Macon, GA
Mercer University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercer University

Jordan

Its liberal arts school and rigorous academic curriculm

Its liberal arts school and rigorous academic curriculm

During your senior year your social life becomes more of a priority than academics. I often chose not to take rigorous classes or classes that would require a lot of outside studying so that I would have time to socialize and hang with friends. When I enrolled in college many of my peers transferred AP credits and dual enrollment credits. This allowed them to not only to graduate earlier, but they also had an advantage when it came to study skills and time management. Being exposed to college level classes allowed them to be better prepared for the work load and expectations of a college professor. If I could go back in time I would have challanged myself more by enrolling in more college level classes. This would have made for a better transition into college by letting me dip my toe in the water before diving in the pool.

Shelly

I attend the Atlanta campus of Mercer University. It is a very small school in a very large city. The professors all know you by name and genuinely care about your success. Coming from a larger university, I was amazed at how personal the professors are with their students. It is a fantastic place for academic success.

As a freshman at a large university, I was overwhelmed with the amount of people and the large variety of opportunities available to me. My reaction to this culture shock was to surround myself with comfortable people and places. That was the worst decision I have ever made. There are so many opportunities available to you in college - one's that you will never have the chance to take part in again. Seize the moment. The worst thing you can do for yourself is to stay in your comfort zone. If you are a religous person, find an organization that allows you to practice your religion. If you have played sports all through highschool but are not on the university team, find an intramural group and continue to play your sport. College is all about finding the "new you" but it is also very important to keep the parts of you that define you most.

In order to attend this school, one should be a self-starter, not afraid to ask questions, and not afraid to take out loans for tuition and living expenses. Mercer is very expensive but the difference in the professors is 100% worth it!

My school is best known for the D-1 basketball team. We play in the NCAA, but bearly compete with the opponents.

First I would tell my self to start looking for scholarships sooner than I did. Also to not come in to school with the mind set that school is school and I can handle this with no questions asked. Another thing is that I would tell myself to get to know people before you decide to try to get close to them and try to get them to have your back like you would have theirs no questions asked.

The price of tuition and the financial aid available for the school is outrageous.

Dania

My classmates were friendly and sociable

My classmates were friendly and sociable

I would be hypothetically honest with myself by saying conduct thorough research and visit the admissions office; talk to the counselors and program directors; become familiar with the campus; live on campus. I would want to expand my horizon. I would want to particpate in as many activities as possible to gain sufficient experience. I would just take advantage of the oppurtunities that college have to offer by utilizing the academic facilities. I mean, there is so much out there to learn about that we can never stop learning. Lastly, I would say to myself study, study, and study, focus on your studies.

I talk about the coursework we did during class.

Jason

Transitioning into college life and college classes is extremely tough. The level of work required is incredibly more than what your used to in high school. The college life is amazing. There is nobody to tell you what to do anymore. That means there is nobody to tell you to do your homework, or study, or go to bed at a reasonable hour. You have to have your own motivation to do things. This is the beginning of the rest of your life. The past doesn't matter anymore, but what you do in the next few years will determine the rest of your life. Make sure you spend as much time with the family as you possibly can. Dad doesnt have much time left. He's not going to be here when you need him the most. He is not going to be here to help you transition into college. Any questions you have you need to ask now because your not going to be able to later.

The only major complaint i have is about the food. It's terrible. Im sure its healthy and nutricious but it tasts horrible. I definately think the food should and could be better.

Mercer is a very easy school to become accepted to. I recieved a free application in the mail from the university. I filled it out a sent it in. I was not even required to write an essay. Just because its so easy to get into doesnt mean its easy to stay. Merer is a very difficult school to stay enrolled in. I already know many students who have already withdrawn after only the first semester.

Victoria

My classmates are : My best friends, my tutors, and they are some of the most amazing people I have ever met.

I would tell myself to learn time management and do no procrastinate. In high school, it was easier to "get away" with the small things, like one missing assignment or essay. In college it is completely different. In order to maintain your grades you need to plan and use your time effectively in order to maximize your time for studying. Many time you hear the saying, "Sleep, Grades, Social Life, pick two. Welcome to college", well, this does not have to be the case. I learned this the hard way freshman year of college and now that I have learned to use my time wisely, I have now have time for classes, my greek organization, volunteer work and I have a job. It's all about being organized and using time management. I wish someone had told me that in high school.

