Staunton, VA
Mary Baldwin University

Setting the standard for innovation with a purpose for 175 years, today Mary Baldwin University is an exceptionally diverse institution with a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs for both women and men in locations throughout Virginia.

The Mary Baldwin College for Women is our historic, single-sex undergraduate program on the main campus, set on 58 beautiful hilltop acres in downtown Staunton, Virginia.

View the Full Summary

Desjourne

I love my college. It's small and has a beautiful view from all sides of the campus. I love the recent change to have the other eating facility open until 10 p.m. and I love that the library is open until midnight. The historic downtown is very cute and goes along with the history of the campus. I both love and hate that the campus is open because of potential danger. Although there are some things I may disagree with, I wouldn't want to enroll anywhere else.

Katherine

Mary Baldwin University as a whole is a stable and safe environment to learn and grow within. It is an extremely inclusive space and people often are found involved in various activities. There are parts in which the University can improve but so far it does an excellent job in making freshman feel at home and allowing the upperclassman to further grow.

Shayla

As much as I love MBU, I can honestly say that the housing and food sucks. There's a disconnect from what admissions says to what the campus is actually like. I do love the school though. They deleted my major before I came in (and didn't tell me), so I had to propose an independent major.

Malina

I hate it, the students can be rude, there is nothing in the area and no good research opportunities. some professors can also be rude and everything downtown is overpriced especially as a college student on a budget. There is nothing to do on or off campus because you're literally on a mountain top.

Tasha

Mary Baldwin University is good. It's much better than people give it credit for. The campus tries very hard to be involved in every aspect of everything, which can get a bit overwhelming, but is better than the apathetic alternative. The food is good.

Whitney
Mary Baldwin

Mary Baldwin

Mary Baldwin is a great school. Although small there are a lot of things going on and you get to know your professors on a more personal level.

Dear high school Me, Are you having a wonderful time applying to colleges? Are you still searching for that perfect balance of fun and academics, of stress and relaxation? Well, I have news for you: college is not about being free from your parents to do whatever you wish. While you are away from home, you will take on a tremendous amount of responsibility unlike anything you have encountered before. No one will tell you what time to be home. No one will tell you to go to class or write your papers. No one will tell you to shower or do your laundry. You must value yourself and your success more than anything else. In college, you are the only one who is looking out for you. You will discover your independent self, new strengths, and new weaknesses. So, while the whole world seems to crash down upon you while you're completely on your own, remember this: you will come out of college prepared to take on what the world throws at you. Use this time to improve yourself, not focus on all the unproductive things you can now do while without parental supervision.

The best thing about Mary Baldwin College is the room for improvement. The College is no less than a wonderful school to begin with; however, each student that enters can see the potential for new change, and then make that change happen. Every woman who enrolls at Mary Baldwin contributes to the school in one way or another. This allows for the College to constantly be changing and improving; adapting to each class of women who enter.

A female who is motivated by change, open to new ideas, and hungry for recognition and success should attend Mary Baldwin College. She should be eager to consume the material each professor presents, as she will be closely working with them in the small school environment. In addition, she should channel her leadership potential to take advantage of all that the College has to offer.

Kymiesha

I already talked about the small class size, which most colleges don't have. The other unique feature Mary Baldwin has is that they let you choose when you can take your finals. They give you two or three three-hour blocks on a set number of days during which you can choose which final to take and when.

I would tell myself to learn better study habits and time management skills. I would also try to break myself out of the habit of procrastination and shyness. I found myself trrying to rush to get my assignments done and turn them in. When I had other things to do other than my work I was unsure if how to balance out the two. Now I would tell myself to take advantage of the study groups. I would tell myself to interact with the other students so that maybe I could be the one to create theses study groups. I would then teach myself to use my free time wisely.

The type of person that should attend this school is someone who is responsible and that prefers small classes. You have to be responsible at any college really because you have to manage your own time and schdule. Teachers as well as your peers are not going to wake you up to eat or attend class. The classes are small compared to most schools and that gives the professor a chance to interact and build a connection with all the students.

kayla

If i could give myself advise about college i would say apply for every scholarship out there because it can get really stressful paying for college. Stay focused on worl even though this is an all girl school, you can get destracted easily by wanting to go hangout with friends. Stay on top of your homework because professors will not always remind you what is due. Study any chance you get it will be worth while. Go to every tutoring option they have on campus. Do work a head of time so you dont have to cram your work in one day or night. Find things to release any stress you may have but dont blow off home work. Make a designated time for home work.

Theres nothing really bad about Mary Baldwin , its located in a small town so its really quiet. Its a small school so everyone knows everybody.

To attend this school you should be very nice to others and out going. Youhave to be hard working and eager to learn different thing. You have to be polite, everyone here is pretty respectful. You have to be dedicated to your work it can get pretty distracting if you get bored easily.

Mary Baldwin University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.