Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Selena

Humboldt State University has a beautiful campus, a friendly disposition, and an outdoorsy and artsy atmosphere, with great academic programs including biology, music, anthropology, art, child development, oceanography, and others.

So far, the most valuable thing I have learned from attending college is how to adapt to new situations. Living on my own, or rather with a roommate, has certainly been a challenge, but a rather refreshing one. Being able to choose all my own classes is fantastic, and I am able to learn much better this way. I am already learning so much in my critical writing class and my music classes. I am learning how to think for myself and am greatly improving my skills. Attending a university is an awesome way for me to specialize in the areas in which I am naturally good.

The most frustrating part of attending HSU is revealed in the nickname - Hills and Stairs University. Having to walk up and down hills and stairs all day is hard work. Apparently, there are more stairs than students. However, it certainly keeps you in shape.

Nancy

My college experience has been amazing i must say. It is quite different than high school but it is definitely worth my time. I have met many people here and it is a great feeling to be studying something that i love. I get to meet new places that i had never visited and it makes me grow as a person. It makes me more independent the fact that i am away from home and it prepares me for my life as an adult. I definitely believe college has been worthwhile because it is fun to learn while knowing that in the long run i will be accomplishing my dreams.

A person who cant live without the sun and hates the rain or the cloudy weather. The weather here is cold, foggy, and rainy, so if a student loves the hot weather i dont recommend them to come here. Also if a student loves big classes this is not the right school, here we have a small student to teacher ratio.

That's hard to say, but the only thing i can come up with is that our football stadium and gym should be a bit bigger i think.

Alexis

Going away to college was the best thing I have ever done. Originally I was from Anaheim, and now I am going to school eleven hours away from home. It has given me independence and made me grow accountable for my own actions, but that is what everyone says. The majority of my friends, like me, chose to go away to college. Many chose to stay at home but some went hours and hours away from there homes. Unlike me though many either quit or ended up going back home to go to the community college that is only an extension of high school. Here I am now in my third year of college and about to get my degree in psychology. I know that without leaving everything at home and moving away I would not be where I am today. These days it is really important to go to college. Without college, I would not be able to support myself let alone a family. Even with a part time job, one can barely make the cost of living in California while attending school. College is an important step in becoming an adult, and making a living for the future.

There isn't much that I really needed to know. But if I had to pick one thing, it would be that the people despite how crazy they may look are nice and very friendly. There is the feeling of love and peace in Humboldt. Rather than being scared to go out and make new friends because of all the new and different people, I should have been open and confident in myself and those around me.

When you look around you see so many different colors, and different looking people. It is true that Humboldt is still stuck somewhere in the 60’s, but then you look deeper into the community and it to the school and find an interesting assortment of people from all around the world. Outgoing people are the best in this kind of environment, especially with all of the people hanging around the school. But it isn’t just those people, anyone looking to step out and find themselves in anew adventure would enjoy life here.

Kathryn

Humboldt is full of characters....In the history department we are always cracking history jokes during lecture (and taking notes of course). We are incredibly devoted to becoming better researchers, better students, better people. There is a lot of laughter here at Humboldt, but there is also the time to be serious. Students are generally serious about their course work and about their major. Most students are also involved in more than one outside activity. Student organizations are everywhere. Students here are proud of their work, in and out of the classroom.

"Only at Humboldt" are words you hear a lot here at Humboldt State University. Here students give trees hand knit sweaters in the winter, here a man walks around campus with a pet goat. Here you see students zippy around the cruddy hilly streets in the pouring rain. Here people always are smiling and discussing all sorts of current events whether they be political, economical, artistic, cultural, athletic, etc. Students at Humboldt are very unique, loving, environmental and opinionated. There is never a dull moment here at Humboldt State University.

Not only have I studied at Humboldt State, but I have also been fortunate enough to study abroad in Berlin at Freie Uni. Both studying in Germany and in Northern California have given me the tools to expand my cultural and educational identity, making me-in short- a more well rounded person. I have also been fortunate enough to be able to compete on the track team at Humboldt. Apart from my studies as a history major, the team, and competing fills my life. Much more than a team, we have become a family; from them, I have learned the values in perseverance, dedication, and the love of sweat. All these experiences I take away from college help me to better understand how I can make my place in the world. Humboldt has been so valuable to attend because I cannot see myself learning the lessons I have learned anywhere else. I fit in, like a jigsaw piece, at Humboldt State University. I have made it my home and my life. It is the place from which I will jump into the world, the only place I could ever jump from.

Nate

My classmates are friendly, resourceful, interactive and full of potential.

