New York University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for New York University

Nakya

I LOVE IT! It’s perfect for people who would want a jumpstart on their career

I was drawn to NYU for its city campus, wide variety of majors, and study abroad programs. Socially it was a disaster for me. The international students stick together, the Tisch kids stick together, and there is absolutely no sense of community or school spirit. There are no on-campus parties. I joined a bunch of clubs and a sorority. Housing is guaranteed for 4 years, so I was surprised to learn that many people move off campus (way off-campus!) as sophomores and juniors. Academically, I found it manageable and no harder than my rigorous public high school.

maya

I love it and hope to be there in a year. I visited a bunch of schools and New York University was by far my favorite. It is very expensive, but if I had the money available I would be there in a blink of the eye. I love the city campus and that there is so much going on nearby.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at NYU, and I've even returned to work part-time for them as a teaching assistant in one of my former departments. Being in the heart of New York City, the connections and relationships to be gained with faculty and alumni including giants in nearly every field, the top-notch facilities, and diverse student body, organizations, and opportunities made for an overall fantastic four years. However, I had a number of grievances with the overall administration including mediocre student advisors, hidden fees, and a general lack of accessibility to faculty, particularly in the math department (my double major) and graduate professors who also get "roped into" teaching undergraduate courses, though it did seem to be common across many majors and departments. Despite these challenges and disappointments, NYU is a fantastic and top-tier place to study in dozens of fields, and I admire the way the administration continuously works to make the school and even more welcoming, diverse, student-serving, leading institution in the world.

Allison

I LOVE this School! Amazing professors, staff, great student body and curriculum. Housing is an issue as there is not enough available housing and off campus housing is ridiculously expensive (it is New York City afterall!!). Everything else here is fantastic! The campus is very diverse and there are other campus locations in many foreign cities such as Dubai, Shanghai and Florence among a few. I highly recommend this esteemed University and I am thankful to be attending.

New York University at Tandon school of Engineering is overall a great school and desirable in so many ways. The only problem is the cost of attendance is way too high to be even reasonable for students to afford unless they get a scholarship from the school.

Diego

New York University is an eccentric school. Not everyone is going to have the same experience at NYU, and it's up to ourselves to make what we will of it. Considering we don't have a centralized campus, social life is something rather difficult to maintain if the student isn't very outgoing. However, that can be mended with participation in clubs that have similar interests. Education-wise, NYU is a liberal arts school so we have core classes that we must take in regards to that in order for us to graduate. The management of being able to apply for these classes is a little mishandled because it gives first-picks to those who have more credits, not allowing much of a chance for Freshmen and Sophomores to get into these required classes until their Junior and Senior years. It's also a very expensive school, so one must really have scholarships lined up or be able to pay out of pocket lest they want to be deep in debt post-graduation.

Joyce

It is very immersed in the arts and is full of opportunities because of its locations and its teachers and facilities. I'll be starting school at New York University in the fall of 2019 and I am extremely excited to be joining such an active and vibrant community.

Sade

It is a great school that everyone would like to attend at a certain point in their life.

