You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mary Baldwin University

Fixed  rate loan

Jasmine

VWIL, Ida B. Wells. Thats about it...

VWIL, Ida B. Wells. Thats about it...

The classes are small, maybe 15 to 20 students in each class. This school has some good teachers but they also have their share of bad ones.

Stereotypes? Alot of people say this school is gay. To be honest, this school has a lot of gays. Theres alot of lesbians and bisexuals and girls who come here straight and turn gay. We have these terms called bugs and lugs. (bi untill graduation & gay untill graduation). Theres a military program here and it's suppose to be really good, but it isn't very legit yet. I'm currently in the program, and its like they dummy down and feminize what the military is actually like. We wear pearls, and v-necs, and even march differently. It is'nt the best program if you're tryna get a real military college life experience. This program also contains majority of the lesbians and butches. This school, especially the program has had many complaints about prejudice and racism. I've even encountered some of it. I had to go speak with the dean of the school in order for them to see it and do something about it. I'm not trying to give the school a bad review. This school is really good for some people, especially those who are reallly into art.

Kimberly

Don't be scared. Try your best and everything will fall into place.

Don't be scared. Try your best and everything will fall into place.

Someone who likes or is used to going out should not go here. The town is quiet and nothing too exciting ever happens. Plus let me emphasize that it is an ALL WOMEN'S COLLEGE!

Julie

When I tell people I'm going to Mary Baldwin College, usually I have to include where it's located and by located I mean near what major city. (Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, etc.) The college is situated in a nice area of Staunton. Downtown is gorgeous and very vibrant. There is plenty of activities and events to get involved with that help or benefit the community. Also, you can have a lot of fun (clean, honest to goodness fun! No alcohol or drugs needed!)

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I'm not a fan of this question... it's so cut and dry. Yes, I have changed. But, I feel as though I have changed for the better. I am more confident in front of my peers and my professors. I am more assertive in activities and projects. I am more involved around campus, and I have a different attitude with dealing with people than I did before I started college. These changes come from growing up and being shaped into an adult by Mary Baldwin College. MBC's goal is to create "confident, compassionate, change-makers." I feel as though they have succeeded with this in me.

What are your classes like?

The classes are generally smaller in size. The largest I've had was about 30 students and it was a general ed freshman class. The professors will either lecture or hold round table discussions. Generally, the classroom is very relaxed and an environment that promotes discussion and sometimes debates (which can be a lot of fun!)

What are the most popular classes offered?

Some of the most popular classes offered are in Sociology, Psychology, Religion, and Political Science. There are also some art classes are really popular. These classes usually count as a general ed requirement which is why they are popular. It also doesn't hurt that the professors that teach them are AMAZING!

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

How often should you phone home? That's completely up to you! I have a great relationship with my parents, so I usually phone home once a day just to catch up and talk with my parents. I usually inform them about my classes and ask about my sister and my dog. How often you phone home honestly depends on your relationship with your family.

What do people really wear to class?

Most of the students on campus where normal clothes to class. You know, jeans, t-shirts, hoodies.. that type of stuff. Some do show up in sweat pants and pajama pants which the professors don't mind. Just keep in mind, you can't wear pajamas into the dining halls. It's just a rule that has been around forever.

When you step off campus what do you see?

When you step off campus, you are in the beautiful, historic downtown of Staunton. There are small, locally owned boutiques that offer a variety of shopping and food options. Historic Downtown is also home to the Blackfriar's Playhouse which is a replica of the theatre Shakespeare had his plays performed in. On any given day, there is a performance going on there.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

My only complaint my freshman year was that the food was bland because they were trying to cater to everyone. But this year they added spice racks and new menu options so it's a lot better. You have to keep in mind though, MBC is really about being green and healthy so most of the food they serve is healthier. I actually lost weight rather than gained it my freshman year. (Combination of the stairs on campus and the food at the dining hall.) If you ever want wraps, chicken strips, and other less healthy food, there's another place on campus that serves that all the time. There are always vegan and gluten-free options as well as a salad bar, cereal/bread bar, and some type of dessert always offered. The dining hall is not exactly a place where you can keep getting up and getting more (well, entrees at least.) You get one entree and the sides that come with it. When it comes to the other stations such as the vegan, cereal/bread, and salad bars, you can have as much as you want.

