Beaumont, TX
Lamar University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lamar University

Margaret

Dear Margaret N., At the ancient age of 38, I may have some pearls of wisdom to offer, if you will listen. Your folks aren't so dumb. Listen to them and register for fall classes. I know, you want to "take a break" from studying and the whole school "thing". Being an 18 year old graduate is an aphrodisiac that tempts you to experience new horizons "your way". Regardless of what you believe , you don't know EVERYTHING. Once you find a job, start getting a paycheck, and feeling like an "adult", you start...paying bills. Yes, those things that mom and dad take care of. Then you get married, have kids, and all of a sudden, your priorities have changed. More important things, like having enough money for groceries, paying medical bills and the mortgage takes your focus off of you and your wants. So, do it now. Don't take a year off. You won't go back. And in 20 years, you'll regret that you didn't. You have a long life to live, and you are going to live with the decisions you make. Make wise ones!!! Best regards, Margaret P.

venkatasairaghunath

its a good college as per my view because of the quality of the education provided by professors such as Dr. kami Miki and Dr j. lawrence osborne in the field of computer science espicially Data minig and computer networks

those who are interested in computer networks and those to students who wanted to pusue their masters with less cost

It is university which provides best faculty for students who are interested in Data minng and computer networks,funding is also available more for the students who get the admission here

Kristen

Well Kristen, you made it this far. But, when you go to college next year, maybe you should focus more on school and meeting new people instead of working so much. After all, you have your whole life to do that! Try joining lots of extracurricular activities, and definitely don't ever skip classes! That's how you get behind and plus it doesn't give a very good impression to the teacher. Remember not to take life so seriously and try to have as much fun as you can. You won't ever get these years back, and stressing only takes the years off your life anyway. I hope you also remember not to let anything stand in your way of your goals and dreams. Don't focus too much on things you can't change; focus more on what you can control right now and everything else will take care of itself.

The location. It's located almost in downtown near a chemical plant so it smells bad and it's not very scenic.

Most likely a person with strained finances who likes a small town atmosphere and wants a degree in engineering, business, or some type of science.

Ronnesia

Take another dual credit course it's worth it in the end.

Take another dual credit course it's worth it in the end.

The worst thing would have to be the location. Lamar is kind of secluded, but thats what you expect from a college in a small town.

A student planning to attend Lamar University should be outgoing and determined to succeed.

Tawana

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I must say it would be a great deal of fun. I would have done a few things differently in preparing for my college career. The first thing I would do is stay in my counselor's office; applying for every scholarship there was and finding out all I could on entrance exams. I would have demanded more guidance from my high school counseloris. The second peice of advice I would give is to visit as many colleges/universities as possible. It is good to venture out and experience new places, people and things in life. Finally, I would have joined more civic organizations which would hav led me to participate in many volunteer activities. Volunteerig is such an important part of life, and it helps you transition into the real world. You get to see what it's like to help others or do a job and not get paid; therefore you will have a better value on life. There are things that I would advise, and things that I would have wanted to know and for that reason I had to learn by experience.

I wish I had known when I first started school that it was less expensive to buy my books online or that you could just rent the books that you know you were not going to use again!!!! Would have save lots of money!!!!

Overall it was a good school! Most important thing is to arrive to class on time because parking was not so great!

Lucy

We all enjoy the size of Lamar, that's one of the best things. It's not a teeny weeny school, but the class size ranges everywhere from 5-10 students up to 40-50. This makes it very easy for us to get to know our professors and vice versa, which is helpful when you're struggling with a certain class. The professors always make themselves available to the students for help, and when it comes to tough college classes, I can't think of anything more reassuring. The curriculum is also well-rounded; in fact, an article in the Washington Post published early in 2011 praised our "basics" portion of the standard degree plan as being more thorough and well-rounded than Harvard. Yeah, I said HARVARD. We were shocked too. As far as campus life, it's rapidly changing in a good way. I'm a grad student, and when I was an undergrad, there wasn't much going on around campus at all. Flash forward three years later, and we've got this new energy and enthusiasm that just seems to make things more fun. The football team is back, and that's a really big deal. We aren't exactly the BEST on the radar, but the spirit has caught on and it is exciting around here during football season. Kampus Korner is a restaurant within walking distance of the school, and it's now added a full bar and has bands play at least once a week. If you're 21 and you live on campus, this is a great thing. But the partying thing isn't all we've got--for Memorial Day, the Student Government Association stuck miniature American flags all over the Quad in front of the student center, and it was beautiful. Overall, the vibe around here is really positive, and I appreciate that when I'm stressed out over some tough homework. If I were to describe the school in one word, I probably couldn't. But a few that come to mind: affordable, comfortable, friendly, and very accommodating. Oh, and red.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

