Illinois Central College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Illinois Central College

hannah

Very good school for its price. Most classes transfer over to other schools. The cheapest and smartest option in the area. The sports could be better. Library and study rooms are amazing. Funds are used well in this school. Decent food, it could be better.

Annalee

I like it. I'm here to learn and I can do just that! This college is a great community college for someone like me--a worker. I have time to schedule my classes around the time I work and because of that, I'll be able to change job fields. Their flexibility makes me a successful student.

Sierra

I like Illinois Central College it’s easy to learn it’s a safe place to be and fun to go to with amizing people there that will take their time to make sure every one is getting the education they need, or even if someone get’s lost people will help get them to the destination they need to go. I hope to go back soon for my Associates in business and managment.

Nursing

Illinois central college is one of the best nursing colleges in Illinois state with good academic foundations.

Krista

Illinois Central College is an excellent community college, while it isn't everyone's first choice it was an excellent choice for me. Their Graphic Design program is amazing and offers many valuable opportunities. I also can appreciate the diversity and low costs. Overall it is an excellent stepping stone before transferring to a university.

Hunter

I think its good college to start at. I dont know if good to get a degree at, but its better to start here!

First, please understand the type of student I am, then understand the type of college Illinois Central College is. Briefly, I began college directly after high school, back in 2008, not knowing exactly what I wanted to be. As for the college, ICC is an affordable, and close community college in terms of my proximity. At the time, it was a default choice. Having the stand-off attitude of a teenager, the college was under my direct scrutiny, but it never gave me reason to dislike the place. But after only two semesters, I needed time off for classes due to finances and other reasons. One teacher especially had reached out to me when he heard I wouldn’t be back for a while, saying it was sad to see me, and my talent, leaving the college. After about an eight year break, I finally returned, more than ready for a serious college career in preparation for my future. It was easy returning to the college, easy to make friends, and easy to find "my way". The teacher who had reached out to me in my first attendance, was still there teaching and making such a positive difference with the students and campus, that I was happy to have him again for several classes. He remembered who I was the moment I reconnected with my courses. This and other things about the college made me, as a student, feel very special, confident and welcome. In my time at ICC, seeing through more mature eyes, I can appreciate the many beneficial opportunities, the great teachers, and wonderful environment the college offers its students. For example (and I’ll name many) ICC provides free and affordable opportunities for students to gain help in their studies. There are learning labs, tutors for all subjects, study sessions, a large library, and computer stations with free internet access throughout the school. So there are many opportunities for students who may not have a home computer, or may need extra help in their grades to stay caught up in their classes. The teachers are always accessible, and willing to help their students, or just meet with them for good conversation. Many times I needed to visit a teacher about questions or difficulty in a course, and I’ve always found help, whomever I needed to meet with. The college is clean and organized as well, owing a great deal to the maintenance staff, who are also engaging to talk with. ICC has a campus cafe and cafeteria, where the food is always delicious and affordable. There are many comfortable places across campus for students to lounge while waiting for a class, to socialize with friends, or find a private area for studying. There are many activities, sports, and clubs for students (the school really wants to see students get involved with their college). And the school is physically accessible for students who may have disabilities or a disadvantage. ICC also reaches out to a wide demographic of students, including those internationally. This to me is a very cool experience, because I don’t have opportunities to travel, but they do. Some friends I’ve made include girls from Africa, or brothers from Brazil. I get to hear about their stories traveling internationally, and what it’s like being in our country and at our school, which I’ve always received, and heard, positive reports. They also bring with them stories and examples of their cultures, language, and customs which they share with us. I’m in my third and final year upon returning to the campus, as a non-traditional student working to pay for college expenses (financial aid has helped tremendously). I’ve had to utilize ICC's weekend, online, and even night courses at times just so I could work in the day and make enough money to afford my apartment. That was tough, but well worth it, and I can’t name any time when ICC was ever a hinderance for me. In my last year, I was even offered and accepted into a student graphic designer position within the school, which will look great on a resume and transcript. I’m excited to move on to the next school for my Bachelor’s degree, and owing much to ICC for making my transition secure and easy. Much of my appreciation and success is due to the high confidence our instructors have for their students, in particular, my instructor in the graphic design department. He has made sure we know that information concerning our career field, the transfer process, all of it, is accessible through him or the school whenever we need it. I’ve learned a lot about my career choice, college selection, and the transfer process in our field just by meetings with and obtaining research advice from him, and feel more secure about my future than I had before. Many four-year colleges I’ve met with recently, have said our students are always well prepared when we move on to their schools. Visiting ICC Alumni say that we are very lucky for what ICC has to offer us compared to other colleges they’ve been to see. All of this makes Illinois Central College a great college for students who start out, or need to return to college after high school (like me) because there, you are secure, confident, and welcomed.

