Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Study, Study, Study, I what I would advise, because college is nothing like Highschool. School can get stressfull, and it's okay to give yourself a break, but don't take advantage of it. You don't also have to be around someone, it's okay to be alone in your room sometimes. Also, don't get jealous of people who are having more fun than you, just sing up for clubs and try to do volunteer work. It's most likely that those people partying finals week won't make it back next semester. Just take care of yourself, your education, and your finances, and don't feel bad if you have to say no, because in the long run, it's for the better. One last thing I would tell myself, IS DON'T TAKE A 7:30am CLASS, even if its the only one avilible and only twice a week. It'll drain your energy and you don't want that at all, especially in college.

I wish I had know how chill the enviorment is, and how everyone is so laidback. I would have also like to know who my roommates were and how they act. This is because they were nothing like I excpected and it has made living arragments a little uncomfortable.

Cristina

If you don’t know what you want to do, take some time to travel, work, or serve as an intern or apprentice. There are lots of opportunities to work, travel, or do both—in both the U.S. and abroad—for anyone willing to do some research and take a risk. If you go straight to college after high school just because you “should”—and not because you truly want to—you’ll lack the passion, drive, and discipline required to excel in your studies. It’s okay to admit that you don’t know what you want out of your life. It’s not okay to capitulate to other people’s expectations and desires for that life. It’s your life, not theirs. Take responsibility for it, in every way—financial, intellectual, emotional. Once you’ve taken responsibility for your life, you can take ownership of your life. And once you’ve taken ownership of your life, you will discover how truly liberating it is to be an adult.

For me, the best thing about HSU is its inclusivity, in every sense of the word. The natural beauty and rich history of Humboldt County have attracted faculty members of widely diverse experience, especially in natural resources and sciences, but also in geography (my major) and other disciplines. Its focus on diversity attracts students from all over the state, so even though HSU is in a rural area its student body reflects "the many states of California" (to borrow a phrase from a recent advertising campaign). HSU is a microcosm of the best the surrounding community has to offer.

This is going to sound clichéd, but I wish I had had a stronger idea of how I wanted to shape my career at the time I re-enrolled in community college. I might have been better able to plan my courses for transfer, and avoided certain issues I have subsequently encountered with unit caps!

jhovany

This is a small school but the fact that you can get more one on one time with professors is amazing. It's what make attending a four year university easier, having people that want to help you.

One of the most popular groups on campus would be the "Y.E.S House" it stands for "Youth Educational Services". This is a great program to be involved in because this program gives back to the community. One of those ways is attending a heath fair where the doctors need a translator, we would go and be that translator. This program benefits very one.

Students here are very friendly , every one smiles at each other and say good morning even though they might not know you. It is very diverse culture wise but its a great thing because this allows me to be my self and have a great collage experience.

Humboldt State University is a progressive campus with small class sizes and faculty that cares about their students and are willing to help in any way they can.

I am 35 years old, and just now attending a university after starting late at the community college level. If I could talk to my former self, I would tell myself to stop messing around and get serious about my education. I would tell my former self that if you don't get it together now, you are going to end up making a lot of bad choices. Once you finally make the decision to go back to school and better yourself, you will find it much more difficult as an adult. Life will have added responsibilities that you don't have to worrry about now, like a child, bills, and rent. With no help from anyone, because you will no longer be a dependent, you will struggle to care for your child, and make ends meet, all the while wishing there was more time in the day because 24 hours just isn't enough. Don't wait to get the education you deserve and need to become someone great. I know you are afraid of failing, but you can do it. I believe in you. You are strong and you are beautiful.

The quality of the education I have received is stellar. The classes are interesting and challenging, and the material is engaging. The teachers are knowledgeable and they clearly convey the information, making it easy to not only learn the material, but also to retain it and apply it to real life situations.

monique

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself a few things. I would tell myself the importance of GPA's and how much they could open up doors for you. Not that GPA's are everything, but by being concerned with your GPA, there's more scholarship opportunities that enable you to afford college. Secondly, practice good study skills and habits and utilize on-campus resources. These things never go away in college. Practice studying now so you can understand what method(s) works best for you in college. Lastly, keep in mind that school isn't about who you're friends with, what sports or groups you're in, or even to prove how smart you are. It's a place of promise that no matter where you're from or what problems you have, always remember that if you try, you'll succeed. You can do anything you set your mind to, so as long as you try.

