Staunton, VA
Mary Baldwin University

Setting the standard for innovation with a purpose for 175 years, today Mary Baldwin University is an exceptionally diverse institution with a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs for both women and men in locations throughout Virginia.

The Mary Baldwin College for Women is our historic, single-sex undergraduate program on the main campus, set on 58 beautiful hilltop acres in downtown Staunton, Virginia.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mary Baldwin University

Fixed  rate loan

Amber

I have gotten a wonderful life experience that I truly love. I want to be able to change schools but I skipped high school to attend college at Mary Baldwin. I love this oppertunity their program for exceptionally gifted young girls have given to me. I try my best and I love all I do at the school. Aside from the stairs I also wish there were more guys around to hang out with. A bunch of girls can get pretty anoying. But I still love it.

People who want to skip high school. Military geared students and anyone who wants to go to an all girls school in the middle of nowhere.

Amelia

I would say, get involved in on and off campus activities. Talk to people and get out of your comfort zone. College is about making new freinds and making a network of people. Try everything, but most of all be responsible. You are an adult and you are accountable for your actions. Know your limits, and above all take care of yourself. Know when you need to study and when you need a break. Have faith that you will get through those hard days, and enjoy the days that make you smile. Always find time for your self. Ask the obivious questions, and always read your text books. Get enough sleep, eat well, and excercise. Finally I would say, don't be afraid to be who you are, people should like you for YOU and not someone they want you to be.

People who don't like small schools

Being in the Virginia Women's Institute for Leadership

Sharon

If I could go back in time and talk to Sharon as a high school senior I would tell her that it is extremely important to stay focused and determined. College is an experience that not many individuals have the opportunity to take advantage of. Regardless of circumstances and every day life situations, which are very likely to arise, if you stay motivated you will be able to attain your goals. The longer you wait to pursue your higher education, the less likely it is that you will go. Don't let anyone bring you down or speak negativity on your life. If you fall off in school, have enough fortitude to get back up again and keep moving. Tradgeties and unexpected set backs may occur, however if you know where you are trying to go, you can always remember that it doesn't have to hold you down. Definitely don't take too many breaks from school because this will only push you back and could cause you to lose your motivation. Going to college guarantees that you will gain more knowledge that no one can take away from you. Seize the opportunity!

Michelle

A women's college with a gifted program and a women's military leadership program.

I?ve always been passionate about math and science. Craving more academic challenge, I discovered Mary Baldwin College?s Program for the Exceptionally Gifted (PEG) and was accepted as a fully matriculated college student at the age of 13. I?ve earned 68 credits, earning a 4.0 GPA and my coursework includes Organic Chemistry, Discrete Math and Linear Algebra. I participated in environmental chemistry research this past semester and was hired as a Calculus tutor at age 14. I am a Chemistry major, minoring in Math and Economics. I plan to pursue a Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry. My ultimate goal is to earn a degree in law, focusing on a science-related field, such as patent or environmental law. My confidence in my abilities to succeed is based upon my determination, focus, and disciplined study habits. The PEG program, for women ages 13-17, www.mbc.edu/PEG is only for self disciplined, determined students. I would not recommend it as an escape from high school. It is a safe, serene campus with a very friendly population. My choices have not always been popular but I?m very happy with my decision, it satisfied my need for challenge.

The PEG program for early entrance gifted girls. A great place to make friends, skip high school and to get a start on college early. Safe environment in a small historic town. Staunton Virginia

Melanie

Small class size, special program for early entrance. All women

Small class size, special program for early entrance. All women

In 10th grade, I became interested in an early entrance program that enables bright and driven young women who are ready for a challenge, to skip high school. Mary Baldwin?s Program for the Exceptionally Gifted (PEG) www.mbc.edu/peg offers motivated students age 13 to 17 a way to accelerate their education by enrolling full time as a residential college student pursuing a bachelor?s degree. Now that I am a sophomore at age 16, and a Biochemistry major, would I do it again? Absolutely. To date, in college I?ve studied General Chemistry, Biology, Medical Anthropology, Calculus and Ethics among other liberal arts classes. In this upcoming semester I will delve deeper into Genetics, Anatomy, and Biology of Women. I?ve had the opportunity to study alongside other talented young women as intellectual peers. The opportunity to reach my goal to become a medical researcher earlier, has made my journey an immensely exciting experience while enabling me to study independently. The PEG program, specifically its science program and research opportunities, will be my stepping stone to medical school at an early age in my quest to find cures to the many diseases that plague the human condition.

