Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Ruby

Humboldt State University is nestled on a hill with Redwood trees in the background.

I know you really like Accounting, but you are going take a job in a pharmacy later in life that is going change your life forever. You are going to start as a clerk, but within a few months you will take an online class and become state certified. Within four years you will go back to college to try to become a pharmacist. In the last stages of Pre-pharmacy you will lose your funding due to a condition called unit capping. So, when you take a pharmacology class in the Fall of your sophomore year, study hard, don’t give up. This class could change your future. Knowing what I know now about college; I suggest you be careful as to how many classes you take at the undergraduate level. Keep an eye on all your credits. Universities keep track of how many credits are attempted and it can affect your financial aid in the future.

If you like group projects then Humboldt State University is where you want to attend. This university is big on team building.

Holly

First and foremost, listen to your gut instinct! There were so many times that I wished I had just listened to my gut and inner voice telling me that I should or should not do something. So, trust yourself - you know what you want and what is best for you. Also, don't settle for anything less than what you really desire. Now, on to some more fun advice. You have stuck your nose in a book and worked so hard during high school but you need to get out there and have some fun! College is not the time to explore and party like so many people say. You need to have some fun with friends now and explore new places, situations and emotions while you're still in high school or right out of high school so that when you get to college and you realize it's difficult and requires tons of study time, you're not wishing you had experienced more before you got there. Lastly, have a blast. Say yes when friends ask you to go on an adventure and stay true to your hearts desire... it will lead you in the right direction.

The worst thing is how many classes are being cut. The school keeps raising tuition and cutting programs and classes which limits what a person can accomplish at the school. The school does not offer a nursing program, law degree program or medical program.

Some one that does not mind cold, overcast weather and a lot of pot heads. A person that enjoys the redwoods and a more liberal idea about things.

Haley

There was a large gap between high school and when I seriously attended college. However, if I could go back to my high school self I would advise myself to stay more focused in school. Maybe if I had done better in high school I would have gone to college earlier. I am 27 and graduating with my BA in psychology and am starting my MA program this fall 2012 semester. So maybe if I could go back in time and tell myself to try harder I would be done with school and in my career at this point. I would also let myself know that college is a wonderful experience where I will learn so much more about myself and my life.

The learning experience and environment, because it has allowed me to succeed in my studies and goals.

Jessica, you are about to have the best experience of your life! Humboldt State is absolutely amazing and there are a lot of fun activities that are you going to be able to attend. Although, transitioning from living with your parents to moving out on your own will be a very difficult transition, you will be able to do it! The best advice I could give you would be to start saving money now! Humboldt State Jessica is unfortunately depending heavily on student loans. If I were able to start over again I would have applied for scholarships my freshman year in high school. Even though you are a senior you should start applying now because it will definitely make a huge impact. Do not worry, college life is very different from high school. Forget about all your insecurities as well as all the people you wish you were friends with, and start getting excited about all the awesome friends you are about to meet at Humboldt State. The most important advice I can give you is keep smiling, keep enjoying life, and continue to have fun. The semesters at HSU fly by and so does life, so enjoy it!

I wish I had known how much diversity is not present at Humboldt State university.

If someone is from a large city, ejoys the city life, and the party scene , Humboldt State is not for you!

ASHLEY

IF I COULD GO BACK IN TIME AND TALK TO MYSELF AS A HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR, I WOULD ADVISE MYSELF NOT TO WAIT. THAT IN ORDER TO SURVIVE IN THE FUTURE WITHOUT A STRUGGLE YOU NEED A COLLEGE EDUCATION. NOT ONLY TO BETTER YOUR LIFE, BUT FOR YOUR FUTURE CHILDREN WHO WILL DEPEND ON YOU. YOU CAN DO IT AT NIGHT,DURING THE DAY, ONLINE, AT YOUR OWN PACE ITS UP TO WHAT OWRKS BEST FOR YOU. THEN EXPLAIN THAT LIFE IS ABOUT DECISIONS AND HOW IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE THE CORRECT ONE FOR YOU. I WOULD ALSO PUSH MYSELF TO EXCEED MY GOALS, AND ENCOURAGE THAT ONLY THE BEST WILL COME OF IT. LASTLY EXPLAIN THE BENIFITS.... HOW THEY WILL LEAD TO BETTER OPPURTUNITIES IN LIFE. YOU WANT A CAREER YOU WILL LOVE AND ENJOY, MAKING GREAT MONEY.... NOT A JOB THAT WILL BRING MISERY WITH AN EXTREMELY LOW INCOME.

christopher

Humboldt State is a University where students can further their education in a field they are actually emotionally interested in.

The students are of a wide variety of individuals, driven to further their academic career.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college life, I would tell myself to begin saving money and preparing for a better education. I would encourage myself to be even more frugal with my money and to search out any means of financial help. I would also tell myself to commit to school and continue to get good grades. However, as far as the transition goes, I would not warn myself of anything. The experience has been one of the better experiences of my life and I would not want to spoil it for myself; rather allow for myself to find out first hand, as I really did. The only struggles I have had with college life have been financial, the rest of my experiences have been rewarding and intriguing.

John

They were helpful, fun loving, and serious when we needed to get to work on our projects or studies.

Humbold sit in the mist of the pristine Redwood forest, a close walk or a short drive everything the Redwoods have to offer. Humboldt has one of the best conservation school in the nation. Instructors are very helpful, they provide you with the needed tools, and are there to insure you will get the eduction you need to land that career job you are looking for.

Don't stop with a BS, continue on to get a master then a PHD, you'll need it in the future.

Humboldt State University is a freindly school.

Humboldt State University is a freindly school.

Learn as much as you can about time management and different ways to study. High school does not properly teach you skills about different study techniques and managing a hectic college schudule. If you learn these two skills properly and stay motivated college will be less stressful. Pay attention in all your high school classes. You may think you will never need to know that information in the future but knowing it may lead to you finding something your interested in and love.

That the classes were so crowded to the point that some students are unable to take the classes they need.

Teresa

Actually I think I made the right decision. Although I applied to college while in high school, I chickened out and decided to stay home and attend commmunity college for two years and transfer. I know that by taking this route I "missed out" on the college experience, living in dorms and such, but while living at home and attending the JC close to my house I was able to work 35 hours a week, so I was able to save a little bit of money for when I transfered. I would recommend this to anybody who isn't 100% about their college/career path, it is a good idea considering how much school is starting to cost now!

There isn't much to do in Humboldt County, not much nightlife, and not much is open on the weekends. It is nicer to live outside Eureka, the largest city (in my opinion) but Eureka is where most of the stores are. That's about it... Humboldt is awesome, just really small in terms of population

We have been affected severely by budget cuts thanks to the CSU system, including cuts of major/graduate programs, financial aid benefits, classes and lectures, professors, all leading up to larger classes, which WAS much of the allure of Humboldt State, (meaning the smaller classes,) but now they aren't so small. Not huge, but not small, and many of the lecture halls aren't built for the recent influx of people to HSU, so the classrooms are more crowded. Lots of HSU students refuse to bathe/wash their hair. You can understand.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.