What's the Greek scene like?

The Greek scene... is pretty much non-existent on campus. Well, at least it is in terms of Sororities and Fraternities. The only "Greek" scene we have is the honors clubs.

What's the dating scene like?

I'll be honest, if you are a female looking for a guy, you might have some trouble finding some one to date. Granted, there are plenty of men in the Staunton community, you just have to go out and find them. Guys from VMI, Hampden-Sydney, Bridgewater, and JMU sometimes visit us for our mixers, so you might meet someone there. If you are female and seeking another female, you will have options on campus. We do have a fairly decent sized LGBT community.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend at Mary Baldwin... This usually includes hanging out with friends and maybe even some homework if I feel so inclined. My friends and I had a routine that on Friday or Saturday nights, we would make dinner together and sit down as a family and watch movies while eating together. It was probably one of my favorite things about freshman year for me. It honestly made a difference, and helped us bond more.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place on campus to get your work done is either at the library or sitting outside somewhere quiet (which is most of the campus during classes!) The library has individual desks that you can reserve for a semester or the year. This desk is just yours and is there for you whenever you need it. I find sitting outside on a nice day is always a great place to get work done as well. There are plenty of tables, chairs, benches, and just open grass areas that you can sit down and do your work. Wifi is available all over campus, so it makes working outside really easy.

What do students complain about most?

Most students complain about the school either being all female, or that there is not that much to do in Staunton. Staunton is a small town, so there is only so much you can get in to. If you want city life, Charlottesville and Harrisonburg are both 30 minute drives away.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Mary Baldwin College is a private 4 year liberal arts college. We are mostly all female, though we do have some men in the Adult Degree Program (ADP) and the Program for the Exceptionally Gifted (PEG).

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Mary Baldwin because I felt comfortable and at home there. The faculty and staff are a great bunch and really will go that extra mile to help you... if you ask! I first fell in love with the campus itself when I passed by it one fall. (I think the campus is at it's most beautiful in the fall with all the leaves changing!) When I was older and it was time to start looking at colleges, MBC was at the top of my list. When I went on my first "official" tour, I fell even more in love.

Mary Baldwin girls are known for wearing ribbons and pearls. It's a stereotype that is true a lot of the time. There is also a stereotype that most of the girls are lesbians. This is not true at all. Of course there are lesbians on campus, but there are also straight females. Just because you go to a female college does not mean you are a lesbian. Also, because Mary Baldwin is a private college, many think that you have to be rich to be here. That is far from the truth. Mary Baldwin offers a huge amount of scholarships to most if not all students. So the students here are very diverse when it comes to income.

Most of the people on campus are friendly. There isn't a lot of drama that goes down in high school. (Though there is some... c'mon. Its an all female college!) The student population is also very diverse.

The stereotypes aren't ALWAYS true. Though there are some that live up to it.

The classes are amazing. Each professor goes out of their way to get to know you. I know a lot of small colleges claim that, but at MBC it is TRUE. The professors become your friend and mentors.

There are SOOOOO many clubs and groups on campus. There is something for everyone to get involved with. There are also frequent guest speakers. But the doors are generally open in the dorms. People come and go from their friends rooms. Parties don't happen that much, but if they do... they are house parties for upperclassmen or parties at JMU or UVA.

One stereotype is that we all wear pearls and are preppy.

Joshua

If i could go back in time as a senior again i would tell myself to save some money for myself instead of spending it on clothes if i had saved my money i wouldnt have any problems with finance. I would be set because i would have learn how to manage my money instead of blowing it I think this would be a great leasson to learn during my senior year.

ROSALINDA

The advive i would give to myself would be to prepare myself for a different learning experience. colllege is not like high school you become independent and value the education you are receiving, especially in this economy. less people are given the chance to get a college education so i would tell myself to take adavantage of the opportunity i have. studying and keeping your grades up needs to be priority. in college you dont have teachers telling you, you have to do your homeowork. its your responsibility to get things done, you learn to grow up and do things on your own. basically in one sentence take advantage of your education oppurtunity and prepare to become independent and responsible.

Kathryn

My classmates are diverse and from everybackground imaginable, with differing opinions on everything, yet very tightly knit.