jason

Honest Truth About New York University - (read this please if you decide to go). NYU is a place you will get lost in. If you are not wealthy which I bet the people reading this are not and if you came from being a really bright student in high school unaware of the reality of life outside of your town and the real problems that come with adulthood then you are in for an amazing time. NYU sucks your money so quickly and gives you this feeling of newly given adult hood that "the ends justify the means". This is not true you do not need to be persuaded in your future, NYU is only four years of your life and nothing, especially a school that boasts such altruism and intellectual stimulation, should make you sacrifice that. What I mean is you are the decision maker and in NYC and with a school that really does not care about you then all your decisions persuaded by them are only in favor of your money. NYU does not help you in any aspect of college life. Do you want an internship? Well find one on your own without any help, especially when you are competing with students around the country who want the top internships in New York. Do you want to live in normal housing? Well, then pay 22 thousand dollars just to live in a small room by yourself. Do you want to get into correct courses? Then you will need to navigate the endless bureaucracy of phone calls and office messages only to find that the course you wanted or needed has filled up. NYU is a cool school and I have met some cool people out of the hundreds of fake cool people that I have encountered. These people actually suck, you come from good friends in your high school and think I wanna be in this crowd in New York and dress cool until you realize no one is genuine. I do not mean to trash talk this school but is it really worth it. Not even talking about money at this point I am talking about success after college, which is exactly what college is for. NYU offers nothing any other college would offer, if anything you are worse off going to NYU. You lose your sense of character and lose your sense of confidence. NYU makes you work extremely hard and I am not talking in academics. Most of your focus, when not distracted by the city, is to figure out all the convoluted shit that NYU creates. Try to think about what you need from school. Think realistically about college and finding an apartment in NYC. Think about the people that NYU will attract. Honestly, think about the people! Hype beasts or rich kids or kids who wanna look and be cool. It is rare to find someone that encapsulates genuine emotion as well as cool personality. Most people just come to be seen and those people suck. So think about your decision and whether this school will help you to be successful not just in college or in your social group or status but in your career after college.

Susan

A comprehensive university sharing the pulse of the world's largest city.

Deniss

So far I have had a great experience at NYU. What I really like about the school, is the class size aren't very big. 3 out of my 4 classes I had this semester were 20 kids or less. The professors weren't mean at all, and if you talk to them for an extension for an assignment most professors understand. The housing isn't bad at all, the environment is very homey. Everything​ is very close, within a walking distant.

Aliya

I attended New York University for a pre-college summer program. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. I learned so much, not only academically, but also from my peers, who came from all over the world. My professors showed experience and dedication with regards to their subjects, and seemed truly passionate about ensuring that students learned everything we needed and wanted. I also loved the diverse community, and the experience of living in the city.

Mandy

It's very hard to make friends here, especially in large lecture classes, but even in smaller seminar classes, students often aren't interested in hanging out with you outside of class or even studying with you. The lack of campus, community, sports, and distance between dorms definitely contributes to this. The classes are very hard but manageable if you plan your time. Most of the professors are intelligent and kind, but some of them are rude and others I'm not sure how they got their job. NYU is for students who are very outgoing, have money to burn, and don't mind being academically challenged.

Alex

It's not the best for me, but I've been told it's a lot of fun

Cheree

I'm an indecisive person, but I'm also an impulsive person. I only applied to two schools and NYU was one of them, and I had absolutely no intention on being accepted; until I was. I am so thankful for not giving myself more options for schools because I may have missed out on the biggest diamond of my life. I never visited NYU because I didn't think I'd ever get in and thus the basis for never going to a visit but ever since I've been in New York I have fallen in love with the school and its campus (or lack thereof) every day. It truly is the city the city that never sleeps, and neither have I. The academics are rigorous, whether you're in the business school or the art school (I'd know, both of my roommates are business students and I'm in Film). The school offers multiple discounts to local shows and performances which helps my tight pockets. My favorite event was one they had at Skirball where they invited Civil RIghts leader and revolutionary, Angela Davis to speak! My tuition hard at work. Speaking of tuition, that would be the absolute only downside of NYU (Unless you're conservative and consider the liberal nature a bit annoying) NYU DOES NOT PROVIDE STUDENTS, ESPECIALLY STUDENTS OF COLOR AND LOW SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS ENOUGH MONEY TO KEEP ATTENDING THE SCHOOL. I mean seriously. Our president is making money off all of us drowning in debt. And I've heard it all, yes I chose this school and knew the financial occurrences of it, however, that still does not change the fact that it supports a capitalistic and privatized education- selective of only those who have high enough status to actually afford the place- barring Black and Brown students from its doors SYSTEMICALLY.