It's a great place to learn, especially if you don't know what you want to major in yet. Most of the professors are kind and care about how well you perform in their classes. You don't have to socialize if you don't want to - most students are there just for learning, not socializing.

Cassandra

Illinois Central College was a great two year school. The campus is quite beautiful, and the teachers worked well with students. The teachers kept fairly open office hours and were always willing to spend time with students when they had questions. I really liked how the students were always active in activities around the school.

Victoria

ICC is definitely more of a 2 year institution than a 4 year college or university, although it is still a great place to learn. It has a much better price compared to many other local colleges and the instructors are there to see you succeed. Most everybody attending is there to learn. Most are typically willing to help or form a study group to get you both through a tough class.

Jazmine

i like it there small school but big enough to meet new people. classes are not that big so you have that teacher student relationship. teachers are nice always wiling to help you. have a lot of programs to get the students involved. also have programs to help students get into a 4-year college

Kelly

I love the people I met! However, the organization at this college is not very good at all. I lived on campus and loved it because I met a lot of people! In general education classes, it is very unlikely that you will make a friend, however, I always knew at least one person in my classes.

Dominique

I feel that ICC is one of the diamonds most people don't realize when it comes to education. The classes are extremely affordable and the teachers are always so involved in the not just teaching but also helping the students grow into adults. I've had teachers answers tax questions and personal issue questions. All around amazing experience.

Illinois Central College is a two-year community college that helped me save money due to the cheap classes they provide. The campuses are clean and spacious making places like the library perfect for studying or working on projects. Campuses are spread out though so it will take some distance reaching one campus to the next. Classes are relatively cheap and are available in the mornings, evenings, and are even provided online making class schedules flexible for the student. There are a variety of programs so that students can explore the variety of majors they could take in the future. Teachers and staff are friendly and will offer any assistance to help a student reach their goal. However, the staff can sometimes be unreliable when answering questions or give information so students needs to look out for that. Getting help online can be extremely difficult considering some instructors take time answering questions by email and sometimes won't respond to it at all. Overall, if you're a student that lives in Illinois and aren’t sure about your major, or are looking for cheap classes to get general eds out of the way I highly recommend ICC.

Karah

Illinois Central College is not just a community college but a great college that is committed to the success of their students. Starting college can be scary but through the advisory staff and guidance counselors, they made the process an easy transition. There are many opportunities to learn about possible majors and programs that one may be interested in. I have truly enjoyed my time working with ICC and cannot wait to take more classes there this coming fall.

TAJANAE

ICC is a good school to intend if you feel you aren't ready to attend a university. At ICC you are able to take your time, and go at your pace. The classes are perfect for me, it's not to many people, and the teachers are always available, their willing to meet with you before, during, and after class. And all of the counselors have a main goal of setting their students up for graduation.

Victoria

There are tons of different resources to help you complete your schooling at Illinois Central College. CAB (Campus Activity Board) always has some fun events planned for students to get engaged. Mostly everyone in campus housing knows each other. Their athletics teams are pretty good too.

sophia

I love that they offer a two year program for my intended major. I am in the dental hygiene program and I only need an associates degree. By going to Illinois Central College, I can afford my education and get the degrees that I need. I also love the class sizes and the teachers are friendly and are always there to help when needed.

Luke

I was glad to have the opportunity to do a dual credit class while I was still in high school, so I actually began college in high school. I have had the opportunity to have some really great teachers, and some that were good teachers but hard to understand. Scheduling has been an issue for my degree. I am moving on to an University and overall I feel prepared

Surayyah

When I first got to ICC, I was really nervous I would't fit in very well. But I was so wrong. The campus is beautiful, and the staff is /so/ warming and welcoming, it's my second home. The classmates are super nice and outgoing, and the professors are phenomenal. The campus is very safe, and the officers, and staff/professors, are very avid about ensuring safety and comfort on campus. I love the class sizes, as the teacher to student ratio is amazing! There, it's okay to make mistakes. There are so many people and services to help get you back on track and keep you motivated to success. I could go on and on!

