Ouachita Baptist University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ouachita Baptist University

Sydnee

The campus was extremely clean and seems like a lot of excitement in the air. We got to visit the biology department and talked to the chair for about 30 minutes. The food court looked really good as well as the other food options that OBU has. The freshmen dooms seems smart and plain but upper classmen's dooms looked great.

micah

Ouachita is a beautiful campus. The professors are wonderful. The class sizes are small so you really get to know them and they care about their students. There are plenty of activities on campus. You just need to get plugged in. I believe Ouachita is an experience you will remember for the rest of your life. I would recommend you visiting the campus.

Ashlynne

Ouachita has an amazing atmosphere! They are here to expand your love of God and your love of learning which is very important to me. It’s a liberal arts school and has so many opportunities to help get its students involved.

Charley

I absolutely love Ouachita Baptist University! There is a small class size so you are able to communicate with your professors during the lecture if you do not understand something. The Professors are very caring and just want you to understand the topic. This school goes above and beyond in keeping students safe, helping them get the education they are there for, and getting everyone included in the extracurricular activities.

Linda

It's a good place to make the best friends you will ever have. OBU offers a ton of ways to serve the community (good for your transcript). The faculty and staff, for the most part, are amazing. Most of them will go out of their way to help you get through their classes. When you come here, you have a whole school routing for your success.

Cassandra

Softball has been my life since I was eight years old. I attended my first college softball game the following year when I was nine. I knew from that moment, mesmerized by amazing talent and passion, that I wanted to play my favorite sport in college. Fast-forward ten years and I am a high school senior signing my National Letter of Intent in our school’s cafeteria while my friends, family, and coaches watched. These papers secured my dream and I would be attending Ouachita Baptist University as a student-athlete. My first year at Ouachita was difficult. Arkadelphia, Arkansas seemed like a boring town with a boring college with half the number of students in my high school. The atmosphere of the college was hard for me to adapt to, but once I finally did, I grew to love my school. The students, professors, and coaches at Ouachita do not compare to other universities. Every week, my Biology professor invites me and my friends over to her house so she can cook us a home-cooked meal. This is unheard of at most colleges and people are shocked when I tell them about the good times I have at my professor’s house. The professors at Ouachita care deeply about and challenge each and every student. They extend profound amounts of help to their students so that these students can succeed in the classroom and eventually in life. As a Liberal Arts private college, classes are very difficult and require many hours of dedication, but in the long run, I know that I will be well prepared for my future. “Ouachita seeks to foster a love of God and a love of learning”. This mission statement could not be more accurate. As a Christian university, the love of God is instilled into the students. With weekly chapel and faith instilled classes, Ouachita students get the opportunity to improve themselves not only in the classroom but spiritually as well. The love of learning is obvious throughout the school. Professors and students alike have a passion to learn. I have this passion to learn and to grow as a student. Thanks to Ouachita, I have the ambition to improve and to be successful in school. The professors help me grow as a student and as a person, and I am so thankful for that. Ouachita Baptist University easily receives 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend my school to any high school student searching for a university that is seeking to make a difference in their life. I am extremely thankful that my favorite sport brought me to such an amazing university.

Ouachita Baptist University is changing my life. I can't believe that I have the opportunity to get a liberal arts education and be surrounded by God loving people. I have grown immensely over this past semester and I am eager to return to continue my education. The professors genuinely care about the students learning and they want to see you succeed. Being in the Musical Theatre department I was afraid the atmosphere would be competitive and I would have trouble making friends. Thankfully it was nothing like that. My professors make it clear that this is a learning atmosphere and everyone is keen to make it that way. If you stumble and make a mistake, you have tons of people to encourage you and to help you get through it. I have grown passion for learning, made friendships that are going to last a lifetime, and have had the opportunity to do it all by being a disciple of Christ, at Ouachita Baptist University. I am proud to say that I am a Ouachita Tiger.

Ashton

Ouachita Baptist University is a place that I look forward to calling "my home." It has a beautiful campus, a welcoming student body, and a faculty that is always available to answer questions from prospective and current students. OBU also has amazing academics, social clubs, and sports teams.

