Staunton, VA
Mary Baldwin University

Setting the standard for innovation with a purpose for 175 years, today Mary Baldwin University is an exceptionally diverse institution with a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs for both women and men in locations throughout Virginia.

The Mary Baldwin College for Women is our historic, single-sex undergraduate program on the main campus, set on 58 beautiful hilltop acres in downtown Staunton, Virginia.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mary Baldwin University

Fixed  rate loan

Joshua

If i could go back in time as a senior again i would tell myself to save some money for myself instead of spending it on clothes if i had saved my money i wouldnt have any problems with finance. I would be set because i would have learn how to manage my money instead of blowing it I think this would be a great leasson to learn during my senior year.

ROSALINDA

The advive i would give to myself would be to prepare myself for a different learning experience. colllege is not like high school you become independent and value the education you are receiving, especially in this economy. less people are given the chance to get a college education so i would tell myself to take adavantage of the opportunity i have. studying and keeping your grades up needs to be priority. in college you dont have teachers telling you, you have to do your homeowork. its your responsibility to get things done, you learn to grow up and do things on your own. basically in one sentence take advantage of your education oppurtunity and prepare to become independent and responsible.

Kathryn

My classmates are diverse and from everybackground imaginable, with differing opinions on everything, yet very tightly knit.

My school I feel is best known for either the Virgina Women's Institute for Leadership or the Program for the Exceptionally Gifted. These are known as VWIL and PEG. As a PEG student I was able to leave high school early and this program gives many girls the same oppurtunity. VWIL is the only all female cadet corps in the world. MBC also has a lot of international and study abroad programs.

Personally, I would say to enjoy the summer before more than anything. Since I did leave school early I was not able to take part in all the senior actvities and I would have to say that I miss being able to do that. Also, to have fun but not to go overboard. Don't take too many credits and plan out a study schedule. Additionally, make sure that when you come to school to discuss all of the boundaries in your room with your roommate. The roommate contract will be what keeps you sane throughout the year. Don't try to fo everything that you did in high school. Pick a couple of things and stick with it. Don't take it personally if you don't get a posistion that you tried out/pledged/or ran for. There truly is a opportunity for each one that is gone. Finally, don't stress out. The first semester will be hard and the classes will be big. But you can do it. Just plan out your schedule and remeber that you don't have the amount of free time that you think you do.

Christian

The first time I attended UCF, I was straight out of high school. I found housing off campus. My roommates were upperclassmen, and big partiers. I thought I wanted to be an engineer, but soon realized, I wanted to party and live the "college life" instead. This caused me to get academically suspended from UCF. 12 years later, here I am, back in school, persuing my true calling (physical therapy). My early college years taught me alot and showed me what I shouldn't do to get my degree. Although, my early college years set me back on my goal, it gave me time to really figure out what I am meant to do. I wouldn't have done it any other way, (I just wish I hadn't waited 11 years after my suspension to go back.) Such is life. I've been attending a Community college for 2 years now, and about to re-enroll in UCF. I brought my GPA from a 1.66 to a 2.54. I have my previouse college experiences to thank for that.

Amber

What I feel is unique about Mary Baldwin College is that class sizes are no bigger than 20 students. The teachers live near campus and are always available. There are numerous tutor sessions around campus that are available most nights of the week.

While attending Mary Baldwin College, I have grown into a confident and compassionate change-making leader. I have been involved in student leader positions, played varsity softball, and been a part of the only all female corps of cadets in the world. I have been able to come from a low middle class home and take the values that were instilled in me and use them in my life away from home. I stive for excellence in all I do and never take failure for an answer.

I feel the worst things about Mary Baldwin College are the dining services. There are set hours in which you have to go to eat, or you do not get a meal. Also, you are allowed three meals a day and you can not take coffee or even a piece of fruit out of the dining hall. Most of the meals they serve are exotic. They do not know what a simple meal consisit of . Who in college eats pigs feet for lunch? EW.

