Dublin, VA
New River Community College

1 Rating

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New River Community College

My classmates are friendly, level-headed, and are looking out for their own futures.

College life is so much more fullfilling than high school life. Now you are frustrated with peer pressure, trivial classes, and massive workloads. Here, you take the classes that you want, for your future. Your work is done on your terms, and while things can be more difficult, the rewards for your efforts are that much greater. People around you are more relaxed and accepting. Keep your chin up, things do get better.

The school has an incredible curriculum, and at an amazing price. For most majors, it makes remarkable sense to go here first before a four year school, especially if you are still figuring out what you want to do in life.

Peter

"Peter" I'd say to myself, "college is going to be a crazy time for you. You're going to learn a lot about the world and yourself. There's also going to be a lot of hard times for you too." I would look myself dead in the eye and tell myself "You are going to really need grow up quick and take responsiblity for your own actions. You need to understand that procrastinating is gonna hurt you in the long run and you sure as hell can't keep not studying for your test. In a lot of ways Pete, you are going to have to step up and be the man you know that you can be." More than likely I would warn myself about the dog I end up getting and how much I fall in love with it. I would talk all about how great is it to be on your own, but how much it sucks to not have mama's home cooking everynight. While there is a whole lot I would make sure to tell myself about, I think I would leave a lot out for past me to experience on his own.

New River is a great school and the best part of it is how stunning the campus looks. It's campus is surronded by open grass fields on one side, a forest on another side, and amazing green technology like solar panels and a wind turbine. As you drive though the old fashion town to get to the campus it is almost like a journey on a time machine. The town has wall murals reading "Fresh Coca-Cola! 5 cents!" painted on its stores, but not two miles down the road is a solar array! It is an amazing place.

The most frustrating thing is that its location is so far away from the other nearby schools. Most of the students New River are in some way associated with Radford University and Virginia Tech. The major problem is that New River is located roughly 20 miles away from both of these campuses. While this may not seem like a massive problem, as a student barely scraping by filling up my truck can put a tough crunch on my wallet. Thankfully, gas prices have slowly been falling and I might have one less thing to complain about soon.

Casey

Do not wait to go to college, its ten times harder when you're older and have kids. Make sure you take your academic career seriously and do your absolute best. Learn as much as you can and never stop learning, use every opportunity you can to learn something new because knowledge truly is power. The real world is hard without a higher education and job opportunities are few and far between. Pursue your dreams, don't wast your time doing what everyone else wants you to do because you'll only end up unhappy and resenting others with a lifetime of regret for what should have or could have been. Work every day at bettering yourself on a personal level and as a fellow human being. Don't sweat the small stuff because in the end it won't even matter. Be kind and accepting of others and put the golden rule into practice every day. Don't sell yourself short, with a little effort you can accomplish great things. Don't allow yourself to get bogged down with anger, jealousy and resentment it clouds your soul. Live life to the fullest because its the only life you have.

The teachers are very hands on and always available.

Toya

I am attending Virginia College Online,and the instructors and the staff there are awsome.

My experience at Virginia College online division has been wonderful. I am a single mom returning to school at the age of 36. The staff knows how important it is for me to be a student at this time. My daughters are my insperation and the reason it is so important for me to get my degree at this time in my life. Being a single mom is hard enough and I do not have the support of their fathers in any way. This is why I chose to take online classes. I am able to study at home and still be there for my girls. This is less of a strain for me then having to be on campus at a certain time and I also don't have to deal with the frustration of finding a daycare profider. I am able to spend more time on my studies and am currently maintaining a 3.00 avarage after being out of school for so long. If I could just say one thing it would be; Thanks to Virgina College instructors and staff it is truly a wonderful experience;.

Time management is the most frustrating for me because it takes a lot of discipline.

Beth

A small campus with a great learning environment.

A small campus with a great learning environment.

My classmates are down to earth people who appreciate the value that each person has to offer.

After going back in time to my senior year, I would tell my much younger self that the transition to college is not that scary or hard. I would tell myself to let go of any fears and doubts and just do it. I would give myself a pep talk that would make a cheerleader jealous. Having strength to continue even when the tough times happen is always easy but, with the right motivation and encouragement it can be done.

Briggs

My classmates are a great collaboration of age, race, gender, and personality, and this brings a variety of knowledge and wisdom.

If I could go back and talk to my self as a senior in high school, I would begin by telling myself that college is the biggest leap in responsibility until you are a grown man. I would explain the importance of good study habbits and testify that being organized and disciplined will go far in helping you graduate and succeed as a person. I would stress the importance of being active and managing your free time. I would have to reluctantly admit that everything your high school teachers warned you about is true, and that college will indeed be the four (or maybe five) fastest years of your life. I would describe the workload and explain the difference between high school and college as I have known it. I would have to give myself a few pointers on note taking, because I didn't have much practice out of high school. As for adjusting to the social life in college, I would say that it is everything you've been waiting for and more........freeeedom!!! And the final piece of advice would be to utilize the office hours, because teachers will always teach if you're willing to learn.

The best thing about New River Community College is that their faculty members, whether it be the professors or advisors, are always looking out for your best interest. In my experience, New River has allowed me to inexpensively go to school and prepare me for a four year institution. I can honestly say that the Virginia Community College System is a great tool for students out of high school to further their education.

Samuel

The local community and the opportunities it has for no matter what age group you are in. The location and all of the sports, classes are small and good to learn in.

I would advise my High School senior self to do great in the class and take in all of the opportunites college will have to offer. Use your time wisely and be sure what you want your future to be and make the decision to go to school where you feel comfortable. Don't listen to what other people are telling you and do what you feel is right and what you wanna do. Be sure of your college major and what you wanna do in your future. Also, be sure to let all of the teachers know how greatly they have affected your schooling and that it was a true honor for you to be taught by them.

That is the great thing that anyone that has the willingness to learn can come to the school no matter what age group, origin, or nationality.

New River Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.