Boulder, CO
Naropa University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Naropa University

Lourdes

It's an awesome university! The professors are great, the curriculum is incredible.

Darshini

Naropa University is a Buddhist inspired college that is dedicated to the spiritual, intellectual, and emotional growth of its students. People from all walks of life are welcome here. We are a very "woke" school that strives to make everyone feel heard. That is one of the things I love the most about my school. We may not be big on sports or partying, but there are a lot of awesome activities happening on campus at any given time or day. The teachers are all extremely welcoming and patient. They are passionate about the subjects they teach, are usually very flexible and are always willing to answer questions. There are two housing facilities with varying styles. Snow Lion is apartment style living while 2333 Arapaho is more traditional dorm style with a large beautiful shared kitchen. I would recommend Naropa University to a student who is interested in a well rounded education that not only prepares them for a career but for living a life devoted to emotional and spiritual maturity.

Jamie

Have in mind what you are going to accomplish when you leave University. Although higher education is an experience that should be relished in and of itself, do not use it as an excuse to procrastinate deciding what you are doing with your life. Have long term goals. Or at least ideas that you can work towards. Really consider how you are going to afford this experience. Do not blindly run into this debt assuming you'll just pay it off whenever you want. No. Be realistic. HAVE A PLAN.

I wish I had known the extent to which the Buddhist philosophy permeated the school. I went to Naropa because of the alternative writing program and absolutely loved the bulk of my education in that arena. However, the classes that Naropa forced all undergraduates to take in respect to indoctrinating them into the Buddhist way did not please me. You should not force students to meditate. It is supposed to be Buddhist inspired. That should not requre students to practice their religion in the way that they see fit. That being said, I loved the writing program.

Estacia

The classmates that I attend school with are hardworking, cooperative, and determined.

As a high school student, I didn't want long lectures and too many details so, I would give myself advice very briefly. I first would say the even though money isn't everything, it is important to put yourself in a good financial situation to avoid one less stress. Education can make or break a future not just for me but many different people have choosen different paths and it all comes down to education and commitment. Lastly, school may seem like no fun but it's better to enjoy the college life now and avoid growing up as long as possible. Life will come soon enough. Other than that, I would also tell myself that I am always here for advice, consulting, and even just to listen. Best of luck and set your goals high and don't let yourself settle for less than what you deserve.

commited, hardworking, positive individuals

Justine

Upon attending Naropa University my experience has been opened to enrichment of my spirit, an invaluable tool that I have used to further motivate me in planning my future and organizing my life to meet my needs. My hope for the furture has increased, my mind has been inspired and encouraged, and my heart swells with the outpouring of love and goodwill that I feel on campus and by being a community member. Before attending, while struggling in our current society as an independent young woman, I felt lost and a little hopeless, and I am so grateful that this wonderful institution has opened itself to me and my dreams.

Hm, I'm not quite sure I am learning as I go.

It is the only Buddhist univeristy in the U.S. and I am thrilled with the contemplative education it provides me, in my 1st semester I already feel rejuvenated on a spiritual and philosophical level and am excited to challenge myself more in its community and the greater world with the education Naropa provides.

Gail

If I could go back in time and give my senior high school self some advice, I would say that it does not matter what the school's statistics are, what study abroad programs the school offers, what sports teams the school has or even what the school looks like. All these things are superfluous if you are not having a good time or if the school just does not feel right after a few semesters. It pays to know yourself and know what you want out of your education, but always make sure to check in and make sure that it is what you still want. If you are unhappy where you are at, even if it was your dream school when applying, make sure you are not just chasing an old dream and staying the course because you do not see any other options. If all else fails, take some time off and get to know yourself better. Discover what you really want out of life and your educaiton before you pay for an eduaction that you do not really want. If I had it to do over again I would have taken a gap year, no question!

The technology always manages to go haywire right when you need it most. The school seems to have bad technology karma, either that or just a small technology budget.

I would not recommend this school for someone uninterested in self discovery or exploring alternative view points. I would not recommend this school to someone that is closeminded about spirituality or does not like a school where everone knows everyone else.

Robert

Hey you, yeah you. Slow down, take your time, growing up is going to happen at it's own pace, learn to appreciate the journey and loosen up the drive for a destination, you will get there too. Stay curious about the world, be careful how you might use generalizations and stereotypes to separate yourself from some of the fascinating people who live in this world, and stay as kind and loving to everyone in your life as you have to this day. Keep your head strong, but don't let it trample on your heart.

