Michigan State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Michigan State University

Holly

Michigan State University is a very diverse and beautiful campus that provides many amazing opportunities for all of its students. Both the students and professors are very motivated. Michigan State University is a top research campus with nationally ranked programs that would be a perfect fit for any one seeking a great education.

Obehi

Michigan State University is a great university that excels in academic, social, and personal growth. The large student body provides a community in which students can make connections with new information and people from all over the world. Clubs and campus involvement are prominent and encouraged to promote a positive personal experience, despite its "big school" vibe. There truly is something for everyone.

India

Michigan State University is an outstanding institution. We pride ourselves on not only the athletics but academics as well. MSU campus is very resourceful having many places to eat, study, or get tutoring. The diversity of the institution is what i like most about it. It's a friendly campus and an opportunity to meet many people building life long friendships.

MaKenzie

The university has much to offer and I am looking forward to earning my bachelors in psychology from this school.

Shae

MSU has a beautiful campus that allows students to work, live, and play in an everchanging atmosphere. Students at MSU have opportunities to converse and interact with students and faculty from many walks of life which provides a broader perspective on the world. Overall MSU has great opportunities to help each individual succeed in the next stages of their lives.

Elexi

Michigan State University is the home I always dreamed of. I originally chose it because it is close to home and I was comfortable going there, but within a week of being in East Lansing, I fell completely head-over-heels in love with this place! It has a new, warm spot in my heart that I never knew existed that has come from the social, educational, cultural, athletic, and political aspects of Michigan State University. This campus really does have it all - from religious organizations for many faiths, varying class sizes for versatile learning experiences, a talented and supportive teaching staff that encourages success, beautiful natural Michigan scenery, state-of-the-art on-campus housing and amenities, delicious foods, fun (and safe) activities, and most of all, an insane number of kind, genuine, excited students who have made a campus of 50,000 a much smaller, friendlier world. I did not expect to fall in love with this place, but I have and now my blood runs green!

Nia

I am indifferent to the environment and culture MSU has. On one side, there is a wealth of opportunities and selective support to meet student where they are to achieve their goals. Oppositely, we have an administration focus on the progress of their personal interest instead of the students interest. As a student, it saddens me to know students of color still pay a unseen price at predominately white institutions.

The school itself was gigantic and very impersonal, and the professors all read off a PowerPoint and did not seem to be enthusiastic about the subjects they taught. Some were not even at their own office hours, and were instead ran by teaching assistants. The dorms were fun but not luxurious by any means. It also took about 40 minutes to walk across the whole campus. Overall, I’m happier to be attending Grand Valley State University, a smaller school.

Jamil

Most student would expect the size of the school to be a problem, but it isn't. Its a wonderful opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. Michigan State wasn't my first choice for college, but I definitely do not regret choosing MSU over higher ranked schools.

Hailey

I love MSU campus, it was my favorite among all that I visited. The dorms and facilities were very impressive, especially the sporting facilities. The vast number of opportunities this school offers in programs to study are impressive and won me over.

I love the school but not the way things are currently run. College is a great opportunity to grow as a person, and MSU enables that self journey. You are responsible for yourself, you will not be coddled, but there is forgiveness and help if you ask for it. The community is friendly and very open minded. There is opportunity to try just about anything, good and bad.

Liam

It's a great academic school with a very fun environment, I'm incredibly happy to attend. There are plenty of extracurricular activities, including clubs of all kinds and school sponsored tailgates, so students always have opportunities to engage with others.

While Michigan State has recently had its fair share of troubles, the institution is committed to the betterment of the Spartan experience for all students. Michigan State University has implemented multiple mandatory programs to further educate students on the prevention of sexual assault and relationship violence. The University places intercultural aides in every residence hall to instill acceptance and lessons of cultural diversity among the student body. Additionally, a wide variety of organizations and classes ensure that every student's interests will be represented and that everyone will have something they love on campus. Michigan State is my home and I am proud of the improvements the institution is making.