Kathryn

Mary Baldwin is a very welcoming place for adults; I can't really speak for the young women who attend.

I did not attend college directly after high school, as many of my friends did. I sincerely wish I could talk to my high school self and tell her not to let the opportunity for a traditional college experience pass her by! For years, I could not pass young people proudly posing for pictures in graduation attire without wanting to cry. I think I could have been very happy in college. I would tell myself not to be afraid and to embrace the experience. I would like to have attended a college in another state, to get some distance from my family and learn to stand on my own feet. I would tell her to enjoy finding out who she is, and to not apologize for it!

I think any young woman could be happy at this school! It's a woman's college so I guess the only people who shouldn't apply are men!

Jaquana

I would describe my school as caring, helpful, beautiful, creative, strong, intellectual, logical, fun, friendly and unique.

My classmates are smart, friendly, helpful, useful, independent, and creative.

The advice I will give myself is be yourself by not letting others influence you. Stay focus on your career goals and don't stress out. If you need advice from your teachers or peers ask because the will help you. Don't wait to the last minute to do your work and turn in all assignments on time. College is not real hard all you have to do is manage your time properly so you can complete everything you need to on time. Making friends with your peers is helpful so you don't have to spend your whole college experience alone. Also joining clubs on campus is a fun experience where you can meet alot of people and maybe go to other colleges to compete and get to know other college students.

Amber

A community that betters one's social outlook, and position, with campus friendliness and small classes, with close teacher and student interaction.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, when I was in high school, I would say one thing: do not stress over college, it is very similar to high school. If I had known that college would be almost the same as my high school environment was, then I would not have tormented myself over what to expect when I started college. I would have been more relaxed and performed better, academically, than I did. And the most important thing is that I would have been more at ease, had more fun, and taken more life experiences with me. If I had had that advice I would have been less stressed, so I would have studied better, and I would have participated in more campus activities.

I can not think of anything that frustrates me about Mary Baldwin.

Jen

One thing I would definitely say to my high school senior self would be to not expect college life to fulfill my exact expectations. I had a certain picture in my mind of how living at college would be, but I have learned that if you enter a situation thinking that you know exactly how it will be, there will always be disappointments. Sometimes certain aspects of college life drive me crazy, but you just have to learn to let them go and appreciate all of the benefits of college life, such as the close friendships you will make and all of the opportunities which will allow you to expand yourself and your knowledge. There are certainly disappointments, but there are also aspects of college life which I did not expect and which are some of my favorite parts about being at college, including the unforgettable moments that come from living in a dorm. Overall, my main advice to myself would be to keep an open mind and to enter the college life willing to embrace and accept every part of it.

I don't have very much to complain about, but the worst thing would have to be the general education requirements. I'm not entirely sure how they match up with other schools' requirements, but it just seems as if there are a lot. I transferred to Mary Baldwin during my junior year, so it's somewhat stressful to know that I only have two years to fit in my major and minor requirements and any missing general education requirements.

I always brag about the small number of students. It's really wonderful to be able to walk around campus and continually see people that you know. A smaller campus also enables smaller class sizes which is much more beneficial for me than being in a class with over 30 students. It seems inconceivable to me that students at large universities have classes with 100 people in them. The small class size also makes professors much more accessible, and I've actually had dinner at a couple professors' houses.

Jonee'

If I could go back I would definitely be straight about putting my priorities first, and staying focused, and being you, because it gets hard even though you want to be focused on your education, you can get caught up in the drama, fun, and being close to others. I would also remind myself of how important it is to stay up on the financial aid process, and how important it is to ckeck on your account and just get scholarships, because they are available all year round. Also to take advantage of the resources that surround you because if you don't have many people to lean on their is always someone there, and something you can use to help you and build you, to remind you and boost your confidence that you can make it, and in the end it will be worth it.

The difficulty of the classes because, if your looking for a challenge and a decent education it would be good to know when coming here.

I would suggest anyone who is looking for a small school, and the opportunity to be able to have a close relationship with your professors, and someone who is looking for the option to choose how you want to work your schedule, and anyone who is interested in their bacground, and have already chosen a specific major, because their is a lot to learn, and all the programs are great.

Mary Baldwin University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.