To be honest, because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. I grew up about 15 minutes away, and the school was an affordable choice for someone who wanted an education but wasn't sure what she wanted out of it. I entered Lamar with plans of completing my "basics" and moving on to a bigger, better school in a bigger, better town. However, I chose to STAY at this school for several reasons. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Lamar inhabited accomplished, intelligent and sophisticated educators in every college at the university, and our small class sizes provided us with immediate access to these extraordinary individuals. My professors, from statistics to children's literature, have challenged me intellectually in subjects I would not have even acknowledged otherwise. In order to succeed at this school, I was forced to open my mind up to things I simply did not care to learn about. My professors forced me to open my mind. And this was what I wanted out of my education.

What are your classes like?

I'm currently earning my masters in English, so my classes are very cool. I just wrapped up my first semester in grad school, and my Romanticism class had around 17 students--five of us were grad students, the rest were upper-level undergrads. At this level, English is much more interesting. You don't usually have those pesky quizzes over the literature anymore, because now you're mature enough to actually read the material and understand it, and the professors know this. And if you don't, well, it's up to you to wing it when a class discussion starts up, or when you have an exam or you're scrambling for a topic for your research paper. Because of the class size, we're able to have some very interesting discussions. We tackle the more abstract issues, like whether we invented language...or did language invent us? It's fun, and very stimulating to walk away thinking beyond the syllabus. Often the discussions continue on after the class, and sometimes a debate will ensue (but nobody fights dirty here, we play nice.) And if the debate wraps up before you're done making your point, you take it to the research paper and argue that point 'till your blue in the face with no interruptions. And if you're passionate enough about the subject you're writing about, odds are you'll get an A. Funny how that always seems to happen. Let's put it this way--for an 8 a.m. class, classroom participation was not usually a problem. That right there says something.

Southeast Texas is I'm pretty sure one of the notches along the "Bible Belt" of the South, so there are several conservative entities floating around. There are more than a few church organizations around campus, but they are a friendly presence at the school. They invite students to free lunches, and they host fundraisers and other fun activities once in a while, so if you're active in your church look into the religious centers around campus. They're good people. I'd say we have a pretty ethnically diverse student body, though not as diverse as maybe other student bodies in the Northeast. The dominant racial groups in the student body are African Americans and Caucasians who are native to the area surrounding Beaumont or Houston, or transfers. We have other races too, but if race is what you're concerned about, I'd look up the socio-economic and racial demographics for the area. I've never really paid attention to that, myself. The theater and art departments have somewhat of a following, as those folks tend to (stereotypically speaking) be, well, "artsy." My boyfriend is a studio art major, and though he isn't the archetypal "artsy" guy (he listens to death metal), he is certainly friends with his classmates and his teachers. It's not uncommon for us to go out and hang out with them from time to time. Everybody jives pretty well, if you know what you're interested in and you be yourself, you'll find your way to some friends. I did.

Student Government Association is becoming more of a presence around campus, and that's always cool to be a part of. I was never really involved with the sororities, and I don't know much about the fraternities...but sometimes they'll have some neat things going on, if they're selling food and have loud music going on in between classes, that's always cool. But the Greek thing isn't really a heavy scene around here...at least in my experience. I will say though that football returned in 2010, and whether you're into football or not it's been pretty exciting. They built a stadium and students get free tickets if we want, so it's neat to have that going on during the fall. Basketball draws a lot of folks from the community as well, and between basketball and football, the sports at Lamar earn us a great deal of support from the community. As far as a dating "scene," well, I don't know how those function at any school? No differently than meeting friends? I've made several friends at Lamar, mostly in class, believe it or not. The class sizes at their largest hover around 40-50 students, so you really get a chance to pair up with a study buddy and help each other out. I've still got friends from my Geology 2 class..and without them, I might not have passed. Surviving that kind of pressure all but makes you friends for life, ha. So if you're looking for love at Lamar, I'd start in the classroom. It's the perfect place to get to know somebody. Just don't talk or text or whatever, some professors will humiliate you if you get caught. (I've seen it.) The party scene usually settles itself around the local bars in downtown Beaumont, and it's also pretty common for people to drive over state lines to Louisiana to go gambling once in a while. I've never lived on campus so I wouldn't know what happens there, but I'm pretty sure the dorms are pretty tame. They're pretty-looking, too. There is however one bar that is literally across the street from campus, Kampus Korner, but this joint also has food, coffee, a jukebox, pool tables, and live music a few times a month I think. From what I understand people don't get too crazy over there. Usually they just kind of hang around and have fun, and it's safe. Nice place.

