J Sargeant Reynolds Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for J Sargeant Reynolds Community College

cecily

Reynolds is a great place to start. Cheap, fully accredited education with three convenient locations. It's not quite the monster that VCU is, but you are paying a fraction of the price. There are events organized by Student Life that you can be involved in, the students are fairly diverse, and so far, all of my professors are pretty approachable. I would say that the cons would be in administration. (I'm at the Parham Road Campus) It is a nightmare to get anything done in admissions, financial aid, or the business office. I'm not sure if they're incompetent or they just don't care, but the amount of effort to do anything is ridiculous. Also, the campus police are very inactive. I feel safe on campus, but not because of the campus police. They don't even patrol.

carrie

The advisers are generally helpful. The professors are nice and some can teach. The staff in admissions and billing and some other areas are horrible. We are always fighting for loans and financial aid and no one knows what they are doing. It is always a struggle in the process of any sort of aid.

I am a fan of the class sizes and how nice the professors are. I have lived in this area my whole life so the atmosphere is nothing special to me. The food on campus is growing at the moment. They are adding food trucks to certain days of the week and I actually think that is pretty cool. Overall, J. Sarge has done me well and I would recommend it to anyone.

Noah

J Sergeant Reynolds is what you would expect from a community college. Its rather small, you go mainly to receive affordable education and obtain an associates in order to transfer to a University. Typically I don't spend any time on the campus unless I'm there for class. The social life isn't to great either.

Susie

Reynolds is a good community college, using ratemyprofessor will always get you a great professor. They're always ready to help and there is free 2 hour tutoring available. Since its a community college there are people of all ages dong different programs at their own pace so it may be difficult to make friends. But they do offer plenty of clubs to join and academic opportunities.

Stacey

I am currently a student at Reynolds Community College, and I have been taking courses there for over a year. They have a great business program, which is what I am enrolled in. I take the majority of my classes online, so my experiences with the school are different than that of someone that takes classes on campus. The curriculum is always very current and relevant to the subjects covered in the courses. The professors try to keep the cost of the textbooks down as much as possible by not changing the required materials for their classes every time a publisher revises a textbook that they are using, which can be very expensive if they did this every school year. The only complaint I have about my school is that fact that they do have a couple of professors that should not still be teaching at the school, due to the excessive amount of negative and very unhappy student reviews that have been made about them. I'm talking 10-12 years of students constantly complaining about the same instructors every year, and after every semester that they had to deal with these awful teachers. Something needs to be done about these teachers because it leaves a lot of students with bad tastes in their mouths and they tend to look at the school in a different way. At the end of every semester students are given the opportunity to honestly review their instructors, and when the school doesn't take these assessments seriously or do anything about the problem, it tells the student that their opinions really don't matter and that there is no point in doing them, unless it is to compliment and give credit to the really awesome instructors that the school does have. Other than that, I am happy with my choice of attending Reynolds and being part of their Business program.

Juwan

The college isn't bad but it can use better education practices to help students succeed. As i'm sure for most colleges that English Composition is required but students who are more math and/or design based should be able to just take classes most relevant to their major.

Lucas

I thought it would be wise to go here first since I didn't know what I wanted to do. I quickly figured kinda what I strive for in life and now feel stuck here at a college where I am not intellectually challenged at all. Things may get harder but really only if I seek it out.

Kevasia

I would recommend Reynolds to anyone! It's a great school with excellent staff. Community College is a great option if you are trying to save money and still get a quality education. Also it is an easy way to get your GPA up in a short time. I have been here for almost 2 years now and I absolutely love it.

Meghan

I don't mind it for being a Community College. Often many complaints are about the people who work there such as the lack of compassion in the Financial Aid offices and advising. I have done decent at this school in preparation for transferring. Wish I could be doing better. Not an entirely passionate school.

Reynolds is a good, standard community college. It has wonderful facilities that ensure any student of any background could succeed in their academic goals. The students are friendly and active in on-campus groups and clubs, and the professors are professional and good teachers. I'd recommend this school to any Richmond student.

Emma

I have been taking classes with J Sargeant Reynolds for about two years now. I am from the Richmond area and wanted to save money instead of going to a four year university right away, and J Sargeant Reynolds was a great option for that. Many of my friends who currently attend a four year university always try to explain to me how J Sargeant Reynolds is not an actual college. I will admit, I don't like the fact that I can't live in a dorm with a roommate and meet a lot of people. However, J Sargeant Reynolds is not a bad college. Most of the professors that I have had are remarkably kind and will do their very best to help you. To me, that's what is most important.

Autumn

It's a great, affordable, accessible way to get a quality education around my work schedule. There's a great library with study areas, places to eat nearby, places to hang out on campus, and you don't have to go into a ton of college debt/ student loan debt to get a quality education here.

Victoria

This is a really good college overall. The teachers at Sarge are very welcoming. They really want you to succeed and it shows in how they help their students. I am thankful for the many opportunities that the school gives me. I have the ability to transfer to a four year university after I finish two years at Sarge.

