Kirkwood Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Kirkwood Community College

Paige

Kirkwood Community College has several locations that span across Iowa to serve thousands of students, with the main campus in Cedar Rapids. Overall, of my experience at the main campus, I think that the professors are very knowledgeable in their areas of study, and they keep regular office hours to serve their students. Communication between students and professors is strong as you can reach them by email or phone, with a short turnaround time for a response. My advisor has also been a great resource for helping me stay on track for when I transfer to another university, making sure I take the right courses for my major. Kirkwood Community College also offers great options for students, as you can either enroll in a two year program leading to a career or to take classes that will transfer to onto another college or university.

Jacob

Kirkwood has made it extremely easy and efficient for a new college student to have all the resources and information I would need to know, right at my finger tips. Along the way the counselors and staff have been extremely helpful with answering all my questions that have came up and taken the time to walk me through everything I need to know.

Danielle

It is a great school not only for vocational programs but for people who plan to transfer to a university. The classrooms are small which allows the students and professors to learn about one another. There are many opportunities outside of class to be involved in the community, but also to get tutoring if necessary.

Kari

Kirkwood is a great college to start at and has a variety of programs. Kirkwood has a lot of events to get involved in and to meet new people.

Courtney

The nursing program had some rely great professors and some really really not great professors. The Dean was apathetic, at best, but it is a good way to save money on a four year degree.

Isabel

I attend the Iowa City campus of Kirkwood, and so far, it’s been a great experience. It is mostly divided between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, with the science/trade mostly in the former and the liberal arts mostly in the latter. There are also other satellite campuses around Eastern Iowa, which makes it easy for Iowa residents to get access. This unfortunately can be an issue if you’re not sure about whether you want an AA or AS, and some classes/concentrations aren’t available at one but rather the other. I do believe the “bare bones” gen ed courses are available at both for either. Firstly, the advisors are wonderful. Any concern one may have is quickly addressed, and nobody is cold or uncaring to you. There’s free help and tutoring for multiple subjects. They’ll even help you with housing, getting a job, or finding the best place to shop for groceries in town. The IC campus is very close to the University of Iowa, which is both a blessing and a curse. I don’t have to worry about housing, as I live with my family, but housing for students is readily available due to the large influence of the uni. There’s no on-campus housing at the IC campus, but the college seems willing to help with that. Another great advantage of the UoI’s proximity is their partnerships with Kirkwood. There are multiple uni classes you can take for community college price, and even uni advisors available for career and college help. It really makes me feel like I get way more than I pay for! One bad thing about the UoI – it has a huge party culture, which involves a lot of drinking. Luckily, it does not seep into Kirkwood very much. One of the top reasons to attend a community college is its lower price, and Kirkwood is no exception to this. Paying $5000 a semester for tuition/books is wonderful when most colleges are 10x that amount. The financial advisors are great and will work with you so you don’t suffer from predatory loans and whatnot. The college also gives out a large amount of scholarships, which you can easily access. The professors and classes are top-notch quality at Kirkwood. I’ve always been told that community college professors are better than regular uni professors, but it’s really true at Kirkwood. Professors are always so willing to really, truly teach students. They have regular office hours. I’ve never encountered any “cruel” professors- some may be hard on you, but in the end all of them are so very passionate about their subject matter, and they actually want to help. Class sizes are always smaller than even high school classes, which makes it that much better. You don’t feel like another face in the crowd here. The class scheduling is great here! There are lots of classes scheduled in the evening and a large amount of courses you can just take online. Another fantastic thing about Kirkwood is its diversity. This college really wants students to feel as though they are apart of a community, whether they are non-traditional or straight out of high school, international or in-state, full-time or part-time. The school prides itself on how many different types of students it has, and does not tolerate any kind of bullying against anyone, which is lovely to see. One really feels safe here. Sadly, arts and sports aren’t too terribly big at the school, nor are there a lot of clubs. The advisors will help you get involved in the community if you so wish, but the school doesn’t have too much to offer on that front. One other thing, because I don’t want to end on a bad note – the community college is #3 nationwide for study abroad. This was so great for me to hear because I want to work in foreign languages, and I love travel anyways. There is such a plethora of programs to choose from, and the college is really willing to help you get out and travel if you’re interested! All in all, Kirkwood is a good choice if you’re looking for smaller classes, cheaper tuition, an accepting place for a diverse group, and wonderful teachers. Hopefully this review helped if you’re considering!

