Beaumont, TX
Lamar University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lamar University

Kimberly

Lamar university is a fun, yet loving enviroment, many will learn and grow for the positive while attending this university.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school i would have a mouthful to tell myself. I would warn myself about not spending the money i made working and actually saving it for things other than clothes and going out with my friends. I would tell myself to lose the senioritis and actually apply myself to the best of my abilities. I would tell myself to lose my friends becasue they will get me off track and try to bring me down in the future. I would also tell myself that college is fun, but it also isn't easy. It is what i make it out to be.

Anyone could and should attend this university. It is a very open minded and liberal place. One will not be looked down upon or judged for any particaular reason.

Alicia

My school is the perfect size because everything is in walking distance, there are people of all ages, races, and economic backgrounds here, and you honestly learn stuff in class.

The students are so diverse and friendly, and there isn't as much competition like in high school because everyone is aiming for the same thing: graduating from college.

Dear Alicia, In a few months you'll drive onto Lamar University's campus and you will be overwhelmed with the feeling of accomplishment. You?ll walk into your dorm and you?ll have a glimpse of what freedom is. As your family says their goodbyes, you?ll be okay because you know that you?re going to see them again. Now, class is going to be something brand new to you. The class sizes will be bigger, but don?t be afraid to raise your hand and ask questions! If you ever see yourself not doing well in a class, use your professors? office hours. Beware of the boys, which, by the way, don?t like being called ?boys? any more. They?ll tell you anything you want to hear. Whatever you decide to do Alicia, don?t give up. Keep reach and keep trying and keep striving for me. The sky isn?t the limit because there are footprints on the moon. Love, Alicia

Mary

Our school is unique in that we have the main Lamar campus and the institute of Technology right across the street. It is a big enough school to have really nice things, but it is small enough that we have good personal relationships with our professors and the class gets to know each other throughout the semester.

I would definitely have taken the first two years of my high school career more seriously. I would have researched more schools at an earlier time period so that I would have been more knowledgeable. I would also tell myself that once you get into college, you can't let all the extra curricular and other activities distract you from your academic work. I would also say to enjoy your time in high school and college and live life to the fullest each day, because each day that you have an opportunity to be in a great high school or college is truly a great blessing that not everyone gets to enjoy.

The kind of person who should not attend this school is a person who does not intend to try to succeed, or a person who just wants to fool around. A person that is not interested in higher education or obtaining a legit degree should probably not attend this school.

Christalon

My preparation for higher education would have started in high school; I would have taken college bound courses. I would have read more, at least 20 minutes each day. I would be more attentive, focused and prepared for class. I would set goals and follow through. I would recognize my academic weaknesses and work to improve them. I would take advantage of all available resources to assist with study and time management skills to handle course load. I would participate in study groups so that I would expand on learning in other ways. I would effectively communicate with professors to get assistance on assignments that I don't understand. I would manage my finances and control my spending better. I would also apply for all available grants and scholarships before the deadlines to help to further my education.

A person that is focused and career minded. Someone who is willing to excel in their studies.

I was frustrated by the ants that were in the dorm.

Bonnie

It's a smaller campus and the classes are not always large. The professors are friendly and are willing to work with you if you need extra help with your class. The other studens are very friendly and it's not hard to make friends. The classes are fun and challenging. They're not to easy, but they're not to hard either. The best part, is that it's close to home.

I would tell myself to prepare by studying and doing well on the entrance exams to the universities I was applying to. I would also tell myself to study more to raise my high school GPA. I would remind myself to look and apply for as many scholarships and grants as I would be allowed, as it's important. I would tell myself to not be shy in asking for help if I needed it, that the professors and other students are very friendly and will help. Don't be afraid in talking to people, because they just might end up being your friend. I would stress the point to not wait a year and then go to college, because that will be the hardest thing to catch up on. Do the assignments the professors suggest you do, because it will help you remember the information and do easier on your exams. The classes may seem tough at first, but they're not as hard as they seem. The classes are fun, and the labs are too.

