New York University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for New York University

BEn

I love it. Lots of things to do or not do, the city is very accessible. The teachers are great and experienced, and the courses involve the industry that is located at our fingertips. The school turns the "lack" of campus into a wealth of opportunity.

Madison

Overall, I really enjoy NYU. However, if you are looking for a close-knit community with a lot of school spirit, this is probably not the place for you. There are many opportunities on campus if you are willing to seek them out. One thing that most students take advantage of is the abundance of study abroad opportunities. Finally, in Liberal Studies, I love the small classes and accessible professors.

Rebecca

NYU was the perfect school for me. It is a good place for those who like being independent and know what their goals are. Not only is the student body diverse, passionate, and driven, but the faculty is wonderful as well. I have loved nearly all of my professors. They take pedagogy seriously, for they always want to be accessible and helpful. They enjoy teaching and I can tell they want us to thrive. The classes I took were all fascinating, even those I was "forced" to take. I was challenged at NYU but I know that I have grown as an intellectual, member of society, and person. I appreciated the opportunities NYU offered me; that is a characteristic that makes the school unique. To this day, I still believe there was no better school for me.

New York University is a great resource for students to interact with people from all over the world while engaging in challenging courses with impressive professors. The classes are rigorous, the facilities can be a bit outdated, and sometimes it can all be a little overwhelming--the city, school, social life, extracurricular activities. Every student is trying their best to get great grades, work experience, and to be involved on campus. That energy is totally contagious.

Pier-angeli

This institution offers a number of educational opportunities, i appreciate the program i am in and how prepared it will make me for the real world. The students are friendly and I am thankful for how the professors are consistent with communicating with the students. The amount of help on campus is everlasting, and you will feel like you are part of a team. My only con would have to be the lack of financial support available to students, that institution is already extremely expensive and the amount of financial assistant is little to none. I would like the financial office team to carefully evaluate students who are on a need base for scholarships and other financial opportunities. (But then again an education here in the U.S is going to put you in debt no matter what) Other than that I am extremely proud to call myself an NYU student, and i know this is a decision i would never regret!

Naomi

I feel that NYU is a great university which tries to include everybody no matter the class, social status, gender, race, or ethnicity. In the short amount of time that I have been here I have found myself excited to learn and wanting to more than ever. The university really challenges you intellectually and I feel that there is something here for everyone to do no matter who you are.

Maia

I love NYU! Its a great school with structured learning and impressive and knowledgable professors. The school aims to help student succeed and offers many opportunities for networking and employment/internships. The school is very supportive of religious holidays and the professors and advisors work with the students to ensure growth.

Caitlyn

I absolutely love New York University! It's an amazing place for young adults to really be able to find themselves while taking advantage of all the school's resources and all that New York City has to offer. I don't know a single person who hasn't encountered amazing opportunities here with all the resources of the greatest city in the world at our fingertips. The professors here are so incredibly accomplished and accessible. I feel so lucky to be able to call NYU my home!

Derrick

I have visited NYU numerous times and will be attending in the Fall of 2018 and I always feel welcome at the university. Its location in NY is great and the faculty, staff, and students all seem helpful and ready to engage with new students. The university is diverse and does a great job of creating a positive environment for its students.

Mohammed

NYU is a great community of people who are really committed to changing the world one person at a time. The academic and student life is great once you get involved. There are many many clubs. You will always find a group of people to engage with no matter where you are on campus and what time. It is NYC after all.

Juliana

At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to attend NYU. But after my first semester I began to love it. The space and community is big especially if you find a group or niche, there will always be support. Most staff are always there to support and are very welcoming, which provide a nice atmosphere to the college experience.

Deborah

I love NYU, and almost everything about this school. There is no campus, which is different, and does make me feel unsafe walking at night, especially since I'm a woman, but I still feel this sense of community. It takes a while to find, for sure, but if you get yourself involved in school activities and not stay holed up in your dorm, you'll definitely find it. I love my major, and the faculty for Film and Television, and how you go on a first name basis with your professors, which feels more personal.

Fei

IT IS A GREAT SCHOOL. I MEAN THE CLASSES HERE ARE DIVERSE AND INTERESTING. YOU JUST HAVE TO CHOODE THE RIGHT PROFESSOR. THE OPPORTUNITIES OFFERED IN SCHOOL AND IN NEW YORK CITY ARE UNBELIEVABLE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ALL OF THEM. I KNOW THAT A LOT OF PEOPE COMPLAINT A LOT ABOUR HOUSING AND FOOD. I DO THAT TOO, ALL THE TIME. BUT ALL IN ALL, ITS A GREAT SCHOOL AND YOU WOULD NOT REGRET COMING HERE.