Erik

My time at MSU was an amazing and interesting experience. I made plenty of friends, joined organizations that cared about their members, and met professors at the top of their fields. However, at times I felt as though the academic challenge was not to par.

Katie

There has been a lot of scandal surrounding the school under past leadership, but our current President has been absolutely fantastic. The campus is absolutely stunning; especially during the spring and fall where the trees, flowers, and rivers flourish with life. I feel safe while walking around campus and the scenery gives my solace during the difficult study weeks. Professors can be a hit or miss, but I have meet some of my favorite mentors through my courses at Michigan State. I would have never chose to go anywhere else for my undergraduate studies, and have found my place and voice within this university. I am ecstatic that I will be able to continue to call this campus my home for the next four years as I pursue my degree in veterinary medicine; of which Michigan State ranked eighth in the world and third in the country. Go green!

I was concerned when I originally came here that the immense size of Michigan State would create an unindividualized learning environment and that it would be too overwhelming. While the size of campus certainly is intimidating, the large class size only provides more opportunities and more places for students to feel at home in the endless amount of extracurricular activities. MSU is sometimes described as a party school and although we know how to have fun on the weekends, the academic rigor and emphasis placed on the importance of studies are often overlooked and overshadowed. Overall, it is a great place to pursue a college education. Go Green!

Alexandra

It is a very, very good school. Expensive, but very good for the beautiful campus and great professors. I would more recommend it for STEM majors since many facilities cater to them, but other majors like agricultural ones are also greatly cared for at MSU.

Hollie

Michigan State University is a great school for all kinds of people! They have a wide range of majors and activities for everybody to join. They have quite the reputation for a party school, but it's very safe and nobody is forced or pressured to get involved.

Breann

Michigan State has a great spread of programs and activities which serve students of all backgrounds creating a very diverse campus. Sports and traditions mix with new innovations and education making Michigan State University a true melting pot for the community. Where campus falls short is implementing practices to round out campus. They claim to have the best allergen listings of any cafeterias yet often the signs are mislabeled leaving students gravely ill. Or extracurricular activities added or canceled with no warning making participation difficult at best. Michigan State is a diamond in the rough, with some clean up around the edges it could be state of the art, but until that happens its indistinguishable from every other worthless rock on the sea floor.

Katelyn

My overall opinion on Michigan State University is that it is extremely welcoming to students. There is always tons and tons to do, and there has not been a single day where I have found myself bored! Campus is beautiful and the students are always put first. I could not ask for a better school! Go green!

Madelyn

Michigan State University is an incredible school. From the sports to the clubs to the constant activities on campus, there is something at MSU for everyone. All of the facilities are great and the professors are kind and accessible. I have only been here for one semester, but I am already so in love with the school!

Aniea

My overall opinion of Michigan State University is that it's a great college to attend and that you wouldn't be as disappointed but it's not as diversity as I would like but besides that main issue it's a pretty good college

Madison

Michigan State University is my home way from home. Michigan State offers excellent academics, career guidance, housing, food, and ways to get involved on campus. During my time so far, I have received so many great academic and career opportunities. The class sizes do tend to be bigger, but the classes are more specialized which allows for a large variety of interests to be met.

Jayson

My Freshman year I was involved with government, which is a pretty tight group at MSU. It's a very active campus and we are pretty involved in a lot of different things. There's are variety of different groups you can join on campus and the food is pretty good too.

Angela

I enjoy the campus and the overall university life. Michigan state is expensive and you don’t get much aid unfortunately but, I love my university. There are a decent amount of downfalls between class size and price but if you want a big university with lots of resources I’d say it’s one of the best!

I absolutely love the spirit and environment at Michigan State and can't wait to attend in the fall of 2020. There are so many different clubs to join, so many different sports you can be in, and all the arts and music programs to be involved in. It's a great school and is located in a great town.

