Staunton, VA
Mary Baldwin University

Setting the standard for innovation with a purpose for 175 years, today Mary Baldwin University is an exceptionally diverse institution with a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs for both women and men in locations throughout Virginia.

The Mary Baldwin College for Women is our historic, single-sex undergraduate program on the main campus, set on 58 beautiful hilltop acres in downtown Staunton, Virginia.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mary Baldwin University

Fixed  rate loan

Whitney
Mary Baldwin

Mary Baldwin

Mary Baldwin is a great school. Although small there are a lot of things going on and you get to know your professors on a more personal level.

Dear high school Me, Are you having a wonderful time applying to colleges? Are you still searching for that perfect balance of fun and academics, of stress and relaxation? Well, I have news for you: college is not about being free from your parents to do whatever you wish. While you are away from home, you will take on a tremendous amount of responsibility unlike anything you have encountered before. No one will tell you what time to be home. No one will tell you to go to class or write your papers. No one will tell you to shower or do your laundry. You must value yourself and your success more than anything else. In college, you are the only one who is looking out for you. You will discover your independent self, new strengths, and new weaknesses. So, while the whole world seems to crash down upon you while you're completely on your own, remember this: you will come out of college prepared to take on what the world throws at you. Use this time to improve yourself, not focus on all the unproductive things you can now do while without parental supervision.

The best thing about Mary Baldwin College is the room for improvement. The College is no less than a wonderful school to begin with; however, each student that enters can see the potential for new change, and then make that change happen. Every woman who enrolls at Mary Baldwin contributes to the school in one way or another. This allows for the College to constantly be changing and improving; adapting to each class of women who enter.

A female who is motivated by change, open to new ideas, and hungry for recognition and success should attend Mary Baldwin College. She should be eager to consume the material each professor presents, as she will be closely working with them in the small school environment. In addition, she should channel her leadership potential to take advantage of all that the College has to offer.

Kymiesha

I already talked about the small class size, which most colleges don't have. The other unique feature Mary Baldwin has is that they let you choose when you can take your finals. They give you two or three three-hour blocks on a set number of days during which you can choose which final to take and when.

I would tell myself to learn better study habits and time management skills. I would also try to break myself out of the habit of procrastination and shyness. I found myself trrying to rush to get my assignments done and turn them in. When I had other things to do other than my work I was unsure if how to balance out the two. Now I would tell myself to take advantage of the study groups. I would tell myself to interact with the other students so that maybe I could be the one to create theses study groups. I would then teach myself to use my free time wisely.

The type of person that should attend this school is someone who is responsible and that prefers small classes. You have to be responsible at any college really because you have to manage your own time and schdule. Teachers as well as your peers are not going to wake you up to eat or attend class. The classes are small compared to most schools and that gives the professor a chance to interact and build a connection with all the students.

kayla

If i could give myself advise about college i would say apply for every scholarship out there because it can get really stressful paying for college. Stay focused on worl even though this is an all girl school, you can get destracted easily by wanting to go hangout with friends. Stay on top of your homework because professors will not always remind you what is due. Study any chance you get it will be worth while. Go to every tutoring option they have on campus. Do work a head of time so you dont have to cram your work in one day or night. Find things to release any stress you may have but dont blow off home work. Make a designated time for home work.

Theres nothing really bad about Mary Baldwin , its located in a small town so its really quiet. Its a small school so everyone knows everybody.

To attend this school you should be very nice to others and out going. Youhave to be hard working and eager to learn different thing. You have to be polite, everyone here is pretty respectful. You have to be dedicated to your work it can get pretty distracting if you get bored easily.

My classmates are all women.

My classmates are all women.

We are best known for our mascot Gladys the fighting squirrel.

Senior year. Being a senior in high school for me was kind of like being in the limbo of life- I was not a child anymore but I was not quite an adult living in the “real” world either. So many questions needed answers, answers that I didn’t have then and some that I still don’t have now. I think that is what worried me the most- not knowing exactly what was out in the real world. If I could go back and give my high school self some advice I would tell myself to take a deep breath and accept the fact that I don’t have to have all the answers right now. I was so worried about what my future in college would hold that it was sometimes hard to enjoy the time I had left in high school. Had I known then what I know now, my transition to college would have been a lot smoother.