MacKenzie

love the schol

Summer

It has been a great institution to restart my life gearing towards higher education. They are extremely helpful and if someone helping me doesn't know an answer , they go out of their way to find someone who does know. It's been the first time I've felt in academia that the faculty are actually interested in helping me become better and help me pave the way to get to my next goal.

Sam

I think Kirkwood is a good place for people without a whole lot of academic drive, it's really a repeat of high school and won't challenge someone who is in the top 50% of their class in high school. That being said it is inexpensive and can basically be considered a gap year for students while they still get their associates degree at the same time.

Nash

I love Kirkwood on its educational standpoint. It's a great environment to learn and have fun in. The teachers are great to be around and they help you whenever needed. I do not like the social aspect of It because everyone has friends from high school they still hang out with.

Genesis

I think Kirkwood is the best place to start your college journey. The class sizes aren’t too small and they aren’t too big. The teachers really do interact with every student and makes us feel like we are getting the right education. I have the right resources being at Kirkwood and I feel safe being there.

Maggie

Kirkwood Community College in Iowa City is a wonderful college to start off at when you are fresh out of high school and you do not know what degree you are interested in. I came out of high school not knowing what I wanted to be. I started off thinking a zookeeper then moved on to thinking a vet tech. But I ended up changing my mind and staying undecided. Kirkwood really helped me through all of that. They are very affordable. I was able to go to this college without taking out a single loan the entire three years I went here. This made it a great place to start, especially if you planned on transferring to another college later down the road. Along with being affordable, the professors and classes are wonderful. They are very personable, easy to get a hold of outside of class, and eager to help you. Many of them made subjects I did not enjoy very much very enjoyable and helped me learn many things that still stick with me today. It was very easy to get a good grade even in the hardest of classes due to the professors. As long as you stayed in contact with them, asked questions, and attended class you would get a good grade. Now onto the things that were not so great at this college. The way they handled transferring was a problem. If you wanted to transfer to the University of Iowa which is very close by this location, they would be able to help you with no problem at all. But once it came to transferring to Iowa State, which is where I was going, they would not be able to help you at all. All I was given was the website and a number to call and was told they had no idea past that what I was supposed to do. I had to figure out all of the transferring requirements by going on a campus visit to Iowa State. Another thing that was bad with this college campus was the parking. This college is quickly outgrowing its location and that is showing not only in the crowded building but the parking lot as well. Most days if I wouldn't get there early enough there would be no parking for me so I would have to park in the mall parking lot across from the campus. I live almost thirty minutes away from this campus and having to get there and waste time looking for parking due to there being none is a really big problem. They need to expand their campus if they are going to keep accepting new students, and that needs to happen soon. Overall, I had an okay experience at Kirkwood Community College. The professors, price, and classes really made the experience worthwhile. But they need to work on expanding the campus and the way the handle transferring, especially to colleges and universities other than the University of Iowa.

Brooke

I think that the school, the teachers, facilities, and academics are very nice. I would just prefer to be living in a dorm instead of an apartment and I would also like more chances to meet new people. I also wish that there were more activities to do with groups of people so that meeting new people would be easier.

Courtney

Kirkwood community college is a wonderful place to go, whether going for school or just to visit. The town of Cedar Rapids offers a wonderful atmosphere to be in, and there is plenty to do and keep you busy. The campus is beautiful, even though it isn't as big as Iowa or Iowa State because it is a community college, it is still beautiful, modern, and safe for everyone there.

Savannah

I really enjoy Kirkwood. The campus is organized well, people are friendly, and the professors are great (for the most part). I feel like the professors are really good at working with you, really care about your education, and they are good about being lenient if need be. I like coming to classes, and I don't have any trouble feeling un safe. The students here are very into clubs, sports and other extra curricular activities. It makes people feel welcome when there is a lot to choose from to be a part of. Go Eagles!

