Dobbs Ferry, NY
Mercy College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercy College

Brandon

If i could go back and tell myself as a high school student what to expect and be ready for in college, I would start off by saying come prepared day 1. In high school things are very laid back and you can get away with alot more. In college, you need to take it serious from day one because more than likely they will start teaching material by day 2, if not day 1! The next thing i would tell myself is although the schedule is way less time spent in school, do not miss days just because! Attendance in college is so important not only so you do not hit your absence limit, but also so you stay on top of the material. If you have a class two days a week and you miss a day, you probably missed out on alot of valuble information! The final thing i would tell myself is to always take good notes and study as often as possibly! You are alot more responsible for you own education in college and it is the link to your future. Not to mention you only get one shot, so make it count!

Debbie Ann

Debbie-Ann, college life can best be described in three words : A different world. You will enter this world with little supervision and no one to hold your hand so you must be your own advisor and remind yourself of why you came to college, to succeed. Life doesn't have a do over button and everyday counts so please manage your time wisely and get great grades because if you don't graduate you will be doing it all over again. College life will expose you to alcohol and parties which will be your biggest downfall. My best advice to you would be to stay away. I encourage you to find a balance between studying and having fun but take the time to reflect on all the things you love now and seek out those that have the same interests. Lastly, remember to take your Bible. Let this be your guide- in all things remember that God has always answered your prayers and he will your best friend. You will reach a bump in the road so I want you to look this word up and no matter what remember it: Tenacity.

I can't think of anything that I regret about my experience so far. I did the research on the program I chose to enroll in and the staff was in constant communication with me and met my needs.

I think this school is a great match for any adult who is working full time and would like to go back to school. They offer an excellent program that caters to the working individual with classes that take place during the evenings, the advisory staff constantly reaches out to the student via email, and the campus is very accessible by bus and car (the highway is less than three minutes away). I also appreciated the fact that parents were able to bring their children to the campus while they pursued their education.

James

I wish I was told to be more outgoing sooner in the year, because its hard to make friends if you only leave your room for class. Be friendly and open-minded. I really started making friends when I put myself out there and started going to events and socializing.

What's the Greek scene like?

There isn't really any frats or sororities on campus. The only housing resembling that is due to certain teams such as lacrosse having their own house to dorm in.

Tell us about your professors.

Since class sizes aren't in the fifties or hundreds, you can really have a teacher/student relationship with your professor. Professors will know your name and are dedicated to helping you succeed.

I think every student should at least know their way around campus and come with an open mind whether about socializing and meeting new people or joining different clubs and benefit organizations.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

There is a big involvement with sports with many of the students attending Mercy. Although there is no football team, students play on the field hockey team, lacrosse team, baseball team, soccer team, etc.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The library has an extensive list of books and have helpful librarians ready to assist anyone who needs help with research or have trouble with anything in the library. They have their own cafe and a quiet section where students can really focus if need be.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose to attend this school because it was one of the only schools to offer Music Production/Technology and was relatively cheap compared to tuition of offer school with this program.

Classes are not filled with fifty or more students so you really can have a one-on-one relationship with their professor if needed. I am in the music production/technology program so I take classes based on the fundamentals of music as well as the technology and techniques involved with recording in a studio or during live performances. General education classes are focused on learning for the sake of learning, but classes within your major are definately geared towards education for job seeking.

The stereotype is that this school is mostly for Vet Tech. majors or Pre Med. majors and while that is one of the more popular majors, there are many other really good programs and this school such as the Music Production/Technology program or the communications program.

Monica

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a high school senior I would impress upon my self the importance of organizational skills, study habits and communication with professors/teachers. Organizational skills are of the utmost importance when it comes to class deadlines as it pertains to assignments, projects, financial aid, scholarships, and registration. If deadlines are missed it could have costly results. Organization is imperative maintain for final papers and assignments that require several steps for completion. When one maintains exceptional organizational skills it will prevent the student from having to double back. Study habits are also essential to success in school. During high school years students tend to "wing it" however, if good study habits are not learned during school aged years it will be hard to develop, not impossible, during college years. If these skills are taken seriously during high school these needed skill will already be in line for the college years. Communication with professors are also key when it comes to understanding the teachers expectations and completion of assignments. Open communication between student and professor is always for the benefit of the student.

During my enrollment at Mercy College, I found that the school catered to the working or employed student. I was working full time as well as attending school full time night. Many of the courses that I needed to graduate were offered in the evening and it was at such an hour that I did not have to rush from work to school but allowed me sufficient time to arrive at school in a timely manner. Mercy College also has several campuses which coincided with my very busy schedule allowing me to take any class necessary at any particular campus.

During my enrollment at Mercy College, I found that the professors were very interested in the growth and success of their students. Their concern for me encouraged me to do my best, to take my college experience serious as well as strive for more. My relationships with each professor I found to be unique and was a key factor in my completion of the program. It also the successful background of each professor that also ignited a fire within me to want more out of life and to obtain the most I could out of my college experience.

Natasha

A world in a bubble full of hot air going nowhere.

A world in a bubble full of hot air going nowhere.