How diverse, economically responsible and friendly, and creative it is. I love that they are so accepting of everyone and there is always something going on; something new to learn about the Earth or social activism.

Adrienne

The most unique thing about my school is valued grately by many people, it's the level of acceptance/tolerance that our students and faculty have for eachother. Just because one expresses themselves differently doesn't indicate a GPA or Major

If there was a magical opportunity to go back and advise my high school senior self, I would start by saying prioritizing is key. Making new friends in college is a wonderfully uplifting and encouraging experience. Keep in mind that networking is key in building your career, but the best network you can have is your family. Don't loose sight of the people that helped get you to college, that pushed your 'last' button to work for more scholarships, more job interviews, and more college applications. These are the humans that will be with you before and after college, and every moment in between. Loosing sight of them is hurtful to your family and detrimental to your own success. Prioritize your family, and the loved ones that encouraged you to and through college. These humans have more gravity in your life than any friend or connection that one could possible meet in a University.

The atmosphere of the school is amazing. It's natural surroundings and the humans that fill it make it a wonderful University.

Diego

Well established, socially accepting environment where everyone wants to have a good time and get along with one another.

I adivise you, if you want to keep your financial costs to a minimum, stay on top of everything that you have to do. Every little thing you slack off on, will come back to bite you in the wallet that is in your back pocket. Take your classes serious and study because your GPA will also help you get loads of free money. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new things. You will find what best suits you and that is when you discover who you really are. Don't listen to the criticism from others for being socially deviant as that is typically what helps you succeed in the future. As you move away from home, you become FREE! No more regulation, curfews, or anything. Do you have to do the way you want to (and it has to be a successful way, of course). Also, while you are there, don't forget to take a moment to let the moments of college sink into your brain as they will be some of the best years of your life.

Alaina

If able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would be tempted to tell myself many things: not just pieces of advice, but warning and hopeful messages. However, in hindsight, I would not tell myself anything. The things I most greatly needed to hear came from people much older and wiser than I am now. The things I needed to hear came from unexpected places whose discovery was as valuable and enlightening as the wisdom itself. In my first year of college, I have learned so much and been on such an incredible journey that I would not dare jeopardize losing these experiences by attempting to make my life marginally easier. In addition, advice heard is never nearly as valuable as advice realized. The process of discovery and realization was, for me, well worth the loneliness, fear, doubt, and pain I pose to minimize with advice. I already possessed much of what I needed to know, it was merely a matter of applying it. The things I did not already know, I serendipitously stumbled upon. I suppose if I were to tell myself one thing, I would remind myself that I am stronger than I know.

I attended an early college program. While I entered HSU as a first time freshman, I came with many college units. Because of this, I have run into a few minor problems and am still working to sort some of it out. There is nothing specific I wish I had known, I just wish I knew that these units were going to be such an inconvenience so I could have started working to remedy the issues sooner.

Alexis

I find college quite similar to how teachers prepared up for in high school. However, the only thing I found difficult is the lack of teacher and student meeting times. In high school, I was able to meet my teachers anytime during the week and how I am limited to certain hours they are available. I am still thankful that I am able to meet my professors still in case I need advice, but I wish that they would be available more for the students.

Luis

We may think that education might not have any value, but I found out first hand that it does. Becoming a professional can only be reached by investing some money towards your education; and in time a degree will compensate you with a promising future. Through education, you will be able to have a job working in a career that you would be happy to wake up to every morning. Even a hobby can become a career with a higher education. In time, you may become your own boss and even achieve the goals you had in mind and with better preparation. Since my return to community college, education has provided me the ability to discover my passion; as well as provided me with an idea of how the real world would be after receiving my Associate of Science in General Studies Degree. While attending college you have the privilege of interacting with a broad range of cultures, as well as the ability to build new relationships. This experience can allow you to broaden your horizons. Overall I have learned that education is more valuable than finances.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.