When you're a Freshman, you take what most students call the "basics," and here you are required to take lab sciences, literature courses, math courses, foreign languages...the requirements vary between degree plans, but essentially you are expected to have a well-rounded education. I think it's definitely worth noting that in early 2011, an article in the Washington Post praised the curriculum at Lamar as more diverse and therefore better than HARVARD. Reason being, even if you're an English major like me, you still have to take statistics, and biology or geology, and those types of courses that aren't so interesting to me. And according to the Washington Post, that makes me more well-rounded than a Harvard grad. HA! Another big perk for us here is the class sizes. We seem to keep growing in numbers when it comes to enrollment, which is always cool, but our largest classes generally hover around 40-50 students tops. As you get higher up into your senior level classes, they dwindle down sometimes as small as 6-10. We all love it; we get to know each other, our professors, and we build better relationships between faculty and students which ultimately makes for a better education overall. The professors know us, they know what we need, and they make themselves available to us if and when we need their help with something. It's really a luxury that other larger schools just don't seem to offer. But we aren't small potatoes, either. We're a nice-sized school with a nice variety--you can get your PhD in Chemical Engineering or you can major in Studio Art. As for me, I earned my bachelor of arts in English and I just wrapped up my first semester back as a grad student earning my masters in English. Getting this far has been no cake-walk, but it has certainly been a fun journey as I've had encouraging faculty who have supported me so much. Mushy, I know, but when you're in college, a supportive faculty is something you really learn to love and appreciate. Basically, Lamar is a great place to kind of "find yourself," so to speak. Whether you're certain about your career dreams or you're just kind of trying to figure all that out, Lamar is a comfortable place to be. I know a guy who came here to study Chemical Engineering, which is a very lucrative career in this area, and changed his mind when he fell head over heels in love...with math. Now, he's soaring to the top in mathematical research.

Well, living in Southeast Texas, we certainly have an interesting variety of folks--we have cowboys, we have thugs, we have nerds, we have hipsters...but we all get along pretty well together. Variety is always a good thing.

Adriana

The best thing about this college is the school spirit at football games, eventhough we dont have the best team in the world its really a good team, only our second year playing but its get better. The one thing i would change about this school is the variety of food in the d hall. This school is just right for just about anyone classes close enough from dorms to walk an be on time. when i tell people i go here they say "oh thats a party school" we do have parties but know our limits... or "lamar's gonna be just like PV".... No sir, where nothing like PV i been there and you wouldnt wanna live on campus at all there dorms are like motels no privicy wat so ever unless your in the bathroom. At lamar in the dorms the only thing you share is the bathroom which has separate sinks and the living room area. Yes, like i said before there is alot of school pride.The most frequent student complaints are at night when people are bord and up its too cold now to hang out outside in the garden ridge....

Tell us about your professors.

My professor are great my favorite is my math professor who work so well with me to pass her course with an "A".

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

makes the population of beaumont...

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

some people tend to live trash bags in the hallways or on the stairs...which to me is so nasty some the phases are trying to work on it by fining people for that issue... there are dumpsters next to each phase building students seem to lazy to take thier try to it..

What are the most popular classes offered?

These class gives incoming freshman a chance to go over thing they didnt really understand in high school. It may set you back a bit if you have to take them but they are very benefical to your learning.

When you step off campus what do you see?

when yu step off campus yu see the city of beaumont

classroom are small like high school class in that way you have more a change to actually interact with your professor and he/she can know your name. My favorite class is Algebra my professor mrs.carter made thing seem so much easier than what they where especially with all the letter and steps to remember. My least favorite class was composition I i think we didnt review material as offen as we should have in class. Student are very competive in grade. The most unique class i have taken is PEGA a PE class i would have never though i would have to take a fitness class in college, but it is very benifical to your gpa if you get an A..I believe that the school's academic requirements are great it gives a lot of people a change to prove themselve even if you didnt do your best in high school but you'll have to take it seriously... The education at this school gears toward getting you a job but also help you in learning new things for your own sake... lots of interesting topics on campus.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

social even are mostly pack so you might wanna get there early

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

most quiet place to focus and get ur study on..

