Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Chelsea

Humboldt State is an open-minded, active, and social campus.

Humboldt State is an open-minded, active, and social campus.

High school was an interesting time now that I look back on it. I was in high school 4 years ago, and it really feels like a life time. In high school everyone is pretty naive and have skewed and uninformed outlooks on life, therefore there is much to say for going back in time and talking to myself as a senior. First, I would tell myself to not be so afraid of things, because that can really hinder development in the long-run. I would also advise myself to apply to as many internships as possible and really explore what matters to me in life. Another really important thing I would say is to not worry so much about taking AP and honors courses, because in college (especially state colleges) people don't care whether you got and "A" or a "B" in that high school honors or AP course. High School is really just for busy work to get you ready for college. Exploring the world is what gets you ready for life. The last thing I would say is good luck, and don't forget that life is fun!

We have a great surrounding area for hiking and all outdoor activities. Humboldt offers a space to really cultivate your mind, and find what you really want out of life. The teachers here are very insprational.

Please take advantage of scholarships! They are out there for your benefit! And save as much money as you can. Appreciate your parents and family. When you are there on your own, you have no idea how scary and exhillarating it can be. Don't give up on your studies. It is going to be hard in college, but you are able to do anything. And don't worry. Every little thing is going to be all right. College is somewhere where you can finally discover who you are and what you want to do. It is also somewhere where you meet some of your most best friends.

The teachers are definitely one of the best things about Humboldt State. They have valuable experiences that they can use to teach students. Teachers care about your education and try to make the best of what resources are available to them. I know that my social work teachers want to really help me figure out what I want to do after graduation. They make time for the students. in their busy days.

The worst thing is that some people have poor hygiene.

Life doesn't get easier. It only becomes more complicated. Be prepared for joys unlike any you could imagine, and for pains and aches that will tear at your soul. Between the chaos of homework, paying bills, keeping employment and the nuances of life you will lose yourself. Your intellect and schooling will remain constant, always cling to that beacon in the stormy seas of life. And, most of all, take it easy on yourself. The transition to adulthood is strenuous; the responsibilities and possibilities are endless. But remember to stay slow and enjo the experience, and be kind to everyone, including yourself.

The location of Humboldt State University is perfect. It heralds the threshold of the West Coast, with a beautiful beach, and to the East blooms the Great Redwood Forest, filled with ancient Sequoia trees. The air is fresh with the spirit of nature.

Because of the location, Arcata is very expensive. It creates extra stress and difficulty for Humboldt State University students.

Bonnie

There is a never-ending list of things I would tell myself to do differently if I had the chance to talk to myself as a senior in high school. First and foremost is not to stress. My biggest fear was the changes I would experience when I left the bird nest I called home. Change is inevitable and I became stressed trying to accept it. Secondly I would tell myself to crack down and work on more scholarships! I received several scholarships, but more are always helpful to allow me to focus on the most important thing at hand: my education. Last but not least, I would tell myself that the transition to college (and college life) is a wonderful and vital step in my life. I would let my senior self know that whether or not she would take my advice, everything would turn out just as it should. That is, I'm on my way towards my dreams and nothing can hold me back, only push me closer to my goal.

Besides the fact that it is very eco-friendly and in the redwoods by the ocean, the class to teacher ratio is very nice. I was able to connect well with all of my teachers all of last year.

I don't really like the prices of books and the cost of living on campus. If it were less then I would be much more satisfied with HSU.

Contessa

Being able to go back in time and depart knowledge about the immediate future seems a valuable opportunity. I know I would have appreciated being a little more prepared for the journey. The first thing I would do is let myself know about how overwhelming the experience is at first, but that it will pass and getting into the swing of things is easy enough. I would tell myself that I don?t have to be best friends with my dormitory roommate because I just end up hating everyone she hangs out with, and I would also say, ?eat healthy, and don?t go to the hospital that one time your stomach hurt so bad it crippled you. It was just an ulcer and they don?t diagnose you but still charge you about $4,000.? The next thing I would say, however, is to never travel back in time. "People walk their paths," I would say, "and there?s no point in going backward. Never regret anything, no matter how foolish you thought you were. You learn from experiences, especially when they?re bad, and if there was anything worth doing in your lifetime, it would be learning.?

The students that choose to attend this school must be self motivated in order to succeed. As with any college there are many distractions, but Humboldt, at least with my experiece in the school of science, tends to have very challenging classes. This school has a very good science program, especially if you want to study wildlife, ecology, or botany, but the student has to make sure that he/she is able to stay on top of the work load. It's very easy to fall behind and in most cases it is also very hard to catch up.

For me, the most frustrating thing about this school is the budget cuts. I was extremely satisfied with this school until now. With the budget cuts in effect, it is very difficult to create my schedule for the semester. It is difficult to satisfy the need to be available for work as well as meet all of my major and minor requirements. Many vital classes for me only have one or two time slots, and more often than not these classes even conflict with themselves.