Kathryn

Ouachita Baptist University is a wonderful school if you like to learn in a small classroom where the student to teacher ratio is great. My favorite thing about Ouachita is that the professors are always available and they truly want the best for their students.

Coming into OBU, I was really scared. I lost my memory the year before, and academics were a real struggle for me. My acceptance was based on my academic ability before I lost my memory, so I really didn't know how I would do or who would be willing to help me. Everyday I was learning how to read again, do math again, play my instrument again and meeting new people who I had interviewed with but didn't remember. My band director was so kind. He worked with me everyday to help me get back the talent I had lost with my memory. Because of his kindness and encouragement, I changed my minor to music. My speech teacher is also a Godsend. Several of our assignments this past semester have been about childhood memories. I don't have any childhood memories due to the amnesia, so she has worked with me and allowed me to write about other things. OBU also offers free therapy for students who need it. I see the school's psychiatrist once a week, as well as a support staff for struggling students. She has really helped me to sort through my emotions and cope with losing my memory. I won't lie. Every day is a struggle, but with the help of my teachers and the support staff at OBU, I know I will be a success. So, in my opinion, Ouachita Baptist University is the only place to be!

Edgar

My overal opinion on Ouachita Baptist is that they are in incredible 4 year private college. It’s amazing their one to one classes where the students in the class range from 15-25 students. If you really want to learn and get the best experience come to Ouachita. There school isn’t the only thing hats great. The environment in which it is in there is so much to do around. For example hiking, going canoeing, joining events at school, sports or just simplie hanging out with friends. When I went for a visit college students would wave and smile. I didn’t even know them and everyone seemed nice which is something I think everyone wants around them. Ouachita is he place to go.

Allisha

Ouachita is really an amazing place. It's an environment that fosters learning in a liberal arts style. Over the course of the past year, it has become my home away from home. There is this thing that everyone calls the "Ouachita Bubble". You really feel like you're in another world. Everyone here wants to help you further yourself and your career. The professors and the students are amazing. It's honestly the best.

Kelsey

Ouachita is one hundred percent the best school in the state. I have never met more encouraging and helpful staff at any other school. The classes are intellectually challenging and the lectures are insightful. I can easily say I learn something new every day.

KRISTI

When I first heard about OBU, I thought that it was too good to be true. I had always wanted to go to a Christian University growing up, but always found them hypocritical and frauds. I will admit I was scared that OBU would turn out that way when I moved there. To my surprise and joy, they are true blue. The professors, faculty, and staff all want to live in a way that glorifies God and benefits the students. They desire to guide young people on a path to success in all forms, not just monetarily. They strive to inspire college students to be good people rather than just good majors. I know that I would not be happy anywhere else, but here. I am truly blessed to pursue my education here.

Sydney

Ouachita Baptist is a beautiful campus with a small but great student population. This allows students to meet other students and their professors. They are able to join together and learn about the lord and grow together in their faith. Their campus is one of the safest in the state of Arkansas, so everyone feels safe 24/7. The social clubs are amazing allow you to meet students that you otherwise might not have. Social clubs instead of Greek life allows students to save money, and focus more on school work. I'm so glad that God lead me to this amazing school.

Madison

Ouachita is a great place to be! The campus is small but very close! The people are extremely friendly and welcoming. The campus is directly on the Ouachita river, and it is within close proximity to DeGray lake. The academic are phenomenal! You can't go wrong with Ouachita!

Janet

Awesome! Ready to start! Looks like a fun place to learn and have a great time! Campus is beautiful with lots of activities and things to do! Social clubs are wonderful and provide good safe fun activities! Faculty and staff are very friendly and take pride in their university!

Morgan

The word "home" slips out of your mouth when referring to Ouachita after only a few months of living there. A home in the tight-knit freshmen dorms, in the blankets spread across campus lawns or the hammocks in the flowering trees, in the offices of professors that know and care about their students, in the late nights drinking Dr. Jack's coffee in the student center, in the emotionally and spiritually supportive friends that are much easier to find than to escape, in challenging and exciting classes, in the challenging and less exciting homework, in the quiet, freezing library, in the art displays of friends and the sporting events of lab partners, in the cafeteria's legendary Thanksgiving lunch, in the s'mores station at football games, in the music, in the dancing, in the running through sprinklers at 10 o'clock on humid, Arkansas spring nights. Suddenly it's home; it happens. And it's really nice when it does; it's a really nice place to call home.

