that great. If you're just trying to get your basics in two years, you might want to consider attending this school.

Sara

Hill college is a simple community college with many locations. I go to the Burleson location and I have visited the Cleburne location. It's decent and it gets the job done. I enjoy the teachers and some of the experiences I've had. The students that go there are nice and if you're not interested in a crowd it's the perfect school for you with small campuses and small classes. If you take math at the Burleson location do not take Laster! Another things that's not that great is they go through advisors faster than they go through semesters, which makes it difficult to get comfortable telling someone your struggles and what you need help with. I had an issue with trying to take online courses they offered because they're having an issue finding people to take in person classes. My biggest issue with Hill is the fact that none of my teachers email me back. I had to have surgery and was out of school for a month and 1 out of 5 of my teachers and replied.

sara

It's a decent community college with a lot of super duper easy classes. The advisors aren't always incredibly helpful, but they get the job done. If you're interested in the Burleson Opportunity fund scholarship then you should know it has 16 hours of community service you are required to do as well as many other rules you have to keep including the fact that you can't drop a class more than once a year without losing the scholarship.

Miranda

It was an okay school. Some teachers were amazing while others couldn't care less. I really would have enjoyed if our teachers actually taught a little more other than us having to look up things and research on our own. It was like we were paying the school just to teach ourselves. It was very tiring and pretty hard on some of my fellow class mates. It could have been way better if you ask me.

Hill College has been a positive experience . It is inexpensive and provides a strong sense of community. The professors are legitimately invested in their students and will provide a large amount of help to contribute to their success. The classes are smaller than that of my high school, so it is easy to get to know your professors in an intimate space, even in online classes. There are quite a few on campus groups to make you feel at home and entertained.

Though attending the Burleson branch does not offer as much of a wide array of activities and true immersion into the college life as the main campus might, I find myself enjoying Hill College as a first-year attendee. The community college life offers a decent bridge in between the shift from the undeniable gap in work ethic from high school to college: it has all the expectations of a four-year university, but the personable atmosphere and ease of access to professors outside the classroom makes for a much easier experience than the horror stories shared throughout high school by teachers who often reminisce of their campus life. Hill College's academics somewhat reflect the dramatic price difference between community and four-year -- sometimes professors are late (30-40 minutes, even) or are too lenient with assignments, and often I have found that they fall behind in their class syllabus and either do not finish the material or attempt to pile it on in a desperate attempt to catch up. The assignments that are late are eligible to follow a high school-esque grading policy per each day it is late. The classes are smaller and more manageable to handle, creating a less distracting and more focused working environment than might a class of 300+ attendees. The student life is more erratic than most, as the Burleson campus is not outfitted with dorms nor the capacity to hold a mass amount of people, yet the friendships I have made are tightly knit and we have developed fantastic studying groups because of our small circles. Overall, despite the odd faults, Hill College is a more than adequate investment to start one's road to higher learning.

Leslie

I have enjoyed my time at Hill. I have done online and face-to-face. I prefer online. Same information and assignments are given, but I have the ability to do it on my own time. The instructors are mostly good about communication through email and Schoology. I have not had any negative experiences at Hill College. I recommend it to anyone seeking further education for a reasonable cost. I am seeking my Associates degree and have plans to move to Tarleton University afterward.

Luke

Hill College tries to portray itself as being a good school with great academics that truly cares for their students. In actuality, they don't care at all. The academics are sub-par at best and the set-up of the degree programs (at least the Computer Science Program) shows how little they do care. I learned almost nothing while attending this school. Frequently, my teachers would practically hand me an A on an assignment. The head of the Computer Science Department would just give me the answer to any questions I had without an explanation. This kind of behavior runs rampant at this school. There are some good teachers, though. Rachel Breneman, Jason Abbott, Mei-Ying Lin, Gwendolyn Williams, and Mistee Withee are all wonderful teachers who have a passion for what they teach. As for campus life, there is frequent partying. While I never attended, I lived next door to the hosts of parties. They kept a dog on campus as well. All of this was reported to the dean and nothing came of it. Additionally, black mold developed in my room. I walked over and informed both deans of this and gave them specific instructions of what not to do (i.e. don't just scrape it off because that will release the toxins into the air). They did not listen and sent the "maintenance crew" over to scrape it off of our ceiling. This was days after we informed them. This was also after both my roommate and I became sick because of the mold. An apology for the unruly amount of time spent waiting was never issued. Each student is required to purchase a meal plan if they live on campus. For the entire second semester, I did not even step foot in the cafeteria because the food was so bad. Most of the workers/teachers will not even eat the food. In summation, Hill College provides lackluster education coupled with appalling living situations and abhorrent food for a cheap price. Stay away from the campus.