Iman

New York University is certainly unique. It's rather difficult to dredge up one general term because in reality there's no one phenotype of an NYU student. There's a mixture of people of all different backgrounds, colors, personalities, mindsets, interests, intentions and the list only goes on. With over 50,000 students there's everyone under the sun with all types of niches you could imagine. Living in a residence hall does make a difference. I do feel some sort of sense of community here because a number of us live here. And we have a lounge that is entertaining at times. Overall it's a great school. The city never sleeps. I feel lucky to be here.

Joshua

Academically, it is certainly a great school, as one can find extremely reputable professors in virtually every department. Professionally, it is absolutely top-notch, as New York University is located in New York City, a global powerhouse for commerce, culture, and the arts. Socially, however, one would need to make a serious active effort to put themselves out there, as New York City can be lonely and the school generally lacks the school spirit associated with more traditional universities.

Shawn

I absolutely love NYU, and it is truly a privilege and an honor to be a student here. It is such a diverse community, and I've been exposed to so many different cultures, opinions, ideas, and experiences. There's a plethora of extracurriculars for every type of interest imaginable, and a place for everyone, no matter what your background or goals are.

Parker

Do not go to Tandon, unless you either get a sizable scholarship or you 100% love the city/Brooklyn. Tandon is what is called a “mercenary school”, so very few people will do much outside go to class, including parties, making friends, or even e plowing the city. I’ve had a miserable time here, with the combination of a bad roomate/housing experience and just not having friends. Tandon sucks because while the problem with NYU main campus is that it has no community, Tandon is even farther separated from the tiny space students consider a campus. Do your parents and your future self a favor and go to a cheaper engineering school, as there are many cheaper ones with better academics and actual stuff to do. If you think I’m one of the only people who is not liking their experience this year, 40% of the people i know from my classes are either in the process of transferring or are strongly considering transferring. The NYU name is just really not worth it. As for me, I’m in the process of transferring with mostly As under my belt but zero friends. If I could do it all over again, I would choose a different school.

Fiona

NYU is really all about what you make of it. Whether you want to study hard or party hard (or both!) you can find your people, find your classes, and find your balance. The resources associated with studying in New York City are unparalleled. By the time I graduated I had completed four internships, worked three part-time jobs, and made countless meaningful connections. Graduating is tough and just because you've studied in the city doesn't mean the transition will be smooth, but I definitely felt a lot more prepared to tackle post-grad life than many of my friends who graduated from traditional liberal arts colleges.

Mauricio

It is one of the most beautiful schools that I have ever seen, and it is my dream to ever attend a school as beautiful and artistically inclined as this one. The location of the school itself is in NYC, one of the pretties places on earth, in my opinion. I dream of the day I make it there!

Avital

New York University prides itself as a melting pot of art, politics, medicine, law, and business. Found at the heart of the city, the school's dedication to its students is the most evident at the toughest of moments. During the terrifying Hurricane Sandy of 2012, half of Manhattan lost its power and utilities and were left defenseless. As it turned out, this was one of the greatest pieces of evidence of community I have ever experienced. The university sheltered students and offered both entertainment and amenities in several university student buildings. Both the school and the students extended their hands to those around them. Together, the community came together in a difficult time and the city got through the ordeal in the blink of an eye. This sense of belonging is highlighted in the educational majors offered at NYU. In the pre-med program, I was encouraged by both teachers and many of the bright students surrounding me to keep pushing forward. Together, we proofed each other’s laboratory write-ups and attended countless office hours, in which the professors were sure to keep students from falling behind. In summary, this school puts as much support and effort in its students as the students themselves give back to their respective programs. NYU provides unlimited resources and connections and it is a testament to the forward-thinking minds at work in this institution. Surrounded by the harsh yet beautiful backdrop of New York City, the competition is stark, and this university prepares its students for the impending challenges of the adult world.

Charissa

A big school in a big city. Not for those looking for a traditional college campus experience. You really make your own path at NYU, no one will show you where to go: you'll gain independence along the way, but it's hard to find a good support system. Once you find it, hold onto it!