Joshua

New York University is in a great location near Washington Square Park, with a plethora of shops which are found around the neighborhood. The class size is something that I do not really agree with because lecture has about 500 students for Principles of Biology and General Chemistry individually. The life outside of academics is something interesting entirely as there are a lot of different clubs and activities which you can find yourself doing after class. The student life is very fun and enjoyable and the accessibility to professors is easy. Overall, a great college with a lot to offer.

Addy

The best advantage is living in the city and rubbing shoulders with actual working New Yorkers. Also, due to all the facilities, living in Manhattan is easier than it is for the regular person as there's always a building to duck into when needed. The professors are often celebrities within their respective fields and it's pretty amazing to learn from and interact with them.

T

lit

Shivani

NYU is a great college with many opportunities for all types of people!

Harriet

New York University is notable for its prestige and alumni network. The fact that this university is in New York alone sets it apart from many universities for academic success, cultural vitality, and diverse student backgrounds. Though there may not be much of a "campus" per say, NYU has so much to offer in getting involved and participating within the community.

Hyejo

I think NYU is great for students who are willing to be active in accomplishing their goals, and are okay with being independent. For those who expect a typical college experience, NYU is definitely not the school for them. Although there is not an overall tight-knit community at NYU, there are definitely smaller communities to be found. You just need to be proactive about who you decide to become friends with and what kind of experience you want from being a student at NYU.

Frank

New York University offers an extensive amount of opportunity both in as well as out of the classroom. Every single professor that I have had has been nothing but encouraging and helpful to not only myself but every other student as well. The facilities and faculty are of the highest caliber, and I can confidently say that I have never felt more academic in my life. I do not mean to say that there is an overwhelming amount of work; what I mean is that I feel inclined to go above and beyond what is expected of me, and I wholly enjoy it! It has become less about grades and deadlines than it is about infusing your passion and life together. This is the kind of environment that NYU facilitates. Attend if you have the chance!

Hassam

The slogan of NYU of "Washington Square is our Campus" is just simply not true. The biggest downfall of NYU is the lack of a campus. It prevents proper social mixing and creates a rift between sections of NYU. On top of that, unlike most colleges, NYU does not have school spirits like seen at other institutions. There is also many social, racial, and economic divides within the school. Kids that take the train (like myself) are often left out of many school activities and a proper college experience. Despite these shortcomings, NYU excels in many other areas that no other school in the world can compare too. Located in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, NYU students have the opportunity to work, intern, and volunteer at the largest and most reputable places in America. It also allows students to experience and meet new people and understanding of the real world. When you exit a building, you enter the streets of New York and thrown into the real world, being a native New Yorker, I believe it allows students to mature at a faster rate than most college students. Overall, I am glad that I attend NYU, the resources such as Bobst Library and the Academic Resource Center offer unmatched assistance to promote an academic environment within the school.

Zoe

I transferred to New York University this year, and I honestly couldn't be happier. The student body, as well as the professors, are incredible. I am a Tisch drama major, and it's amazing to make such great connections with people who are currently working in the professional industry, and learn from the best of the best. The training is intense and I have already learned so much. On top of that, the area surrounding NYU is absolutely beautiful. I love this school so much and couldn't be happier.

Adrienne

Every school has positives and negatives - but overall, I love my school and wouldn't trade it for anything. People say that NYU doesn't have a campus, but the city is our campus, and you won't find anywhere with more culture. There's never a shortage of things to see and learn.

Ariana

New York University is an amazing school. Yes, there are some things that can be fixed within the school, but overall, the school provides for its students. For example, when it is time for you to study abroad, the university is there for you. The faculty is amazing.

Jadyn

Overall I've loved the school over the start of my first semester. The biggest drawback is obviously the price, but between it being a private university, and it being in Manhattan, the price isn't completely outrageous. There is no central campus, as it is completely intermixed with New York itself, leading to an amazing experience exploring the greatest city in the world.

Althea

Overall, my impression of NYU and Tisch is positive. There are things that could be improved-- such as working printers, racial diversity, more studio space for theatre and music students, and bridging the class divide-- but you would be hard-pressed to show me a college without at least some of these same issues, let alone others that come with living anywhere other than NYC. All in all, I am extremely happy with my choice, and I rest easy knowing that I am in good company.