My school I feel is best known for either the Virgina Women's Institute for Leadership or the Program for the Exceptionally Gifted. These are known as VWIL and PEG. As a PEG student I was able to leave high school early and this program gives many girls the same oppurtunity. VWIL is the only all female cadet corps in the world. MBC also has a lot of international and study abroad programs.

Personally, I would say to enjoy the summer before more than anything. Since I did leave school early I was not able to take part in all the senior actvities and I would have to say that I miss being able to do that. Also, to have fun but not to go overboard. Don't take too many credits and plan out a study schedule. Additionally, make sure that when you come to school to discuss all of the boundaries in your room with your roommate. The roommate contract will be what keeps you sane throughout the year. Don't try to fo everything that you did in high school. Pick a couple of things and stick with it. Don't take it personally if you don't get a posistion that you tried out/pledged/or ran for. There truly is a opportunity for each one that is gone. Finally, don't stress out. The first semester will be hard and the classes will be big. But you can do it. Just plan out your schedule and remeber that you don't have the amount of free time that you think you do.

Christian

The first time I attended UCF, I was straight out of high school. I found housing off campus. My roommates were upperclassmen, and big partiers. I thought I wanted to be an engineer, but soon realized, I wanted to party and live the "college life" instead. This caused me to get academically suspended from UCF. 12 years later, here I am, back in school, persuing my true calling (physical therapy). My early college years taught me alot and showed me what I shouldn't do to get my degree. Although, my early college years set me back on my goal, it gave me time to really figure out what I am meant to do. I wouldn't have done it any other way, (I just wish I hadn't waited 11 years after my suspension to go back.) Such is life. I've been attending a Community college for 2 years now, and about to re-enroll in UCF. I brought my GPA from a 1.66 to a 2.54. I have my previouse college experiences to thank for that.

Amber

What I feel is unique about Mary Baldwin College is that class sizes are no bigger than 20 students. The teachers live near campus and are always available. There are numerous tutor sessions around campus that are available most nights of the week.

While attending Mary Baldwin College, I have grown into a confident and compassionate change-making leader. I have been involved in student leader positions, played varsity softball, and been a part of the only all female corps of cadets in the world. I have been able to come from a low middle class home and take the values that were instilled in me and use them in my life away from home. I stive for excellence in all I do and never take failure for an answer.

I feel the worst things about Mary Baldwin College are the dining services. There are set hours in which you have to go to eat, or you do not get a meal. Also, you are allowed three meals a day and you can not take coffee or even a piece of fruit out of the dining hall. Most of the meals they serve are exotic. They do not know what a simple meal consisit of . Who in college eats pigs feet for lunch? EW.

Kathryn

One of the best things about Mary Baldwin is the social atmosphere. It is a small school so your professors have more time to focus on your school. The small campus also makes it easy to get from one class to another despite having them in different buildings. We are also an environmentally friendly campus relying on local produce and our own community gardens. Just to be clear, for the girls who think ill of an all girls college, there are male students here, just not a lot.

Attending Mary Baldwin has made me a stronger more independent person. I was afraid to be on my own but the community here has made me feel more secure. I like not having a mass amount of boys around because I feel that it gives me more time to grow as an individual and not worry about relationships. The classes here are amazing and I have learned quite a bit in just one semester. The friendships I have made here are great. I feel like an all around better person after coming here. I never had much school spirit in high school but I truly do love Mary Baldwin and can not wait to spend the next three years of my life here.

The hills are by far the worst thing at Mary Baldwin. You will not get used to them untill the end of your first year. They make going from lower to upper campus dreadful. Some people dislike the small town feel, but personally I think it gives a more relaxed atmosphere for study. There are less distractions at Mary Baldwin. Despite this we manage to have a ton of fun in our spare time.

Patrick

College has been extremely beneficial to attend. First of all, I have learned to be very independent. You are the person who will determine if you are successful or not. I have also learned to expand my critical thinking and look at the world in a more sophisticated way. To learn more about what is going on around you, will make you more like to succeed in the future. Attending college has also given me more of an opportunity to experience and get an understanding of what careers I may want to look into. I was able to enter an internship with the local fire department through my school. There I have been able to gain valuable experience in a field that I am interested in. Attending college has forced me to grow into an adult and that I am fortunate.

Mary Baldwin University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.