The only type of person who shouldn't attend this school, is a person who doesn't want to attend a school next to a plant. There's a plant across the highway, but that's easy to ignore. Other than that, no one should not attend this scool.

Nastacia

It has a great nursing and engineering program.

It has a great nursing and engineering program.

I would make sure and research majors, and the job market to make sure there is enough opportunity. I would spend less time partying and socializing and more time studying and networking.

The nursing and engineering program, people from around the world come for that.

Tressa

Be prepared for the homework schedule, don't freak out, stay calm and you will get thru it Friends come and go make wise decisions Stay active don't sit in your room all day Eat a balance meal don't over do it Have fun, school is not all about homework and class!

That people change when they enter a new environment and meeting new people has never been a good thing for me. I do miss my close friends alot.

There's nothing worst about this school. It's always improving.

Hey, Me! I'm going to be quick about this so listen up! As you are going to college this upcoming semester, keep in mind that signing up for classes can be a hassle if you're signing up late. If you sign up early and check for what textbooks you need online, then the semester will roll by smoothly. Saving money is also a big deal for college students so quit spoiling yourself and your friends! Think about bargains and sales when holidays and birthdays come up! Get a job to earn some extra money, but don?t exhaust yourself by working too hard. You'll find out that shopping for school supplies has a second meaning when you hear the word ?textbooks.? They don?t come cheap especially when compared to free books given in public schools. Another thing, train yourself to be able to push yourself, whether it's waking up early or making the time to study with or without friends. In other words, train yourself into being flexible. And one more thing, stop distracting yourself with boys! Though I can?t say much for myself at the moment, the time will come when love happens.

I wish I had known to save more money and to not have spent so much on the little things. Discovering the importance of money has broaden my decisions on what is necessary versus what is wanted such as textbooks versus cute dresses. Now knowing the essentials of money, I'm learning to save and earn money without spending it on the wants in my life. Though money comes as an essential, there are still other more important priorities in life that must share the focus, such as family, so it's important to not become blinded by greed.

Students willing to study, attend classes, and work a job during their school years in college should attend Lamar University. Dedication from an individual is important to their success along with someone who is courageous enough to ask questions they do not understand. A person who pushes themselves every morning to wake up early or stay up an extra hour late to study, knows their sacrifices for their success. As students enroll in colleges, the significance of money grows over their years, and students must develop the ability of self-control. Their time spent at Lamar should not be wasted.

Shemia

Most of them aren't here for the right reasons!

Most of them aren't here for the right reasons!

If I could talk to myself as a senior, the main advice that I would give myself is to apply for as many scholarships and internships as possible. If I would have gone to the internship where you get to stay on a college campus for the summer and take summer classes, I wouldn't have such a hard time with the transition. With the scholarships, I would make sure that I would have filled out every one that came my way, because your first year of college is stressful as it is and trying to see how you are going to pay for school doesn't need to be added on to the stress. Another thing that is really important is to look up your professors and make sure that you don't wait until the last minute to register for classes. This year I had the worst professors? because of that. I would finally tell myself that I should always stay focus on why I'm there; it's ok to have fun, but never forget why I'm there!

The most frustrating thing about my school is dealing with the people in the financial aid office! They act like they hate when we have questions about our money. It seems that everyone has a different answer to the same exact question, so you really don't know who's telling you the right thing to do. They seem like they hate to explain themselves, and they are always quick to get an attitude with you when you say that another worker gave you a different answer to the question you ask them.

Denisha

for its excellent nursing program as well as other majors.

for its excellent nursing program as well as other majors.

if i could go back in time and redo things i wouldve taken high school more seriously instead of bs-ing my way through it because the transition from high school to college was a big awakening for me and if you're not ready for it then you're destined to fail until you start buckling down and not taking things for granted because college isnt cheap if you're paying for it out of pocket.

you only had to take the pre-requisite to get into the nursing program and then when in the program you can the basics along with your nursing classes. also i wish i would've known that the financial aid process was complicating and time consuming. As well as the campus bookstore is not the cheapest way to get books, i would prefer to get mine from online websites.

Lamar University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.