Callie

I love it. It has become my home and I have only been there one semester. I have made really great friends, and have already gotten involved with the career path I plan to follow. I honestly was not excited to go home for breaks, and want to be there when I am on break.

Anna

It is a great school. When you come to visit people make an effort to talk to you and make sure you know where to go. The town it is in isn't the most interesting, but the school has plenty of things going and you can always find something to do. It is an expensive school, but well worth the cost.

James

Ouachita Baptist University is a great college with wonderful professors. Class sizes are perfect for learning and student academic achievement. I know that by having a degree from OBU I am fully prepared for my future.

Jacklynn

Ouachita Baptist University is not only a school, but a home. It encompasses the best parts of several universities into one beautiful campus. The professors are friendly, knowledgeable, available, and wonderfully helpful. The campus is beautiful and well-maintained by an equally as wonderful maintenance staff. The people at this campus want each student to succeed and puts forth the effort to see that happen. There are many on-campus activities that one can get involved with such as Rec Life, Campus Ministries, and Student Life. Each of those organizations has various events, activities, and inner-disciplines that a student could spend all their waking time being involved in and they are all extremely fun and low-cost to no-cost which is always a plus on the broke student budget. Fellow students are also great to be involved with in these groups because there are enough students that one can meet someone new often but also have an idea of who most of the other students are. The Hickingbotham School of Business is wonderful, along with the other schools here. HSB itself has many ways to get involved with local businessmen and women as well as non-locally. The dean is helpful and kind and the professors are all excited to teach their subjects as well as connect students with possible future employers. They are invested in students and want to help them be successful even after graduation. This is not exclusive to the business school though, this is the stance of the rest of the staff here. I could not have chosen a better college to attend.

Lacey

While I am not currently a student at Ouachita Baptist University, I will be in the fall of 2019. I went on a visit in November and absolutely loved the biology dean and how intentional he was with his students, he definitely made me feel like he was on my side. The campus is beautiful and is located on a bluff, the students are all great christian people and I look forward to living amongst them and joining their community.

Maddox

It is a great school with awesome students and teachers. There is an awesome atmosphere with great facilities. The school is all about getting people help. If you are struggling you can find help. the school also has good athletic programs.

Maggie

Ouachita is a small school but it allows for an incredible sense of community among the students and faculty. There are many opportunities to get involved with other students and the professors are dedicated to helping their students. I could not be any happier with my college choice and I am excited to spend the next three years there!

Jolie

I believe that it is an amazing place to go and am excited to attend there in the future. I believe that it will be a great place to continue my education and will be very prepared for life after I get out of college. I have only heard good things and am excited to experience it myself.

Cortnee

As a transfer student I had a difficult time acclimating. On my first day of classes my name didn’t show up on the list. I spent the entire day re-enrolling in all my classes. I had to track down the department head of each class. I ran all across a campus I knew nothing about. Needless to say, not a great first day. I also ended up being grouped with mostly freshman because I transferred even though I was a Junior. The school is ridiculously expensive. I think it was mostly because of the christian association which didn’t mean anything for me. They are known to have a really good theatre department which is why I ended up there. A good portion of the students partied just as much as students at other schools. They just had to go across the street to Henderson State University to do it. To have two colleges, Arkadelphia was lacking. To have many options for restaurants or activities, even shopping, you usually had to make the hours’ drive to Hot Springs or Little Rock. Social groups were the equivalent of fraternities or sororities. They were a huge part of the school. Very few people didn’t belong to one of them and if you didn’t, you were often left out. “Ring by Spring” is a common motto. The girls want to get married and you can go to OBU to set that up. There was a chick-fil-a on campus which was awesome. There was a Starbucks too, but the menu was limited, and they were always crazy busy. All in all, good school but the debt was not worth it. You can get the same degrees, that are just as good, from less expensive places.