The classes are small and there is great access to teachers and professional assistants, take every oportunity you have to make contact with these people, dialogue with classmates over course material, use creative and open thought, and look to apply the wonderful things you will learn at Naropa to your lived experience. This creates a personalized education formed through diverse views of professionals and peers, which leads to intimate insights about the world, this is hands down the best thing about Naropa.

It would have been beneficial to pursue my associates degree at this university, there are so many great classes and unique topics to explore at Naropa, I could have taken advantage of having extra elective credits for more personalized educational experience.

Naropa is a truly sacred university where community and contemplation are honoured and respected.

Naropa has the philosophy of contemplative education, which uses Buddhist ideals and values to help students not just learn the curriculum but to actively engage in it. With this model, you don't just study the textbook and stop thinking about it from there, you are challenged to think of the course material in new and exciting ways that you never thought possible. You not only engage alternative ideas about the curriculum but the other students also share their ideas and insights to make Naropa a much better educational community than any other university out there.

Well, I would share a little bit more about my teachers and coursework in high school but I would not talk much about what happened after high school considering that I made some fundamental mistakes which made me who I am today. I went into a fundamentalist Bible College up in Canada as an evangelical Christian and came out a staunch atheist. I learned so much more about myself after that experience and gained the courage to begin my transsexual transition from male to female. This, I would not share with my past self, I could never do that for it would possibly make my old self much more paranoid and possibly ruin the great future that I do have.

Nathan

Best thing about Naropa... duh, my program (Peace Studies)! I'm very biased. One thing I would change (and I'm trying in student government) is the diversity here at Naropa... we need more people from diverse backgrounds. The size of the school is perfect (about 1,000 students). This makes class size small (20-30 students). When I tell people I go to Naropa, they are usually excited to hear it. On campus I spend most of my time in the classroom or on the green outside. Naropa's administration is pretty good. My experience is that they are willing to work with students one on one to meet the students needs. I'll always remember the Peace Studies department and the professors Sudarshan Kapur and Candace Walworth. Amazing professors!

There are a couple of groups on campus that look at diversity specifically: Students of Color, Naropa Pride Alliance, and Allies in Action. The push is to make Naropa embed diversity in the whole institution and not simply to look at diversity as an issues to be dealt with on the side. This is really important and I think these student groups are crucial for this. You would probably feel out of place at Naropa if you were conservative. I think it's safe to say that most students are pretty progressive in their social and political views. Naropa is a pretty eclectic mix of styles... you'll find the outdoor active people, the more meditative types, the social activists, the artistic folks... but also there is lots of mixing. Most students are all of these things, and more. Student don't talk much about how much they'll earn some day. Mostly students are more concerned with what they will do to help make the world a better place.

The stereotypes are definitely not accurate. While the school was Buddhist inspired (the founder was a well-known Tibetan Buddhist teacher) no one is required to be Buddhist or religious in any way. Meditation is utilized in some classes (more so in the religious studies classes than in others). The founding background of Naropa helps to highlight contemplative education as a real need in society. Scholarships and grants abound here at Naropa, so you don't need to be rich to go here. I would go here if that was the case.

The size of the school makes it really easy to get to know professors and, they usually have lots of time for students. I think my favorite class would have to be either 1) Nonviolence in and through History, 2) Women, Feminism, and Peacemaking, or 3) Issues of Global Poverty. These are all from my department, but the classes outside my department that I've liked especially are The Cinema or Exile and Diaspora (good film class)... or Environmental Economics. Usually students get pretty involved in class discussion. This makes for a good mix of lecture, reading, and discussion. My department is Peace Studies. It's pretty interdisciplinary... we look at the study of peace and conflict from a range of angles... philosophical, historical, socio-anthropological, artistically... The most unique class that I've ever taken was Traditional Chinese Brushstroke from the art department. I like the academic requirement of Naropa. There is a good fusion of typical academics (paper writing etc...) with experiential exercises to help internalize concepts and lessons. My department also requires a thesis, which I like a lot. I'm excited to synthesize my studies into one last large piece of work. It's easy to get an appointment with my professors outside of class. They have offices close by and the door is always open. The education at Naropa is geared toward educating the whole person, not just helping the person get a job.. that's important of course, but that just one piece of the puzzle. I also think Naropa does a really good job at preparing students for graduate school.

Some stereotypes are... that we are all a bunch of Buddhists that just sit around meditating all day, not really connecting to the real world, and that you have to be a trust fund baby to go here.

Naropa University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.