My classmates are friendly, resourceful, interactive and full of potential.

My school is best known for it small classes where the teachers know your name.

Humboldt State University (HSU) has provided a positive and challenging learning environment. The professors offer a diverse range of experiences that have been inspirational and rewarding, while using the natural environment as its classroom. Additionally, they have prepared me with a background that is multidisciplined and applicable to any future endeavors that I will endure. In all honesty, I highly recommend HSU as a educational institute to any students that want to a study at a small state university. I also recommend HSU for being in Arcata, Ca. Arcata is a great place to live as it cares about the future of its local community, while being in the heart of the Redwoods. I love you Arcata, California.

Katie

My classmates were very prominent on learning the teacher's information and then giving their own opinions to start discussions on topics in class.

My school is best known for its natural resources and soils programs.

I have realized that If I fail I must try, try again. I started out my college experience as a very confused teenager. Then, as I progressed along my semesters, I became more and more aware of myself and my actions affecting others around me. My classes helped me explain my own behaviors and other humans' behaviors. I had to experience all that I did to make a healthy career decision later. I may have messed up in my own opinion, but I was not able to get to where I am now without struggling through those hard times. I have learned so much more by experiencing college on my own, than I would have if I would have allowed my father to shelter my individualistic growth. Now that I have earned a degree and learned more about myself, my abusive mother, and those people whom I choose to surround myself with, I have gained another chance to excel in the area that I have the greatest passion for: helping others.

Ellen

Passionate about what they do.

Passionate about what they do.

Humboldt it best know for it's wildlife and environmental studies programs as well as it's art programs. We also have an amazingly good softball team here. Everyone also knows Humboldt for it's surroundings. We are surrounded by beach and redwoods.

My college experience has given me a new perspective on my life. I came into college thinking I knew exactly what I wanted, but in the time i have spent here I have thought hard about what I truly wanted to do with my life. My professors have given me ample amounts of support and have always been there for me. I have been able to practice teaching and through that have found the passion in my life. I have always wanted to be able to help people and at first I thought that the only way I could would be by becoming a doctor but by taking many classes I found that my true love lies with photography. Through my exploration and contact with the teachers here I learned that you can help people just as much by giving them an outlet for their emotions, by helping them find a way to express themselves. For some, it will save their lives. By attending college I have found a real passion in my life and have hopefully been able to help spark a passion in others as well .

Ellen

Arizona is a school that cares about it's students and community.

Arizona is a school that cares about it's students and community.

Compared to other schools I thought about going to, Universiy of Arizona has such a spirit and big community about it that even though it's a big school, everyone is connected in some way because of the schools spirit.

Ever since I got to college, it has made me realize that this was the best decision I could have made to set myself up to have a successfull life after I graduate. I want to be able to suppport myself without my parents when I do graduate and I don't think I could have accomplished that without choosing to attend college.

Jerry

MARAJUANA! I don't smoke, I like my brain cells.

MARAJUANA! I don't smoke, I like my brain cells.

My college experience has better prepared me to go on to Graduate school. While at Humboldt State University, I tended to overload my credits in order to challenge myself both academically and personally. Being a single father of a 6 year old and attending University more than full time helped me to become a better organized individual, which I feel had a great deal to do with my being accepted to the University of Southern California's Rossier School of Education. I learned what my strengths are, and what area's I needed improvement in. That in and of itself has been an invaluable resource in helping me to better myself in an honest and objective manner. Having the ability to do this will undoubtedly assist me in my future endeavors.

Way too much drug use, timeliness means nothing thats why people call it Humboldt time. On average everyone is at least 15 minutes late for everything and those are the people who don't smoke pot. It's a poor school in a beautiful setting with no employment outlook and a terrible economy. The only two things keeping the economy afloat are the income from the University and the income from the well known pot growing industry. That is Humboldt county in a nut shell!

Tasha

If I had the option to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it is vitally important that I focus on my own future, and never let go of my dreams because of someone else. The most important thing is to somehow find the time and the energy to put aside all the involvement and excitement of ?being a senior?, and commit to the task of laying the financial foundation for success in college. The biggest regret I?ve ever had is having to drop out of college due to finances. You can never rely on someone else to do your work for you. Growing up is the most difficult thing you will ever do, and learning it now will save your future a lot of heartache and headache. Moving to a new place, making friends, and even the classwork comes secondary to figuring out all the adult ?life? things you have too. Seek guidance in everything you do. Don?t deter from the wisdom of parents or counselors. Find your dreams, find the means, and believe in what you can achieve.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.