Dhara

NYU made me who I am today, I would never exchange those four years. The institution does a superb job of expanding your horizons, while making you be intentional about who you want to be in life (not just what you want to be in your career). With students from all over the world, you're exposed to diversity in thinking, and life experience inside the classroom and outside. Additionally, being in and of the city is another education altogether. Loved New York, loved NYU. Grateful for the opportunity to have attended and graduated this institution.

Zeleah

Overall I love NYU and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. There are so many ways for students to get involved, the academics are rigorous and push us to be better, and I've made life long friendships and relationships with both like-minded and people with different outlooks. As a student I am surrounded by strong goal oriented students that push me to be better each and everyday and top faculty that always have my best interest at heart.

Simcha

I love it! It puts me right in the heart of the city, which was very important to me when I was looking for colleges. It also allowed to me to get out of the house, which was extremely necessary. Won’t lie, tuition is expensive, but that’s what scholarships are for, right? It truly feels like home.

Athena

I am a Junior in High School and I live in the East Village where the building i live in is a Dorm for the NYU students. I am looking forward to be a part of their Pre-Med / Medical program once I get that far. I walk by and have personally visited the campus many times and i love it.

Angela

New York University offers great opportunities and is a wonderful place to get an education. However, it primarily caters to the wealthy, so if you don’t fall into that category, it is a lot harder for you to not only pay the outrageous tuition, but also to just live in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Isabel

New York University is a college full of diversity, art and culture as well as pristine academic excellence. While there are flaws just like any other school, NYU benefits outweigh the risks of going to a school without the average campus or student life.

I really enjoy studying at NYU and I've found my circle of friends. However, it definitely isn't for everyone. If you're looking for a strong sports culture or lots of Greek life, NYU doesn't have that (but it's why I wanted NYU). Lectures may be large but recitations are usually around 20 people, and professors and TAs are usually very accessible through email and office hours. I love being in NYC and having access to such a unique college experience, but a lot of my friends struggle with our "campus" area and wish they chose a more traditional college path to follow. If you look and take the time and effort to find your circle of friends it should be no problem to fit in at NYU, but if you don't like large schools and aren't actively seeking connections it's very easy to feel alone and isolated. All in all, NYU ended up being a very good fit for me (they're stingy with scholarships and financial aid, but besides that, I have no complaints) but I chose a very unique path for myself.

anjanie

I would love to attend this school. It holds a lot of things i'm interested in and this school can help me push me to my greatest potential.

VEJ

I am a 1990 M.A. grad who returned today for my daughter to visit and tour. NYU is well-known for her area of interest and we live in the trig-state area. It brought back a lot of memories- and led me to write this review. I actually taught there as an adjunct as well and that entire time I thought, wow, this is a tough gig for an 18 year old kid. That was in 1990. I attended NYU to earn my MA, after earning a BA at a mid-sized, suburban university with a strong sense of community. I went part time at night, then worked in an academic area for two years, and ultimately taught a class. I think if you have a very urban oriented, independent kid, this is probably fine but if you are looking for a sense of community...well, not so much. As soon as we were back I was reminded of all the people just in their own world, walking around, not making eye contact, not smiling and not seeming to be experiencing what are supposed to be pretty special years in a kids life. It is vastly different from a campus-based school and they know it, and try to address it as if the village is the community, but that is a stretch. Add in the fact that it's New York and you get an extra dose of "you're on your own kiddo". I imagine within a given program, there is more of a sense of knowing each other, at least I very much hope that is the case. As a college professor myself for the past 25 years, I was relieved when my daughter said she felt uncomfortable and it wasn't her thing, despite her love of all things Manhattan. She's been going into the city on her own for the past two years and still felt somewhat alienated. It was not at all what she expected in terms of the way you are greeted and the tour, etc. Do they have to sell themselves? No. Should they try? Yes. Do they? Not so well. Only on an NYU tour could the 19 year old student "ambassador" manage to be condescending to an alum. I was floored. I've toured a lot of schools - urban, suburban, rural with my three kids and this left a really bad taste in my mouth, reminding me of how lonely an experience it was when I got my M.A. in my early to mid-20s. Know yourself, try to stay a do a longer visit with a student you know, before you make up your mind.