Matthew

It is a decent community college, good for saving money. But you have to do a bit of work to make it through, sometimes teaching yourself the info. Some professors are better than others, but that is like anywhere you go. There is not much to do around campus.

Tyiesha

This school is a community college , so you won't get much of a campus feel out of it. There are slot of activities going on sometime. But being a commuter from hours away. I just go to class and come back home. The professors are great ( if you pick the right ones) they'll help you out!

This is my first year at Reynolds and I love every second of it. I've had the best professors, classes, and classmates. The teachers really care about their students and have a passion for teaching. I enjoy getting to campus early to hang out and studying after my classes. The campus is clean, the rooms are quiet, and I love the small class sizes.

John

The campus of Reynolds Community College is wonderful. Waiting in lines to get a task done or speak with a specific department is not a problem if you arrive at the right time. Also, student life outside of class is enjoyable as there are many events planned for students to participate in.

Jacob

This is my first semester at J Sargeant Reynolds Community College and it has been a great first semester. The teachers are great and they are always available to talk to. The campus is great for a community college. The class sizes are great because you can actually ask a question directly to the teacher and not have 1,000 eyes staring at you. The friends I have met here are amazing, they push me to do well in school and always have a positive attitude. It is great going here because you have many different opportunities to look at to further your career. There is no other place I'd rather be than J Sargeant Reynolds Community College.

Brenda

J sarge is extremely boring. The food offered is not the best for health or taste. Although I really enjoy the new cafe built in the fall. I don't like to sit in the lounge areas because I feel like I don't know anyone but yet everyone else knows them.

It is a good starter school for someone that is not ready for a big university and/or does not have the money to start at a university. For the most part the teachers all seem to care about the students and their progress and achieving their goals. The counselors are also very helpful, whether they are trying to help you with financial aid or classes.

Marcela

I studied at J Sergeant Reynolds Community College for two and a half years. I started my journey there in 2014 and finished in 2016. I took 66 credit hours there are earned an Associate's Science degree last December. I was mostly very pleased with my professors, the classes were always a good size, and they had a big variety of classes to choose from. I was mostly satisfied with my experience at Reynolds. I would definitely recommend it!

Jhanee

It is a great school that allows students to make an awesome transition from High school to college. The professors are always willing to help and I really enjoy it. The campus is always clean and the staff are very kind. The food that is available nearby is great and not too expensive.

Maison

I am not officially a student yet. I am an upcoming first year this fall. I do not feel they are putting much interest in the first year students. They have not even offered me a chance to tour the campus. Admissions is saying, "wait till you graduate and get your transcripts in." ... We will be happy to sit down and talk to you about your next journey in life, when you have sent us those final grades." I take my academics very serious, and my grades would not have faltered in the last two months of school. I do not feel special or even appreciated, even though I have a high GPA. I guess my record and community spirit is not good enough to get them excited about me yet. Well they are missing the boat here. I may not go here, for I have another school highly motivated to meet me. We will see.

Khalil

Even though it's a community college it's a very good school for me. its really prepared me to the college life and I'm getting well accommodated to the traveling that students have to do. Everyone is also extremely helpful and professors go out their way to help students. And it's very affordable for me and numerous others.

hannah

this community college is a great place to start! You can earn lots of general credits that can transfer to bigger colleges or universities. If you live in the Richmond area, this is a fantastic place to be! The classes are relatively easy and the professors are great in assisting you and offering extra help! I highly recommend this community college!

J Sargeant Reynolds Community College is a great place to begin your start to college. It is affordable, accessible and far nicer than other community colleges. The Professors genuinely care about your education and will help you on their time. The facilities are very nice and continue to grow each year.

Brandon

I've been a student at Reynolds' Community College for 3 semesters it's an overall good school. I've made a lot of friends and associates who I can list as good references. At J Sarg. classes are short and the lesson plan is at a fast pace in some cases can be very tedious but hard work pays off and material is accurate.

Anna

The college overall is satisfactory. It is located in Richmond, which is getting a lot of national attention as a whole as a great city. The school is very diverse, and also cost effective. There is dining very close to campus from food trucks and restaurants within walking distance and some within 10 minutes. There is ample transportation options as well.

Katie

The teachers are not consistent, staff is not friendly and very rude.

Jazmyn

I honestly feel as if the faculty is not properly trained considering I have had many issues with the administration offices. I was behind a semester due to the inconsistency of the advising team. Some of the professors are very passionate about teaching but many are the opposite. There are lot of clubs and activities to do so I have no complaints about things like that. But when it comes down to my education I am hesitate to say I'm satisfied with the delivery.

Emma

It's affordable, friendly enough, small, and very basic. It's a transition from highschool to a four year university. It's not a place many want to stay too long, but it does it's job well. Classes aren't too difficult. Most of the staff are kind and helpful when you take the time to reach out.