Kamryn

This school is not only great academically, but the environment on campus is one that encourages the mental and emotional health of students in order for them to succeed. There is a very diverse range of interests and students which I believe is the best way to create well-rounded members of society.

madeline

I really love Michigan State, but I think there are many things they can improve upon. Specifically, the scholarships that they give out and grants because they are known for giving absolutely terrible financial aid. I also think that. they could do a better job of renovating and keeping all buildings newly updated and clean.

Coming out of my Michigan high school, I was not sure where I wanted to attend college, I just knew that it had to be somewhere in-state because that was all that my family could afford. My number one option was Michigan State University and I was very relieved and ecstatic to receive that acceptance letter in the mail. Most things about my freshman year at Michigan State have been spectacular. I am a huge major sports fan, so it was a little disappointing to see our football team perform as poorly as they did, but the games and tailgates were fun nonetheless. After a disappointing football season, it was nice to see our basketball team perform as well as they did and win its second consecutive Big Ten Championship. Dorm life has definitely had its ups and downs, but I have mostly enjoyed it and would recommend everybody lives at least one year of their lives in a dorm. So much goes on that we are rarely bored as you can walk down the hall or next door to someone else’s room and have a conversation and find a good time. The downside of the dorm is the occasional bad roommate. There can also be some inconsiderate dorm members that will make large amounts of noise the night before a big exam. If it begins to be too much, you can always call the RA’s phone number and issue a noise complaint and it will quiet them down in no time. Other important parts of college are classes and even food selection, which I have not had many problems with so far. Of course, cafeteria food gets a little tiring, but our culinary services tries very hard to give us a lot of options so there will always be something to eat for anybody. All in all, Michigan State has been a blast and I would recommend for anybody to attend: Go Green!

Karley

I love Michigan State University. The school has many learning opportunities and is a good university choice. Not only are academics important among the students on campus, but athletics play a big role in the environment and how enjoyable life is in East Lansing. Weekend football games create a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere; it brings everyone together to connect over similar interests. I've met some of my best friends at Michigan State and recommend the school to everyone I know.

Hunter

I really love Michigan State University. I'm a transfer student from Oakland Community College and they accepted all of my credits from the two-year institution. I was extremely nervous when I first got on campus, however after I got to know my surroundings and realized the people were so nice and wonderful, it made my transition a lot easier!

Alton

Michigan State University is an one of kind Big 10 school. The campus is huge, it is always something to do, one thing for sure is that they are big on diversity and inclusion. I am honestly extremely happy that I attend and will graduate from Michigan State University. This school has showed me what the real world will be like and how to survive and thrive in this type of world. I can truly say that Michigan State University has made me into a true Renaissance Man; something I have always wanted to be.

Diamond

I love Michigan State. Here, I've made so many connections and life long friends. There are also endless resources to help you in your college career. On the other hand, the campus is very big and it is very hard to get from class to class sometimes.

Molly

I like it here a lot. I'm relatively new, so the campus is very intimidating. I have heard the campus size you get more used to the longer you are here. the teachers have all been brilliant so far, and the parking here is a joke. Green and white is what every person here bleeds!

Matthew

Overall, MSU was one of the best decisions of my life. As a 18 year old out-of-state student, I wasn't sure what to expect. Immediately everyone was esay going and open to meeting new people. I felt welcomed the beginning. The academics prepared me for the "real" world and gave me the tools to succeed in the professional career.

Kierstyn

Since beginning my time here at Michigan State University, I can honestly say that my personal experience thus far has been relatively well. While there were still some ups and downs as I adapted to this new college life, I've met some dedicated faculty members, as well as made some great friends who were/ are here to help me along my journey.

Hadiya

Overall, Michigan State is a great school. It's big enough to not feel stifled, but there are various groups in which to find a niche. I am a senior Music major, and the College of Music has a great faculty. There are plenty of sports events (that I don't attend), and a thriving Christian community in East Lansing. The campus is relatively diverse, dependent upon which neighborhood you reside in. Go Green!