maria

SO ONE TIME I WAS WALKING AROUND ON CAMPUS AND THERE WAS A SPOOKY MAN WITH A BLACK TRENCH COAT WHO SAID HEY KID WANT SOME CANDY BUT IM NOT A KID IM AN ADULT AND IT SCARED ME BAD SO I RUN BUT I DONT CAUSE FALL EW HELP SO THEN THE MAN GAVE ME A LOLLIPOP AND SAID YO YOU GOOD BRUUUUUUH AND I SCREAMED AND THEN HE SCREAMED THEN A TEACHER SCREAMED AT US FROM THE CLASSROOM WINDOW I DONT EVEN KNOW IF THAT DUDE WAS A TEACHER HE WAS JUST HOWLING AT THE MOON THIS PLACE IS SCARY MAN

Oakley

I'm a graduate student so I can't comment much on the experience for the undergrads...I love it. Its the perfect environment for a graduate student, lots going on, new people to meet. The school is intimate enough and classmates seem generally close knit but its also got the big city vibe so you can leave school behind for a day if need be.

Elaine

I do not like this college. Some of the buildings are really well-kept and others are not. A lot of people complain that their dorms are falling apart and a lot of people are generally unhappy-- the school doesn't have a very friendly or nice atmosphere. Furthermore, we never know where our money goes, which is annoying.

Manuel

I came to New York University in a hope to be given opportunities similar to those in this city. I wasn't let down. The academic rigor, easy social interactions, and absolutely unparalleled career development opportunities (whether it be internships, employments, or simply exposure to some of the world's finest in every field) have helped create an unimaginable experience.

Mariah

New York University lies in the heart of New York City, and as a result there are plenty of opportunities for involvement both on and off campus. The Manhattan campus is centered around Washington Square Park, which is always lively and filled with fun events, musical performances, or protests for you to get in on. The University itself has plenty of resources for students including the Global Center for Academic and Student Life, the LGBTQ Center, Academic Resource Center, and University Learning Center which are always available for students looking to get extra help in classes and maybe even join a study group if they find that experience helpful. NYU also has plenty of dining halls that offer a variety of food choices for students, and some that focus on vegetarian and vegan students. NYU students also have free access to excellent gyms on campus and there are always events going on. Residence halls are also located very close, usually within a 10-15 minute walk to the main campus, and are equipped with a Resource Center for mail, printing, and other student needs. Some residence halls also have dining halls in them. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, with each student provided with a desk, chair, drawer space, closet, and bed, and the view from the higher floors is always beautiful. First-year students are placed with roommates based on geographic diversity, allowing them to experience people from different parts of the world and different cultures. Sophomores and upperclassmen are able to select their roommates if they so choose. In my experience, professors are very open and accessible to students either via office hours or email. They are always willing to make time to discuss their research with you if you show an interest, or clear up any difficulties you may be having in class. TAs are also willing to help and provide useful feedback that can help you understand material better.

Clara

As a music major who also wants to be intellectually challenged in other areas, NYU was a really good fit for me. My classes are stimulating and interesting, both in and out of my major. Despite the large number of undergraduates, my class sizes are small and I feel I receive individualized attention. I love living in the city but still feeling very safe within the residence halls and NYU buildings, due to the many security officers and precautions.

Rebecca

I love New York University. The environment and the square is very vibrant. In order to fully enjoy your time at NYU, you need to take advantage of all the opportunities offered. Join some clubs and get involved. Definitely try to meet new people and try getting to know people outside of your circle. It makes the experience a million times better.

Brianna

New York University is an option. There are many different offerings. There are some professors who are very good at teaching. The city is one of the best in the country. There are many study abroad opportunities. There are also a variety of extracurricular activities.

Nina

I had a bad experience dealing with NYU SPS CAES. The staff were very rude when I asked for assistance!

Andrew

Its the best school but expensive.

Ania

I love it here!

Alexandra

Overall, NYU is a great place to study and get your degree. So far, NYU has given me travel opportunities that never would have been possible at a smaller state school -- including 2 week-long educational trips to Europe free of charge through the scholars program. Additionally, there are many global sites to travel to (I want to say 20?) which all hold the same caliber of education as NYU. While an expensive school, it's a great place for a world-wide education.

While NYU is an elite university and a household name, I would think twice about enrolling. First, it is extremely difficult to make friends. The lack of a proper campus coupled with the too-cool-for-school attitude of the student body make NYU feel like a cold place. Furthermore, with so many students, the administration has no time to give anyone individual attention, leaving the university functioning essentially like a corporation. If you're looking to find a community in college, this is not your place.

I love it so much! NYU is a very prestigious school where students are thrown out of their comfort zone, yet none of us will back down from the challenges of our core academic studies. I'm also very impressed with NYU's options for studying abroad and extracurriculars. Plus, their arts program is stellar.