Sherri

I did not have a good advisor while in high school and therfor did not know about all the opportunities out there. I would tell my high school self to do research on colleges and scholarships and to apply before I graduated.

I do not brag about Mary Baldwin. I am not happy with my experience there and I am hoping to transfer.

Jasmine

VWIL, Ida B. Wells. Thats about it...

VWIL, Ida B. Wells. Thats about it...

The classes are small, maybe 15 to 20 students in each class. This school has some good teachers but they also have their share of bad ones.

Stereotypes? Alot of people say this school is gay. To be honest, this school has a lot of gays. Theres alot of lesbians and bisexuals and girls who come here straight and turn gay. We have these terms called bugs and lugs. (bi untill graduation & gay untill graduation). Theres a military program here and it's suppose to be really good, but it isn't very legit yet. I'm currently in the program, and its like they dummy down and feminize what the military is actually like. We wear pearls, and v-necs, and even march differently. It is'nt the best program if you're tryna get a real military college life experience. This program also contains majority of the lesbians and butches. This school, especially the program has had many complaints about prejudice and racism. I've even encountered some of it. I had to go speak with the dean of the school in order for them to see it and do something about it. I'm not trying to give the school a bad review. This school is really good for some people, especially those who are reallly into art.

Kimberly

Don't be scared. Try your best and everything will fall into place.

Don't be scared. Try your best and everything will fall into place.

Someone who likes or is used to going out should not go here. The town is quiet and nothing too exciting ever happens. Plus let me emphasize that it is an ALL WOMEN'S COLLEGE!

Julie

When I tell people I'm going to Mary Baldwin College, usually I have to include where it's located and by located I mean near what major city. (Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, etc.) The college is situated in a nice area of Staunton. Downtown is gorgeous and very vibrant. There is plenty of activities and events to get involved with that help or benefit the community. Also, you can have a lot of fun (clean, honest to goodness fun! No alcohol or drugs needed!)

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I'm not a fan of this question... it's so cut and dry. Yes, I have changed. But, I feel as though I have changed for the better. I am more confident in front of my peers and my professors. I am more assertive in activities and projects. I am more involved around campus, and I have a different attitude with dealing with people than I did before I started college. These changes come from growing up and being shaped into an adult by Mary Baldwin College. MBC's goal is to create "confident, compassionate, change-makers." I feel as though they have succeeded with this in me.

What are your classes like?

The classes are generally smaller in size. The largest I've had was about 30 students and it was a general ed freshman class. The professors will either lecture or hold round table discussions. Generally, the classroom is very relaxed and an environment that promotes discussion and sometimes debates (which can be a lot of fun!)

What are the most popular classes offered?

Some of the most popular classes offered are in Sociology, Psychology, Religion, and Political Science. There are also some art classes are really popular. These classes usually count as a general ed requirement which is why they are popular. It also doesn't hurt that the professors that teach them are AMAZING!

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

How often should you phone home? That's completely up to you! I have a great relationship with my parents, so I usually phone home once a day just to catch up and talk with my parents. I usually inform them about my classes and ask about my sister and my dog. How often you phone home honestly depends on your relationship with your family.

What do people really wear to class?

Most of the students on campus where normal clothes to class. You know, jeans, t-shirts, hoodies.. that type of stuff. Some do show up in sweat pants and pajama pants which the professors don't mind. Just keep in mind, you can't wear pajamas into the dining halls. It's just a rule that has been around forever.

When you step off campus what do you see?

