Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Marissa

I spent three years of my life chasing the career that my family wanted me to. I was so afraid of being cut off from the family both emotionally and financially that I gave up on all of my own hopes, dreams, and ambitions in order to fit their mold of a “successful” career path. Only recently did I gain the courage to finally go after what I want; to pursue a career as a costume designer. I really wish I could have told the high school version of myself that yes, it is frightening as hell to go out on your own, but it is worth the sacrifice. I have never been this content, this happy with the path I am on in my life, and I really wish I would have started down it sooner.

The most frustrating thing about my campus is the parking situation. I pay over $300 for a parking pass, and there is NEVER anywhere to park. I regularlly have to leave for my classes an hour and a half early in order to ensure that I have enough time to drive around a wait for a parking spot to open up.

Very friendly group of people.

Very friendly group of people.

Dear High School Senior Self, If at all possible take more AP classes, and apply for more scholarships. College is expensive! Take thhose classes at city college that you were tinking about taking over the summer, it will be helpfu for you to get your GE requirements out of the way as soon as possible. Humboldt State was a good choice for you, you willl have no problem meeting new people and making friends. Just remember that it is very cold and rains a lot so dress appropriately. Don't worry about your friends who are going to city college after high school, going to a 4 year university is the right decision. Don't be too nervous starting your freshman year, you will have lots of fun, I promise. From, College Freshman Self

Kenna

Dear Kenna in Senior year, First do not take your eyes off the prize. Even if you change your mind on what you want to do, do not let anything or anyone get in the way of you succeeding. You are an intelligent girl. Making the transition into adult hood is not an easy task so take it slow. Do not let the idea of making new friends scare you, people are not that mean. Okay this is important: make time to study! Even if you seemed backed up with a lot, there is always time to study and trust me when you study it pays off. The classes do not wait for you to keep up so go to office hours of your professors often. It really is not that scary they are there to help you! No matter where you go to school next year remember these lessons because trust me, I know. Oh and budget your money smartly, do you really need that bag of gummy worms? You can do this. Love Your Future College Freshman Self

What I consider the worst thing at HSU is the amount of stairs you have to climb everyday, especially if you have an early class. The stairs help keepone in shape for sure, but waking up to four sets of stairs to get from the dorms to the university square is a little tiring.

The type of person that should attend Humbolst State University are people who love nature. The school is set in the redwood forest and is a great school for science majors. People who should apply should also not mind the rain as it rains most of the time. HSU is a great schoolfor those who want to escape the busy lifestyle of the city.

mauricio

The overall environment and the nice people in it. Just imagine walking in a town where just about everyone is nice. From the beautiful weather to the exotic forest humboldt really allows a person to enjoy themselves. Now something I would have to say stands out as being unique about my school is the stairs. There is no need to go to the gym because humboldt state university contains a lot of them and gives a person an overall workout from climbing them. Humboldt summing it all up is a very enjoyabe place to be.

I would tell myself to stay focused on my main goal and never give up. I learned a lot as I was growing up and some of it prepared me when I made that transition into adulthood. I would of done better in high school that way my gpa woud of been higher and it would of increased my chances of getting into more colleges. If I knew now what I knew then I would easily tell myslef to save my money instead of spending it on miscellaneous iteams to impress people in high school. I am glad I knew how much my tuition and housing was going to be but there was no one around to tell me how to spend my money when I got my refund check so i was going crazy buying all this unecessary stuff. If I would of saved some extra money when I was in high school when I spent all my refund check; I would of at least had some in my pocket instead of going broke. Life has a way of just throwing things at you when you least expect it and sometimes a person has to go with the flow.

If you plan on slacking off, not determined to go to class, or do your work then this is not the school for you. Humboldt takes their education seriously and even though the professor gets paid if a student does or does not show up to class it is best to show up. Yes there are going to be times when a student will feel under the weather and that is okay but they must make sure they email their proffesor and let them know. A person who is not serious about an education and their life should not come

Ruby

Humboldt State University is nestled on a hill with Redwood trees in the background.

I know you really like Accounting, but you are going take a job in a pharmacy later in life that is going change your life forever. You are going to start as a clerk, but within a few months you will take an online class and become state certified. Within four years you will go back to college to try to become a pharmacist. In the last stages of Pre-pharmacy you will lose your funding due to a condition called unit capping. So, when you take a pharmacology class in the Fall of your sophomore year, study hard, don’t give up. This class could change your future. Knowing what I know now about college; I suggest you be careful as to how many classes you take at the undergraduate level. Keep an eye on all your credits. Universities keep track of how many credits are attempted and it can affect your financial aid in the future.

