Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

monique

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself a few things. I would tell myself the importance of GPA's and how much they could open up doors for you. Not that GPA's are everything, but by being concerned with your GPA, there's more scholarship opportunities that enable you to afford college. Secondly, practice good study skills and habits and utilize on-campus resources. These things never go away in college. Practice studying now so you can understand what method(s) works best for you in college. Lastly, keep in mind that school isn't about who you're friends with, what sports or groups you're in, or even to prove how smart you are. It's a place of promise that no matter where you're from or what problems you have, always remember that if you try, you'll succeed. You can do anything you set your mind to, so as long as you try.

How diverse, economically responsible and friendly, and creative it is. I love that they are so accepting of everyone and there is always something going on; something new to learn about the Earth or social activism.

Adrienne

The most unique thing about my school is valued grately by many people, it's the level of acceptance/tolerance that our students and faculty have for eachother. Just because one expresses themselves differently doesn't indicate a GPA or Major

If there was a magical opportunity to go back and advise my high school senior self, I would start by saying prioritizing is key. Making new friends in college is a wonderfully uplifting and encouraging experience. Keep in mind that networking is key in building your career, but the best network you can have is your family. Don't loose sight of the people that helped get you to college, that pushed your 'last' button to work for more scholarships, more job interviews, and more college applications. These are the humans that will be with you before and after college, and every moment in between. Loosing sight of them is hurtful to your family and detrimental to your own success. Prioritize your family, and the loved ones that encouraged you to and through college. These humans have more gravity in your life than any friend or connection that one could possible meet in a University.

The atmosphere of the school is amazing. It's natural surroundings and the humans that fill it make it a wonderful University.

Diego

Well established, socially accepting environment where everyone wants to have a good time and get along with one another.

I adivise you, if you want to keep your financial costs to a minimum, stay on top of everything that you have to do. Every little thing you slack off on, will come back to bite you in the wallet that is in your back pocket. Take your classes serious and study because your GPA will also help you get loads of free money. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new things. You will find what best suits you and that is when you discover who you really are. Don't listen to the criticism from others for being socially deviant as that is typically what helps you succeed in the future. As you move away from home, you become FREE! No more regulation, curfews, or anything. Do you have to do the way you want to (and it has to be a successful way, of course). Also, while you are there, don't forget to take a moment to let the moments of college sink into your brain as they will be some of the best years of your life.

Alaina

If able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would be tempted to tell myself many things: not just pieces of advice, but warning and hopeful messages. However, in hindsight, I would not tell myself anything. The things I most greatly needed to hear came from people much older and wiser than I am now. The things I needed to hear came from unexpected places whose discovery was as valuable and enlightening as the wisdom itself. In my first year of college, I have learned so much and been on such an incredible journey that I would not dare jeopardize losing these experiences by attempting to make my life marginally easier. In addition, advice heard is never nearly as valuable as advice realized. The process of discovery and realization was, for me, well worth the loneliness, fear, doubt, and pain I pose to minimize with advice. I already possessed much of what I needed to know, it was merely a matter of applying it. The things I did not already know, I serendipitously stumbled upon. I suppose if I were to tell myself one thing, I would remind myself that I am stronger than I know.

I attended an early college program. While I entered HSU as a first time freshman, I came with many college units. Because of this, I have run into a few minor problems and am still working to sort some of it out. There is nothing specific I wish I had known, I just wish I knew that these units were going to be such an inconvenience so I could have started working to remedy the issues sooner.

Alexis

I find college quite similar to how teachers prepared up for in high school. However, the only thing I found difficult is the lack of teacher and student meeting times. In high school, I was able to meet my teachers anytime during the week and how I am limited to certain hours they are available. I am still thankful that I am able to meet my professors still in case I need advice, but I wish that they would be available more for the students.

Luis

We may think that education might not have any value, but I found out first hand that it does. Becoming a professional can only be reached by investing some money towards your education; and in time a degree will compensate you with a promising future. Through education, you will be able to have a job working in a career that you would be happy to wake up to every morning. Even a hobby can become a career with a higher education. In time, you may become your own boss and even achieve the goals you had in mind and with better preparation. Since my return to community college, education has provided me the ability to discover my passion; as well as provided me with an idea of how the real world would be after receiving my Associate of Science in General Studies Degree. While attending college you have the privilege of interacting with a broad range of cultures, as well as the ability to build new relationships. This experience can allow you to broaden your horizons. Overall I have learned that education is more valuable than finances.

Jackie

I would tell my former self to not stress over the things I have no control over. I would make sure to let myself know that life gets even better but it flies by and I should slow down and enjoy the little things. College is a very different and much more difficult environment than high school so I would ingrain the importance of good study habits and keeping a cool demeanor when things get stressful. The transition from high school to college was something that required a lot of work and commitment but was definitely worth the effort.

Zach

Whats unique about Humboldt State is it's probaly one of the most diverse college campus I know of. Its full of all types of ethnicities, religions, ideas, and styles all compiled into one big melting pot on campus. Being in a remote but visually beautiful area it creates a peaceful atmosphere that many students thrive academically in. Living in a small town makes everthing close as you get to know all the people in town and on campus making it feel like home when I come back to school and the town with all the familiar faces.

Looking back from my current college career to where it all started back in highschool there's many things I would advise myself about my future. Coming off of highschool I would definately tell myself to stay motivated and grind out high school the best I could and keep as much of an open mind that I could when looking into my college options. Knowing what I know now it's not all about what the school looks like on a brochere but really what the campus life entails and what they really offer academically that will benefit me beyond the institution. As many colleges look appealing to the eye there's no way of knowing whether you will fit in culturally and excell the level you would if you were somewhere else. With that in mind my final point and overall message to myself would be stay focused, think beyond college, and do my best.

I love my school for many reasons as it has so much to offer that large universities do not. I believe Humboldt State's best quality is it location. The location of the school provides so much diverse and different scencery that you would not experience anywhere else. As my school resides in the redwood forest among thousands of trees along the mountains but at the same time you are on the coast of california almost making it feel like the area is much larger than it actually is.

Earlmatthew

If I can go back in time and have an opportunity to talk to myself, I will tell myself that it is not easy. Being in college isn't easy. Although it is fun to be out in the real world, there are a lot of responsibilities in the real that we all have to fullfill. I will advice myself to be more cautious on making crucial decisions. Decisions that build up lives, they are the basic fundamentals of what we become in the future. Being out there in the real world is fun, it can also be stressful. In high school, I always thought that College is just gonna be another year or two then I can get a better paying job after but no. In reality, it is a choice, a choice that can truly influence my life in the future, a choice that I will never regret. I know that education is the only treasure in life and no one can ever take it away.

justice

After making it for the first semester in college, there are a lot that I have learnt from. I always come to the conclusion that decisions I made has put me where I am today. There is only one thing that I would advice myself on, and that is joining clubs and learning hard to win scholarships at high school. The financial demands at colloge is very crucial. Hundreds and thousands of dollars are needed to be able to make it through a semester, because every class you take will require you to get something you really can't say no to, such as books and online access codes to do homeworks and projects. These all can be done by purchasing them only. Nothing there is on credit, not even a scantron for a test. The worst of all is the short deadlines on due payments. These hinders my dream pursuance. I seek all legal possible sources to pay up the due payments and scolarships seems to be be emerging always as the only source. It is although never too late to get a scholarship but it would be better if I had it before coming to college.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.