Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Luis

Humboldt State is a school where you can truly be yourself without being afraid of judgement. There is room for all backgrounds, a place for all self expressions. Located in a beautiful, serene environment, one is sure to find themselves. The small classes and easily accessible faculty will help lead you to succeed academically. Overall, this amazing campus will show you the true meaning of expression, activism, and community, all while assisting you to gracefully succeed in the field in which you are studying.

Sierra

I am so happy with my choice to go to Humboldt State. I was a little into the outdoors and stuff in high school, but after coming here, hiking and outdoor adventures are a part of my life. Everyone here is super friendly and you're sure to find something to talk about with anyone! The classroom sizes are small so you're able to get more one on one with teachers, and even if you can't they always have office hours that they all urge you to go to get extra help! Overall, the atmosphere or Humboldt is amazing!

Juan

Humboldt State University is great in that you get more interaction from your professors, who are very friendly and approachable. The campus is moderately large, but not too bad that you can walk to every class if you live on campus. The amount of extracurricular activities that they offer here and just outside is amazing! It's situated in a forest of beautiful Redwood trees, and only about a twenty minute drive to the closest beach. Lots to do, and everyone here is so friendly. Plus added bonus, we're huge on being environmentally friendly. In general, really great school for adventurers and not too much academic pressure.

Elias

Humboldt is a very friendly, small campus. The professors are really great people as well. The staff and faculty truly care for the students. On-campus housing is definitely a must! But most importantly, Humboldt is the cheapest four year university in California.

Kevin

My overall opinion of the university is that I absolutely love it. It's a smaller than average campus, but it makes up for that by having a clean and positive student environment. Class sizes and usually in the 27:1 ratio. You get to know your professors very well and that's probably the most important thing to a student.

Sarahi

With my experience attending Humboldt State I have discovered an atmosphere of determined students that want to make a change in the world with their selected careers ranging from English to Environmental Resource Engineering. There are a multitude of resources on campus and guidance from the major departments that provide help in achieving academic and non-academic goals you may have. Humboldt State is a place where you can explore the forest, beaches and environment between classes to take a break. As a freshman I was able to join various clubs such as Natural Resources Club and Super Smash Crew which have enabled me to feel more welcomed and involved. Another part of Humboldt State that has helped me feel welcomed is the Wildlife department which has given me resources and advice towards my career goals. In conclusion, HSU is a place that lets you obtain knowledge in many aspects and interests.

landry

Humboldt State University is a beautiful campus located in the heart of the Redwood forest with an ocean view. The people who go here are extremely openhearted and open-minded. All students enjoy the amazing science and art facilities, majors of all walks of life live together and expand their education in all directions.

The stereotype? It fits a percentage of the student body. Going to school in one of the largest marijuana producing counties in the world comes with a reputation that everyone who goes there would be tie-dyed and dread-locked. But that is so untrue for the majority of Humboldt's population, most of us are clean, focused, and keep healthy.

Every where you go you see Nature Lovers, and Musicians. So it is easy to conclude that the most popular stuff the students do are socialize, adventure, and have an all around great time.

Andrew

I would tell my high school senior self to take AP courses more seriously becuase I wish that I had passes my AP test and gotten college credits so I don't have to retake the classes

The school spirit is amazing here. A lot of students show up to all the sporting events.

Study, Study, Study, I what I would advise, because college is nothing like Highschool. School can get stressfull, and it's okay to give yourself a break, but don't take advantage of it. You don't also have to be around someone, it's okay to be alone in your room sometimes. Also, don't get jealous of people who are having more fun than you, just sing up for clubs and try to do volunteer work. It's most likely that those people partying finals week won't make it back next semester. Just take care of yourself, your education, and your finances, and don't feel bad if you have to say no, because in the long run, it's for the better. One last thing I would tell myself, IS DON'T TAKE A 7:30am CLASS, even if its the only one avilible and only twice a week. It'll drain your energy and you don't want that at all, especially in college.

I wish I had know how chill the enviorment is, and how everyone is so laidback. I would have also like to know who my roommates were and how they act. This is because they were nothing like I excpected and it has made living arragments a little uncomfortable.

Cristina

If you don’t know what you want to do, take some time to travel, work, or serve as an intern or apprentice. There are lots of opportunities to work, travel, or do both—in both the U.S. and abroad—for anyone willing to do some research and take a risk. If you go straight to college after high school just because you “should”—and not because you truly want to—you’ll lack the passion, drive, and discipline required to excel in your studies. It’s okay to admit that you don’t know what you want out of your life. It’s not okay to capitulate to other people’s expectations and desires for that life. It’s your life, not theirs. Take responsibility for it, in every way—financial, intellectual, emotional. Once you’ve taken responsibility for your life, you can take ownership of your life. And once you’ve taken ownership of your life, you will discover how truly liberating it is to be an adult.

For me, the best thing about HSU is its inclusivity, in every sense of the word. The natural beauty and rich history of Humboldt County have attracted faculty members of widely diverse experience, especially in natural resources and sciences, but also in geography (my major) and other disciplines. Its focus on diversity attracts students from all over the state, so even though HSU is in a rural area its student body reflects "the many states of California" (to borrow a phrase from a recent advertising campaign). HSU is a microcosm of the best the surrounding community has to offer.

This is going to sound clichéd, but I wish I had had a stronger idea of how I wanted to shape my career at the time I re-enrolled in community college. I might have been better able to plan my courses for transfer, and avoided certain issues I have subsequently encountered with unit caps!

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.