The lives week on campus...Alpha and the Kappas host to of the best parties on campus that weekend

What's the Greek scene like?

chance to meet the frats and soro... did i mention how much i love the kappas

college is wat you make it out to be you gotta know how to have fun even if its boring as hell.cause it gonna get like that sometimes

the work is a serious thing it may have its high school moment but the work is serious be onto ur game cause you dont wanna fail n go to class rits nothing like you getting tardies or you skip n nothing happen in high school depending on the professor you have miss class or even being tardies when it adds up ur get drop a letter grade in that course...

What's the dating scene like?

from the start of the semester till decmeber the hook ups....

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

enough said... day the frat and soro come out and give in coming freshmans and upper class a taste of the Greek life... i love the kappas..

Describe a typical weekend.

there a football game everyone goes tailgating...or a party..else if not everyone seem to leave and go home for the weekend

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

what more can i say it a big deal...i love the football games

Tell us about the food and dining options.

then who doesnt get tired of eating the same d hall food all the time... there a papa john/ corner store in the dorms(phase 5). there is pizza hut in the nest cafe and southern cooking also...

Lamar university is Beaumont, Tx everything revoles around us the student people are so glad to see new student attending around town... thats what makes use unique

the first thing i though when i saw it was its a nice fit for me reasonable size class are in close reach of the dorms

Describe the dorms.

Yes the rooms are small but reasonable size for two people. The living room and bathroom is shared between the two but bedrooms are separated so you have your own space. The walls are thin you hear everything n i mean everything upstair, next door, and in the hallways but it reasonable not to many complaints...

Why did you decide to go to this school?

a representative from lamar university came to my high school gave a presentation. The presentation capture my attention more than any other university.When the rep stated that the classroom size are about the size of a high school classroom in that way you have a better chance to interact more with your professor....i applied

What do students complain about most?

student complain about being bored late at night like a 11 or 12..

What are your classes like?

most my classes are small like a high school classroom which helps me have a better change of knowing my teacher on a personal level.. My biggest class is my History class which has about a 100 or a lil more student in it...

if you are a very non soical person you would feel out of place here...

Man up is a very popular student organization that have many interesting confrences on juices topics..... There just about every organization you can thing of you definely find one that fits you. Football games are very important everyone goes.. august thur november is cuffing season.. Some of my friend are people i already knew for coming down here but we have a facebook group called "lamar friends" that help freshman get to know other before coming to lamar. every year we have rivals between phase in flag football, dodgeball, and etc... there are midnight bbqs

Umm.. there are not many sterotypes that i've heard about on campus...

Tatiana

I just camed to this school because this the only school that accepted me. Sometimes i think i made a mistake coming here and not thinking all the way through, but i didnt really tell a lot people that. This school is very close to home than the other schools i applied to.

The advice i would give myself is make sure the school you choose is right for you, have other options, and make sure you have a way to pay for college without stressing through your college years. Make sure you have choices of different majors in what you want to do with your life. Take it step by step, and make sure somebody helps you. Doing it by yourself isn't easy, it's good to ask for help, and speak up.

The most frustrating thing at my school is it's hard to make friends. College is very different from what I expected. People here aren't that friendly, and its very boring out here. My god sisters, made it sound so fun but im not really enjoying one bit of it. Everybody here already have there big groups from there high school, and only 2 people came from school. It gets very boring hanging with the same people all the time.

Eric

I would tell myself to do the exact same thing that I am doing now. I attended a community college because I cam from a small-town school. I did not want to jump straight into a shark tank and be eaten up and spit out. I think this is the best choice, even for people who may think that they are ready for a university. Going to a community college gives less student loan payback possibilities. Community college generally give better scholarships than a university, so school may be paid for both years. Also, coming from a community college, I have more opportunities to get higher scholarships than I could've dreamed of at a university. I am getting a honors society scholarship that will pay for half of my tuition at my new university. I would definitely say that this is the best idea. It also cuts down the amount of years I will be in a university. Money is the most important thing for me since I am planning on going straight through and getting my master's in both of my majors, math and music.

Lamar University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.