Kathryn

Attending Mary Baldwin has made me a stronger more independent person. I was afraid to be on my own but the community here has made me feel more secure. I like not having a mass amount of boys around because I feel that it gives me more time to grow as an individual and not worry about relationships. The classes here are amazing and I have learned quite a bit in just one semester. The friendships I have made here are great. I feel like an all around better person after coming here. I never had much school spirit in high school but I truly do love Mary Baldwin and can not wait to spend the next three years of my life here.

One of the best things about Mary Baldwin is the social atmosphere. It is a small school so your professors have more time to focus on your school. The small campus also makes it easy to get from one class to another despite having them in different buildings. We are also an environmentally friendly campus relying on local produce and our own community gardens. Just to be clear, for the girls who think ill of an all girls college, there are male students here, just not a lot.

The hills are by far the worst thing at Mary Baldwin. You will not get used to them untill the end of your first year. They make going from lower to upper campus dreadful. Some people dislike the small town feel, but personally I think it gives a more relaxed atmosphere for study. There are less distractions at Mary Baldwin. Despite this we manage to have a ton of fun in our spare time.

Patrick

College has been extremely beneficial to attend. First of all, I have learned to be very independent. You are the person who will determine if you are successful or not. I have also learned to expand my critical thinking and look at the world in a more sophisticated way. To learn more about what is going on around you, will make you more like to succeed in the future. Attending college has also given me more of an opportunity to experience and get an understanding of what careers I may want to look into. I was able to enter an internship with the local fire department through my school. There I have been able to gain valuable experience in a field that I am interested in. Attending college has forced me to grow into an adult and that I am fortunate.

Tara

I have always believed in the strength of femininity and equality among the genders, and this belief has been enhanced by my experience at Mary Baldwin. Also, as an English major, I have had an incredible variety of professors from all over the world. They are brilliant in their knowledge of the subject and caring toward the well-being of their students, and in regards to these professors, I have gained more of an appreciation for the English language. On the whole, I have become a self-assured woman, confident in my English abilities and strong in my individuality.

The kind of person that would do well at Mary Baldwin is the artistic, creative type. She should be proud of her femininity and strong in her beliefs, as Mary Baldwin will help to enhance such pride and strength. A woman who wants to be empowered mentally, intellectually and creatively should attend this college.

The most frustrating thing is probably the use of blackboard for certain classes. The program never works correctly and is especially slow. Other than that, I really have no complaints about MBC.

Alexandra

I've been playing piano for almost fourteen years; however, I never thought music would be a career choice. I received my AA for art in the spring of 2009 and didn't plan on going back to school; I wanted to focus on becoming an actress. But it always seemed like I was being led toward the music. I work as an accompanist at my alma mater and I've been a member of the choirs at College of the Canyons for almost two years. Being a member of the Chamber choir has truly inspired me like I never thought I would ever be as a musician. Being around so many talented people who know that's what they want to do forever, made me realize that I want to make music too. I have learned so much, not just about music, but as Me, the musician. I never considered myself a true musician until I became a part of the Chamber choir. So, for the actress who wasn't planning on going back to school, I do have to say, that I have never been so excited to start the rest of my life as a musician. [

Celia

MBC is really friendly, and very good if you're looking for a psychology/English degree, but to be a science or math major, you're going to have a lot of research opportunities, but not the best classes; there is an early college program here, but, to be honest, it's awful and the staff at the program seem more interested in money than the well-being of their wards.

The early college program is, frankly, the only reason a straight person would even consider coming here, and it doesn't deserve to be nearly as prestigious as it attempts to brand itself; however, MBC offers a LOT of financial aid, I suppose that's another reason. And, because it's a small school, undergraduate research is very easy to snag.

As student in an early college program, I can truly say that my situation is unique: my parents moved out of the country before my freshman year and left me to pursue my life. College has allowed me to find academic challenges that weren't available in high school. I've made lifelong friends and learned lifelong skills. When you start college at 15, there's a lot to adjust to in addition to suddenly being away from your family. People ask you to make your own decisions before you're even an adult. Traditional students discriminate against you because of age. In many such situations, I think I would feel like I'm missing out on the real "college experience", but I don't. I am a stronger, better, more mature person because I have had to become so, to be able to consider myself a college student. College has made me more motivated and more independent. I wouldn't trade my experience for any other.

Mary Baldwin University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.