Prince

In general it's a pretty good school. Its perfect if that overwhelming communal aspect of state schools make you nauseous. But its only worth it if you get a HEFTY scholarship. You can definitely get the same quality of education for less elsewhere but if you can get it at NYU, you should.

katie

The staff I have met at NYU so far have helped me to get a job. They will go extra lengths to make sure that you are following the right path and enjoy the college experience. NYU is an inclusive, diverse, and respectful community of learners. Your professors will influence you to continue learning outside the class, to travel internationally, and to take part in the greater NYC community. I am so grateful to be part of a supportive, challenging, and passionate university.

Joe

It was my dream school in high school and I got accepted. After leaving for a few years to work in my field they allowed me to come back and finish from where I left off. The school is gigantic and some students can feel lost or alone, but there are tons of people to interact with- if you just try you will find friends who are like you. NYU is expensive but you get the best resources, teachers, and city in the world. It's an amazing place.

Jakob

I attended NYU for two semesters total. While I had existing health issues that prevented me from continuing to attend, it was made very clear NYU as in institution could not care less for a single student. You truly feel as though you're there to fund a global expansion for a university that acts (and is run like) a business. Not to mention the executive board is CEO's, not educators. The aid packages are truly underwhelming for an endowment so large. WOULD NEVER RETURN 0/10.

Kenya

I loved how everything was so close yet still spread out. I also like how each building had a NYU flag outside of it. The restaurants and little places around were wonderful. When i visited there werent that many students because of the holidays but it seems like a wonderful place to go to.

Melissa

It is very diverse and inclusive to all which is a plus.

Chloe

NYU is fantastic! I feel it has the best program for the major I want to pursue, and I know I can get a full education there. It is the school at the top of my list, and it is my dream to attend there. Not only is the school itself great, but the fact that it is in the city gives me a sense of home.

Lachlan

NYU can be a great school to attend. It is a huge university, and if you don't advocate for yourself or actively seek out opportunities and challenges, you can probably get a bit lost in giant anonymous classes, never have professors who know who you are, or you can be lazy and end up getting away with the bare minimum. However, this is only a feature of higher education in general, and one that is exacerbated at giant schools. It is very possible to have a smaller-school experience at NYU, depending on your major and the classes you choose to take. While I have friends who were mostly in large lecture halls, I for the most part took courses with between twelve and twenty students, and actively had a voice in classes, which resulted in my experience overall being very focused and personable, and my professors were very accessible to me. It's a school with a massive campus and buildings all over New York City, a school where it's easy to be anonymous in a big class, and if that experience is what you're after, you can definitely have it; but if you take smaller courses that are interesting to you, reach out to professors and ask to sit in on classes, you can have an education that feels like being at a small liberal arts college as well. One thing that is great about a big school like NYU is that it's possible to have whatever kind of school experience you want if you're prepared to seek it out and tailor your education to yourself.

Rosmin

Great school. Very privileged and honored that I have been selected. Professors are very knowledgeable and down to earth. Our cohort is very helpful. The campus is clean and safe. It's a dream come true that I have gotten the opportunity to get my degree from NYU.

Ayanna

I love my school! It has provided me with the greatest experience of a lifetime. I knew since middle school that NYU was my dream school. The day that I received my acceptance letter was truly like a dream for me. I never thought in a million years that little old me, who doesn't come from a very high financial status/background could be able to turn my dream into a reality.

Angelica

I've heard from a lot of people that it's hard to feel connected especially because it's a non-traditional campus where one second you are on campus and the next you're in the city. But I've found that as long as you get involved in the MANY clubs available it's actually not as big of a campus as it seems and there's community to be apart of if you just look.

Andrea

New York University is an amazing school with a helpful staff always available. It is intensive academically which makes the students work to their fullest potential. The school provides unique opportunities to network that ranges from a community level to a global network.