Meg

I am currently a senior in High School and my opinion of Kirkwood is home. I feel like I'm home every time I visit Kirkwood. I love the people when I walk around, they are by far the most talkative students/ teachers at any college I've visited. The campus is easy to get around and the help desks are always there to help when you lose your way. I am so excited to be a student next year at Kirkwood and I couldn't imagine a better home.

Dominique

Kirkwood Community College is very different, it’s like a family. Everyone I have met there is friendly and always willing to help, something that I love is knowing I have somewhere or someone to go to when it can get a bit overwhelming. Our professors are brilliant and just as good as any university, some even teach at other universities. There are so many ways to get involved and meet others with the same interests or have someone hear your voice, your opinion. I’m not just another fish in the sea to this college, I’m apart of it now.

Emma

I love Kirkwood. The professors are great and it is a welcoming environment. The college is small and like the professor/student ratio. The professors are always available to help me if I need it. I have taken both traditional classroom and on-line courses. I have enjoyed both.

Beckie

Kirkwood is a wonderful school that fulfills the need of A.A. and A.S. Degrees, all the way to the specialized programs and Vocational Certificates. I myself, just changed my major to the Floral Degree Program that begins Fall 2017. This program is one of the best Floral Design Programs in the state of Iowa! For the cost of the entire year to obtain my certificate, is the cost of one 6 week Design School (for design basics only). Kirkwood is truly the real value for your money.

Natalie

Overall, Kirkwood seems like a good college. Although there are some flaws, like there is no on campus living, it is appealing because the student is learning how to be on his or her own while going to school. This gives the student a chance to see what it will be like to live on one's own instead of relying on campus food or family for things.

Angey

Kirkwood is an overall great growing Community College. It is a good start for someone who is not 100% sure what they want to go into. Kirkwood has a wide range of classes that can help many in deciding on a major. For me, Kirkwood is a good choice because it is close to home, it will help me transfer to a four-year University and has that intimate classroom experience that most Universities do not have.

Jeana

As a high schooler, I have taken online dual credit courses through Kirkwood. It is great that they offer these courses to high schoolers, as it helps cut down on future college costs, even if you go to a 4-year college straight out of high school. So far, the professors that I have had have been extremely helpful and responsive to emails when I asked questions. Since I am an online student, I cannot speak for the campus experience.

Shalee

While attending I met some really great professors. Some go above and beyond to make sure they are available for their students to make sure they succeed. There are other professors that are only available at certain times during the day and if you have classes back-to-back it is really hard to meet with them. The college is very diverse, there is a high population of refugee students. This provides many different views when having class discussions. The best part for students wanting to transfer to a college in state, your credits transfer pretty easily. If you are wanting to transfer to a university getting your credits to transfer is a bit more difficult, some don't transfer over correctly.

Some of the professors go out of their way to help you succeed, while others seem too busy. I feel like the nursing program has a political agenda and can make it difficult for students to do well because the bar is set almost too high for the majority of students.

Angela

Fantastic , there is a wide variety of career programs as well as transfer programs. The staff is always ready and willing to help the students achieve their goals. It is very important to Kirkwood tonhave high graduation statistics and they strive for excellency.

justin

Due to Covid-19, all classes are moved to an online format, I understand this is not their fault and is a perfectly normal thing to do. However, I am still being charged full physical class price for science classes that now consist of 1/2 instructor-made youtube videos (Explaining a power point presentation) and 1/2 of youtube videos just found around. And labs? Its ok, I don't need to learn and practice how to use equipment when there is a 7 year old youtube video posted by a different university doing a different experiment. I could literally could get the same quality education for free using khan acadamy and some online practice problems. All I want is a discount, in return for a product that is not as advertised, but that is too much for them to handle.

Winner

DEcent

Sheena

It was intimidating to go back to school after a 15 year absence but both the students and staff have been incredibly welcoming. Classes are challenging enough to impact your perceptions but not so hard that they are impossible to pass. Classes are fairly small so the professors are able to be a little more hands on with their students and are willing to help you succeed if you are struggling.