Someone who is career driven, wants to succeed and loves a positive environment to work hard, and play hard.

Jeanette

My school is great for returning students. Mercer Univerisity offers classes at night and during the weekend for people who work full time and have families at home.

I would tell myself to buckle down and make sure I get good grades. I would also, tell myself to not take the grant money for granted because, if I lose the grant, college is very expensive. Moreover, I would let myself know that although college is hard do not give up I can do anything I put my mind to.

Rucsandra

The single best advice, that took me four years to understand, is strategic quitting. Strategic quitting simply means quitting the right stuff at the right time. Quit endeavors that will lead to dead ends. Instead, place that time and energy into projects that will produce returns on your investment of resources. One way to do that is to master something. Mastery is about being the best, which requires quitting other pursuits to focus on developing talents and work towards being the best in an area. People naturally gravitate toward a winner or someone who is number one. People want the best, whether it is the best heart surgeon or the best brand of ice-cream. It pays to be the best. But like most things, the definition of ?the best? is relative. In college, the best is determined by GPA; never let anyone persuade you that the value is insignificant. That number will be used by employers or graduate schools to filter the outstanding and extraordinary candidates from the mediocre ones. And because people want the best, the outstanding candidates with high GPAs will get the position. Invest time and energy in your education and it will pay off.

Someone who wants a personalized education and interaction with professors and who doesn't want to be viewed as a number by the administration should attend. The majority of classes have no more than 30 students, professors are helpful and very accomodating. Anyone who really wants to get involved with extracurricular activities and leadership positions should also apply. Over 90% of students receive financial aid and on campus housing is spacious and very affordable. If you want to expand your educational opportunities and be challenged, Mercer University is the school for you!

The school has a dry campus, and anyone caught drinking pays a fine. So if you need alcohol to have fun on a regular basis, don't attend. Of course, there are others who do drink on campus, take the risk of getting caught, and don't. Also, don't attend if you intend on cheating. Failure of the class and suspension can result.

Ramona

Mercer is very intergetic, inviting, and helpful to all students.

Mercer is very intergetic, inviting, and helpful to all students.

As a high school senior, I did not have the understanding of how to go about entering into college. My parents did not finish high school and did not have the understanding of saving for my college tuition. It was not until I married and had children of my own did I understand the importance of saving for college. If I were able to go back to my high school years, I would do more research and talk to my peers about entering into college. I would get help from them in choosing a college right for me. I would have begun to work on all of the things necessary to get me to the next level of education. Now at 46, I am still chasing my dream of being an educator. It took 10 years for me to pass a math test. I am now in the certification program and hope to complete the program at the end of this year. The best advise I would give to myself is, Never Give Up!

Winifred

Mercer University is best known for their pre-professional programs such as pharmacy, medicine, engineering, business, and music. They offer a variety of courses to not only prepare you for your field of study but to also become well rounded in all areas. The pre-pharmacy program has a guaranteed admissions programs that allows the student to attend Mercer's pharmacy school in Atlanta, Georgia. The engineering program is one of the top engineering programs inthe nation. These professional tracts allow the student to explore that field and prepare them for the next step after college.

A piece of advice I would give myself would be to allow time to have fun and don?t be bogged down with so much work. I would tell myself to tackle homework early and study notes for tests more than a week beforehand. Reading over material and notes each night and picking up a little information along the way is helpful for studying for tests. That hinders the possibility of cramming the night before because the information would have been digested by then. I would also encourage myself to be involved and choose activities wisely so as to not eliminated study time. I would tell myself to ask for help at the first sign of trouble and not be ashamed for asking. The biggest thing is spending money wisely and buying cheaper books online before going to the bookstore. Other than that only experience can make me a better college student.

The best thing about Mercer University is the lively campus and endless activities that occurr on campus. They are a tremendous amount of organizations to become apart of in addition to Greek life as well. Homecoming games, iceless ice skating, and bonfires are only a few things that take place on Mercer's campus. Even the academic clubs have fun organizing experiments for the rest of the student body to experience. Everything that takes place on campus brings students together and become like a big Mercer family!

Mercer University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.