Kelsey

It's one of those schools where you get out what you put in. There are both great and not so great professors, but the ones that are helpful will go out of their way to help you succeed. The advisors seem to not keep up with current information and the courses needed to complete your degree. You need to do a lot of your own work to make sure that you are on track to graduate. Overall though, I recommend it if you're unsure of what you want to do or if you know the exact school you wish to transfer to. It's cheap and if you do your research on the professors you will have a great experience.

Janet

Illinois Central College is a well known 2 year institution in Peoria, Illinois. It is in a very safe environment, has great and affordable food, and the academics diversity are excellent. The professors and tutors are wonderful and always ready for you when you need help. I am in my second year in this school and I am getting ready to transfer. I truly enjoyed attending this school .

Olivia

Illinois Central College has given me the opportunity to advance in my academic life. I have learned a lot about college life and how to become a better student. I would like to get my bachelors in Business and be able to own and manage my own business. ICC has given me the opportunity to explore new topics in business. My teachers and counselors​ have guided me to further my education by encouraging me to pursue my bachelors. However, I would like to complete my four-year degree at another college.

This College is the best community College that I have visited, I will be attending here. I love how everything is all together, it feels like home. I am excited to be able to gain a relationship with the students. I love the size of the school because it will make it easier for the teachers to help you in a time of need.

Alondra

Illinois Central College is so much more than one thinks. The faculty are so caring and passionate for the success of their students. The environment is positive and encouraging. One leaves more successful and better prepared than a freshman at a four-year institution. With an array of scholarships, financial aid, and opportunities, I would recommend ICC to anyone.

Cammie

My overall opinion on Illinois Central College is that it is a very nice and convenient college for students who are coming out of high school not knowing what they were wanting to do. When I graduated high school I was undeceive on what I wanted to do so I knew that going to ICC was the best option for me. Not only did I save money by attending a community college but I got certain classes out of the way and learned that I wanted to be a Child Life Specialist. Although, ICC did not have the major I was seeking, I was still able to take classes that would count and transfer when I go on to attend Illinois State University in Fall of 2020. I love the connivence of the small classrooms and I love how close everything is to each other. Going to ICC saved me lots of money and steered me in the right path of what I wanted to major in.

ICC is not too big and allows a more personal connection with the teachers while also providing many opportunities for the students to get involved. So much of the staff and teachers actually care about the student's well being and in helping them succeed.

Natasha

My overall opinion of Illinois Central College is that it served its purpose. I was unsure of what major I wanted to strive for so I decided to do two years here and transfer later. The professors I had were helpful and explained the course at a good pace. Even if a student still was having trouble they still could request help by signing up for a tutor. ICC cares about their students by making sure they reach their goals and have plenty of opportunities to participate in activities.

Catarina

The college is very good for the affordable cost. The college could use more was to get the students involved in the community and college as a collective. The college could also use more ways to help with the stress and anxiety of the students during finals week. I do have to say that there is a week of fun activities that I do enjoy but I wish there were more weeks like it.

J'Lyssia

The college I attend is Illinois Central College. I personally like Illinois Central College (ICC). It's not a big university or anything it's a community college. I know a lot of people that skipped community college and went to a university and dropped out because they didn't have the right support or money to help them survive. One thing I like about ICC is our health career programs and in our programs you can do different jobs that works in the medical field. A few examples of thing you can be a is an CNA (certified nursing assistant), an RN (registered nurse), Massage therapist, Physical therapist, Dental hygienist, EMT, Medical assistant, Radiography, etc. We also can transfer credits over like once you exceed the max education they have to offer you can transfer over to a university and further your education. Our college also have sport teams and dorm rooms like any other college. We have a Cafe that we can buy either hot or cold food from, sometimes our culinary team brings food over for us to try and purchase. Another thing about the community college is you're going to school from your hometown. So like if you just graduate high school and don't have to relocate or find a new job out of town or make your parents sad because you're leaving. It's a great way to save money! Our school also have a free library with computers and internet access to help us study. Our school also have free tutors that helps us with all different subjects. We also have a bookstore that sell gas station cards, scrubs, laptops, school supplies, like anything your required to have or need will be there! Our school try their best for us, the students, to succeed and be comfortable while doing so.

Gregory

It is a very good college with challenging teachers. I took Biology Human anatomy and physiology at the ICC along with Microbiology. I wasn’t very good at just using the textbook as a study resource. Instead I was introduced to many different online services and even some teachers had a “study only what I write on the white board” guideline and all these helped me keep a path of success at Illinois Central College.