Walter

I really like Michigan State, overall they're a really good school . My uncle and dad both attended the university and I feel I would enjoy my college life there as well. I've been there many times, there campus is really nice and has lots of things around it and is really safe. They also offer a lot of programs and opportunities to the students. I think I would have a really good time there, especially because they have a good advertising program.

Kathryn

I have wanted to attend this college my whole life. My mom went here and it has always been the number one college on my list. I think this is a great school. The campus is beautiful, and the football team is one of the best. There are plenty of places to eat and a nice bus system to get from class to class. The spirit is great and can’t forget about the ice cream!!

Cassidy

I enjoy the atmosphere of Michigan State because there is something for everyone. There are things for the student that is not into sports. There are things to do for the student that needs to get away from the books for a moment. There is a community around our campus to give students a break from the dorm life.

Tiana

MSU is a good school, but I'm not sure it's worth the money. To be fair, I'm paying for most of my college alone, but it's expensive, and although the campus is somewhat diverse, the staff is not. I think the academic atmosphere is great, but if you can go to school cheaper in any way, I would recommend it. The party atmosphere is great if you're into that.

I bleed green and white! Student Life at Michigan State University is amazing and it was such a great experience for me! The culture is like a family and you and all your fellow Spartans feel connected and at home. Michigan State to this day, is a place that I call home and if you attend you will not regret it! Get ready for the experience of a lifetime and the opportunity to show what Spartans are made of!

Adam

Michigan State University is an incredible university, and I feel privileged for attending this institution. My professors genuinely care about my success, and go above and beyond all expectations I had prior to arriving. Although Larry Nassar created an environment of uneasiness and tension on campus, I know MSU does everything in its power a safe environment for its students. I am, indeed, very satisfied with the way MSU has handled the situation since the allegations first started coming out.

Zkrah

I feel like Michigan State University is a great school. The students and professors are extremely friendly. If you would love to study abroad, Michigan State is a great university with over 150 study abroad programs in countries all around the world. If you like to party there are always parties going on especially on the weekends. If you don’t like to party you can easily avoid that as there is no pressure into having to party. The meal plans here are great, you get unlimited access to the dining halls on campus as well as combos. Combo-x-change allows people with dining plans to choose an A, B, and C item 6 days a week from Spartys. With a combo, one could also get a takeout box from any dining hall and also get food from the on-the-go food truck. So if you have a meal plan, you never have to worry about being hungry. Michigan State is a very active campus as you can easily find something to do and clubs to join. Also, if you are trying to step outside of your comfort zone, Michigan State is the school for you. I changed so much ever since I started attending MSU and I am more confident in myself now. MSU also has a good football team so if you attend a game you won’t regret it. Everyone gets in the spirit of chanting, cheering, and tailgating. Furthermore, MSU has a great international student population, there is so much diversity in the student population here I absolutely love it. Overall, I strongly believe MSU is a great university and if you are considering attending I highly recommend it 

Caroline

Don’t go to school for anything other than engineering, computer science, or something through the business school. Otherwise you won’t find a job, at least not in your field. Learn from my mistakes. Be an engineer, even if math is terribly dull. Even the business college is iffy. It’s a terrible market even for half the stem majors. Whatever you do, don’t follow your passion.

lexa

It’s a very fun place to go to and I would recommend anyone to go check it out. The food is amazing and so are the classes. The teachers try to be as available as they can to help and the students are always a pleasure to meet. Everyone makes you feel welcome and that’s how it should be.

Madalyn

Michigan State University has always been a college that I've great things about. The professors and other facilitators are extremely dedicated to helping students from all backgrounds and of any age to do their best. Extracurricular activities are plentiful and of course of sports teams are a force to be reckoned with. With around 50,000 students the campus is very diverse and there is a range of clubs and events for people to learn and participate in to see people from all different walks of life. Michigan State offers amazing undergraduate, master, and professional degrees some of which that are ranked top 5 in the nation.

Caitlin

I love Michigan State University, while there a few things that could be improved overall MSU is a great school. Everything going on this year with Larry Nassar has brought up some issues that are being taken care of, but the school itself is still going strong.