I would tell myself to be more attentive, not everything is what it seems. I would tell myself that I will make mistakes and to not beat myself up over them because they are necessary for growth. I would tell myself that at the first hint that there is something wrong with a college go somewhere else. Instincts never lie and if you smell a fish it's somewhere in the room. Stay out of state, learn different cultures and lifestyles, and never settle for the mundane. Most importantly not to rush and try to do everything at all at once, relax and enjoy.

The most frustating thing about my school are the lies. They lie about the quality of the rooms, food, they even lie about the athletics. If the advisors aren't in your field they have no clue what's going on so you ask why they would even give you an advisor outside of your field. It seems as if they have students incharge of everything and you can never find the person who's really incharge. It's very very very disorganized.

Ruth

If I could go back one year and advise myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself several things. Education is important, and a huge part of successful learning is being ready to face whatever comes to you. Try your hardest to achieve straight A’s in your college courses that you’re taking this year. If you do, by the end of freshman year, you will have a 4.0 GPA! Be extra organized as you start college because it’s too easy to forget assignment and tests that you need to study for. Most of all, remember the finish line. You’re doing this because you have dreams and aspirations and you care about the future. There will be ups and downs in school, but don’t be discouraged. When you’re older, you'll look back and be thankful that you were fortunate enough to continue your education. Remember that knowledge is something that no one can ever take away from you. Your degree will help you find a career that you love, and you will be able to live a comfortable, happy, content, and satisfied life. Keep Going! It’ll all be worth it.

lindsey

Keep God first, he won't let you down! Do more in high school and make an effort to be involved, don't just sit on the sidelines. College is all about being active, and you will regret it if you don't make an effort to fit in! Don't give into peer pressure, your friends will like you for who you are and the other people won't matter in the long run. Your grades do matter. Try hard in school so that you can go straight into a unniversity and not a junior college. Learn to save money, and save for school, loans will add up! Listen to your parents, they're on your side more than you think.

Maxine

If I could travel time I would pack up my delorean and tell my past self to cut the nonsense. College is a process. It’s going to take a number of events to achieve just one step. Studying comes before socializing. You will have plenty of opportunities to have fun after you graduate. Make sure you're prepared to take your sat because no college is going to want someone who is a slacker. When you get to college you will fend for yourself. Nothing is handed to you on a silver platter. If you want something get it and do it early too. Don't let anyone get in the way of your main priority and that is yourself. There are plenty of boys to go gaga for later down the road and you can make friends anytime. Remember discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.

I wish I would have known how much I would be taking out in loans before it came too close to the admissions deadline.

I love that my school has small class rooms. It's really easy to learn and communicate with my proffesors. I also love that the school is really close to home and compared to other schools tuition isin't too bad.

Eric

A helpful institution that can help me achieve my goals and access my career.

A helpful institution that can help me achieve my goals and access my career.

Transitioning into my first year of college was very difficult for me. There are some ways that I would change if I had the chance to. Not knowing what campus life was like, I was unprepared for college. If given a chance to return to my senior year in high school and give myself advice, I would prepare myself more efficiently. First, I would have been more financially balanced. I would have saved most of my money earned from working during my senior year and in the summer instead of spending my money on unnecessary items. I also would have applied for more online scholarships to help pay for my freshman semesters. Second, my grades for my senior year of high school would have been better in order to raise my grade point average coming into college. Maybe if i registered for summer courses i would have been a little ahead in college. Last, I would have prioritized for college better. A set time schedule would have been effective. My class schedule would revolve around times I have free to study and get enough rest for the next class or any other school activity I might be involved in.

Mercy College is not just any regular institution. It is a place where you can study all types of fields and your professors are friendly and very helpful. I would recommend a student who is social and hard working to attend this school. A student who isn't afraid to network with other people and meet new faces often will also suceed at this college. It would also be very helpful if you socialize with your professor often so he/ she can help you reach your goals for each class.

Oscar

Mercy College is a great College overall and very well known. It caters to students of all types and the school schedule is convenient... many programs to choose from... accelerated programs for undergraduates and graduates... It's very good for student and faculty interaction.

Honestly, you get out of Mercy what you put into it. They do accept almost anyone with a pulse--so some of the students are bright and driven, and others are just going to college to say they went to college. However, almost every faculty member I have dealt with has been extremely interested in teaching the students who want to learn. My professors have taught at, and been educated at, Columbia, Pace, and Harvard, etc. I have never had a large class, and feel as though I have learned a lot. Professors very insightful and everyone works with eachother.

I will explain, how my past choices and strong family values and support have lead me into making better choices for my future. I suffered the disappointment of not getting into any of the choices for High School I applied for. I remember the feeling I had when I opened the first letter and saw that I was not accepted. I was upset but still had hope that one of the other choices I applied for would accept me. My mother cradled me in her arms and assured me that it was going to be okay. With supreme effort and support of my family, I was accepted to St. Raymond’s. I was extremely grateful to St. Raymond’s for accepting me. My dream school was All Hallows High School, and with hard work and perseverance I was accepted into the school in my sophomore year. I have learned so much from my parents about life and what I must do in order to get where I'm today. I am very fortunate to have so much support from my family and mentor to do better. I thank you for taking the time to read my essay.

Mercy College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.