When you step off campus, you are in the beautiful, historic downtown of Staunton. There are small, locally owned boutiques that offer a variety of shopping and food options. Historic Downtown is also home to the Blackfriar's Playhouse which is a replica of the theatre Shakespeare had his plays performed in. On any given day, there is a performance going on there.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

My only complaint my freshman year was that the food was bland because they were trying to cater to everyone. But this year they added spice racks and new menu options so it's a lot better. You have to keep in mind though, MBC is really about being green and healthy so most of the food they serve is healthier. I actually lost weight rather than gained it my freshman year. (Combination of the stairs on campus and the food at the dining hall.) If you ever want wraps, chicken strips, and other less healthy food, there's another place on campus that serves that all the time. There are always vegan and gluten-free options as well as a salad bar, cereal/bread bar, and some type of dessert always offered. The dining hall is not exactly a place where you can keep getting up and getting more (well, entrees at least.) You get one entree and the sides that come with it. When it comes to the other stations such as the vegan, cereal/bread, and salad bars, you can have as much as you want.

What's the Greek scene like?

The Greek scene... is pretty much non-existent on campus. Well, at least it is in terms of Sororities and Fraternities. The only "Greek" scene we have is the honors clubs.

What's the dating scene like?

I'll be honest, if you are a female looking for a guy, you might have some trouble finding some one to date. Granted, there are plenty of men in the Staunton community, you just have to go out and find them. Guys from VMI, Hampden-Sydney, Bridgewater, and JMU sometimes visit us for our mixers, so you might meet someone there. If you are female and seeking another female, you will have options on campus. We do have a fairly decent sized LGBT community.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend at Mary Baldwin... This usually includes hanging out with friends and maybe even some homework if I feel so inclined. My friends and I had a routine that on Friday or Saturday nights, we would make dinner together and sit down as a family and watch movies while eating together. It was probably one of my favorite things about freshman year for me. It honestly made a difference, and helped us bond more.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place on campus to get your work done is either at the library or sitting outside somewhere quiet (which is most of the campus during classes!) The library has individual desks that you can reserve for a semester or the year. This desk is just yours and is there for you whenever you need it. I find sitting outside on a nice day is always a great place to get work done as well. There are plenty of tables, chairs, benches, and just open grass areas that you can sit down and do your work. Wifi is available all over campus, so it makes working outside really easy.

What do students complain about most?

Most students complain about the school either being all female, or that there is not that much to do in Staunton. Staunton is a small town, so there is only so much you can get in to. If you want city life, Charlottesville and Harrisonburg are both 30 minute drives away.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Mary Baldwin College is a private 4 year liberal arts college. We are mostly all female, though we do have some men in the Adult Degree Program (ADP) and the Program for the Exceptionally Gifted (PEG).

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Mary Baldwin because I felt comfortable and at home there. The faculty and staff are a great bunch and really will go that extra mile to help you... if you ask! I first fell in love with the campus itself when I passed by it one fall. (I think the campus is at it's most beautiful in the fall with all the leaves changing!) When I was older and it was time to start looking at colleges, MBC was at the top of my list. When I went on my first "official" tour, I fell even more in love.

Mary Baldwin girls are known for wearing ribbons and pearls. It's a stereotype that is true a lot of the time. There is also a stereotype that most of the girls are lesbians. This is not true at all. Of course there are lesbians on campus, but there are also straight females. Just because you go to a female college does not mean you are a lesbian. Also, because Mary Baldwin is a private college, many think that you have to be rich to be here. That is far from the truth. Mary Baldwin offers a huge amount of scholarships to most if not all students. So the students here are very diverse when it comes to income.

Most of the people on campus are friendly. There isn't a lot of drama that goes down in high school. (Though there is some... c'mon. Its an all female college!) The student population is also very diverse.

The stereotypes aren't ALWAYS true. Though there are some that live up to it.

The classes are amazing. Each professor goes out of their way to get to know you. I know a lot of small colleges claim that, but at MBC it is TRUE. The professors become your friend and mentors.

There are SOOOOO many clubs and groups on campus. There is something for everyone to get involved with. There are also frequent guest speakers. But the doors are generally open in the dorms. People come and go from their friends rooms. Parties don't happen that much, but if they do... they are house parties for upperclassmen or parties at JMU or UVA.

One stereotype is that we all wear pearls and are preppy.

Mary Baldwin University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.