Oakland, CA
Mills College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mills College

Natalie

Go to book renting sites to avoid spending all that money on books. Always check to make sure that you can get your books at cheaper prices. Also do not be afraid to talk to your professors. They are really nice and would love to get to talk to you because they are there to make sure you understand the material. Networking with these professors can help you later when you graduate college and start looking for a job. More importantly, eventhough the semester gets hectic, never stop looking for scholarships. Apply to as many as possible no matter what the scholarship amount is. Every little bit counts and it will drastically reduce how much money you will have to borrow from laons. Lastly, take advantage of all the resources your school offers because other students might not be so lucky. All those resources will make it easier for you to succeed in school. Being a first generation college student, does not mean that you have to do everything alone or by yourself.

The worst thing could be the food. It is awesome to be health conscience, but once in a while a little fried chicken is great.

The most frustrating thing about school is having to talk to the financial aid office. The hours of operation are sometimes not convinient.

mallory

Firstly, I would stop nagging my parents about letting me attend a four year university straight out of high school. I know now that going to the community college in the next town was a great transition experience and will better prepare me to take the plunge and move off by myself without any doubt that I can not just pass, but pass with flying colors. Secondly, I would make sure that I realize there is a balance between school and fun. Discipline yourself now so it won't be a hard change later. If you set aside a couple hours a day for your homework and studying, you will see there is plenty of 'me time' left in the day. This way, you won't get stressed out during midterms and finals when it seems that there is not enough time in the world to prepare yourself. Lastly, get out of your comfort zone and have fun! Other students are the best way to have a great time and get to know different cultures and worldviews. Use every tool you have got and do not be so shy!

Anika

Intelligent, fierece, strong, talented, accepting, loving, fun women.

Intelligent, fierece, strong, talented, accepting, loving, fun women.

A women's college education will make you a stong, intelligent, indepentent woman. Always trust and follow your heart; you always know what's best for yourself. Choosing Mills will be one of those "heart" decisions, it's hard work but you will be so proud of yourself when you're done, never give up. You are on your way to great things, just keep believing in your abilities, and love yourself as much as you can. You will have the greatest life long friendships, don't worry if you don't make friends right away. Everything will fall into place, but you're already on the right track.

Social life is almost non-existent. Most students commute so the campus isn't very active on the weekends. Course work also tends to be heavy so you'll spend a lot of time studying. Also most people will need a job to pay for college.

Troy

If I were to go back to talk to my high school self, I would have to tell myself that I need to look ahead of myself. That I need to think about what I need to do, as well as what I want. However; to get where I want I need to let go of the ties that bind me and accept that I'm going to need to put my needs ahead of my wants. In that, I need to do the work thats required of me regardless of wanting to get it done or not. That the people that I'm close to have good morals and beliefs. But they don't have the proper directional motivation that I'm going to need to get where I want to be. They will always be my friends, I just need to see the future that is in store for me. The future that I have right there at the ends of my fingertips.

Tamara

Note to Self: Start the process now, you are not as dumb as you thought. You COULD be successful with a little help from friends and family. Don't just assume that you are not college material. Everyone learns on a different level. You can do this.!!!

Jillien

A beautiful campus designed to empower and motivate it's students in supportive communities and outlets.

I would tell myself not to be afraid. I spent most of my high school career afraid of doing the wrong thing or saying the wrong thing. I would go back and tell myself that it doesn't matter because i am beautiful and I matter. I would tell myself to hold on because when I go to college, I will be loved and supported. People will care about me and they will listen to what I have to say, in fact they will celebrate my opinions and genuinly care about me as an individual and a scholar. It would be important to remind myself to have an open mind and to consider other people's opinions and beliefs. I would tell myself that I am making the right decision and that I will in fact, be happy very soon.

A very passionate woman who is dedicated to making a diffrence and creating a better place for people to live. Woman who are looking to further their education and live in a strong community dedicated to supporting others.

Imani

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is to choose my college very carefully, and base it specifically on my intended major. Another thing I would tell myself is to consider athletics when deciding which college to attend. When I chose Mills College, I chose it for the academics. I had told myself not to choose a school just because they had a lacrosse team. Looking back on my decision, I wish that I had chosen a school with a lacrosse team. I would tell myself not to worry about seeming too eager to make friends the first few days at school. Each person was just as desperate to make new friends as the next. Lastly, I would tell myself to stay awake later doing homework, and to not take as many study breaks as I did my first year. I was on Mills' Crew team, and I would go to sleep extremely early to wake up at 5:00 each morning. Instead of coming back from classes and putting off homework until later, I would tell myself to get it done early.

I consider the the diversity and openness to be the best thing about Mills College. The Mills community is very accepting of every type of person you can imagine. It doesn't matter what race you are, or what gender you identify with, or what religion you practice - there is a place for you at Mills. My school prizes the students who dare to be different and outspoken, and I think that is something unique, and to be cherished in a college.

I consider the lack of variety of courses to be the worst thing about Mills College. It is a small school, but I believe that with the cost of attendance, students should have a wider variety of courses to choose from. For example, I would like to take a course in zoology or some sort of animal science, however, there is no option to do that. If Mills College would add more specific courses to their curriculum, I think it would improve students' learning experience.

Ani

I would advice my high school senior self to leave behind high school, and come to college with an open mind for new experiences and new ways to get through classes. There are no expectations to meet from people, it is always best to just be yourself, especially when meeting new people. Also, collect a lot of quarters for laundry!

We get our own rooms (usually) and have great meal plans. Also, usually guaranteed classes, great professors, and support amongst faculty and the community.

Tarin

It's a sorority of misfits and artists and individuals committed to deconstructing societal ideals that we take for granted.

Activism, arts, getting women into fields dominated by men (sciences), revolutionaries, lesbians!, breeding the scholars of tomorrow, forming tiny exclusive communities based around identity politics

I absolutely love my school. I have been able to explore my passions, both inside and outside of the classroom. I have met both like minded people and those whose opinions differ from mine. I have learned to question everything and articulate exactly how controlling images and oppressive behaviors affect marginalized individuals in our society. I have met the most amazing friends, and had amazing interactions with faculty members who take my artistic endeavors seriously. I have seen how my interests (poetry and dance) translate into real world applications, especially in the diverse and vibrant San Francisco Bay Area art scene. Every day I am challenged, physically, academically, and emotionally.

Emmalee

I'm opening up more thanks to college. They focus a lot on student participation. They help you when you need it. As college teachers they are more honest than high school teachers. College helps prepare you for the real world in a way that high school doesn't. They have deadlines they stick to and more in depth projects and papers. They allow for more involvment from their students, and help us achieve life long friendships and connections.

Everything is the best thing about the school. There is a gate around the campus to keep the beautiful scenery in and the Oakland out. We have great class sizes. They give us bus passes for the local transit as well as a school charter bus. They have a buffet for every meal with vegan and vegetarian choices. The campus accomodates all types of people.

I can't think of anything bad about this school. The campus is gorgeous. The classes are incredible. The only problem is the chemistry lab equipment. Most of the science funds go to the bio classes.

Mills College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.