Salina

The very first thing I would tell myself is ?There are other people like you when you get to college.? Throughout all high school, I was that dork that cared about things like learning and grades. The loser that actually did all of the assigned reading and actually liked it. Now that I?m at a four-year university with other English majors, I have met people that think like me and understand what I babble on about. Next I would tell myself that there is no shame in going to a community college. There is a lot of looking down one?s nose at the community college system, but there is no reason for it. You are in a class of about 30 to 40 people learning your general education when my friends were in classes of 300 students learning the exact same lessons. I know I had more one-on-one time with my professors. Do not let anyone fool you into thinking that any sort of education is not substandard to another. And remember, you get what you give ? put the effort in and you will get the rewards.

Anyone uncomfortable with liberal ideals might be conserned with the extreme left views of some students. Even then, however, it is a school that focuses on understanding and acceptance, so there are not many people that shouldn't attend Humboldt State.

I tell every friend that will listen that going to a school with fewer students makes all the difference. At first I planned to go to a school with 36,000 students, then switched to a school with less than 7,000. It has made all the difference and all of my teachers know my name.

Danielle

I would make sure to introduce myself to my professors early. It is important that they get to know you right away. Also, I would tell myself to join plenty of clubs associated with my major. It is very important to get to know the people who both share the same major and interests as you. It also provides you with a great network to find a job. I would tell my high school self to make sure that I had plenty of waterproof clothing!

One of the most frustrating things about my school is the lack of availability of classes. Certain classes are only offered every other semester and sometimes only at one time, as opposed to being offered multiple times each semester.

Yasmine

Environmental Engineering program. Marine Biology, Wildlife programs. Nursing programs. It is know for the geographical area it resides in being one of the most amazing areas in the US.

If I could go back in time and give myself advise pertaining to making the transisiton into college life, I would focus on the importance of the ability of being able to use your degree after college. I am currently going back to college to complete a second degree, this time in nursing. My first degree did not enable me to enter into a good paying career. I found that many of my friends had the same problem. We all have college degrees that we worked very hard to complete, yet we are unable to find a job that is both fulfilling and financially secure. In order to do so, we would need to further our education significantly. The advise I would give myself would be to take the time in college to focus on a major that will allow you to jump directly into a career, or to have a plan that includes continuing education to do so. College courses are hard work. Remembering that it's not just the diploma at the end of studies, but the career that follows, that is the real reward for all the hard work.

How hard it can be to find housing. so I would've started looking sooner.

Ryan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would probably tell myself to meet more people at the beginning of the semester, actually read the text book (barring the history ones), and stop procrastinating. Though I am still working on the latter of those three. It was pretty lonely at the beginning of college because i was quite shy then and didn't really have the courage to go out and meet others, and i still have issues with that. I was just lucky that a few of my dormates shared my interests and we did become friends once they discovered I really wasn't an angry misanthrope (Funny how first impressions go). As to reading textbooks, i almost failed my Intro to Enginnering class because i didn't read. You see i had never actually had to do so before except for english. In high school i just paid attention and winged it. History books are one of the few i never actually have to crack open. As for the whole procrastination issue, I would tell my past self, "do as i say not as I do." ...and block Wikipedia.

As an engineering student, I would say the engineering program. Humboldt has a very strong Environmental Resourses Engineering major. It also tends strongly to other biological sciences, including biochemistry, forestry, and wildlife. The professors for these programs are all very helpful and are very willing to work with students beyond the classroom. However liberal arts majors, art majors in particular, may find inspiration in the surrounding area. Its a very beautiful location, though my work schedual often forces me to forget it.

Some of the students don't take their education as seriously as myself and others. Humboldt tends to see alot of drinking and marijuana use from that set of students, which can be particullarly grating during group project meetings. However, those preforming such acts in the more rigorus programs tend to drop or change majors.

Derek

HSU is best known for its thriving environmental sciences department. The school, situated in a massive area of pristine wilderness, is in itself a perfect laboratory for the field. Botany, environmental engineering, oceanography, and biology are all common majors. In addition to its academic aspects, Humboldt County offers an almost unlimited opportunity for outdoor recreation and hands-on learning.

Humboldt State offers what none of the Universities of California can- hundreds of miles of beautiful, untouched oceanfront transitioning to towering canopies of redwood and spruce trees within a stone's throw of the Pacific Ocean. Arcata is the quintessential college town; a tiny city populated by a huge artisan and agricultural community rich in history and culture. With a small student body, professors have the ability to get to know each and every student individually, something rarely found at the larger CSUs and UC's.

The trick to college life is simply to stay calm, work hard, and keep smiling. High school is just the stepping stone to the next level of education. Don't give up on anything yet. It's a long haul until graduation, but it's all worth it in the end. Anger, frustration, and depression never got anybody anywhere. Stay calm and don't self-destruct. Optimism is the biggest part of college life. In the beginning, it might feel like nothing's going anywhere, like you're not good enough to make the cut for sophomore year, like you're all alone in a huge new world. The truth is, things get better. Keep a level head. Smile and enjoy life, but don't let things pile up. Enjoy the rest of senior year and make the most of your summer and the time you have left at home.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.