Ray

I absolutely love the experience because I'm learning from top practitioners who work at reputable hospitals! Also, NYU is known for their extensive research opportunities and I am currently conducting one now under very well known phD professors. I would recommend this school to anyone because they are extremely supportive, understanding and organized! They will make you feel comfortable and welcomed! Reason being, they have free tutoring, one on one counseling for any concerns and any more benefits to offer ! NYU has made me become responsible and self-aware of myself and I love it!!

The Silver School of Social Work at New York University is a university where the professors truly care about your well-being and that you're understanding the material and are participating. I've developed great skill sets and have obtained an excellent internship, as well as some great connections with professors.

Ana Maria

New York University has become home to a diverse intellectual group of people that feed off of each other's energies and are constantly pushing each other to become the best versions of themselves and to challenge themselves academically and socially. the most unique thing about this university is its location. our campus is the city where we are placed in a chaotic and thriving melting pot of workers and students.

Jordan

I believe the openness of the campus and the high academic level encourage students to become independent, hard-working, and exposed to the real world. It is a great place to learn and experience. Due to its location, it is safe and fun. The teachers seem to be passionate about their jobs, and the school instills a great work ethic in their students. There are communities for all kinds of students, so NYU can be a great place for almost anyone.

Kalonni

New York University presents itself as the best choice in education for me. They provide interests for everyone and focus heavily on inclusion of all people. From my visit and my audition, the students and faculty are incredibly kind and willing to help anyone that may need it.

Netanya

As a commuter I have very little involvement or even experience with campus activities because I live a bit far and have very involved parents. However, on an academic level I can’t say I have been dissapointed. I have never had an issue getting in contact with any of my professors for office hours because there is always an option to make appointments. The grand majority of my professors have been patient with me and have answered all my questions without making me feel stupid for doing so. Shoutout to professor Weiner for taking time out of his sleep to host a class review session from “7 until whenever you are all done asking questions” for both the midterm and final. Aside from general satisfaction with NYU professors I am also happy with NYU’s anthropology department because of the resources they make available to their students. Every week I receive emails telling me of field school opportunities and internship opportunities available to us. Although not of all them directly relate to me, the fact that there is something available for people with different kinds of career goals in mind is amazing.

Tessa

We are definitely a type. You can spot an NYU student from a mile away, we dress similarly behave similarly, study similarly and yet there is a huge priority on being unique. A typical NYU student can be seen lounging on the benches of Washington square park, wearing denim on denim, holding a joint and a kale salad while loudly discussing shitty Trump, and blissfully ignoring the hundred thousand dollars are parents cough up so that we can study pencil sketching and methodist acting. There is definitely a stereotype about the kids that go here and its true. Our hair is every color of the rainbow and our skin, not quite as diverse as we'd like you to believe. But hey, at NYU we are all equal, except for conservatives. Fuck conservatives. As far as teachers go NYU is a place that gives people chances, or so their consistent boasting about financial aid would have you believe. Everyone that teaches is at least some way or another brilliant, they all have shiny awards or pretty papers with their name scratched into them, and yet, NYU seems to have disregarded the important philosophy: just because you're good at doing something, doesn't mean you're good at teaching it. Look, I don't doubt my linear algebra teacher with the 2 PDH's, and thousands in research grants isn't a brilliant person. I'm just saying it would be nice if he could annunciate his sentences and maybe explain a theorem without confusing everyone in the room including himself 6 times a lesson. NYU is an enormous college we have so many students you're always seeing people you've never seen before. Well, that and the fact that we're all at least a bit repulsed by social interaction, or as we put it, keen to get our moneys worth from New York City rent by never leaving our rooms. By far the best part of going to NYU is being able to say you go to NYU which is really just an easy way to say I smoke pot at least 5 times a day, or I got rejected from Columbia.

Leah

New York University is a great school. The biggest complaint of most of its students is the cost of tuition. Financial aid does not help out as much as people would like. The school is a corporation, they will do what they can to make money. Yes, the school has lot's of amenities, but sometimes the perks seem superfluous. I think many students would prefer more help with tuition and less crazy welcome week events, random handouts, etc. Activists at the school have a hard time pushing for reform when it comes to issues like recycling, or divesting from the fossil fuel industry. The actual faculty and students are great. But the university itself is sometimes bureaucratic and soulless.

Makayla

I think I would love to see and visit your campus!! I feel your college will be good at academics and athletics. I would love to come to your college. My name is Makayla Sierpinski and my phone number is7015200656 or my email is [email protected] I would love to apply and get accepted!!

TAYLOR

NYU overall is a good school. The worst thing about it is the price, hence the reason why I'm sitting here on this website. NYU does offer a lot of services and opportunities, and yes, those cost money. But they can be cutting costs in a variety of places. The good thing is that there is now a task force that is working on that.