If you like group projects then Humboldt State University is where you want to attend. This university is big on team building.

Holly

First and foremost, listen to your gut instinct! There were so many times that I wished I had just listened to my gut and inner voice telling me that I should or should not do something. So, trust yourself - you know what you want and what is best for you. Also, don't settle for anything less than what you really desire. Now, on to some more fun advice. You have stuck your nose in a book and worked so hard during high school but you need to get out there and have some fun! College is not the time to explore and party like so many people say. You need to have some fun with friends now and explore new places, situations and emotions while you're still in high school or right out of high school so that when you get to college and you realize it's difficult and requires tons of study time, you're not wishing you had experienced more before you got there. Lastly, have a blast. Say yes when friends ask you to go on an adventure and stay true to your hearts desire... it will lead you in the right direction.

The worst thing is how many classes are being cut. The school keeps raising tuition and cutting programs and classes which limits what a person can accomplish at the school. The school does not offer a nursing program, law degree program or medical program.

Some one that does not mind cold, overcast weather and a lot of pot heads. A person that enjoys the redwoods and a more liberal idea about things.

Haley

There was a large gap between high school and when I seriously attended college. However, if I could go back to my high school self I would advise myself to stay more focused in school. Maybe if I had done better in high school I would have gone to college earlier. I am 27 and graduating with my BA in psychology and am starting my MA program this fall 2012 semester. So maybe if I could go back in time and tell myself to try harder I would be done with school and in my career at this point. I would also let myself know that college is a wonderful experience where I will learn so much more about myself and my life.

The learning experience and environment, because it has allowed me to succeed in my studies and goals.

Jessica, you are about to have the best experience of your life! Humboldt State is absolutely amazing and there are a lot of fun activities that are you going to be able to attend. Although, transitioning from living with your parents to moving out on your own will be a very difficult transition, you will be able to do it! The best advice I could give you would be to start saving money now! Humboldt State Jessica is unfortunately depending heavily on student loans. If I were able to start over again I would have applied for scholarships my freshman year in high school. Even though you are a senior you should start applying now because it will definitely make a huge impact. Do not worry, college life is very different from high school. Forget about all your insecurities as well as all the people you wish you were friends with, and start getting excited about all the awesome friends you are about to meet at Humboldt State. The most important advice I can give you is keep smiling, keep enjoying life, and continue to have fun. The semesters at HSU fly by and so does life, so enjoy it!

I wish I had known how much diversity is not present at Humboldt State university.

If someone is from a large city, ejoys the city life, and the party scene , Humboldt State is not for you!

ASHLEY

IF I COULD GO BACK IN TIME AND TALK TO MYSELF AS A HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR, I WOULD ADVISE MYSELF NOT TO WAIT. THAT IN ORDER TO SURVIVE IN THE FUTURE WITHOUT A STRUGGLE YOU NEED A COLLEGE EDUCATION. NOT ONLY TO BETTER YOUR LIFE, BUT FOR YOUR FUTURE CHILDREN WHO WILL DEPEND ON YOU. YOU CAN DO IT AT NIGHT,DURING THE DAY, ONLINE, AT YOUR OWN PACE ITS UP TO WHAT OWRKS BEST FOR YOU. THEN EXPLAIN THAT LIFE IS ABOUT DECISIONS AND HOW IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE THE CORRECT ONE FOR YOU. I WOULD ALSO PUSH MYSELF TO EXCEED MY GOALS, AND ENCOURAGE THAT ONLY THE BEST WILL COME OF IT. LASTLY EXPLAIN THE BENIFITS.... HOW THEY WILL LEAD TO BETTER OPPURTUNITIES IN LIFE. YOU WANT A CAREER YOU WILL LOVE AND ENJOY, MAKING GREAT MONEY.... NOT A JOB THAT WILL BRING MISERY WITH AN EXTREMELY LOW INCOME.

christopher

Humboldt State is a University where students can further their education in a field they are actually emotionally interested in.

The students are of a wide variety of individuals, driven to further their academic career.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college life, I would tell myself to begin saving money and preparing for a better education. I would encourage myself to be even more frugal with my money and to search out any means of financial help. I would also tell myself to commit to school and continue to get good grades. However, as far as the transition goes, I would not warn myself of anything. The experience has been one of the better experiences of my life and I would not want to spoil it for myself; rather allow for myself to find out first hand, as I really did. The only struggles I have had with college life have been financial, the rest of my experiences have been rewarding and intriguing.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.